Piggly Wiggly

Interesting stat: Regular season passing leader has NEVER gone on to win SB

That is a crazy stat. It just goes to show that you don't have to be a pass happy monster team to win a title. In fact, it's gonna hurt you in the long run: unless your name is Aaron Rodgers :shrug:

I'm willing to guess that most of those guys defenses weren't top notch.

Anybody think there's some meaning behind this, or is it just a weird coincidence? Really cool stat regardless, though.

That is a crazy stat. It just goes to show that you don't have to be a pass happy monster team to win a title. In fact, it's gonna hurt you in the long run: unless your name is Aaron Rodgers :shrug:

Drew Brees currently has 500 yards on Aaron... lol. Opening up us for another Super Bowl title... muhahaha

• Upvote 1

Rodgers is currently #4 and 500 yards behind Brees so he should be good, although he has played one less game than two of the three QBs ahead of him, he's still behind Brees and Brady in yards per game, so assuming they continue their current paces he should be good to go. I saw F4E commented on this fact already, but I thought I'd add some context in.

Anybody think there's some meaning behind this, or is it just a weird coincidence? Really cool stat regardless, though.

I think there could be some correlation, if you think about it teams are more likely to pass when they're trailing, so it should follow that teams that throw more do so because they're behind on the scoreboard more often which means they're probably not the best teams in the league, but maybe I'm just trying to create a connection, also, I wouldn't be surprised to see this change some time in the near future as we've shifted to much more of a passing league than there's been in the past.

I think there could be some correlation, if you think about it teams are more likely to pass when they're trailing, so it should follow that teams that throw more do so because they're behind on the scoreboard more often which means they're probably not the best teams in the league

I could see your reasoning working for teams with passing leaders who didn't make the post-season, but otherwise, not sure that argument holds.

For teams that did make the post-season, I think the connection is more like this:

The team in question has a great passing attack, obviously. But unless they are absolutely dominant in both phases of the offense, they do not also have a good running-attack- they are one-dimensional on offense. This scheme has worked just fine in the regular season, but in the postseason if one of the teams they play stops their passing attack, they lose because they are one-dimensional on offense. This may have even happened a few times during the regular season as well, but it doesn't matter because the team still went 13-3/12-4, etc. However, in the post-season, all it takes is one loss, one sub-par performance by the passing game, and that team is done.

So its not that they're not one of the best teams, it's that they aren't a complete team. They come to rely on that ridiculous passing game pulling them of everything, and if it ever falters, they don't have the tools to pull out a win without it.

Edited by Thanatos19

I could see your reasoning working for teams with passing leaders who didn't make the post-season, but otherwise, not sure that argument holds.

yeah, I'm sure it's a combination of factors, the main reason I made the point I did was because 22 of the passing leaders didn't make the playoffs, although 11 of those were in the first 13 Super Bowl seasons when passing wasn't a major thing, and it clearly isn't playing out this season as 4 of the top five passers are on division leading teams and only two of eight division leaders don't boast a top ten passer (one of which being Oakland who switched QBs and Palmer's average through two starts would put him at #4), so I think your point about being one dimensional plays into it as I doubt there have been many occasions when the #1 passing team is even near the top in rushing, and I think it also shows that there is some truth in the idea that you have to be able to run the ball to win in the playoffs.

Edited by oochymp

I think its just because teams pass more when they play from behind. If you're regularly behind, chances are you arent gonna win the super bowl.

I think there could be some correlation, if you think about it teams are more likely to pass when they're trailing, so it should follow that teams that throw more do so because they're behind on the scoreboard more often which means they're probably not the best teams in the league

So its not that they're not one of the best teams, it's that they aren't a complete team. They come to rely on that ridiculous passing game pulling them of everything, and if it ever falters, they don't have the tools to pull out a win without it.

If you look at the guys who have done this just since 2,000, You're both right. Peyton did it twice, who has NEVER had a running game. When Warner did it, they had Marshal Faulk but couldn't stop a virgin from scoring. Brady did it twice, but the Pats have always ran by committee and have never been that overpowering with it. Brees was also RB by committee and relied on a defense that created turnovers. When the turnovers stopped, so did the Saints. Also, lolRich Gannon, lolTexans defense (Matt Schaub), and Phillip Rivers last season is just lolChargersFail.

As for Culpepper, lolthatguy. Fluke year.

See: both right.

Surprising fact. I would have thought Montana was the regular season passing leader in at least one of the four seasons they got a title but I guess not. This just goes to show that an offense that relies on the pass can't get a title without a run game and/or defense. Brady won his three titles with seasons throwing 28ish TD's, not 40+. I really wish the Patriots could become the tough team of the early 2000's who could run the ball and play some physical defense. That combined with a dominant Brady would be unstoppable. :yep:

Wow, that is an interesting stat.

I have to agree with these posts. Just because you have a great pass offense doesn't mean you'll win it all.

Wow, that is an interesting stat.

I have to agree with these posts. Just because you have a great pass offense doesn't mean you'll win it all.

The Steelers sure have proved that defense wins championships! :yep:

• Upvote 1

That's because the passing leader is always the product of a bad defense and nonexistent running game.

That's because the passing leader is always the product of a bad defense and nonexistent running game.

Um, no. The Saints had the 6th best rushing attack this year.

Doesn't really matter when you're a team that has the 24th ranked overall defense, and 30th ranked pass defense in a pass happy league. If you're teams off at all on offense against a top-tier overall defense like the 49ers, you're going to lose. Just proves that defense still wins games...

Just proves that defense still wins games...

I think it proves that turnovers will lose games, especially in the playoffs. Even with 5 turnovers, New Orleans still put up 32 points on San Francisco's defense.

Defenses win championships. :yep:

That's one of the most annoying myths in football.

Balanced teams win championships, son.

Whoever wins the NFC CG is most likely going to win the SB. 49ers and Giants are much more balanced than the Pats and Ravens.

• Upvote 1

... relized i was to drunk aafter reading that.

Edited by BC

Brees ended up as the leader in passing yards for the season.

Streak continues. :devious: