Sign in to follow this  
FSUViking

Fitz Sr. predicts Fitz Jr will come back home in 2012

Larry Fitzgerald Sr. says that Larry Jr. “always wanted to be a Viking”

Posted by Mike Florio on August 5, 2011, 7:53 AM EDT

Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald is entering the final year of his contract, and the Cardinals having no way to keep him from leaving after the season, since the contract prevents the team from using the franchise tag on the 2004 first-rounder. As a result, Cardinals G.M. Rod Graves recently told PFT Live that the franchise’s top priority at this point will be to sign Fitzgerald to a long-term extension before the regular season starts.

Some believe that Fitzgerald’s top alternative will be to return home to Minnesota and play for the Vikings. One person with unique access to Fitzgerald’s thought processes has provided some insight into that theory.

Appearing on ESPN Radio Los Angeles with Max Kellerman and Marcellus Wiley, Larry Fitzgerald Sr. had this to say when asked about the possibility, via SportsRadioInterviews.com: “No. The Vikings are clearing cap space I have heard that but Larry has to make that decision. This is his life and he has always wanted to be a Viking because he is a Viking. He was a ball boy and that type of thing. He loves playing in Arizona, he’s valued in that community, and he’s a Cardinal.”

So what would it take for Larry Jr. to be a Viking? “[T]he Cardinals would have to fall on their face,” Larry Sr. said.

One of the hosts then said that connecting the dots takes Larry Jr. back to Minnesota. “Well yeah he always wanted to be a Viking growing up. He got drafted by a Viking. Dennis Green left Minnesota and went to Arizona.”

Moving forward, the Cardinals should make their best offer to Fitzgerald sooner rather than later, especially with more than $14 million in cap room as of Thursday. If they can’t work it out with Larry Jr., then they should trade him to Minnesota now and get something in return.

We know it sounds far-fetched, but when Larry Sr. points out that the “Vikings are clearing cap space,” it sounds like something could possibly happen before 2012.

SOURCE: PFT

It's long been rumored (and hoped) that Fitz would someday don the purple & gold. He still lives here in the off-season and has his football camps and off-season programs at the U of MN. I see it as a long shot but you never know.

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!! PERIOD!!!

The Cardinals are fully aware of the huge value that Fitz produces for the team, but also for the community at large. They would cut 12+ players to get him signed to a long term contract. Plus, he has said on record many times in the past that he loves playing for the Arizona Cardinals, and wants to finish his NFL career there. Anybody who says otherwise can go and fuck off!!!!

Edited by CARDINALOFWISDOM

I would respect him wanting to play for his hometown team but I see Fitzgerald as a guy who would like to experience some more success and possibly reach a ring after coming up just short in '08. The Vikes just don't have that in the making right now.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

I would respect him wanting to play for his hometown team but I see Fitzgerald as a guy who would like to experience some more success and possibly reach a ring after coming up just short in '08. The Vikes just don't have that in the making right now.

This, pretty much.

It would be a great story and he would add A LOT for the Vikings and Christian Ponder. But Fitz is in the prime of his career, nearing 30 and doesn't have a ring. He has one contract left in him (maybe two if he plays a while), and I think he is going to want a little more competence instead of wasting away his talent.

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!

The Cardinals are fully aware of the huge value that Fitz produces for the team, but also for the community at large. They would cut 12+ players to get him signed to a long term contract. Plus, he has said on record many times in the past that he loves playing for the Arizona Cardinals, and wants to finish his NFL career there. Anybody who says otherwise can go and fuck off!!!!

Wow, kid. Settle the fucking hell down. Cutting 12+ players is mathematically impossible. You would either have too few players to complete an NFL roster or you'd have to cut players actually worth a shit to make that stupid theory come true.

Lots of players say they love whatever city and team they play for. Doesn't mean shit. Have you followed sports for longer than 10 minutes?

Well, the Cardinals are still the Cardinals. They couldn't even win the worst fucking division on the history of football last year. He would experience more success playing with Harvin, AP, and a Top 10 defense then he will with Kevin "Scott Mitchell" Kolb in Arizona.

Well, the Cardinals are still the Cardinals. They couldn't even win the worst fucking division on the history of football last year. He would experience more success playing with Harvin, AP, and a Top 10 defense then he will with Kevin "Scott Mitchell" Kolb in Arizona.

Where did I say he stays with the Cards? I'm thinking he will go to a team who is built to win now.

Fitzgerald said he loves what the team has done in acquiring guys like Kolb, and I believe him. While I think we would all love to play in our hometown, Fitz seems to have that rare quality of staying committed to the franchise that drafted him, so long as they stay committed to winning. Of course, the Kolb experiment could fail epically, which would probably make Fitzgerald change his mind.

Wow, kid. Settle the fucking hell down. Cutting 12+ players is mathematically impossible. You would either have too few players to complete an NFL roster or you'd have to cut players actually worth a shit to make that stupid theory come true.

Lots of players say they love whatever city and team they play for. Doesn't mean shit. Have you followed sports for longer than 10 minutes?

Very funny!!!! :lol:

I based that post/comment on the fact the it is not in Larry Fitzgerald's character to jump ship when the team (Cardinals) may not be doing that well (for example, last season). I don't see the possiblity where he leaves Arizona because the management executive (GM Rod Graves, President Michael Bidwell, and the owner Bill Bidwell) will do everything in there power to make Fitz happy because he is by far there best player. To keep him may lead them into cutting a number (12 players may not be the exact figure, I was just highlighting a point that I was trying to make) players so they have the required cap space which to sign the deal to keep him there for the long term (so he retires as a Cardinal)!!!

Where did I say he stays with the Cards? I'm thinking he will go to a team who is built to win now.

Define "now." The Vikings were 5-11 last year. The year before that they were overtime away from the Super Bowl. "Now" in the NFL lasts about as long as it takes to type the word.

Fitzgerald said he loves what the team has done in acquiring guys like Kolb, and I believe him. While I think we would all love to play in our hometown, Fitz seems to have that rare quality of staying committed to the franchise that drafted him, so long as they stay committed to winning. Of course, the Kolb experiment could fail epically, which would probably make Fitzgerald change his mind.

I believe that too, but when you're a free agent in 7 months and you're hometown team is gearing up to come at you and your family expects you to sign..... :shrug:

God I hate the Vikings....I hate them so very very much...

• Upvote 1

Who says the Vikings aren't built to win now? They were a dumb Brett Favre throw away from the Super Bowl two years ago. They sucked last year, but I think injuries and terrible QB play did them in. Who knows if McNabb can find himself again or if Ponder is for real, but isn't like this is a team that can't compete. Going into last season they were a favorite in the NFC.

I think Fitz would have a better chance of winning a ring with the Vikings than the Cardinals, but if that is what he really wants he wouldn't sign with either.....he'd obviously sign with the Philiami Heagles. :shifty:

• Upvote 1

Who says the Vikings aren't built to win now? They were a dumb Brett Favre throw away from the Super Bowl two years ago. They sucked last year, but I think injuries and terrible QB play did them in. Who knows if McNabb can find himself again or if Ponder is for real, but isn't like this is a team that can't compete. Going into last season they were a favorite in the NFC.

I think Fitz would have a better chance of winning a ring with the Vikings than the Cardinals, but if that is what he really wants he wouldn't sign with either.....he'd obviously sign with the Philiami Heagles. :shifty:

The Vikes from '09 and now are very different and it isn't just Favre and Rice. That o-line is terrible, the secondary looks very bleak and their best player in the secondary is going to start declining and retire soon. I wouldn't exactly call the Vikes a team built to win now, they were built to win 2 years ago and blew it. As a team built to win now would be the Eagles, although I doubt they could afford him, the Bears have a couple of good seasons left before that D crumbles, and the Ravens could use a big receiving threat to try for a ring before Lewis and Reed are gone. Those are just 3 teams I could see pursuing Fitz, obviously there will be many more.

Also it wasn't just Favre's fault they lost. Whole team couldn't hold onto the ball and having 12 guys in the huddle is what forced Favre into trying to make a play. The D didn't exactly hold up on that gamewinning drive either.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Who says the Vikings can't be built to win next season? It's not like they can't be a decent team this year and a good one next. There's plenty of reason to play in Minnesota. Starts off with AP and Harvin.

Who says the Vikings can't be built to win next season? It's not like they can't be a decent team this year and a good one next. There's plenty of reason to play in Minnesota. Starts off with AP and Harvin.

They can rebuild that O-line and secondary in one offseason? Don't think so.

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!! PERIOD!!!

Although this post is a bit out there, I think a good point can be taken from it. It shows how much the Arizona management (and fans, in this case) want Fitzgerald to stick around. He is the guy they have tried to build their team around.

But then again, the want isn't the only thing necessary to hold onto a guy. The money has to be there, too.