Sign in to follow this  
MNSportsMan

My Recent Soccer Obsession

Ever since the World Cup concluded last year, I have had an obsession with soccer. I am not particularly skilled at it, but I am good enough so I can play and enjoy it. I'm wondering if the World Cup has spurred any other people, particularly Americans, to become a fan of the game. I started to watch English Premier soccer as well as a little bit of MLS and international stuff.

I am a fan of the Wolverhampton Wanderers even though they are not a widely popular team around the World. I am very excited to see how they do since they didn't lose any major contributors this last season and got the high-quality Roger Johnson and acquired Jamie O'Hara on a permanent basis. Hopefully we will be able to hold onto Matthew Jarvis even with the big clubs calling about him. Lately we have been rumored to be in talks for Stephen Carr and Michael Johnson, neither of whom I know much about.

With the season starting in about two weeks time, what do you expect the English season to be like?

Also, I'm wondering if any of you have played Football Manager. It is a truly wonderful game with you able to control teams from over 50 countries, most of them having multiple divisions.

Edited by MNSportsMan

Finally, a true friend at these forums. :):p

Great to see that you now have an interest in "the beautiful game." The World Cup spurs a lot of interest in Americans as it usually does every four years, but the problem lies within keeping up that interest. I'd say about 15% of Americans continue to keep an interest in soccer when a World Cup ends.

I'm a HUGE follower of the English Premier League. I must say, I'm very impressed with you supporting a lower-table team rather than a Chelsea or Man United. The MLS is nice because it's an American league and you're supporting your country, but make no mistake: you want to watch the best soccer, you follow the EPL or La Liga in Spain. I'm a supporter of Liverpool FC (as you can see by my Suarez sig). Grandfather spent a little time in Liverpool during WWII and ever since he came back and he supported LFC. I'm a big fan of Mick McCarthy and Wolves, though. Hell, he looks like a Wolf lmao. Matt Jarvis is a fine winger and if you're able to keep a hold of him (which it looks like so far), then with your two new signings you named you should avoid relegation. Realistically, shoot for a Top 10 finish.

I've played a demo of FM and enjoyed it a lot. I'm in love with FIFA though (regardless of EA screwing up on things year in and year out) and I don't want to pay for Football Manager AND FIFA. I wish FIFA would take some tips and tricks from FM about how to make a Manager Mode correctly haha.

Finally, a true friend at these forums. :):p

Great to see that you now have an interest in "the beautiful game." The World Cup spurs a lot of interest in Americans as it usually does every four years, but the problem lies within keeping up that interest. I'd say about 15% of Americans continue to keep an interest in soccer when a World Cup ends.

I'm a HUGE follower of the English Premier League. I must say, I'm very impressed with you supporting a lower-table team rather than a Chelsea or Man United. The MLS is nice because it's an American league and you're supporting your country, but make no mistake: you want to watch the best soccer, you follow the EPL or La Liga in Spain. I'm a supporter of Liverpool FC (as you can see by my Suarez sig). Grandfather spent a little time in Liverpool during WWII and ever since he came back and he supported LFC. I'm a big fan of Mick McCarthy and Wolves, though. Hell, he looks like a Wolf lmao. Matt Jarvis is a fine winger and if you're able to keep a hold of him (which it looks like so far), then with your two new signings you named you should avoid relegation. Realistically, shoot for a Top 10 finish.

I've played a demo of FM and enjoyed it a lot. I'm in love with FIFA though (regardless of EA screwing up on things year in and year out) and I don't want to pay for Football Manager AND FIFA. I wish FIFA would take some tips and tricks from FM about how to make a Manager Mode correctly haha.

My favorite parts of sports games are the simulation and management part of it, that is why I like Football Manager so much. I also play a lot of FIFA, but some of the manager mode things just frustrate me after a while.

I think it was in FIFA 09 where I decided I would be a Wolves fan. I was significantly better than any of my friends at FIFA so I would always have to play as a weaker team and I chose Wolves because I thought their logo was kind of goony. Nenad Milijas became my favorite player because, in the game, he was the only guy I could score with on free kicks.

My second favorite team is Arsenal. I am very excited over the signing of Gervinho for them because I like Lille a lot, too. I also don't mind Tottenham, Bolton, Newcastle and Sunderland. The things that turned me away from Man City and Chelsea is that all they seem to do is go out and purchase expensive players. I'm not a huge fan of that. As for Man U, I just feel they are too good and it would be too easy to cheer for them. The reason I didn't like Liverpool was Fernando Torres. He is very talented but just kind of seems like a tool.

I've been a soccer fan for as long as i've been alive because i've played soccer since being a baby all the way up to 9th grade. I follow the African leagues a lot more then any other one, but I also watch a lot of the EPL. I really only watch the EPL though to cheer for African players, Brazil players, or French players, so naturally I cheer for Chelsea because of Drogba and Essien.

I've only recently started watching MLS though, when I heard Henry had join a club here, it got me to start watching it. It's not the best, but some games get you going.

My love for soccer started really young. I had a babysitter with a boyfriend who lived the sport. He got this small soccer ball for me and got down infront of a desk. That was my goal. I kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked, sometimes making it past him. He was impressed with my dedication and determination after all the fun I was having. My mom took notice and signed me up to play.. and boom, I never stopped. I went all the way up until college. Our high school refused multiple petitions to get a team together. Football, baseball, and basketball only. We hated that because we were winning tournaments (11v11, 7v7, and 3-on-3). We were creating a name for the town while the school was spitting in our face. When I went off to college, I played intramural for two seasons but then class started taking up too much of my time. I am playing a summer league right now but it's been so incredibly hot on Sundays, it is killing me. Plus, those in charge of scheduling the games are absolutely horrid.

Anyways, I started as a Man U fan but I feel like I didn't know any better. I didn't feel they had the amount of respect for the game I was looking for so I went shopping for a new team. I already disliked teams such as Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal due to following the EPL.. so I switched to La Liga. So now.. I believe in BAAAARCA BARCA BAAAAARCA! I love their playing style; so much possession, passing, and strategy. By the way, welcome back to the boards.

I see United winning the title again, followed by Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City (sadly).

Liverpool has had the best aquisitions over the past year. Suarez, Carrol, Charlie Adam, Downing and other of course I can't think of right now. Lucas has turned into one of the best midfielders in the world. Can't wait for Adam to be spraying balls out to Suarez and Downing. Gerrard's fitness s a concern right now though, hopefully he returns soon. I think United stand tall for one more season though.

Anyways, Barcelona is the best team in the world, and arguably the best team ever. Xavi-Messi-Iniesta, enough said. Busquets is a great player, the gel of the team. Keeps everything in order. Puyol plays with his heart on his sleeve and Pique is one of the most composed center backs in the world. Not a fan of Alves, but he is obvously a great asset to the team. Alexis Sanchez is amazing - what a signing that was, he will compete with Villa and Pedro for a spot on the wing. Barca do need to shape up their backline though because they have been vulnerable in the back at times.

United wins Premier League. Barca wins La Liga. Barca wins Champions League. History repeats itself.

I don't get what's so great about soccer.

1. South Africa sucks at it

2. It brought forth from South Africa the most annoying, most painful instrument ever made, heck I don't wanna say the name of that stupid plastic trumpet

3. it's BORING!!!!!!!

My grandfather says football (Or gridiron as he calls it) is boring, but if you can watch a bunch of men just running around and kicking a ball for one and a half hours and say that's not boring you need your head examined. If soccer's more exciting than real football, then I'm Tom Brady :sarcasm:

I don't get what's so great about soccer.

1. South Africa sucks at it

2. It brought forth from South Africa the most annoying, most painful instrument ever made, heck I don't wanna say the name of that stupid plastic trumpet

3. it's BORING!!!!!!!

My grandfather says football (Or gridiron as he calls it) is boring, but if you can watch a bunch of men just running around and kicking a ball for one and a half hours and say that's not boring you need your head examined. If soccer's more exciting than real football, then I'm Tom Brady :sarcasm:

If you actually watched soccer you would see that it is not boring. What does South Africa not being great at it have to do with anything?

• Upvote 1

I don't watch much soccer outside the World Cup. It's one of the only sports that I don't watch, although I know a lot of people who are obsessed with soccer. Our soccer team here in Chicgo has a pretty loyal following, and they're (Chicago Fire) are pretty good.

Now that I think about it, aren't you from Chicago MNSportsMan? Not sure but I think so.

I don't watch much soccer outside the World Cup. It's one of the only sports that I don't watch, although I know a lot of people who are obsessed with soccer. Our soccer team here in Chicgo has a pretty loyal following, and they're (Chicago Fire) are pretty good.

Now that I think about it, aren't you from Chicago MNSportsMan? Not sure but I think so.

I am actually from Minnesota. Soccer is something that grows on you over time I believe. When I was little, I always thought it was boring until I started watching good teams play.

I am actually from Minnesota. Soccer is something that grows on you over time I believe. When I was little, I always thought it was boring until I started watching good teams play.

Ah, sorry. I was thinking of a different Vikings fan who used to post here.