RazorStar

Let's find the Average TGP member

I am not sure where you guys live in America, but for the most part in South Carolina it seems that most people are nearer my height than 6' or taller. Last average I heard was 5'10 for American men, but that could be an old stat. Around me, 7 out of 10 men are UNDER 6 feet tall, so for over 90% of the men here to claim to be over 6 is kind of hard for me to swallow.

People lie online about their heights all of the time. I have never understood the point, though. Most of the time it is to lie to women, but here we have, what, 2 females? Not much point in lying, but some habits are hard to kill.

I'd say the majority of people I pass each day are shorter than me, but at 6'4 I'm not even the tallest in the family. My brother is 6'10. My mom was 5'11.

I've seen pictures of a majority of the members that say they are over 6' and it's pretty easy to tell they are telling the truth.

Statistics probably haven't been updated since 'Nam. There's so many dudes 6 feet tall and over nowadays that there's no way 5'9'' is an accurate average.

It is still the average for the whole world, I'm pretty sure. However the height among predominantly African and European nations is higher since those people tend to be taller. This site is predominately black and white so you can see how it would be reflected in this poll.

• Upvote 1

I tell you what, soon as we all become successful as shit, we'll have some awkward (but probably pretty sweet) TGP convention and all questions about height shall be answered!

I tell you what, soon as we all become successful as shit, we'll have some awkward (but probably pretty sweet) TGP convention and all questions about height shall be answered!

90% are over 6 foot, yet the average is under that... Something isn't adding up in your math...

You say the average around you is 5'10"... 5'10" if also the national average (US) in males 20-29...Our average is 5'11"... I don't see the issue with ONE INCH. :shrug:

So my math is off, the number of guys here who claim to be over 6' is closer to 60%. Does that invalidate my point?

Ultimately, the average for the site came down to a reasonable level. That does not mean that people here absolutely did not exaggerate their heights. It just means that we have some members who are honest and/or just really short (like myself)

35 is a pretty small sample size overall, I know Funny is lying (which is why his wasn't included), but 5'11 and 1/2 is not too bad. I've sure we asked another 35 random members of TGP we're be much closer to that 5'10" average overall.

Ultimately, the average for the site came down to a reasonable level. That does not mean that people here absolutely did not exaggerate their heights. It just means that we have some members who are honest and/or just really short (like myself)

Wait...so only the shorter people are honest and everyone else exaggerated their height? Is that what you're saying or am I interpreting it wrong?

That would mean if I was to joke around and just list my height at 5'3, I would be considered one of the honest ones, though I would actually be lying.

Wait...so only the shorter people are honest and everyone else exaggerated their height? Is that what you're saying or am I interpreting it wrong?

That would mean if I was to joke around and just list my height at 5'3, I would be considered one of the honest ones, though I would actually be lying.

I can see how it reads like that and I am not sure that I got my point across. I am going to do myself a favor and quit while I am very far behind.

Probably every 10 years or so, the average height goes up a half inch. I would actually not be surprised if the average height for an adult male in the world today is 5'11".

I'm 5'9", and there are a lot more men who are taller than me than there are shorter than me. At least, that's how it seems.

Edited by Sarge

Probably every 10 years or so, the average height goes up a half inch. I would actually not be surprised if the average height for an adult male in the world today is 5'11".

I'm 5'9", and there are a lot more men who are taller than me than there are shorter than me. At least, that's how it seems.

Looks like the most recent study I found was 2002 and it showed about 5-9.5. It was a pretty quick search, but white and Black males are higher than that and Asian and Hispanic males are a bit shorter, in general.

I don't know about the average, but going to the kid's football games makes me feel like a little dude, and I'm definitely not a little dude.

15 year old kids over 6'1 and probably around my weight...if not more.

Yea, I think the average height and weight in the US have to be more than what we really would think at first. If you could mold the average American male, I bet he would turn out around 5'11" 180. When my grandfather was in the Marines, he was considered a big guy at 6'1" 215. I suppose that's still an above average size, but that's not really THAT big anymore.

Edited by Sarge

Yea, I think the average height and weight in the US have to be more than what we really would think at first. If you could mold the average American male, I bet he would turn out around 5'11" 180. When my grandfather was in the Marines, he was considered a big guy at 6'1" 215. I suppose that's still an above average size, but that's not really THAT big anymore.

I agree, I definitely feel like a short guy most of the time at 5'10.

Yes. Additionally, I tend to look like a rag doll at 175 pounds compared to a lot of people. Again, my pap was considered a big guy at 215 pounds. There are more people today in the 230+ pound category than ever. I think if I (5'9" 175) lived back when my grandfather was my age, I would feel like a normal-sized person.