Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Dennis Dixon wants out of Pittsburgh

Per Rotoworld:

Restricted free agent QB Dennis Dixon has yet to report to Steelers and is hoping to be traded out of Pittsburgh.

"Yes, we would look forward to an opportunity for a trade," said agent Jeff Sperbeck. "It's a starting opportunity we're looking for." Dixon is a restricted free agent and has yet to sign his one-year, $1.2 million tender. "There's a possibility he will sign it," Sperbeck did concede. "We're just looking to gather information during the early part of free agency." Dixon won't get what he wants. He's likely to be the Steelers' third-stringer this year.

Source: ESPN.com

He's a quarterback with a lot of potential, and I was really high on him in the 2008 draft even after he tore his ACL. I'd like to see Dixon get a chance to start somewhere else, but I can obviously understand why Steelers fans would be mad at this news. I bet he stays with the Steelers this season at least.

The Steelers find ways to quiet stuff like this down. I doubt this will take very long.

Just tough it out one more year man.... Seriously. I don't even understand why he want to leave so badly. There is a MEGA short off season. There is almost no time to learn a whole new system... And a bunch of teams have acquired QBs, either through FA or the draft... so there really isn't a lot of room anywhere right now.

Stay where you are at, keep learning from Ben, and have your day in FA next year. :shrug:

• Upvote 1

I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to sit on the bench and collect your $1.2 million every season without having to take the hits and shorten your life span. Hell, if I could just go to practice everyday and make $100,000 I'd be happy.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to sit on the bench and collect your $1.2 million every season without having to take the hits and shorten your life span. Hell, if I could just go to practice everyday and make $100,000 I'd be happy.

Cause he wants to start and play football....?

Cause he wants to start and play football....?

He's getting paid the same amount of money either way, though. It would be of a benefit to himself, the team and his family if he just showed up to work, like normal employees do, and get better. By doing this, he would improve his chances at getting a better paycheck in the future and ensure better health.

Edited by MNSportsMan

He's getting paid the same amount of money either way, though. It would be of a benefit to himself, the team and his family if he just showed up to work, like normal employees do, and get better. By doing this, he would improve his chances at getting a better paycheck in the future and ensure better health.

Right so your telling me that if you got the chance to play professional football you would just sit on the bench and not want to start? If so your weak.

Dixon deffinatly has the potential to be a good QB for some where but he is still a bit of a project. No one can match him for speed as a scrambler but he needs to prove during the preseason he can A) stay healthy and B) show he can make throws.

He should hang on their for one more year then go to a team in FA. He should be a starter next year with a long pre season

Because fame is worth a bit more than money to some people.

Would you rather be star quarterback of such and such team, or resident benchwarmer? The answer for poonhunters is obvious.

Not to mention starters get paid vastly more than backups do so, so Dixon wants the big money to blow on... whatever athletes blow their money on. Spinning Rims and charities for tax writeoffs and whatnot.

If you have the ability to be a star of course you'd want to be a starter so you can get the massive contract. Dennis Dixon will never have that ability. He is an average QB at best so he should just be loyal to the team that gave him opportunities and a $1.2 million contract.

Right so your telling me that if you got the chance to play professional football you would just sit on the bench and not want to start? If so your weak.

Sitting out and hurting your chances to improve as well as showing disloyalty is the weak thing to do. Going out and doing the job you are assigned is what normal, strong people do.

• Upvote 1

If you have the ability to be a star of course you'd want to be a starter so you can get the massive contract. Dennis Dixon will never have that ability. He is an average QB at best so he should just be loyal to the team that gave him opportunities and a $1.2 million contract.

Sitting out and hurting your chances to improve as well as showing disloyalty is the weak thing to do. Going out and doing the job you are assigned is what normal, strong people do.

That may be so but he wants to play football and I don't blame him I mean thats why people go to the NFL is to play football.

To clarify, I don't have a problem with him asking for a trade, especially if he is not happy with what he is doing right now, but he still needs to show up. Quitting on people will never get you anywhere.

Dennis Dixon should be happy just having a roster spot. I never thought he was an NFL starting QB, and still don't. He is Pat White with less speed and just a little more accuracy, which isn't saying much. When it comes to his type, Josh Johnson in Tampa is better. What are his chances of starting somewhere?

Per Rotoworld:

Restricted free agent Dennis Dixon has backed off his trade demand and will sign his one-year tender with the Steelers.

Dixon realized that he wasn't going to get what he wants -- a chance to start. So he'll be back in Pittsburgh as a third-stringer behind Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich.

Source: ESPN.com

That didn't last very long...

New players have to start somewhere. And nothing is certain in football where injuries can and will happen at any time.

I don't see any team rushing to the Steelers' door trying to get Dennis Dixon as their starting QB anyways.

Although he decided to stick around, do players not get bonuses if they start so many games? Even without a restructed contract, he could get paid even more to actually play, score touchdowns, and win games. Much more than just sitting there and watching someone else get paid more.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette confirms the Steelers "would like" to find a trade partner for Dennis Dixon.

The organization is reportedly split on the No. 3 QB dilemma, with some wanting to keep Dixon and others preferring Charlie Batch as a clipboard holder. The Ravens need a veteran backup as much as any team in the league, but intra-division trades are rare. With training camps wrapping up, the Steelers may have missed their window for a Dixon trade.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette