Sign in to follow this  
Glanvilles Grits

Colts sign retired Kerry Collins

Well, looks like the rumors about the Colts possibly signing Collins have been true all along,

Colts agree to terms with Collins - NFL.com

The Colts act confident that Manning will be ready to play come week 1, but this tells me there is more uncertainty than the Colts have actually made public. I am willing to bet that Peyton starts week 1, but if there are any signs of issues with him playing, Collins goes in.

Much better option than Painter and Orlovsky.

Collins wouldn't sign to sit on the bench, he obviously has some expectation of playing

Manning has a streak going. No way Collins plays.

The streak won't mean anything if his neck is too bad for him to play. I don't think they would have signed Kerry unless there was a very good chance Peyton would be missing the 1st week.

Per Rotoworld:

The Colts "braintrust" does not believe Peyton Manning (neck surgery) will be ready for Week 1, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

According to Mortensen, Manning is "hopeful." But today's signing of Kerry Collins combined with this report should send Manning plummeting down fantasy draft boards. Even though Manning has played in 208 straight games and the Colts handed him a mammoth contract extension a month ago, his rehab from neck surgery clearly isn't going as expected. Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Philip Rivers are all safer picks in the second tier of fantasy quarterbacks.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Really hoping to see Kerry Collins play the Texans come Week 1. :yep:

Jesus, Collins? They could have at least called Grandpa Brent. Or shit...take a troupe into the mountains of Montana or wherever and spend a day or two looking for Jake Plummer.

The streak won't mean anything if his neck is too bad for him to play. I don't think they would have signed Kerry unless there was a very good chance Peyton would be missing the 1st week.

yeah, it's not like a knee that you can just add extra padding to or play carefully on, a neck injury isn't something to mess around with, even if it's 95% recovered getting hit the wrong way could do permanent damage, and that's the kind of shit that affects life outside of football

So glad Peyton took one for the team with that monstrous contract extension.

Better to miss him for a couple games than an entire season. This was a smart move although it was way late. I know nobody really expects Peyton to be out but it seems the Colts were never ready for it from the get-go. I guess they put too much faith in Painter? Maybe with Collins around, they can cut him.

this wasn't a shock to me at all, i knew they would pick up a Veteran.

There's more important records than his starting streak, and Manning knows that.

If he plays just to keep his streak alive, he risks ending his career and missing out on potentially holding all the major QB records in history.

If Manning isn't ready come week 1, he'll still play the first snap, cause it'll count towards his start record. He'll just hand it off to Addai and high five Kerry Collins as he comes on to the field to take over for the rest of the game.

If Manning isn't ready come week 1, he'll still play the first snap, cause it'll count towards his start record. He'll just hand it off to Addai and high five Kerry Collins as he comes on to the field to take over for the rest of the game.

I could be completely off base here, but I think Manning has more respect for the game and that sort of record to pull shit like a ceremonial start to keep his starts streak intact

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's Adam Schefter predicted on SportsCenter Friday that Kerry Collins would be the Colts' Week 1 starting quarterback.

"They're going as if Kerry Collins is going to be the starter," said Schefter. "That's the feeling in the organization." Schefter appears to be referring the early season only; the Colts wouldn't have removed Peyton Manning from the PUP list if they expected him to sit out the entire year. We'll know more when the Colts begin Week 1 preparations next week, but for now it looks like Collins is in the driver's seat to start against the Texans. It would be a major early-season blow to all of Indianapolis' pass catchers. Sep 2 - 2:29 PM

I still think Peyton starts. Colts are keeping the screen up.

A Colts source tells CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman that there is "potential" for Peyton Manning (neck) to miss 4-5 games "or more" to start the season.

The Colts originally thought Kerry Collins would play a game or two in place of Manning. That's no longer the case. "I can tell you the coaches are preparing for a longer period of life without Manning," writes Freeman. "They are hoping for the best but now fearing the worst." It's time to lower expectations for Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, and Dallas Clark. Kerry Collins is now on the radar as a low-end QB2.

Related: Austin Collie, Kerry Collins, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Pierre Garcon

Source: CBSSports.com

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning is being re-evaluated by several doctors because of the slow progress in his rehab from offseason neck surgery, according to sources familiar with his medical condition.

However, the sources said that no new procedure on Manning's neck is scheduled at this time.

According to sources, multiple neurosurgeons have been consulted throughout the course of Manning's recovery, but they do not have a consensus reason for the slow pace. The sources added that Manning was still waiting for more information from doctors.

ESPN

Kinda belongs before MOTM's post... but it hasn't been mentioned why all of a sudden they are expecting him to possibly miss more time..