Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Seahawks @ Steelers

TIME: 01:00 P.M. EST

VENUE: Heinz Field

The Pittsburgh Steelers made few offseason changes to a roster that was good enough to get to Super Bowl XLV, but in their season opener they looked like a team that was introduced shortly before kickoff.

Hosting the Seattle Seahawks could help them rediscover a bit of continuity.

Seven turnovers doomed the Steelers in their most lopsided loss in 14 years, one they'll be eager to put behind them Sunday at Heinz Field against a Seahawks team that has plenty of its own issues.

Pittsburgh (0-1) didn't tinker much with a team that finished 12-4 and reached its third Super Bowl in six years, and it went into last Sunday's opener at Baltimore with every reason to believe it could make another deep playoff run this season.

That confidence certainly took a hit after a 35-7 loss, the Steelers' worst defeat since their 1997 season opener against Dallas and the first time they finished minus-seven in the turnover department since Week 1 in 1989.

Pittsburgh, however, insists it's already moved on from a loss safety Troy Polamalu described as "a big step toward humility."

"That game is behind us," receiver Hines Ward told the team's official website. "We are just worrying about Seattle. The guys in this locker room know how bad we played. ... Are we excited about how we played? No. We are embarrassed about it."

Coach Mike Tomlin agreed, pointing to punter Daniel Sepulveda's work as the only performance he was pleased with in Baltimore.

"I think the people that know and compete in this league understand that there is a fine line between drinking wine and squashing grapes," Tomlin said. "Obviously, last weekend we were grape squashers."

The Seahawks (0-1) were hardly satisfied with their own Week 1 effort, letting an opportunity slip away in San Francisco. Down 16-0 at halftime, Seattle pulled to within 19-17 with 3:56 left before allowing Ted Ginn Jr. to return both a kickoff and a punt for touchdowns to seal the 49ers' 33-17 win.

Aside from the Seahawks' obvious special teams issues, though, coach Pete Carroll wasn't totally upset.

"I made sure (Monday) in the team meeting to show them that there was a big contrast from first to second half. They need to know that they're capable and feel it and have that confidence," Carroll said.

Neither Carroll nor Tomlin was around when Pittsburgh and Seattle met in Super Bowl XL, won 21-10 by the Steelers in a game that featured some officiating controversy, but the man who made those decisions will be at Heinz Field.

The NFL assigned Bill Leavy - who admitted last year that he botched two fourth-quarter calls - as Sunday's head referee, marking just the second Seahawks game he's been given since that Super Bowl.

While Seattle's defense was one bright spot last week - it held the 49ers to 209 total yards and just one third-down conversion in 12 attempts - not much went right for a Steelers unit that's finished no lower than fifth in total defense since Tomlin arrived in 2007.

Baltimore ran for 170 yards, 15 more than Pittsburgh allowed in three playoff games combined last season.

Marshawn Lynch and the Seahawks' rushing attack certainly don't figure to follow suit, especially with fullback Michael Robinson (ankle) out, but the Steelers are concerned about the escapability of quarterback Tarvaris Jackson if a play breaks down.

"The difficult part about preparing for him is he can run just as well as he can pass," said linebacker James Harrison, who's expected to play despite suffering a knee injury last Sunday. "You have to be able to keep him contained and not lose containment because he can kill you with his legs, too."

Jackson may be looking to run more often if he doesn't have receiver Sidney Rice (shoulder), who is again questionable to make his Seahawks debut after signing a five-year, $41 million contract in July.

Pittsburgh, meanwhile, will break in second-round pick Marcus Gilbert at right tackle after starter Willie Colon tore his right triceps against Baltimore and was placed on injured reserve.

Ben Roethlisberger, who threw three interceptions Sunday for the ninth time in his career, should be happy to see an NFC team coming into Heinz Field. Roethlisberger has led the Steelers to a 12-1 record in interconference home games he's started, averaging an impressive 8.48 yards per attempt and posting a 92.9 passer rating.

Seattle, meanwhile, has lost its last eight road games against AFC opponents - a streak that began with a 21-0 loss in Pittsburgh on Oct. 7, 2007.

Copyright 2011 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Ugh... I never like playing against the Steelers. Especially IN Pittsburgh. Best I can hope for is that we get last week's steelers and they turn the ball over to us seven times. If we get the Steelers at full power we're going to get murdered.

One thing we do seem to have going for us is that our defense has been playing really well. We'll see if they can contain and pressure Roethlisberger. if they can, and the offense can show us something, we might POSSSIBLY have a chance at this. Gotta pick up that Steelers blitz though, and with our rookie o-line... I'm not holding my breath for that. I hear tell the Steelers O-line isn';t the best either, so maybe we can at least sack them more than they sack us. Worth a shot, right?

I truly think that Steelers are able to forget that shocking 35-7 loss to Ravens...but their offense needs to be better than it was last Sunday...Roethlisberger needs to step up to the plate and cut those interceptions he made against Ravens...all in all I expect a win in front of the home crowd...

Seahawks declared WR Sidney Rice, FB Michael Robinson, OT Tyler Polumbus, OT Jarriel King, CB Byron Maxwell, and LB Malcolm Smith inactive for Week 2 against the Steelers.

Ben Obomanu will start opposite Mike Williams. Neither is a recommended fantasy play against a motivated Pittsburgh defense.

Steelers declared LG Chris Kemoeatu, CB Bryant McFadden, QB Dennis Dixon, RB Jonathan Dwyer, LB Chris Carter, OT Jamon Meredith, and WR Jerricho Cotchery inactive for Week 2 against the Seahawks.

Kemoeatu has been battling a knee injury, which is a concern after battling arthritis throughout the summer. Ramon Foster will likely take his place. Rashard Mendenhall remains a must-start, but don't be surprised if he doesn't come through with a huge game. Seattle's run defense has been stout with Red Bryant in the lineup. William Gay is expected to fill in for McFadden.

Not much to say, the Steelers are laying a goose egg on the Hawks. Seahawks were able to really mess up Ben's knee though, I have a feeling it's a pretty bad sprain.

That's exactly the kind of game I wanted to see.