Sign in to follow this  
Paladin

Kolb to be a bust in Arizona ?

LOL...I do so love that kind of comment. It really got me to thinking back to the old days. I have been a Giants fan since 1961 and got to thinking about which QB was the biggest bust for the dollar paid in Giant history at least according to the press at the time. I can remember in 67 we all thought the Giants were going places....we had THE quarterback to take us into the post season for years to come as if one player was going to cement the deal.

It did start out looking good I have to admit. Homer Jones was flying,Tucker Frederickson and the rest of the Baby Bulls were running hard and our savior was putting up good passing numbers. But it wasn't enough to get the Giants into the post season and Fran Tarkenton was traded back to the Vikings after the 71 season.....and the press had a field day. Tarkenton and the unfortunate Rocky Thompson baring the brunt of the press corps displeasure with the Giants after the 4-10 1971 season. It couldn't have been that the defense was virtually nonexistent at times nor could it have been the quality of the opposing teams during that time period.....it was Frantic Fran that failed and thats all there was to it.In fairness to the press it is true that Tarkenton only made it to the Pro Bowl 4 out of the 5 years he played in New York which as we all know is a terrible record. :biggrin:

Now along comes Kevin Kolb, will he be successful in Arizona ? According to most of the so called analyst's at NFL.com the answer is no mostly because of his 3-4 record as a starter in Philly. So was he personally responsible for all 4 of those loses ? or is football the team game I always thought it was ?

So what did the Giants pay for Fran Tarkenton ? There 1st and 2nd round picks in the 67 draft and there 1st round pick in the 68 draft plus a player whose name I can't remember at the moment and the Giants 2nd round pick in the 69 draft. Compared to that Kolb was a bargin. However at this point we cant compare the two as Fran was one of the greats and there is no way to know how close Kolb will get to that level if at all.

Anyway the morale of the story is that there are numerous other potential reasons for a 3-4 record besides Kolbs play although I am sure that he contributed to some of those losses. Lets see what the Cardinals coaching staff can do with the kid before condemning him to the scrape heap before he even sets foot on the field.

Regards

Paladin

I find it hilarious they traded what they did and paid what they did to a QB that has only had a few good games. However it's a mistake to call it a bust already, the guy has never had a full season and I refuse to judge a QB's overall skill until they do have one.

I find it hilarious they traded what they did and paid what they did to a QB that has only had a few good games. However it's a mistake to call it a bust already, the guy has never had a full season and I refuse to judge a QB's overall skill until they do have one.

That is one of the few intelligent comments I have read on the subject of Kevin Kolb. Kolbs trade doesn't seem that bad at all when ya consider some of those super high dollar rookie contracts that were getting handed out to players like

JaMarcus Russel and others over the years.

That is one of the few intelligent comments I have read on the subject of Kevin Kolb. Kolbs trade doesn't seem that bad at all when ya consider some of those super high dollar rookie contracts that were getting handed out to players like

JaMarcus Russel and others over the years.

Jabuffet Bustville pulled off the most successful robbery in history

I say he'll bust because of all the trust they're putting into Kolb. He lost the starting position in Philly for a reason. He's been a backup for five years for a reason. And it's because he doesn't have what it takes to start and win games consistently.

I understand they needed someone to feed the ball to Fitzgerald but there's other QBs on the block that they could have grabbed, for cheaper than the robbery Philly offered.

I say he will be sub par, and nothing more than mediocre. He does have FItzy to throw to, after all. He is getting paid the same as Aaron Rodgers, which is absolutely absurd.

I really liked Kolb coming out of college and really do hope he does well but this is a very risky move by the cardinals, but after last season, it really showed that they needed a QB. Maybe it will work out like Matt Schaub and the Texans.

I don't think Kolb will bust. But I don't see the hype behind him... he'll be serviceable at best; kind of like a lesser Kyle Orton.

I say he'll bust because of all the trust they're putting into Kolb. He lost the starting position in Philly for a reason. He's been a backup for five years for a reason. And it's because he doesn't have what it takes to start and win games consistently.

I understand they needed someone to feed the ball to Fitzgerald but there's other QBs on the block that they could have grabbed, for cheaper than the robbery Philly offered.

He lost the starting position in Philly because Mike Vick was clearly the best QB in football for the first 10 or so weeks. Donovan McNabb was TRADED AWAY because the Eagles felt he could start and win games consistently. Vick went 8 games or something without a single turnover. How do you take the best QB in the NFL out and put Kolb back in, when Vick has been to previous Pro Bowls and Kolb proved next to nothing?

He did lose his starting job for a reason and he was a backup (for only 3 1/2 years) for a reason, but I don't think you really understand the reasons, you're just looking at the black and white facts... and you're not even looking at those close enough.

He'll do what he needs to do. Won't be the spectacular QB Arizona wanted. I just find it rather funny, as does Shotgun, that they paid what they did for him. I don't know how stupid you have to be to pay that much for a guy that really hasn't proved his worth to anybody yet.

However. I hope he does work out well, and maybe gets them to a few playoff berths because I like Larry Fitz he's one of my favorite players. Plus I want the stupid NFC West to get competitive.

"Overpay" might be referring to picking some of the first round QB's this year in the first round. That's just the market this season, everyone really wants a QB and they're getting way more expensive than any other position. I trust Kolb to run an offense more than I trust a mid-late 1st round pick (which is what I would estimate DRC and a second adds up to)... and the bonus is that he has the ability to start THIS season, and go through a much less rocky learning curve than a rookie.

Wait wait back this up did you just call Vick the best QB in the NFL?

Wait wait back this up did you just call Vick the best QB in the NFL?

For 10 or so weeks he was. That was pretty obvious last year. No turnovers, tons of points, tons of winning, tons of rushing, it was all there.

He didn't finish strong, but he was at the top of the MVP talks for a lot of the season.

Edited by westbrookforsix

Oh okay I'm on my phone so I can't read these posts very well. But I disagree with you on his running for last years MVP status but whatever we're getting off topic lol.

Oh okay I'm on my phone so I can't read these posts very well. But I disagree with you on his running for last years MVP status but whatever we're getting off topic lol.

Look at the game log. He went undefeated in games he started and finished up until the Bears in week 12. His passer ratings were off the charts and only twice below 90. And he added the running element no other QB has. ZERO turnovers till week 11!

You don't take that out and put Kolb back in.

Kolb was definitely overpaid and you guys robbed the cardinals lol. The contract they gave him was ridiculous especially after his unimpressive body of work, but this the time where teams will overpay for a Qb just because they think he can be a "franchise Qb.

As it is DRC is just a really gifted and talented CB and just because he has a pro bowl on his resume does not mean that he's an elite CB. He can be. He has the skills and ability to be among the very best but as of now last year he was one of the worst CB's in the league.He's an awful tackler and despite his size he's not very physical in coverage. I'm glad to have him on my team but it's not like they gave up the equivalent to a first and a second. I think DRC is worth less than a first.

As it is DRC is just a really gifted and talented CB and just because he has a pro bowl on his resume does not mean that he's an elite CB. He can be. He has the skills and ability to be among the very best but as of now last year he was one of the worst CB's in the league.He's an awful tackler and despite his size he's not very physical in coverage. I'm glad to have him on my team but it's not like they gave up the equivalent to a first and a second. I think DRC is worth less than a first.

DRC and a 2nd round pick is the same value of a first rounder.

I agree with much of what has already been said. I think he will be pretty average. Not a bad QB, but maybe considered a bust considering how much trust and money they have put in.

I don't see the potential of being a top tier QB in him at all. I think at best, he is a servicable QB. But the Cardinals gave up in compensation and money what you would for a franchise QB. I just don't see it in Kevin Kolb.

For what the Cardinals expect of him, he'll bust. He'll have no running game and only 1 WR that most NFL fans can name. He'll be decent. He'll be better than anybody they fielded last year, but they'll still struggle to win the division. They'll be in it as teams like St. Louis and Seattle continue to develop their young talent, but as soon as those two teams take off, it'll be back to the bottom of the barrel for Arizona.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Kolb's first two starts were impresssive, I'll give him that. He was averaging 359 ypg, a 64% completion percentage rating, and went 1-1. After those starts, his numbers went down, and he's never fully proven himself. He's 3-4 in games he's started. He has not completed a full season yet. The Eagles invested in him to become their starter and yet he still didn't manage to get the job. Vick took over, and yes he had an MVP worthy season, but it says something that the Eagles claim to have confidence in him and yet they have let him start a whole 7 games. He's been sitting on the bench for 4 years. You can learn from McNabb and Vick, but neither are stellar QB's and neither are great mentors. Arizona spent way too much on an unproven QB. Orton would have been cheap and a much better option-sure he didn't win a lot of games last year, but he's efficient and has never had many weapons around him in the first place.

Oh and Brady was hands down the leading MVP candidate last year. 36 TD's, 4 INT's, over 300 attempts without a single pick. Vick looked to be a candidate, as did Arian Foster (who in my opinion should have been neck and neck with Vick), but neither were in the class of Brady. Did he lose in the playoffs? Sure. Did he choke in them? No, his offensive line and defense did.

He lost the starting position in Philly because Mike Vick was clearly the best QB in football for the first 10 or so weeks. Donovan McNabb was TRADED AWAY because the Eagles felt he could start and win games consistently. Vick went 8 games or something without a single turnover. How do you take the best QB in the NFL out and put Kolb back in, when Vick has been to previous Pro Bowls and Kolb proved next to nothing?

He did lose his starting job for a reason and he was a backup (for only 3 1/2 years) for a reason, but I don't think you really understand the reasons, you're just looking at the black and white facts... and you're not even looking at those close enough.

He's no longer an Eagle so no need to rub his nuts like a genie lamp.

He hasn't proven a thing since he's been in the NFL except that he knows how to ride pine. The Eagles threw a golden blanket over a pile of shit and Arizona bought it. He's going to bust.. and if not, it will be a miracle. If he couldn't get it going in Philly, I seriously doubt he does with the Cards.

The Cardinals' glory days ended when Kurt Warner retired. It will probably be years before they can develop talent to get back to the level where they once were.

He's no longer an Eagle so no need to rub his nuts like a genie lamp.

He hasn't proven a thing since he's been in the NFL except that he knows how to ride pine. The Eagles threw a golden blanket over a pile of shit and Arizona bought it. He's going to bust.. and if not, it will be a miracle. If he couldn't get it going in Philly, I seriously doubt he does with the Cards.

..Hasn't proven a thing since he threw for 300 yards in his first two starts and beat the Falcons in Atlanta last season. Just watch, he'll be a middle of the road, accurate, starting QB for a while. Kolb has proven way more than a QB that you'd draft in the 2nd round, and you don't have to wait for him to learn how to adjust to the NFL. That's why the trade had such a high value.

Your assessment of Kolb's time in Philly is so off. McNabb was still playing really good football up until the point when we traded him. Kolb was the new starter, got hurt in week 1, and Vick played too well and had too much history of winning to pull out. Aaron Rodgers didn't start in his first 3 seasons either. I bet you didn't think Tony Romo would be your franchise QB when you picked him up.

A "miracle" if he doesn't bust... like you're some kind of great talent evaluator that you can even claim that... based on how well you've obviously followed his career so far.