1. 1. Who is the better QB?

http://nflminds.blogspot.com/2011/05/joe-flacco-vs-matt-ryan-debate.html

Sacks in Which the QB Held onto the Ball 3 Seconds or More:

Joe Flacco – 25 (1st in NFL by 5 sacks)

Matt Ryan – 7

Sacks in Which the QB Held onto the Ball 3 Seconds or Less:

Joe Flacco – 15

Matt Ryan – 16

Matt Ryan has also developed this reputation for being cool and calm under pressure executing the 2 minute drill to perfection, even gaining the nickname “Matty Ice” for his efforts late in games. However, this could not be further from the truth. Ryan has played terrible in the 2 minute offense. Last year with 2 minutes left in either half, Ryan was 41/81 (50.6%) for 446 yards (5.5 YPA), 5 TDs, 4 INTs, and a whopping QB Rtg of 67.2. Joe Flacco actually deserves that reputation. He was splendid operating the 2 minute drill last year. He posted a QB Rtg of 96.1 in the final 2 minutes of either half, throwing for 5 TDs and 1 INT on 51 attempts. Flacco was the more opportune QB overall. He was overall better in the 4th quarter than Ryan and was a bit better when playing from behind.

Just some interesting quotes from the blog. give us your thoughts, members!

But teh Flaccoz iz trblz

Rofl Chad Henne

I like Flacco, but he's not as good as Ryan.

I went Flacco. He's done the whole, you know, win a playoff game thing. You can say he's had all the the help in the world, but so has Matt Ryan. Also, Matt Ryan has had Roddy White all three years and Flacco only got a really good receiver last season.

I went Flacco. He's done the whole, you know, win a playoff game thing. You can say he's had all the the help in the world, but so has Matt Ryan. Also, Matt Ryan has had Roddy White all three years and Flacco only got a really good receiver last season.

and lets not pretend that Anquan Boldin is in the prime of his career.

and lets not pretend that Anquan Boldin is in the prime of his career.

Exactly. White is in his prime.

Now to be serious, I would rather have Ryan leading my offense than Flacco leading it.

Some of the stats are very telling. Ryan's stats in the two-minute drill are slightly surprising; maybe he is anti-clutch after all. As for Flacco, his stats may look good, but he sucked it up in the playoffs when it mattered. I'll give the edge to Matty right now.

But teh Flaccoz iz trblz

Yes, he is.

Well here are the two quarterback's playoff stats...

Joe Flacco (7 starts): 98/184 53.2% 1,050 yards 4 touchdowns and 7 interceptions

Matt Ryan (2 starts): 46/69 66.6% 385 yards 3 touchdowns and 4 interceptions

I know it's not a big body of work for either quarterback, but I trust my eyes and my eyes tell me that Matt Ryan is definitely the better quarterback. They say the best quarterbacks step their game up in the big playoff games, and for Flacco it seems like the exact opposite. It couldn't be any more of a Jekyll/Hyde effect for Flacco. All I know is they both really need to improve when it comes to the playoffs, but if anyone is actually looking to buy some Flacco stock I've got a lot that I'm willing to sell.

• Upvote 1

There both overated. But if I had to pick it would be Ryan.

Definitely an interesting debate. Here's a couple of pretty important stats I thought I'd throw in...

TD/INT and Comp% when under pressure:

Matt Ryan - 10/1 - 52.7%

Joe Flacco - 5/4 - 46.9%

Flacco definitely has a better ability to make the big play (12TDs when throwing over 20+yds vs 4TDs for Ryan), but Ryan seems to be more accurate in the short to mid-range. Personally, I'd probably have to go with Ryan. He seems to possess a cooler head in the pocket (more often than Flacco) and looks a natural born leader.

Edited by RANGA

There both overated. But if I had to pick it would be Ryan.

This.

Just more evidence proving Matt Ryan is overrated and benefits greatly from his surrounding cast. Not that he isn't a good QB but some people are actually labeling him a top-6 QB. I still think Matt is a better QB than Flacco though. Slightly, anyway. They have very comparable stats but Ryan doesn't turn the ball over as much and that includes fumbles which Flacco had 9 of in comparison to Ryans 4.

Also while the stats don't show it I watched both QB's last year and while Ryan missed a lot of his the final minutes he was great on 3rd downs and helped the Falcons get down the field for a TD by either him or Turner. Ryan had 4 more come backs and 5 more winning drives.

I'll take Flacco.

He's never had a receiver like White, and has had continuous success on offense.

Although, I almost voted for Henne because im not a fan of either.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Joe Flacco?

The guy that can't beat his main rival in Ben Roeth? Please...

Guys got a cannon arm, but he looks lost and confused half the time once teams start to put pressure on him. Flacco has SIX viable options to throw the ball to in Todd Heap, Housh, Boldin (who's still in his prime), Mason (who has great hands and understanding of defenses still), Dickson (who's an up and coming TE), and then...he has Ray Rice to dump the ball off too out of the backfield. Yeah, he's one some playoff games..but has he done any of those himself? No

That defense, and his supporting cast make him look good, he doesn't make them look good.

Matt Ryan yes..is not as clutch as it seems..but he himself, took a 4-12 team..to a 9-7 playoff team the next year, with no defensive help whatsoever..also..Ryan really only has 3 reliable guys to throw the ball too in White, Gonzo (who's aging), and Michael Jenkins (who's primarily a run blocking WR). Turner is NOT used as a receiving option out of the backfield..pretty sure he didn't even get near 200 yards receiving last year. Fact is, Matt Ryan is still young, and he's still learning, yeah he's got some problems, but HE himself is leading this team to wins.

Derrick Mason is a hell of a receiver.

I don't like either of them... Put them on mediocre teams and they both blow ass. One is a glorified game manager, and the other pisses himself under pressure. WINNING. Or not.

I don't like either of them... Put them on mediocre teams and they both blow ass. One is a glorified game manager, and the other pisses himself under pressure. WINNING. Or not.

I wouldn't say they would blow ass, but I agree that they both are overrated and would not have anywhere near the success they are having now if put on an average team.

There are some other young QB's I'd take over these 2. Luckily, I have one of those guys on my team.

Edited by GoodellFTL

Freeman and Bradford are both much better. I know they aren't from the same draft but still.

Freeman and Bradford are both much better. I know they aren't from the same draft but still.

Yep, and if Stafford can stay healthy, I'd take him over them too.

Matt Ryan has wielded good teams both times he got into the playoffs. The first time, they lost a game they shouldn't have. The second time, they got their shit kicked.

Flacco > Ryan

I don't care about his playoff stats, the kid wins games. He's gotten better by the year. He'll break out this coming season.