Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Redskins Sign Former Rival Barry Cofield To 6-Yr Deal

Washington tried weaking division opponent New York early Wednesday, reaching agreement with DT Barry Cofield on a six-year deal.

Schefter

:rofl: Chalk one up for the fucking Redskins. Wow

Oh no!Why would you sign with the Skins? You aren't even a 3-4 player.

Would have preferred him out of the division...wonder how much good ol' Danny is paying him over those six years.

WOW!!!!

So Cofield at DE????

Does this take Washington out of contention for Cullen Jenkins?

Does this take Washington out of contention for Cullen Jenkins?

I don't think so. Kinda depends what the Redskins decide to do with Cofield, but a team is going to need money if they wanna sign Cullen and I have no doubt in my mind regardless of this signing, Snyder will dish it out.

Hopefully they give him a six-year deal too :p

PFT confirms this signing and adds

Cofield will help to fill the Haynesworth-sized hole in the middle of Washington’s defensive line. Don’t be surprised if the Redskins still aggressively pursue other linemen, like Cullen Jenkins.

This has "not gonna work out" written all over it. I love Cofield's motor, but he's excelled in a 4-3 scheme. It's not that easy to just plug a guy like that into 3-4. Imagine putting Dwight Freeney at 3-4 DE. Not gonna work out. Is Cofield of the same caliber as Freeney? No, but it'll be a shame if he doesn't work out for Washington, and putting him into a 3-4 just isn't a good idea right away. Maybe he'll be a monster for them, though. Who knows?

Edited by BwareDWare94

This has "not gonna work out" written all over it. I love Cofield's motor, but he's excelled in a 4-3 scheme. It's not that easy to just plug a guy like that into 3-4. Imagine putting Dwight Freeney at 3-4 DE. Not gonna work out. Is Cofield of the same caliber as Freeney? No, but it'll be a shame if he doesn't work out for Washington, and putting him into a 3-4 just isn't a good idea right away. Maybe he'll be a monster for them, though. Who knows?

you do realize that if freeney played in a 3-4 he sure as hell wouldn't be DE he would be a OLB. Not sure your getting at with that comparison.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

you do realize that if freeney played in a 3-4 he sure as hell wouldn't be DE he would be a OLB. Not sure your getting at with that comparison.

I'm aware of that, but there's really no different role they can plug Cofield into. He'll be a DL asked to take on double teams and stop the run.

Everything I am reading is saying that Cofield will be manning the middle as the 34 Nose.

I'm aware of that, but there's really no different role they can plug Cofield into. He'll be a DL asked to take on double teams and stop the run.

Then why would you compare him freeney to Coefield ?

Then why would you compare him freeney to Coefield ?

Because it's tough to ask any 4-3 DL to play DL in a 3-4. You don't know where they'll fit in and if they can give the production you paid money for.

Because it's tough to ask any 4-3 DL to play DL in a 3-4. You don't know where they'll fit in and if they can give the production you paid money for.

Ya I get that. I just don't get the player comparison Coefield is a run stuffing DT (although he can rush from up the middle ) and he also has 50 pounds on Freeney who is a 4-3 DE. " Not gonna work out. Is Cofield of the same caliber as Freeney?" thats the comment that throws me off they both played different spots on the line in a 4-3.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

So you bring in a 6'4 305 DT to anchor your 3-4 defense... OK...

That's what everyone is saying, but I just can't believe it. I have to see him play NT before I actually believe the Skins are going to put him at NT.

This thread is funny.

First of all, comparing Coefield at DE to Freeny at DE might be one of the worst comparisons I have ever seen, seriously.

Second, Coefield does have experience in the 34. He played at DE back in college. While he has never played the anchor in a 3-4 before, he at least has some experience with the scheme. While he MIGHT be a little small to play the middle, there is always the possibility that he adds some weight to help him out. Both Adam Carriker and recently drafted Jarvis Jenkins have reported putting on 15-20 lbs to better fit the required style.

Also, Haslett likes to have his lineman know all three positions on the defensive front. Last season he did a lot of interchanging, and had a lot of the DE play at NT, and vice versa. Coefield will still see a good portion of time at DE.

Truthfully, I was suprised by this signing. I thought Cullen Jenkins would have been signed before Coefield, but apparently to this point, our front office hasn't even contacted Jenkins. But anyways, Coefield is a high motor player who has experienced double teams in the 4-3 scheme. He is great against the run (which we desperately need) and does an adequote job of getting to the QB. While he does have a good skill set ( rated as a top 12 DT by pro football focus last season), he doesn't have experience at the NT in a 3-4. He could flourish, or he could be a bust. But for the type of player that we got, I think we got a good price on him (6 years, 6mill / year, 12.5 garunteed)

Edited by ride or die redskins

This thread is funny.

First of all, comparing Coefield at DE to Freeny at DE might be one of the worst comparisons I have ever seen, seriously.

Second, Coefield does have experience in the 34. He played at DE back in college. While he has never played the anchor in a 3-4 before, he at least has some experience with the scheme. While he MIGHT be a little small to play the middle, there is always the possibility that he adds some weight to help him out. Both Adam Carriker and recently drafted Jarvis Jenkins have reported putting on 15-20 lbs to better fit the required style.

Also, Haslett likes to have his lineman know all three positions on the defensive front. Last season he did a lot of interchanging, and had a lot of the DE play at NT, and vice versa. Coefield will still see a good portion of time at DE.

Truthfully, I was suprised by this signing. I thought Cullen Jenkins would have been signed before Coefield, but apparently to this point, our front office hasn't even contacted Jenkins. But anyways, Coefield is a high motor player who has experienced double teams in the 4-3 scheme. He is great against the run (which we desperately need) and does an adequote job of getting to the QB. While he does have a good skill set ( rated as a top 12 DT by pro football focus last season), he doesn't have experience at the NT in a 3-4. He could flourish, or he could be a bust. But for the type of player that we got, I think we got a good price on him (6 years, 16 mill, 12.5 garunteed)

I didn't compare the two. I just said that it's tough to take a player who's excelled in a 4-3 and put him into a 3-4. I only mentioned Freeney because he's one of the most obvious 4-3 defensive lineman who excels in his scheme. The whole caliber thing is how good are they as an overall defensive lineman.

Has nothing to do about playing the same position or being the same kind of player.

I didn't compare the two. I just said that it's tough to take a player who's excelled in a 4-3 and put him into a 3-4. I only mentioned Freeney because he's one of the most obvious 4-3 defensive lineman who excels in his scheme. The whole caliber thing is how good are they as an overall defensive lineman.

Has nothing to do about playing the same position or being the same kind of player.

It was a bad comparison of the situation. Dwight Freeny would never be put in the situation to play 3-4 DE because he does not have the physical attributes to play the position.

Cofield has the physical attributes to play in the 3-4, even though he might lack a little girth to play at NT (even though there are people at that position with his size).

The skins ranked 26th in rush defense last year, and went out and gained a great run stopper. To say this has fail written all over it is grasping a bit. While it might be a little puzzling as to why they got him to play NT over players like jenkins or franklin, he definately has the ability to be successful at the position.

*EDIT: and reports are coming out now that the redskins are talking to jenkins. If they end up signing him, cofield will come in and be able to play DE, which would fit his skills and attributes better

Edited by ride or die redskins
  • Upvote 1

It was a bad comparison of the situation. Dwight Freeny would never be put in the situation to play 3-4 DE because he does not have the physical attributes to play the position.

Cofield has the physical attributes to play in the 3-4, even though he might lack a little girth to play at NT (even though there are people at that position with his size).

The skins ranked 26th in rush defense last year, and went out and gained a great run stopper. To say this has fail written all over it is grasping a bit. While it might be a little puzzling as to why they got him to play NT over players like jenkins or franklin, he definately has the ability to be successful at the position.

*EDIT: and reports are coming out now that the redskins are talking to jenkins. If they end up signing him, cofield will come in and be able to play DE, which would fit his skills and attributes better

My thoughts exactly +1

Why does that change anything? Cullen definitely isn't playing Nose Tackle.