WindyCitySports

Greatest rivalry in all of sports?

I'll do it sport-by-sport and then greatest in all of sports at the end.

NFL: Bears-Packers

MLB: Yankees-Red Sox

NBA: Celtics-Lakers

NHL: Blackhawks-Red Wings

College: Michigan-Ohio State

Overall: BEARS-PACKERS

Celtics-Lakers, IMO.

• Upvote 2

Taking an unbiased stand point, I would have to say the Yankees vs Redsox is the greatest rivalry due to it being so well known even among many non-baseball fans, as well as it having lasted some 110 years now

Michigan/Ohio State

Yankees/Red Sox

There are many others, but these two are kinda on a level by themselves IMO.

Michigan/Ohio State

Yankees/Red Sox

There are many others, but these two are kinda on a level by themselves IMO.

I kind of agree. I put Bears-Packers because I am a little biased, but those two do kind of stand out. Although I still think Bears-Packers is a huge rivalry, it's just relaxed in recent years.

Although I still think Bears-Packers is a huge rivalry, it's just relaxed in recent years.

Translation: the Bears suck, so the rivalry hasn't been as intense.

:wink:

Michigan-Ohio State?

My obvious bias comes into play here, but I think Notre Dame-USC is bigger than that one. Here are my reasons:

1. They don't share a conference, meaning they don't have to play each other, yet they do, with the series only interrupted during WWII.

2. 23 National Championships combined. You don't win any of those without going through that rival.

3. A combined 13 Heisman Trophy winners, the most college football All-Americans, and the Trojans and Irish sit at No. 1 and 2 for most players drafted by the NFL. You won't find a more star-studded rivalry.

4. USC was down in the 90s, as the Irish were the past 10 years, but regardless, since 1978 the teams have played to a standstill, posting a record of 16-16-1.

Arguments can be made for Alabama-Auburn, Oklahoma-Texas, Miami-Florida State and countless others, but that's my argument for USC-Notre Dame.

• Upvote 2

I don't think there is any rivalry bigger than Ohio State and Michigan but a close second is Yankees/RedSox.

Ohio St. and Michigan have been going at it for roughly 75 years. And with the addition of Nebraska and two seperate divison there is a chance both team meet in the Big 10 Championship now which could make it even more intense. However I don't think either tea will be there for a couple years minimum.

Colts/Patriots, Steelers/Ravens, USA/USSR hockey, Texas/Oklahoma are all good ones too.

The Celtics and Lakers have met 11 times in the NBA Finals. That's pretty awesome.

• Upvote 1

Bears-Packers = historic rivalry

Vikings-Packers = more exciting currently because of the Favre thing.

Coming from a Packer fan, playing the Vikings gets me more pumped up than the Bears, though only by a little. The Packers and Bears need to do something to put some meaning into the rivalry. The NFCCG did it a bit, but that whole Favre ordeal that just brought it home for the rivalry with the Vikings.

Edited by gobadgers77

Yankees/Red Sox is the biggest rivalry in all of sports in my opinion.

Your chicago colors are showing. The biggest rivalry in hockey is Canadiens-Bruins in terms of hockey or Canadiens-Maple Leafs in a more cultural context.

Now the biggest rivalry is obviously Mizzou-kansas. We've burnt lawrence down to the ground for petes sake. ;)

Michigan-Ohio State?

My obvious bias comes into play here, but I think Notre Dame-USC is bigger than that one. Here are my reasons:

1. They don't share a conference, meaning they don't have to play each other, yet they do, with the series only interrupted during WWII.

2. 23 National Championships combined. You don't win any of those without going through that rival.

3. A combined 13 Heisman Trophy winners, the most college football All-Americans, and the Trojans and Irish sit at No. 1 and 2 for most players drafted by the NFL. You won't find a more star-studded rivalry.

4. USC was down in the 90s, as the Irish were the past 10 years, but regardless, since 1978 the teams have played to a standstill, posting a record of 16-16-1.

Arguments can be made for Alabama-Auburn, Oklahoma-Texas, Miami-Florida State and countless others, but that's my argument for USC-Notre Dame.

I still think UM-OSU is bigger, but I like this response because I am a ND fan who feels like ND-USC is an underrated rivalry. It felt so good finally beating you guys last year.

I understand the fanhood between Michigan and Ohio State is larger than one state, but Auburn and Alabama have been taking to it another level. I mean killing trees on campus and fighting over putting clothes on a statue? That's intense. Let's not forget how dominate their teams have been lately either. Ohio State essentially cruises through their division then murdered Michigan year after year. That's not much of a rivalry these days, but I do understand the hatred between the two is extremely strong.

Since this is "of all sports," I'm voting for Real Madrid vs FC Barca. THAT is a rivalry.

What about the Dodgers-Giants rivalry in MLB? That is the longest rivalry to date.

I understand the fanhood between Michigan and Ohio State is larger than one state, but Auburn and Alabama have been taking to it another level. I mean killing trees on campus and fighting over putting clothes on a statue? That's intense. Let's not forget how dominate their teams have been lately either. Ohio State essentially cruises through their division then murdered Michigan year after year. That's not much of a rivalry these days, but I do understand the hatred between the two is extremely strong.

Since this is "of all sports," I'm voting for Real Madrid vs FC Barca. THAT is a rivalry.

I like the Iron Bowl, but the only problem I would have with Auburn-Alabama being called the "greatest" is the 41 year gap in scheduling where they didn't play each other at all.

Best rivalry in all of hockey is the Maple leafs vs Canadians

• Upvote 2

Best rivalry in all of hockey is the Maple leafs vs Canadians

No doubt about that. Too bad it's gone sour in the last five years with Toronto having shit teams.

• Upvote 1

Reds-Cardinals: Gaining some heat in the past few years, and is probably the most heated rivalry in baseball, at the moment. Not all time, but I think currently is the most heated in MLB.

North Carolina-Duke: I'm not sure if there is any arguments that this is the greatest college basketball rivalr. UM/OSU ND/USC are big in football, but not so much in basketball.

I'm not even close to saying that Louisville-Kentucky is one of the greatest rivalries, but in terms of fan hate for eachother it has to be near the top.

Well I am a Steelers fan and this rivalry has given me quite a few memorable moments so I'm going with Steelers-Ravens.

Greetings, great thread.

I wanted to chime in on this college football debate, there are some great historic rivalries out there, but if we're talking today, right here and now its Alabama/Auburn by a country mile. It doesnt really matter that the rivalry was suspended through 2 world wars, and the Depression, the hatred festered over that 40 years and every year it just gets worse.

Its a 24/7/365 mutual disgust that invades every level of society in the state of Alabama. Five year old kids get in fistfights at Kindergarten over this thing, and generally started by Alabama sympathizers. I lived up there for 8 years and I have never seen anything like it, and even though I went to school in Knoxville, I'd never experienced anything like the Iron Bowl. In college football, its number 1.

NFL: Patriots/Colts

In all of sport: Yankees/Red Sox

I don't give a flyin flip about the NBA.

Now this takes me back to when I was a little kid. Greatest rivalry? Would have to be Raiders vs Seahawks in the 1980's IN Seattle. I know there are many others that people would say that are a bigger rivalry but the Raiders in the 1980's would play so DIRTY that when they came to town they would piss everyone off. Seahawks, The Refs, the coaches, and the fans we would all be pissed off by the end of the game....

Now this takes me back to when I was a little kid. Greatest rivalry? Would have to be Raiders vs Seahawks in the 1980's IN Seattle. I know there are many others that people would say that are a bigger rivalry but the Raiders in the 1980's would play so DIRTY that when they came to town they would piss everyone off. Seahawks, The Refs, the coaches, and the fans we would all be pissed off by the end of the game....

Trust me when I say people in Seattle may have considered the Raiders a best rivalry, but Raider fans have never seen it the same. If you asked a Raiders fan their biggest rivals throughout history, Seattle would never enter the discussion.

This is based off today, not all time

NFL: Ravens-Steelers

MLB: Cards-Reds

NBA: Celtics-Lakers

College: Auburn-Bama