Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Jags hand Marcedes Lewis a five-year contract

Per Rotoworld.com:

Marcedes Lewis indicated that he wouldn't be willing to play for the franchise tag this season.

"Who wants to play under a one-year contract? That's not cool," said Lewis. "Especially when you have played five years and given your sweat, blood and tears to the team and laid it out there every Sunday, putting your body on the line." Both Lewis and the Jags want to reach a long-term accord, but it sounds like Lewis might consider a holdout if a deal isn't struck before the season. Jun 16, 12:34 PM

Source: Pro Football Weekly

Edited by BLUE

Lock him up.

What Blaine said! We need Lewis! :D

Per Rotoworld.com:

Jaguars GM Gene Smith says signing franchise player Marcedes Lewis to a long-term contract will be "at the top" of his to-do list once the transactions freeze is lifted.

Lewis recently expressed hesitance at playing under the franchise tag, so this doesn't come as much of a surprise. A long-term deal should get done, and though Lewis is highly unlikely to repeat his breakout 2010, he should be a borderline TE1 in 10-to-12 team leagues this season. Jul 17, 11:29 AM

Source: Florida Times Union

Yeah, this looks like one of those situations where in a normal offseason Lewis would have gotten a contract already, but because of the lockout, he's been sweating it out a little.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Jaguars signed TE Marcedes Lewis to a five-year contract.

Lewis becomes the second franchise player to get a long-term deal today, following Steelers OLB LaMarr Woodley. Per the Florida Times Union, Lewis will earn slightly less than $18 million in guaranteed money and slightly less than $35 million total. It's a lot to pay for a guy that never had more than two touchdowns in a season before his 2010 breakout. The Jags may have "bought high" here, something fantasy owners should avoid with Lewis. Aug 5, 9:15 AM

Source: Vito Stellino on Twitter

Just a guy who played well for his contract. Stupid move by Jacksonville.

Just a guy who played well for his contract. Stupid move by Jacksonville.

:laugh:

:nope:

• Upvote 1

:laugh:

:nope:

Nice rebuttal.

But in all seriousness, he never caught more than 500 yards or 2 TDs in a season prior to last year. He didn't even have 10 TDs in his career before last year. You can't tell me that he's earned such a huge contract after one year. Just like I said about Haynesworth: Hell of a player when he wants to be, but that's a rarity.

Lewis is no different.

Does he have the talent and ability to live up to that contract? Yes. Will he want to? Highly doubt it.

Nice rebuttal.

But in all seriousness, he never caught more than 500 yards or 2 TDs in a season prior to last year. He didn't even have 10 TDs in his career before last year. You can't tell me that he's earned such a huge contract after one year. Just like I said about Haynesworth: Hell of a player when he wants to be, but that's a rarity.

Lewis is no different.

Does he have the talent and ability to live up to that contract? Yes. Will he want to? Highly doubt it.

I'm not sure you'll find anyone that agrees with your sentiment.

As far as his production goes, that has more to do with how he was used offensively, as well as the fact that our line has sucked the past couple years so he was asked to stay in to block.

And yeah, I do think he's earned it. He's gotten better each year he's been in the league, and what he means to the offense as a blocker, yeah, he's worth it.

• Upvote 1

How was he used differently(Not a sarcastic remark, serious question.)?

I can't see it being drastic enough to make him catch 300 more yards and 8 more TDs than what he did on the average in previous seasons, lol.

I think there's far too many good blocking tight ends in this league for one to be worth so much because of his blocking skills.

I think more so what bugs me is how much they paid him. Roughly 7mil a year when you average it out, when a guy like Todd Heap, who was dominant as a pass catcher and blocker for nearly 10 years in this league got a contract that isn't even worth 7 million total.

I can't see it being drastic enough to make him catch 300 more yards and 8 more TDs than what he did on the average in previous seasons, lol.

I think there's far too many good blocking tight ends in this league for one to be worth so much because of his blocking skills.

I think more so what bugs me is how much they paid him. Roughly 7mil a year when you average it out, when a guy like Todd Heap, who was dominant as a pass catcher and blocker for nearly 10 years in this league got a contract that isn't even worth 7 million total.

Our line got better with the additions of Monroe and Britton, coupled with the resurgence Meester, so Marcedes wasn't asked to stay in and block as much. That correlates to him being able to be used in the passing game more effectively.

He is one of the best overall TE's in the league, and definitely one of the best blocking TE's.

He progressively got better each year, and now with our line getting better and better each year he will become way more involved in our passing attack. He is one of the key players on the Jags and he deserved this contract.

Anyways, you probably watch the Jags enough to realize how important he is to this team, so I don't know why I am even typing this. :beerchug2:

For one, he wasn't used a redzone threat early on in his career, IIRC, which they're doing now

If he was solely a blocking TE, then yeah, but he's not. His receiving skills are better than he's getting credit for.

I'm curious, did you feel the same way about Vernon Davis after he got his contract for similar production?

Would you not say, though, that Todd Heap is on the downside of his career?

Yes, I felt the same way about Vernon Davis.

No, I don't think Heap is on the downside of his career yet. Probably 2-3 years away from that, IMO.

Doing a little more research on TE contracts, Gates' contract was 6 years for 39million, Witten is still on a 7 year/29million dollar contract, Tony Gonzalez is only making 5 million this year, and he's still playing at a decently high level, Dallas Clark signed a 6year/36 million dollar deal in 08, Zach Miller just signed a 5 year/34 million dollar deal after 3 straight years of very good play on a very bad team(QB situation wise, at least).

Lewis' contract is not justifiable. Not at all, IMO. Maybe he comes out and does play like he did last year, however, you can't justify paying him that much money(elite TE money), with only 1 year of elite TE production.

If I'm picking a TE, he's not getting picked ahead of Gates, Witten, Gonzo, Clark or Miller, I know that much.

I would have rather told Lewis to go elsewhere and given that contract to Zach Miller, personally. A guy who has shown he can play like that on a consistent basis.

Lewis' contract is not justifiable. Not at all, IMO. Maybe he comes out and does play like he did last year, however, you can't justify paying him that much money(elite TE money), with only 1 year of elite TE production.

He is an elite TE, who got a elite contract. Whenever we use him downfield he is productive. Due to his great blocking skills we had to use him more on the line - reducing his catch numbers. If that's all you want to look at in determining whether he is an elite TE or not, then go ahead, but it's the wrong way to go about judging one of the better TE's in the game today.

No, I don't think Heap is on the downside of his career yet. Probably 2-3 years away from that, IMO.

Doing a little more research on TE contracts, Gates' contract was 6 years for 39million, Witten is still on a 7 year/29million dollar contract, Tony Gonzalez is only making 5 million this year, and he's still playing at a decently high level, Dallas Clark signed a 6year/36 million dollar deal in 08, Zach Miller just signed a 5 year/34 million dollar deal after 3 straight years of very good play on a very bad team(QB situation wise, at least).

If I'm picking a TE, he's not getting picked ahead of Gates, Witten, Gonzo, Clark or Miller, I know that much.

I would have rather told Lewis to go elsewhere and given that contract to Zach Miller, personally. A guy who has shown he can play like that on a consistent basis.

Witten is the best TE football, so... it's safe to say he is better.

Gonzalez is OBVIOUSLY at the end of his career. Not as effective as a pass catcher, and he was never a great blocker.

Clark is an average blocker at best (and has Peyton Manning throwing to him)

Gates & Heap are pretty horrid blockers.

And saying Zack is consistent is kind of odd. Sounds like you are only comparing TE's pass catching ability?

As an all around TE... being viable on EVERY down as a threat in the passing game and as a blocker... You will be hard pressed to find someone better than Lewis last year. And he is working with an incompetent coach and qb.... Big props to Lewis.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

AirMcNair: Just look at the Top 10 TE's thread in the General Talk section. Compare how Zach Miller and Marcedes are ranked, might suprise you, even though it shouldn't.

Also, we had Todd Bouman (yeah, exactly) start a game for us last year. So it's not like our QB scneario is anything special - even with DG lining up back there somehow throwing them 2 feet over Lewis' outstretched hands. Can't wait for the Gabbert era.

Edited by The Admiral

Yeah, but everyone knew that Vernon Davis wouldn't continue with the production. Marcedes Lewis is twice the player that Davis is.

Passing and blocking, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone other than Jason Witten who's better than Marcedes.

Gonzo and Dallas Clark over Marcedes Lewis? Give me a break, AirMcNair. Your homerism is stretching to the point that you're unwilling to admit that a divisional opponent has an elite TE. Are you going to sit there and tell me that Reggie Wayne isn't an elite WR? Gonna tell me that Matt Schaub isn't an elite QB?

Since you say you would take Gonzo and Clark over Lewis I'm going to assume that your basing this purely by recieving ablity right?

Witten is the best TE football, so... it's safe to say he is better.

Gonzalez is OBVIOUSLY at the end of his career. Not as effective as a pass catcher, and he was never a great blocker.

Clark is an average blocker at best (and has Peyton Manning throwing to him)

Gates & Heap are pretty horrid blockers.

And saying Zack is consistent is kind of odd. Sounds like you are only comparing TE's pass catching ability?

As an all around TE... being viable on EVERY down as a threat in the passing game and as a blocker... You will be hard pressed to find someone better than Lewis last year. And he is working with an incompetent coach and qb.... Big props to Lewis.

I'm talking just in terms of ability right now with Gonzo, given he's been consistent with it. Not really looking at the long haul thing with him.

Clark is indeed an average blocker. However, like I said above, it's incredibly easy to find a good, even great blocking tight end.

Gates and Heap are not horrid blockers. Do you forget what teams they played for? Gates helped block for this one guy named LaDainian Tomlinson. Maybe you've heard of him, someone told me he's a top 10 RB of all time, I dunno, they were probably pulling my leg, though.

Heap was a starter on a run dominant team. I'm sorry, if he wasn't a good blocker, he wouldn't have been starting there. I can guarantee you that. They were so far from a passing team, even when McNair was there they stuck to the run game. Only recently with Flacco have they developed a passing game and even then, Ray Rice was a huge part of their offense.

I promise you those 2 didn't just play on passing downs. They stayed out there each and every drive, and their blocking is most definitely not horrid.

No, because Zach could block too. However, at the same time, like I've said before, finding a blocking tight end isn't even remotely difficult. So yes, I do weigh their receiving ability a bit a higher than their blocking ability, but I still consider it all the same.

Yeah, but everyone knew that Vernon Davis wouldn't continue with the production. Marcedes Lewis is twice the player that Davis is.

Passing and blocking, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone other than Jason Witten who's better than Marcedes.

Gonzo and Dallas Clark over Marcedes Lewis? Give me a break, AirMcNair. Your homerism is stretching to the point that you're unwilling to admit that a divisional opponent has an elite TE. Are you going to sit there and tell me that Reggie Wayne isn't an elite WR? Gonna tell me that Matt Schaub isn't an elite QB?

You probably didn't even pay any attention to Marcedes Lewis before last year and now you're in this thread claiming him close to the same level as Jason Witten. The roflcopter is really taking off on this post.

Homerism? What, because I'm talking about Lewis homerism has to factor in to this? If this was a thread about some TE outside of the division(like Vernon Davis), would you be calling me a homer there, too? No. So shut the fuck up with that nonsense. I'm more than capable of having a debate without bringing homerism in to it, thank you. That'd be about as stupid as me saying you're a homer for calling Jason Witten the best in the league. Just because you're a Cowboys fan, doesn't make what you said false or a homeristic statement. Plus, did you not realize that Dallas Clark is in this division, too? Yeah, that makes your homer statement look even more retarded. Congratulations.

And for the record, yes I think Wayne is an elite receiver, and no I don't find Schaub to be an elite QB. I have him just outside the elite tier. He's on the "very good tier".

Since you say you would take Gonzo and Clark over Lewis I'm going to assume that your basing this purely by recieving ablity right?

Not purely, but like I said, it weighs more than blocking for the simple fact of how easy it is to find a blocking TE in this league.

• Upvote 1

I'm talking just in terms of ability right now with Gonzo, given he's been consistent with it. Not really looking at the long haul thing with him.

Clark is indeed an average blocker. However, like I said above, it's incredibly easy to find a good, even great blocking tight end.

Gates and Heap are not horrid blockers. Do you forget what teams they played for? Gates helped block for this one guy named LaDainian Tomlinson. Maybe you've heard of him, someone told me he's a top 10 RB of all time, I dunno, they were probably pulling my leg, though.

Heap was a starter on a run dominant team. I'm sorry, if he wasn't a good blocker, he wouldn't have been starting there. I can guarantee you that. They were so far from a passing team, even when McNair was there they stuck to the run game. Only recently with Flacco have they developed a passing game and even then, Ray Rice was a huge part of their offense.

I promise you those 2 didn't just play on passing downs. They stayed out there each and every drive, and their blocking is most definitely not horrid.

No, because Zach could block too. However, at the same time, like I've said before, finding a blocking tight end isn't even remotely difficult. So yes, I do weigh their receiving ability a bit a higher than their blocking ability, but I still consider it all the same.

Tony is nothing above mediocre right now. He's at the end of his career and just doesn't have the same umph he once did.

Gates and Heap ARE horrid blockers. Especially in the running game. Just because a TE plays on a good team, or with a good offensive line, or with a great back doesn't automatically make him a great blocker. Jamaal Charles is the best back in the league... Does that mean the Chiefs also have the best OLine in the league? Far from it. Your proof to defend Gates as a blocker was a statement about his former running back. Not sure how that logic works.

Again... Just because Heap has a good O-Line on a dominant rushing team does not automatically make him a good blocker. He's had up and down years, but more times than not, he is a complete failure in the blocking department.

Nobody said they came out on blocking downs. You are making some faulty assumptions and making yourself look fairly unintelligent. If a team takes out a TE in ALL blocking situations, I am pretty sure defensive coordinators are going to catch on sooner or later, which would further limit their entire offenses effectiveness, as well as their ability to catch passes.

What I am saying is.... When they are put in to block. They are terrible.

Zack struggled as a blocker until last year (2010), so I am not really sure where you are going with that.

And again, nobody is saying it's hard to find a blocking TE. You are sitting here, kind of making up arguments and points for yourself to defend to make yourself appear right. If you would stick with what we are actually saying, and not what you want us to say, you really have no foundation for a defense.

We are NOT saying it's hard to find a blocking TE. But rather a guy who can block AND catch with equal effectiveness. There are TE's out there who are good blockers.... Martellus Bennett, Robert Royal, etc etc. But they aren't a huge factor in the passing game.

What Marcedes Lewis brings to the table is that dual threat that not many TE's in the NFL are able to.

Tony is nothing above mediocre right now. He's at the end of his career and just doesn't have the same umph he once did.

Nothing above mediocre but still outperformed what Marcedes Lewis did in his average year prior to last year. What does that tell you?

Gates and Heap ARE horrid blockers. Especially in the running game. Just because a TE plays on a good team, or with a good offensive line, or with a great back doesn't automatically make him a great blocker. Jamaal Charles is the best back in the league... Does that mean the Chiefs also have the best OLine in the league? Far from it. Your proof to defend Gates as a blocker was a statement about his former running back. Not sure how that logic works.

No, they're not. All I ever heard from Ravens fans was how Todd Heap continued to improve his blocking year in and year out, and over time became a very reliable blocker. So yes, maybe coming in to the league his blocking was sub-par, but it's far from that now. Just watch him in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8K7MbVkukM A lot of the time he's blocking better than the o-line..

He doesn't pancake d-lineman, but good fucking luck getting off of his block.

Antonio Gates isn't a dominant blocker, but he's far from mediocre. This isn't 2005 anymore. He's developed his game from a glorified WR to an all-around TE. I have no stats than can say this or that, but watching him play, the last thing I think of his blocking skills is horrid.

Again... Just because Heap has a good O-Line on a dominant rushing team does not automatically make him a good blocker. He's had up and down years, but more times than not, he is a complete failure in the blocking department.

A good o-line isn't going to cover up for a bad blocking tight end. He still has his responsibility for blocking his guy. A responsibility that he takes care of.

Nobody said they came out on blocking downs. You are making some faulty assumptions and making yourself look fairly unintelligent. If a team takes out a TE in ALL blocking situations, I am pretty sure defensive coordinators are going to catch on sooner or later, which would further limit their entire offenses effectiveness, as well as their ability to catch passes.

What I am saying is.... When they are put in to block. They are terrible.

Then I guess it's a good thing that I didn't say that you guys said that. I was making a general statement. I'm not making assumptions or putting words in to anyones mouth or anything of that nature.

And no, they're not terrible. They may not be Anthony Munoz out there blocking, but they're sure as fuck not terrible.

Zack struggled as a blocker until last year (2010), so I am not really sure where you are going with that.

I haven't been able to watch much of Zach, but from talking to Raiders fans, listening to analysts during the games and etc, they praise his all-around ability. I have no reason to not believe them, because he is widely considered a very good tight end in this league, even among coaches.

And again, nobody is saying it's hard to find a blocking TE. You are sitting here, kind of making up arguments and points for yourself to defend to make yourself appear right. If you would stick with what we are actually saying, and not what you want us to say, you really have no foundation for a defense.

We are NOT saying it's hard to find a blocking TE. But rather a guy who can block AND catch with equal effectiveness. There are TE's out there who are good blockers.... Martellus Bennett, Robert Royal, etc etc. But they aren't a huge factor in the passing game.

What Marcedes Lewis brings to the table is that dual threat that not many TE's in the NFL are able to.

Making up arguments? How am I doing that? I'm making statements. I'm not claiming you guys said this or that, I'm making a statement involving my opinion. That it's not hard to find a blocking tight end in this league, which is why I value how good they are at catching the ball over how well they can block.

And I don't think the dual threat is THAT rare in the NFL, nor do I think Marcedes Lewis has earned the right to be called a dual threat until he does it on a consistent basis.

If we judged players off of one year in this league, it'd be an absolute disaster. Because there just isn't anything else to reference off of that the player will continue his elite play. Especially when you have certain circumstances, such as him being in the last year of his contract and wanting more money.

Most fans outside of the AFC South had no clue who Marcedes Lewis was, and he was just considered your average tight end, nothing special, but nothing bad about him either. And now he's being compared with Jason Witten, and that's just stupid.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nothing above mediocre but still outperformed what Marcedes Lewis did in his average year prior to last year. What does that tell you?

Marcedes is better than Tony is right now. He's a better blocker. He's a bigger threat in the passing game. I love Tony, and he is one of my favorite players ever... But he's old and just not as effective.

No, they're not. All I ever heard from Ravens fans was how Todd Heap continued to improve his blocking year in and year out, and over time became a very reliable blocker. So yes, maybe coming in to the league his blocking was sub-par, but it's far from that now. Just watch him in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8K7MbVkukM A lot of the time he's blocking better than the o-line..

He doesn't pancake d-lineman, but good fucking luck getting off of his block.

At the ABSOLUTE prime of that Ravens DLine and RB situation, I will forfeit the argument only slightly. But it's all been downhill from there. Posting a Youtube video of the best plays from Ray Rice proves nothing. OBVIOUSLY he's going to show competence in a highlight reel.... lol. I am not talking about just Ray Rice's best plays. I'm talking overall ability.

Antonio Gates isn't a dominant blocker, but he's far from mediocre. This isn't 2005 anymore. He's developed his game from a glorified WR to an all-around TE. I have no stats than can say this or that, but watching him play, the last thing I think of his blocking skills is horrid.

Atrocious. He isn't an all-around TE. He's a very large WR that sometimes lines up on the line.

A good o-line isn't going to cover up for a bad blocking tight end. He still has his responsibility for blocking his guy. A responsibility that he takes care of.
Obviously you didn't get your own memo... Because your defense of a TE's blocking ability, was the blocking ability of his O-Line.

Then I guess it's a good thing that I didn't say that you guys said that. I was making a general statement. I'm not making assumptions or putting words in to anyones mouth or anything of that nature.

And no, they're not terrible. They may not be Anthony Munoz out there blocking, but they're sure as fuck not terrible.

You are... You are defending statements like... I don't think it's hard to find a blocking TE. That's great, but it has no relevance to this thread at all.

I haven't been able to watch much of Zach, but from talking to Raiders fans, listening to analysts during the games and etc, they praise his all-around ability. I have no reason to not believe them, because he is widely considered a very good tight end in this league, even among coaches.

He's still young. When he came into the league, he wasn't all that great. Slowly but surely he is improving his game in all aspects, including as a blocker which he was MUCH better at in 10 than he was previously. He will only continue to get better, or I hope he will, in Seattle.

Making up arguments? How am I doing that? I'm making statements. I'm not claiming you guys said this or that, I'm making a statement involving my opinion. That it's not hard to find a blocking tight end in this league, which is why I value how good they are at catching the ball over how well they can block.

And I don't think the dual threat is THAT rare in the NFL, nor do I think Marcedes Lewis has earned the right to be called a dual threat until he does it on a consistent basis.

If we judged players off of one year in this league, it'd be an absolute disaster. Because there just isn't anything else to reference off of that the player will continue his elite play. Especially when you have certain circumstances, such as him being in the last year of his contract and wanting more money.

Most fans outside of the AFC South had no clue who Marcedes Lewis was, and he was just considered your average tight end, nothing special, but nothing bad about him either. And now he's being compared with Jason Witten, and that's just stupid.

It's perfectly okay that you want consistency. But if that's the case, why are you bringing up Zach Miller? Lewis has been in the league longer and has been better than Miller, consistently.

Just like Miller is growing as a blocker, Lewis is growing in the passing game. He has the ability, and the Jaguars have just recently began giving him more opportunities to thrive in that role. Which is why nobody really cared about him. People, like you, only care about TE's who have flashy catching stats, they don't care about the great blocking TE's in the league.

And sure enough..> As Lewis began crawling out of his shell in the passing game, people finally started taking notice of his immense ability.

And to say all around TE's aren't that rare is kind of stupid... Being that in the list you gave... You really only had 1 all around TE in Witten. Another would be Zach Miller, but according to you, he also shouldn't count... being that Lewis has been just as consistent, and has gotten better every year and doesn't belong in the same category.

And if anyone... You are the one judging Lewis off one year. The one year he exploded as an offensive threat. The rest of us are taking his entire career as a CONSISTENT and dominant blocking tight end. Something you are casually forgetting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Jason Witten argument is purely based on the fact that Marcedes can block and catch. That doesn't mean they're even close to the same player. Everyone here knows (even the Cowboys haters) that Jason Witten is a once in a lifetime type of player at the Tight End position. Dallas will NEVER have a player like him again after he retires. He's on a whole different spectrum. Just because I put them both in the same sentence doesn't mean they're close to the same player.

• Upvote 1

I'm getting very bored of repeating the same thing over and over again(just as I'm sure you are), so we can agree to disagree, and I will just say this to clear up any confusion regarding my argument:

My opinion is:

Marcedes Lewis has done nothing to earn such a huge contract. I'm well aware he's been a dominant blocker his entire career, however, dominant blocking does not earn you that contract. The reason I bring up it's easy to find a blocking tight end is because the only thing that Marcedes Lewis has shown on a consistant basis is that he can block. Now we all know no one is going to go out and pay that much for a blocking tight end. Example of that is Titans just gave Daniel Graham, a blocking tight end, 3years/8.5mil.

What you guys are trying to tell me is that he's an elite player in both aspects. What I'm saying in return is he needs more than one year of elite receiving production to justify that. I've also brought up the fact that I'm of the belief that he only played to that level for a new contract. There is no arguing that for either side, the only thing we can do is wait and see.

I've never denied that Marcedes Lewis has the talent or ability to be an elite receiver. My debate was that he's only played up to that for one year, which just so happened to be his contract year, therefor, I don't believe that he was worthy of such a large contract, a contract that only guys like Jason Witten deserve to receive.

He could very well come out and play like the best tight end in the league and go down as one of the best ever. However, in my opinion, he's not going to because all he wanted was the money, and therefor, as my original point was, it's incredibly stupid to pay him so much money.

So, lets agree to disagree and just see what unfolds.