Sign in to follow this  
WindyCitySports

2012 GOP Primary

THIS IS AN ANONYMOUS POLL  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you supporting in the 2012 GOP Primary?

• Ron Paul
    • Mitt Romney
    • Michelle Bachmann
    • Herman Cain
    • Newt Gingrich
    • Rick Santorum
    • Tim Pawlenty
    • Rick Perry
    • Chris Christie
    • Sarah Palin
    • Gary Johnson

Kind of early, but with more debates coming up and surely some interesting discussion to be had, I decided it would be appropriate to start a thread for this with a poll (TGP Caucus lol). This thread probably won't be extremely active for a couple of months, but I thought it would be a good idea to start it right away.

I will be supporting Ron Paul in 2012. I would be happy to explain to anyone why they should vote for him.

Also, the poll is anonymous, so if you don't want people to know who you are voting for just vote in the poll and don't post anything.

Edited by WindyCitySports
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Pretty obvious who I am picking, I think... lol

The Iowa Straw poll is in about two weeks. REALLY want to go, and scored free tickets.... But work is being stupid... and it's a 2 hour drive there and then 2 hours back...

• Upvote 1

Pretty obvious who I am picking, I think... lol

The Iowa Straw poll is in about two weeks. REALLY want to go, and scored free tickets.... But work is being stupid... and it's a 2 hour drive there and then 2 hours back...

Not going to lie, pretty damn excited that you are voting for Ron Paul because you live in such an imporant state.

From the GOP, I will definitely support Paul. He has the least selfish agenda in my humble opinion. Although his encouragement that the Tea Party sabotage the debt ceiling vote kind of had me pissed. I still like his vision for the most part. Aside from Obama, I have yet to hear who the serious candidates on the other side are. My vote certainly won't be wasted on him is all I do know.

Kind of early, but with more debates coming up and surely some interesting discussion to be had, I decided it would be appropriate to start a thread for this with a poll (TGP Caucus lol). This thread probably won't be extremely active for a couple of months, but I thought it would be a good idea to start it right away.

I will be supporting Ron Paul in 2012. I would be happy to explain to anyone why they should vote for him.

Also, the poll is anonymous, so if you don't want people to know who you are voting for just vote in the poll and don't post anything.

I can't vote because I don't live in the USA, or have a citizenship there, but could you explain anyways why an average person should vote for Ron Paul? I don't really understand what he stands for, or why a significant amount of people like him and his ideas. I'm not trying to look down on him by that comment, it's just I don't really understand the guy in general.

Of the choices, Ron Paul is the strongest opponent to big government...which carries more weight with me than anything else...his age isn't going to help anything though, and if Perry runs, it'll split the Texas vote he'll need to win.

Of the choices, Ron Paul has my vote as well. IMO though he won't win the Primary. No chance.

We'll be seeing Romney vs. Obama. Which is a shame and idiotic. Romney is basically the white version of Obama...labeled a Republican.

• Upvote 1

Of the choices, Ron Paul has my vote as well. IMO though he won't win the Primary. No chance.We'll be seeing Romney vs. Obama. Which is a shame and idiotic. Romney is basically the white version of Obama...labeled a Republican.

Unfortunately, you're probably right, and that's fuckin depressing me already.

I've still no idea who I'm voting for. I'm not affiliated with any party but I do like Ron Paul. He seems like one of the more honest guys, if such a thing even exists in politics and I do like a lot of his ideas and feelings about things. I also like that he doesn't just change up what he believes based on his party affiliations beliefs like everyone else does. The issue I have with him though is he is a little too out there on many things, and I don't honestly feel like he'd be able to get anything done because no one in government will agree with him. Not to mentioned the very unlikely chance that he'll even become President to begin with.

• Upvote 1

I've still no idea who I'm voting for. I'm not affiliated with any party but I do like Ron Paul. He seems like one of the more honest guys, if such a thing even exists in politics and I do like a lot of his ideas and feelings about things. I also like that he doesn't just change up what he believes based on his party affiliations beliefs like everyone else does. The issue I have with him though is he is a little too out there on many things, and I don't honestly feel like he'd be able to get anything done because no one in government will agree with him. Not to mentioned the very unlikely chance that he'll even become President to begin with.

Basically how I am/feel...

Paul is basically labeled a nut job by the Republican party and there are too many ignorant people out there that take their word for it.

Yep, since he's basically a Libertarian, a RINO in the right direction IMO.

• Upvote 1

Well even if he won the popular vote from the citizens there's no way he will win the electoral vote. He is a very un-liked person in the government circle. He's basically part of the outcast crowd in a government filled with high school style cliques. Even though he has libertarian views even they in general don't care for him because he also has some anti-libertarian ideals.

Edited by Shotgun
  • Upvote 1

Well even if he won the popular vote from the citizens there's no way he will win the electoral vote. He is a very un-liked person in the government circle. He's basically part of the outcast crowd in a government filled with high school style cliques. Even though he has libertarian views even they in general don't care for him because he also has some anti-libertarian ideals.

It's because he speaks the truth...what he really thinks and what's in his heart. He doesn't give the same old mumbo jumbo political answers/beat around the bush BS...he's not "one of them."

• Upvote 1

Very true, which is why he won't win, popular vote is a farce anyway IMO...

Very true, which is why he won't win, popular vote is a farce anyway IMO...

Yeah big time. Funny enough though Ron Paul voted FOR keeping the electoral votes, even though it, in my opinion, drastically lowers his chances of ever becoming President. But what can you do? The guy has a very strict stance on the Constitution.

Yeah big time. Funny enough though Ron Paul voted FOR keeping the electoral votes, even though it, in my opinion, drastically lowers his chances of ever becoming President. But what can you do? The guy has a very strict stance on the Constitution.

and never backs down or is hypocritical just to benefit himself...good point. Lol the more I talk about it the more I get all depressed/embarrassed by our current American Government.

Call me a pessimist, but I don't think it will ever change.

and never backs down or is hypocritical just to benefit himself...good point. Lol the more I talk about it the more I get all depressed/embarrassed by our current American Government.

Call me a pessimist, but I don't think it will ever change.

The only way the whole American system and government will change is when the USA really runs out of money (like an actual, real default on the debt will happen without serious action).

The biggest deter to Ron Paul's chances is what you guys already talked about.... Not only do the Republicans label him as crazy, but so does the media. Ron Paul visited my town a couple weeks ago. HUNDREDS of people showed up, as did national news like ABC... After Ron spoke, they took some interviews and I SWEAR they looked for the goofiest / craziest mothers in the crowd to interview.

There established church members, local businessman and business owners, high-middle and low-middle class folks. military folks, old and young.... EVERY demographic was represented there and they picked some crazy bearded guy who was foaming at the mouth and had an eye patch (not really, but that's what it felt like... lol)

I can't vote because I don't live in the USA, or have a citizenship there, but could you explain anyways why an average person should vote for Ron Paul? I don't really understand what he stands for, or why a significant amount of people like him and his ideas. I'm not trying to look down on him by that comment, it's just I don't really understand the guy in general.

The Republican and Democratic Parties have become very similar in recent years. They are both supporting an increase in debt (both Bush and Obama have done it) and they both are advocating for a bigger government, just in different ways.

Ron Paul is different. He is a strict Constitutionalist who believes that the founders wanted as limited a Government as possible. He's agrees with his fellow Republicans in regards to the economy: that government should cut back on regulations. However, he applies this throughout the government, saying that we need a smaller foreign policy, too, which means we get out of Iraq.

Overall, he is in favor of going back to what this country once stood for and against the insider politics that have bankrupted the US.

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

Ron Paul (and, apparently, his supporters) believe the Austrian economic model is applicable in the real world (because it sounds good on paper) despite no extensive knowledge of the theory. That's basically what it boils down to. There's a reason most people view him as a nut job.

Edited by Phailadelphia
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

That doesn't sounds like a good thing to me. One of the major points the founders brought up when drafting the constitution was that it should be changeable. If something in the constitution has been generally decided to be wrong, he'd be doing his country a disservice if he didn't change it.

That doesn't sounds like a good thing to me. One of the major points the founders brought up when drafting the constitution was that it should be changeable. If something in the constitution has been generally decided to be wrong, he'd be doing his country a disservice if he didn't change it.

You don't want to turn it into some majority rules kind of thing either, that is DEFINITELY not what's in the constitution. It's a lose-lose kind of proposition for Paul.

Well shotgun made it sound like his train of though was "I don't think this is right but its in the constitution so I'll keep it the way it is." If thats the case, thats a horrible way to think.

You have to have a core set of guidelines...we're a Constitutionalized Republic, not a true Democracy..."majority rules" is what we're becoming, and that's not working out so well for us thus far...

They want us to forget, that the first 10 amendments (Bill of Rights) were put in place to LIMIT the power of the federal government...if only they'd thought about adding term limits to congressmen back then...but then they probably didn't expect any congressmen to live long enough to serve more than a couple terms...

Well shotgun made it sound like his train of though was "I don't think this is right but its in the constitution so I'll keep it the way it is." If thats the case, thats a horrible way to think.

That's not what I meant. He is just a big believer in the constitution. Getting rid of the electoral college would be a pretty radical change to that constitution, and he obviously doesn't believe it is in the best interest of the country. I was just stating that I PERSONALLY believe he would have a better chance at getting in if it was put into the hands of the citizens, simply because very few in government would give him their vote.