Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phailadelphia

3Arkansas vs 1LSU

Guest Phailadelphia

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/11/sec_national_title_shot_at_sta.html

SEC, national title shot at stake for winner of LSU-Arkansas game

Today at 1:30 p.m. in Baton Rouge, No. 1 LSU and No. 3 Arkansas will play for a 175-pound trophy made of 24-karat gold.

But in this year's Battle for the Golden Boot, the stakes are even heavier.

Arkansas will play for the memory of a fallen teammate, tight end Garrett Uekman, who died Sunday of an apparently undiagnosed heart condition. Razorbacks coach Bobby Petrino shut down all media availability to players and coaches this week as the team deals with the tragedy while preparing for the game.

"We have a game scheduled this weekend. At the Uekmans' request, we will play that game," Petrino said at a candlelight service for Uekman on Monday, as reported by the Arkansas News. "To the outside world, we will take the field without No. 88. They could not be more wrong. Garrett will be there planted firmly in the heart and soul of every Razorback that takes the field, sits in the stands, or watches on TV."

Then there's also the SEC West title, which could hinge on the outcome of today's game. If 11-0 LSU wins, they Tigers will wrap up a trip to Atlanta next weekend for the SEC championship game against Georgia. If 10-1 Arkansas wins and No. 2 Alabama beats rival Auburn on Saturday, there will be a three-way tie for the division title -- a tie that will be broken by the BCS standings.

The SEC tie-breaker states that in a three-way tie, if the top two teams in the BCS standings are within five spots of each other, the third team is eliminated and whichever team won the head-to-head matchup between the remaining two is declared the champion.

LSU, Alabama and Arkansas currently hold the top three spots in the BCS standings, in that order.

The game pits an LSU defense ranked second nationally (247.9 yards per game allowed) against an Arkansas offense that leads the SEC with 463.3 yards per game. Razorback quarterback Tyler Wilson has thrown for a conference-best 3,215 yards and 21 touchdowns, with top targets Jarius Wright (61-1,002-10) and Joe Adams (35-595-3) both among the top four in the SEC in receiving.

"I think Tyler Wilson is really way beyond his years in terms of understanding what he's looking at, getting the ball out of his hand and making plays," Miles said. "I think (former Arkansas QB Ryan) Mallett may well have one of the stronger arms we've seen, but I think Tyler Wilson makes every pass."

LSU, meanwhile, leads the nation in turnover margin, having forced 24 takeaways while suffering only six turnovers on offense.

LSU's defense has, however, been gouged by a passing offense this year.

West Virginia's Geno Smith threw for 463 yards and two touchdowns as the Mountaineers gained 533 yards in a 47-21 loss.

"There are some similarities (with Arkansas)," Miles said of the Mountaineers. "I think that we saw some of the West Virginia personnel in a different light than possibly they were. We felt like they were more talented than we expected and we probably would have changed some of the calls, some of the matchups we had that day.

"I think there's certainly a difference in the style of the way they move the football. I don't know that there's a lot of changes that we went through in the West Virginia game anyway and for us to say that we learned something from that game that we'll take into this game, I don't think that's fair."

LSU is still playing two quarterbacks, though Jordan Jefferson has gotten more snaps than Jarrett Lee since the Tigers' overtime win over Alabama. LSU's running game, led by Spencer Ware and Michael Ford, is second in the SEC in rushing at 209.5 yards per game while Arkansas is allowing 164 yards per game on the ground. Miles said the Razorbacks' defense has improved through the course of the season.

"After an 11-game schedule, I think those guys are playing a little more responsible, a little more technically competent," he said of the Hogs. "I just think they're a more capable defense."

Both teams also feature weapons on special teams, as Adams is third in the country in punt returns and LSU's punt team, led by punter Brad Wing, has allowed only 6 return yards all season.

Miles said he's optimistic safety Eric Reid will be able to return from quadriceps injury suffered last week against Ole Miss, but if he can't go Craig Loston is ready to go after missing the Ole Miss game with a wrist injury.

Game starts in 1 hour!! GO HOGS! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOOOOOOOOOIEEEEEEEEE!!!