Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Should college athletes be paid????

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do college athletes deserve to be compensated????

I never said that the colleges care about the athletes. Only that they put them in a situation to better THEMSELVES. That means taking action themselves to have a better future.

Also, yes, it is attitudes like yours. You said so much yourself in your last post. It seems like you're so blinked by your personal crusade to be right that you're not even thinking before you reply. You basically said the same thing that I did in my previous post in response to my previous post. People DO write these kids off. You're right, just like I was when I said that in the post you quoted.

But that's just it. You're essentially putting people in a situation who have delusions that they will all make it big. And believe me, a vast majority of them do. My college has a D-III football team, and the guys who were recruited here have that same mindset. And they do nothing in classes, and they get treated with the same star treatment, and this is a D-III school.

These guys are already behind the eight-ball because most of them would not have the academic credentials to make these programs, and it gets worse when they hit the college ranks where you throw on top of the high academic standards around the clock workout schedules, etc. Hence the reason why most of them never graduate. And the ones that do end up being assistant coaches, etc, at best.

If you're a school that doesn't accept students with GPA's lower then a 3., the reason is probably that the curriculum to graduate, courses offered from that college is probably a whole lot harder.

What about the ones who have those aspirations of making it big, and once they realize it's not their give up entirely because of the rigorous standards? Or the lack of ambition to get a college degree?

If you have a student on campus who has no business being accepted to a specific school by academic standards, and he gets kicked off the football team, what happens to him?

What happens to those guys who go down with injuries and can't be on athletic scholarships, and struggle/don't care about academics?

What about the ones who fall under the category of "thugs", etc, and get kicked off the team, what happens to them?

Or what about the ones who get catered all the way through college thinking it will be the same thing when they graduate with degrees in "general studies" etc, but realize that there's nothing to be had with it?

The thing is, at least they see SOME redeeming quality in their athleticism, even if their end game to to exploit it in some or many cases. They get a shot that an average person doesn't often get. Like I said before, just having a degree—even a trumped up one—gives them a much better shot at getting a higher paying job than if they didn't get one at all. I've seen it personally, but since you seem to be so into studies and articles, there are plenty that back this statement up if you don't want to take my word for it: look it up.

At least these people who "don't care," or whatever, don't just discard the athletes like you were so ready to do before you started back-peddling. I do recall you saying that colleges should only take recruits who are "smart enough." That's a pretty terrible commentary imo. NOW you're claiming that they should do MORE for these kids that you deem unworthy of a scholarship opportunity.

I never said that, nor is it my opinion. This is all I ever said from the start.

Instead, colleges do the opposite on purpose going for kids who would never be accepted to these programs if going by academic standards, are barely literate, and that they know hardly have a chance to graduate regardless of how help they are given. What job is a former DI athlete who was accepted on the grounds of athletic talent, can't handle the academic rigors of most of these D1 programs have, and who took tailored classes qualified for?

All I said was what the colleges do- or how they work. Not my opinion on what the colleges should do. I have no opinion, and frankly I could care less who they recruit. As long as the guys who get recruited get paid for the large sums of cash they are bringing in to their schools.

That was my second post on this thread, and it was the first one I went in depth about anything. Now please do go on and show me where I start back-pedaling.

You soap box here about this broken system—one of the only things you've said that I agree with—but the only solution that you've offered up is a quick fix of, what was it? 12-15,000 dollars? So just throw some CHUMP change at it in the place of ACTUAL change, right? That's the answer? Pay them a little hush money and then send them out into the world 4 years older and just as unequipped as they were when the were plucked out of whatever hole they came from for exploitation purposes?

If you really want to help these kids, which it's been clear from the start that you don't by deeming them unworthy, how about taking the millions upon millions that you want to use to keep these athletes stupid and use it to better their educational experience? Give them better tutors, higher minimum requirements—or at least make them meet the ones already laid out—and a better awareness of the opportunity they HAVE been given. Make no mistake, that's exactly what it is: an opportunity.

One again, whether or not the system is broken is irrelevant to the point that they are making large sums of money for their school, and they never get to see it.

And the "free education" that everyone keeps referring to is a false misconception because they have to work to keep that "free education". And something that you have to work for isn't free.

So if they work for it, why shouldn't they be properly compensated?

For the record, I'm not naive at all. I'm not the one who thinks throwing a little cash around will fix the underlying problem, or broken system as it were. It is a golden ticket. It's an earned opportunity that more people will never get than there are those that will. It's a shame that more people don't make these kids aware of the possible life changing doors that can be opened by taking said opportunity seriously. Most of them will never go pro, but all of them will need income. A college education gives them the ability to get it.

I never said you were naive, and I'm sorry if it ever came off as me saying you were naive. I don't take personal shots. I said your view imo was naive, but by no means was that targeted towards me believing you to be naive.

You're probably older then me and already out in the workforce, I'd have no business calling you naive...

And while yea, a college education gives them that ability, most of them don't go to a school for what a college education might offer them. And leave once they realize the primary reason the are their isn't a probability. That's just how it is...

• Upvote 1

Except, this isn't perfect world, it's not such a "golden ticket", and the college that recruit realize this and use it to their full advantage.

In a perfect world colleges would only recruit athletes who are smart enough to meet their educational requirements. That way even in the event that the athlete has no future in the next level, they can use the courses offered, etc, to make a better future for themselves.

That was the sentence that got me all whipped into a frenzy. At this point I'm pretty much assuming that it just came out wrong or that I took it the wrong way. It read, to me, as if your stance was that only the highly educated already privileged were worthy of going to college.

I've posted here for a couple of years and know that you're obviously not one of "those" guys, but it's a slippery slope when we start telling kids who have worked their whole lives to earn a shot at playing college ball that they're not smart enough to play football at a competitive level anymore. If they can't hack it academically, then so be it. Everyone deserves a chance to succeed or fail though, and a lot of times people can surprise you.

For the record I liked your last post very much. Thank you for the clarification. I still don't think that these kids should get paid, but I have a better understanding of your point of view, as I hope you do mine.

• Upvote 2

Maybe for like endorsements and things like that but they shouldn't be paid in the form of contracts or through the university. They should be able to declare for the draft whenever they want though

Paying college players would be absurd in my opinion! Just because colleges make a ton of money from the sports DOES NOT mean these players are the reason for that revenue.

Take a tour of your average big-time collegiate athletic facility, the names on the building and rooms are NOT athletes. These athletic facilities were built by ALUMNI, not athletes. These fantastic facilities were built so their programs could bring in top quality talent, the idea being that some of these great athletes want to become professional. Great, they're given the best facilities in America to try and make their dreams happen.

This is no different then the University offering top academic talent access to the best equipment and facilities they can offer with scholarships for tuition and stipends for living.

College athletes have it made. They get a free education, free room and board, free athlete-only lounges, free private dining halls, free tutors, free academic advisors and free private gym memberships. Are you kidding me? And now they think they should get paid? Hell, half of them will get jobs offered to them on a silver platter just so "Bill Smith's Car Dealership" can say they employ an athlete from so-and-so school.

I mean I busted my ass to complete my undergraduate degree, the fact that some athletes do not understand the value of the education does not de-value the degree. They are given a fantastic opportunity. In fact the only idea that makes any sense is to institute harsher punishment for those athletes that break the rules and even harsher punishments for those coaches and directors that hide these transgressions. I don't think its right to allow athletes to make money off the hard work of Alumni. But that's just my opinion!! #RAIDERNATION4LIFE!!!

• Upvote 1

Maybe for like endorsements and things like that but they shouldn't be paid in the form of contracts or through the university. They should be able to declare for the draft whenever they want though

They can declare whenever they want. They just aren't gonna get drafted. Clarret declared after his freshman year. It didn't work out too well for him though. Tamba Hali was 19 when he was drafted.

That being said, I completely agree that college athletes should be able to PROFIT off of their collegiate career. They can't sell their own clothing. That's just an archaic rule. It's a disgrace that these kids can't make their own money however they choose, within the law of course. That would be a better gauge of how much said player is worth anyway, imo. The bigger the star, the more $$$ they can make off of their own name. After all: IT'S THEIR NAME.

They can declare whenever they want. They just aren't gonna get drafted. Clarret declared after his freshman year. It didn't work out too well for him though. Tamba Hali was 19 when he was drafted.

Tamba Hali was 23 during the 2006 NFL draft, where he was taken 20th overall by the Kansas City Chiefs. Maurice Clarett was 22 during the 2005 NFL Draft, where he was selected by the Denver Broncos with the 101st pick. The NFL Draft eligibility rules require you to be 3 years removed from high school. Usually this means either a junior or redshirt sophmore. Clarett was able to declare after his freshman season because he was 22 at the time.

In all honesty I think they should. The amount should be the same for each player though. Agents are paying them and this could eradicate the problem with agents.

People say that a 4 year education is enough but dont realize that having some of these big stars on a team make schools cash in.

I'm not even saying they should be allowed to pay them, but if they could, many schools would end up making a profit just by having better players rather than having USC hold on to 5 4 star running backs each year.

Paid is a tricky word. Should the players be compensated in some way for all that they do for their universities? Yes. Should there be some sort of stipend system designed to make up for the fact that they have no time for a personal job despite earning billions for their school? Yes.

But an actual salary system? No.

College football is the greatest sport in the world because the athletes aren’t paid, at least not officially. I don’t buy that paying them would cut down on under-the-table green handshakes. It would probably just make it worse. Think about it, if the kids are getting paid already then what booster wouldn’t feel a little more comfortable paying a Christmas bonus to the star QB?

Then there’s the fact that bigger schools with bigger endowments would end up buying better players at a greater rate than they are now. If paying these kids suddenly became kosher an insane number of honest alums would step forward wielding their platinum cards with their wallets open. College football is at least pure on the surface for now. Paying the athletes a salary would do nothing more than ruin the game and create 18 year old free agents.

Tamba Hali was 23 during the 2006 NFL draft, where he was taken 20th overall by the Kansas City Chiefs. Maurice Clarett was 22 during the 2005 NFL Draft, where he was selected by the Denver Broncos with the 101st pick. The NFL Draft eligibility rules require you to be 3 years removed from high school. Usually this means either a junior or redshirt sophmore. Clarett was able to declare after his freshman season because he was 22 at the time.

not quite, that was a pretty big lawsuit against the NFL when he tried to declare for the 2004 draft after what would have been his sophomore season, he was kicked out of OSU in the summer of 2003 (after the 2003 draft but before the 2003 NCAA season) then tried to enter the 2004 draft but was only two years removed from high school, he lost in federal appeals court and had to wait until the 2005 draft when he was three years removed from high school, he was 22 at that point

the youngest player to play in the NFL is Amobi Okoye, who was only 19 when he was drafted by the Texans in 2007 (tenth overall) but he moved to the US from Nigeria at age 12 and tested into the 9th grade so he finished high school at 16 and was eligible under the three year rule

I think college athletes should be paid if they didn't get a full scholarship to play for their school. They could pay them similar to how students are paid when they get a job on campus. Since they're technically working for the school and representing the university, I think they could be compensated in some way since it takes a lot of dedication and hard work during practice and on the field to perform at a high level.

I think college athletes should be paid if they didn't get a full scholarship to play for their school. They could pay them similar to how students are paid when they get a job on campus. Since they're technically working for the school and representing the university, I think they could be compensated in some way since it takes a lot of dedication and hard work during practice and on the field to perform at a high level.

is that any different from just giving more scholarships? not that more scholarships would be a bad idea (in fact, I think I've said the opposite in this thread) just wondering if that's what you're advocating