NaTaS

Shahid Kahn buys Jaguars

via National Football Post

Shahid Khan, who reached an agreement to purchase the Jacksonville Jaguars on Tuesday, released the following statement about the impending transaction.

“I am honored to have recently signed an agreement with Wayne Weaver and his partners to purchase the Jacksonville Jaguars. I have known Wayne for some time and have long admired his spirit, which nearly 20 years ago – against all odds – helped make the Jaguars and the National Football League a reality for Jacksonville and North Florida,” Khan’s statement said. “Wayne’s legacy will be lasting, and I will always be grateful for Wayne’s trust and confidence in my commitment to the Jaguars, the NFL and the people of the Jacksonville comunity.

“Owning a team in the National Football League has long been my personal and professional goal. Becoming the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars would be a dream come true for me and my family but, above all, would be a privilege. To that end, I would like to thank Commissioner Roger Goodell and members of his team for their counsel and guidance throughout my efforts over the past several years.”

The biggest question, of course, is the future of the Jaguars and whether that future will be in Jacksonville or somewhere else (Los Angeles). In his statement, Khan somewhat broaches the subject, but not directly, voicing his commitment to the team and the Jacksonville fans and community.

“I am now looking forward to the review process in accordance with league policy. If the proposed transaction is approved in the weeks ahead, I will responsibly and enthusiastically serve the NFL, the Jacksonville Jaguars and their great fans, and I will be fully committed to delivering Jacksonville its first Super Bowl championship. This is a franchise with tons of potential, playing in a community that is passionate about football and loves to win. I can’t think of a better place to be,” he said in the statement.

In his 1 p.m. press conference regarding the sale and the firing of Coach Jack Del Rio, Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver admitted that there is nothing in writing that would prevent Khan from moving the franchise, but he said he had the “trust” of Khan that the team would remain in Jacksonville.

Weaver also released a statement through Khan as well, which reads as follows: “Shahid Khan is a great American success story and he will be an outstanding owner for this franchise and for this community. I am excited for the team and for our great fans because Shahid will bring passion and commitment to the job. He is committed to restoring a winning tradition here in Jacksonville.”

Stay tuned. This story is only going to get bigger regarding speculation of what Khan will do as owner, both in rebuilding the Jaguars on the field and how committed he is to the city of Jacksonville.

The moustache alone makes him all right in my book.

11-29-2011-khan.jpg

The moustache alone makes him all right in my book.

And what if he changes the name of the team and moves them to Los Angeles?

He has said he will keep them in Jacksonville, although I think that is a mistake.

This is a great day for Jaguars fans... Jack is out, new ownership.... Jacksonville fans everywhere have new found hope looking into the future.

And what if he changes the name of the team and moves them to Los Angeles?

If he doesn't feel in can suceed in Jacksonville, then so be it. It is a business after all. Though I really don't think Weaver would've sold it to him if there was the likely chance that he would relocate it.

Kahn has been Approved.

Shahid Khan's bid to buy the Jacksonville Jaguars was up for approval from NFL owners on Wednesday in Dallas and he had no problem joining the club.

The league's owners unanimously approved the transfer of ownership from Wayne Weaver to Khan, giving the Jaguars a new owner and the NFL their first Pakistani-born (and best moustachioed) owner of any club. Khan had previously tried to buy the St. Louis Rams before reaching an agreement to buy the Jags last month.

Source: PFT

:beerchug2:

btw, they ain't moving...

Yet.

• Downvote 1

Maybe when the lease runs out... or if someone buys it off Khan.

Or when you still suck like you always have.

29,000 + posts... enough said.

How does that relate to selling tickets in Jacksonville?! lol

Your drafting is poor, yet your GM is safe... for now? You are damaging what everyone thought was your franchise QB. And you are in a market where no one actually cares about you. We have had this discussion on Florida sports teams before... Florida is the epic retirement destination. People from all around the country and the world want to live in Florida... Which means there is little to no loyalty to the local sports franchises. Hence.... what appears to be a bunch of "weak" fanbases.

It just won't work... And it isn't just Jacksonville. I admire Kahn for trying, I think he owes it to the city of Jacksonville and to the fans that he is inheriting. But I believe it's only a matter of time until he realizes that it just won't last.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How does that relate to selling tickets in Jacksonville?! lol

Because DUH if you post a lot clearly your arguments are invalid. :sarcasm:

Maybe when the lease runs out... or if someone buys it off Khan.

Or when the black tarp gets more exposure?