Sign in to follow this  
WindyCitySports

UPDATE: Joe Paterno, School President OUT

I was debating a family member yesterday about whether or not Joe Pa should resign, and I believe he should not. This scandal is obviously sickening and people need to be held accountable. Paterno, however, deserves the benefit of the doubt here. I am not a Big Ten football fan being a Domer, but I have always loved Joe Paterno. He is a class act who deeply cares about his program and the game as a whole. I don't know what he knew and when he knew it, but everything he has done gives me the trust that he would have done something if he knew what happened. It's just like when it was exposed that Walter Payton had cheated on his wife. I knew enough about the guy and the awesome things he had done to let something completely change my mind about the person. Joe Pa has some questions to answer, but I am ready to back him unless he admits to failing to report it even though he knew what happened.

I will get off of my soapbox now.

Edited by Tridentdawgpound
  • Upvote 1

I'm not making my decision until the truth comes out. There are reports and speculation, but there's no reason to go against someone if the information has yet to be proven. If Paterno ends up proving himself innocent then I'll stick by him. If it's proven that Paterno failed to report these events or other bad information about the scandal comes out that shows he did something wrong, I'll refuse to back him. Don't make your judgement until the facts are known. :yep:

Too bad. Joe is out, Meyer is in.

I'm waiting for the final news where every single detail will be stated...Considering the current situation,Joe Paterno will resign,Urban Meyer is in...

Edited by housemd

I'm not really understanding this. How is it a "Penn State" scandal? It's just a Jerry Sandusky scandal. Penn State and Paterno have already released statements they had no idea about what was going on, and never seen any clues that could have led them to believe it was happening.

How can a school and head coach be punished for something they had no clue about? That's stupid. People are blowing the whole thing out of proportion IN TERMS of blaming the school.

That would be like blaming a parent for having their child around their grandparents only to find out that the grandparent was molesting the grandchild the whole time. It just doesn't make any sense if there are no clues to lead to that assumption.

Now, Sandusky is in the same category as everyone else who preys on children - he's a dirtbag.

Well the one part you got right is that you don't understand. Basically about 10 years ago, a graduate assistant walked in on Sandusky molesting a child. Rather than call the cops or stop the guy, he just ran out and told Paterno (I don't blame him as much because if I saw something like that I can't for sure that I'd think too clearly either). When Paterno found out he told the athletic director. The AD decided to tell Sandusky that he can't come to campus with children anymore.

So Joe Paterno knew what happened and rather than let the police know, or see what happened to the kids, or do ANYTHING he just said "ok I told someone, now I can forget about this." He didn't break the law, but that is not how any decent human acts, especially not someone whose reputation is almost solely based on being a moral person. That is why he should be fired immediatley.

And what proof at the time did Paterno have that any of this was even credible? I'm not defending the guy, but I can understand why he didn't do anything except tell his superiors.

Better to have the police do an investigation into whether or not an account of a molestation is true than to let a possible pedophile be free to do as he pleases.

Better to have the police do an investigation into whether or not an account of a molestation is true than to let a possible pedophile be free to do as he pleases.

True. I can just see though where at the time he might have thought it wasn't his place to jump into the situation like that. And a lot of times employers no matter what type of employer it is, would rather you tell superiors if there are issues like this. Then again, I also know that's a stupid reason as well.

Well I could understand just telling your superior except when he found out that his boss did nothing but a minor slap on the wrist, thats when he absolutely has to say "We need to do more. I'm calling the cops."

And in case anyone says anything about how he wouldn't want to undermine his boss, this is Joe Paterno. The AD could not say "oh we're firing our coach of about 50 years because he reported an act of pedophilia to the police when I didn't want to."

Well I could understand just telling your superior except when he found out that his boss did nothing but a minor slap on the wrist, thats when he absolutely has to say "We need to do more. I'm calling the cops."

And in case anyone says anything about how he wouldn't want to undermine his boss, this is Joe Paterno. The AD could not say "oh we're firing our coach of about 50 years because he reported an act of pedophilia to the police when I didn't want to."

I get what your saying, but that is all personal opinion blotsfan. They are letting go JoePa for him following his chain of command. He reports to the Athletic Director who reports to the committee and they report to the board of directors who report to the big guy Graham Spanier. Just like at my job, I have to report to my Supervisor if theres a problem who goes to the warehouse manager then. JoePa did everything by the book.

And let's not forget that the media isn't giving out every piece of information here. These are all still just speculations, hell, the original guy who said he "witnessed" the whole ordeal wasn't even 100% sure that was what was going on. How is that possible?

I'm with blots here for the most part.

...and that 27-year-old coach (or whatever he was)...how in the fuck does he stop at just telling Paterno??? I first go in and beat the fuck out of the guy when I see what he's doing to a CHILD. I tell Paterno and the Athletic director and then I go and tell the police...not the media or any other BS...just the police and I let them handle it/investigate it. Or at the very least just tell Paterno and Athletic Director and wait to see how they handle it...if they themselves don't go to the authorities I then go and report it.

Yes Paterno did enough to avoid legal action against him, but there is just something that is morally lacking. I'm not saying go and fire the guy or crucify the guy, but he won't be the HC of Penn State much longer and all this did was speed up that process.

Think about it from the point of view of a parent...or if one of the children molested was your child...would you be happy with how this was handled?

• Upvote 2

Paterno is retiring at the end of the season.

Paterno is retiring at the end of the season.

Penn State better prepare for a shitstorm if they let him coach these last few games.

That's the plan, as far as I know.

Joe Pa's and the Universities inaction makes them culpable. To back anyone involved is disgusting.

• Upvote 2

What is happening at Pedo Sexuality University is a joke. It's worse than Miami and SMU, IMO.

Everyone should be held responsible, they covered up for a guy who sexually abused children. Anyone who knew about this and did nothing to stop it, is trash.

What is happening at Pedo Sexuality University is a joke. It's worse than Miami and SMU, IMO.

Far worse.

You blame Paterno more than the guy who actually SAW it?!? I've pretty much agreed with you this entire thread until that statement.

How can that guy... who actually WITNESSED these disgusting and unforgivable acts live with himself knowing that he did the absolute bare minimum? How does he live... with those images ingrained into his head, knowing that that sick fuck is still out there?

I mean.. this guy walks in on a grown man molesting a boy in the shower?!? What kind of person runs the opposite direction and tells the head coach, who has little to no authority in the grand scheme of things?! Wouldn't your instinct be, after seeing that shit... go in there, kick the guys fucking ass and then call the police?

A lot of the same thing can be said for Joe Pa.... But seeing that kind of injustice first hand would light more of a fire in me to do something.

This entire thing was handled incorrectly from top to bottom. And even though he isn't innocent in the whole thing, I do feel bad for Paterno and that his legendary career has to end this way.

I'm not saying the guy who saw it isn't wrong at all. I'm just saying I don't blame him for his immediate reaction. I'd like to think that I would go in there and attack him, but seeing that is really fucked up, and I don't blame him for not acting rationally in the heat of the moment. He definitely should have done more in the aftermath, but I don't think running out of the showers is a sign of character.

I'm not saying the guy who saw it isn't wrong at all. I'm just saying I don't blame him for his immediate reaction. I'd like to think that I would go in there and attack him, but seeing that is really fucked up, and I don't blame him for not acting rationally in the heat of the moment. He definitely should have done more in the aftermath, but I don't think running out of the showers is a sign of character.

If the guy was committing murder or had some kind of weapon... I can see the rationale of getting the fuck out of there. But what was he going to do? Shower him in cum?

Obviously the grad student could have kicked his ass. He was a former qb for the team.

My point is, its easy to point out what should be done when we can think about it after the fact. In that split second its harder to think that clearly.

Obviously the grad student could have kicked his ass. He was a former qb for the team.

My point is, its easy to point out what should be done when we can think about it after the fact. In that split second its harder to think that clearly.

Ummm....no....it isn't.

The guy was 27-years-old (same age as me)...he shouldn't have to run home and ask Daddy what he should do...