Guest Phailadelphia

Dear Philadelphia,

I'm a little late on this thread, but two things...

1) The Heat comparison isn't really fair, IMO. After the Heat signed Bosh and James, they clearly had the best team in basketball on paper. No one in the league came close to having three players of that caliber. The Eagles, however, after all the moves they made, still don't even have the most talented team in the NFC East (again, just talking on paper here). We're not stacked from head to toe, we have our fair share of question marks.

2) The Eagles getting their asses kicked was pretty much the best thing that could have happened to them. It's only preseason, yeah, but get everybody off their high horse "dream team" bullshit. Like I said, we're not even the most talented team in our own division. Gotta earn it, boys.

I'm a little late on this thread, but two things...

1) The Heat comparison isn't really fair, IMO. After the Heat signed Bosh and James, they clearly had the best team in basketball on paper. No one in the league came close to having three players of that caliber. The Eagles, however, after all the moves they made, still don't even have the most talented team in the NFC East (again, just talking on paper here). We're not stacked from head to toe, we have our fair share of question marks.

2) The Eagles getting their asses kicked was pretty much the best thing that could have happened to them. It's only preseason, yeah, but get everybody off their high horse "dream team" bullshit. Like I said, we're not even the most talented team in our own division. Gotta earn it, boys.

I'd definitely say you're now the most talented team in the division...probably not the NFC though I think I'd put the Saints and Packers ahead of you.

Making serious discussion in the Smack Talk board? Why, yes I am. I'm going to list all the players on the top two teams that I consider they have potential to be a major game-changer:

:Eagles:

Vick

McCoy

Jackson

Cole

Maclin

Celek

Asomugha

Rodgers-Cromartie (not awesome but still solid)

Samuel

Jenkins

Babin

Avant (not awesome but still solid)

11 draft picks in '11

:Giants:

Manning (he isn't a stud but he's decent)

Bradshaw

Manningham

Tuck

Umenyiora

Nicks

Amukamara (who is out for a while, and a rookie)

The Cowboys probably are equal with the Giants. I think the Eagles easily have the most talented team in the NFC East. But the Saints did a good job in FA as well and I think they're more talented than the Eagles, and the Packers are probably a smidge ahead of the Saints but I might have to re-think that.

Edited by gobadgers77

The Cowboys are more talented than the Eagles. I'll do the classic positional breakdown, giving the edge to a certain team.

Quarterback: :Cowboys: Vick may be slightly better than Romo, but he's not nearly as much of an injury risk.

Running Backs: Even. Whatever advantage Shady McCoy has is canceled out by Andy Reid's refusal to run the football.

Wide Receivers: :Cowboys: Receivers are even but the Cowboys get the edge because of Witten.

Offensive Line: :Cowboys:

Defensive Line: :Eagles:

Linebackers: :Cowboys:

Cornerback: :Eagles:

Safety: Even.

/my$0.02

The Cowboys are more talented than the Eagles. I'll do the classic positional breakdown, giving the edge to a certain team.

Quarterback: :Cowboys: Vick may be slightly better than Romo, but he's not nearly as much of an injury risk.

Running Backs: Even. Whatever advantage Shady McCoy has is canceled out by Andy Reid's refusal to run the football.

Wide Receivers: :Cowboys: Receivers are even but the Cowboys get the edge because of Witten.

Offensive Line: :Cowboys:

Defensive Line: :Eagles:

Linebackers: :Cowboys:

Cornerback: :Eagles:

Safety: Even.

/my$0.02

Quarterback: but we're talking about the most talented, right? Injury doesn't have anything to do with their talent level. So Philly gets the nod at QB.

RB: McCoy makes up for not running the ball when he kicks ass getting screen passes. That's something that Reid does well.

Receivers: I agree with you. Bryant, Austin, and Witten are better than the Eagles receivers.

OL: I'd say even here. I don't think the Cowboys offensive line is very good at all. Their 1-2 "elite" OL-men are overrated.

DL: I agree with the Eagles

LB: Cowboys for sure.

Cornerback: Eagles for sure.

Safety: Even, definitely. Neither Dallas nor Philly has awesome safeties.

So I'd say:

Eagles: 4

Cowboys: 2

Even: 2

Just my opinion though.

Guest Phailadelphia

The Cowboys OLine is DEFINITELY better than the Eagles line, especially this year. Free and the rookie Smith alone are better than anyone in Philly and Kyle Kosier is underrated.

Preseason game or not, Vick did not react well to pressure. We saw that at the end of last season (Minnesota game in particular comes to mind) and it doesn't appear he's gotten much better in that aspect.

He's calling audibles and adjusting to pressure better, but in the Browns game, the whole right side of the line looked confused, probably as a result of the rookie personnel. I don't think Kelce takes the job from Jamaal Jackson until mid season at the earliest. Anyway, Vick showed great improvement from Minnesota, calling out blitzers and recognizing hot routes against the Steelers, but he made some inaccurate and some dumb throws.

I think he also is trying to just get rid of the ball and force things he wouldn't when he would normally just take the sack or run, recognizing it is preseason and the last thing we need is him getting hurt just so he can make a play that nobody will even remember by week 2. He threw up two prayers that got intercepted that didn't even have an Eagle in the vicinity. Two. I can't think of one time he threw up a prayer that got picked last year. He is taking way too many hits, and I was not a fan of Kelce getting to play over Jackson in the Browns game. Jamaal did fine against the Ravens, and he did great against the Steelers. The Browns blitzed all over Kelce, Watkins, and Dunlap, and the inside gaps got burned a lot.

And let's not forget that Maclin has the best hands on the team (Avant had a couple unforgivable drops in the endzone), and he's the best hot route guy.

And let's hold on a second... you say Tyron Smith, a rookie, is better than ANYONE on the Eagles line... but I'm a crazy homer when I say Juan Castillo COULD POSSIBLY BE a better DC than Rob Ryan. Wow. Whatever happened to "he hasn't proven anything yet?" when you compare a rookie to a former All Pro nominee in Jackson, Pro Bowler in Peters, and the versatile and underrated Todd Herremans.

Quarterback: but we're talking about the most talented, right? Injury doesn't have anything to do with their talent level. So Philly gets the nod at QB.

Injury has everything to do with everything. Player only has the chance to be great when he's on the field. Philly gets the nod at QB because nobody knows how Romo is going to rebound from being out last season.

And let's hold on a second... you say Tyron Smith, a rookie, is better than ANYONE on the Eagles line... but I'm a crazy homer when I say Juan Castillo COULD POSSIBLY BE a better DC than Rob Ryan. Wow. Whatever happened to "he hasn't proven anything yet?" when you compare a rookie to a former All Pro nominee in Jackson, Pro Bowler in Peters, and the versatile and underrated Todd Herremans.

I won't say that Tyron Smith is better than anyone in the NFL just yet, but he is proving to be a huge asset. I haven't really seen anyone in Philly make such an impact on the o line like that, especially if they have to have their TE help out. With that said though, comparing a player who has proven himself in at a position (in college) is different than a coach switching over to his old job years ago (in high school). College obviously translates into the NFL better than high school so it may just be better to drop all that before we get more LOL moments.

I won't say that Tyron Smith is better than anyone in the NFL just yet, but he is proving to be a huge asset. I haven't really seen anyone in Philly make such an impact on the o line like that, especially if they have to have their TE help out. With that said though, comparing a player who has proven himself in at a position (in college) is different than a coach switching over to his old job years ago (in high school). College obviously translates into the NFL better than high school so it may just be better to drop all that before we get more LOL moments.

The left side of the line was solid. Jason Peters and Herremans were rocking people all year last year.

I was just pointing out the hypocrisy. I didn't even say Castillo WOULD be better than Rob Ryan, I just said that we have no idea yet.

Guest Phailadelphia

Jason Peters is the most overrated LT in the league. DWare embarrasses him twice a year every season (I specifically remember a tweet by an NFL beat writer last season that said "If Jason Peters is a Pro Bowl LT, what does that make DeMarcus Ware?").

Jason Peters is the most overrated LT in the league. DWare embarrasses him twice a year every season (I specifically remember a tweet by an NFL beat writer last season that said "If Jason Peters is a Pro Bowl LT, what does that make DeMarcus Ware?").

Eh Peters is solid, he's not fantastic, and that's how he's viewd pretty much everyone. He's rated just right. The pro bowl is a shit measuring stick please don't bring it out to support an argument that someone is overrated. Demarcus Ware is the best player on your team and a future hall of famer. He will go down as one of the best OLB of all time, imo. Kind of a mismatch for almost everyone.

The right side of the oline (including center) has a possibility of being completely different from last season. It was a problem last season (especially at RG, hence our 1st rnd pick), and sadly there were not as many top 5 olinemen available in free agency this season or we'd have snatched them away from everyone too. :shifty:

Yeah, seriously. Saying that Peters sucks because Ware gets a sack on him every game is like saying the whole 80's sucked because Lawrence Taylor raped everyone.

And looking at only pass blocking (vs. Ware) does highlight a weakness, but it severely overlooks Jason's strongest attribute, which is his run blocking. He is an absolute bulldozer out there, and the stats prove it. Every Eagles preseason game they mention "they got 6.(whatever) yards per carry running to the left last season as opposed to 4.(whatever) yards running to the right." That's Herremans and Peters at work. I've seen him manhandle guys from the 15 all the way into the end zone... more than once.

He sometimes has DE's get the best of him for a couple plays per game in the pass game, but find me one perfect left tackle. I feel like every left tackle is "underrated" for one season, then they get talked about, and everyone watches them under a microscope, and then by next season they're "overrated," because they saw someone gets a sack or two against them.

• Upvote 1

Guest MikeyDay

Only things id say about Philly that are bad are, Vick isnt as good as everyone thinks, idc about the WASH-PHI game, thats one game and hell Wash was pretty bad last yr. Their lbs arent known, i think if they can just limit big plays on their part that DEF will be set. Safeties falls the same as the LBS. If they can just play decent Philly has a top 5 Defense. Washburn is there so Babin and Cole are gunna get off. But i dont like Vick, hes such a risk imo.