Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

2011-2012 NBA Rumors Thread

Now that the lockout is apparently over, we can start talking actual basketball rumors that don't consist of [insert star player here] rumored to be playing overseas....:p

The Top 20 NBA Free Agents of 2011 per SI.com.

Paul's first choice is New York

Per Rotoworld.com:

Warriors, Wolves reportedly interested in Roy

Could 76ers lose RFA Thaddeus Young?

Jazz ready to trade Millsap and/or Jefferson?

Report: Nene unlikely to return to Denver

It's interesting to see what players are going to be cut under this year's one time exception. You can count on guys like Ron Artest and Rashard Lewis being free agents soon.

Guest Phailadelphia

The rumor mill right now is mind boggling. So many "X player is going here!!" scenarios in situations where said team doesn't have a single asset worth offering to the team of player "X" (case in point: CP3 to NYK).

As much as I would hate to see it, I think CP3 and Dwight are both going to LAL. They're the only team that has the assets necessary to get both players (Bynum, Pau, Odom) and can obviously afford them if Buss is willing to pay luxury taxes out the ass. And if not, they still need to find a young superstar to play alongside Kobe, make his fall from the upper tier more graceful because the dude is bound to hit a decline any day now.

Delambert will probably go to Miami.

Nene will probably go somewhere like the Nets.

Dwight and CP3 both expressed interest in the Clippers, who are willing to do anything outside of trading Blake Griffin to get one or both of them.

I hope Dallas can't afford to bring Tyson Chandler back. He and he alone is standing in the way of an OKC Finals appearance (imo).

It's interesting to see what players are going to be cut under this year's one time exception. You can count on guys like Ron Artest and Rashard Lewis being free agents soon.

I don't see either of those guys getting the amnesty clause on them. The Lakers are likely to use it on Luke Walton since he's overpaid and doesn't contribute. The Wizards will probably not use it on Rashard Lewis either, under the new CBA teams must spend at least 80% of the salary cap, the Wizards with Rashard are at 45 million or so. By releasing his 20+ million dollar contract off the cap, their salary drops to 24 or 25 million. Meaning they would have to spend 20-25 million dollars to get to that point while paying Lewis 20 million dollars to play somewhere else. Probably will not happen. Not right away at least, I see the Wizards keeping Lewis for this season and then using it on him next year.

You won't see as many amnesty cuts as people may think. Brandon Roy will likely get it, Gilbert Arenas is probable but the rest will just be overpaid role players IMO. I think we'll see like 5-7 amnesty cuts at most.

Dwight and CP3 both expressed interest in the Clippers, who are willing to do anything outside of trading Blake Griffin to get one or both of them.

I haven't read anything about Dwight expressing interest in the Clippers, or anyone for that matter. Just rumors that the Clippers would trade anything minus Blake to get him. Which wouldn't be worth it. They would be totally gutted if that actually happened. A Dwight/Blake frontcourt sounds nice, but lanes would be clogged and they would have absolutely nothing else on the team since guys like Eric Gordon and Aminu would be shipped to Orlando.

Personally, I don't see the Magic trading Dwight. They are likely going to go into salary dump mode for an attempt to have cap space next year. But that is just what I see happening.

Edited by Milla4Prez63

Guest Phailadelphia

Rashard is among the most overpaid players in the NBA. There's no way he doesn't get amensty'd.

Rashard is among the most overpaid players in the NBA. There's no way he doesn't get amensty'd.

Did you not read what I said? lol He'll probably end up an amnesty cut in a year or so. But it makes no sense for the Wizards to do it now. With him cut, their salary is down near the 25 million dollar range. They'd have to spend 20-25 million in a week or two while paying Lewis to go play for someone else. Word is they like his veteran leadership and he's been pretty tight with Wall, I think he will be a Wizard this season.

Guest Phailadelphia

I don't think the Wizards front office is paying him $20 million this year to be a good leader.

I don't think the Wizards front office is paying him $20 million this year to be a good leader.

Then why would they pay him $20 million this year to go play for the Magic, Lakers, Heat, etc.?

ROFL, Besiktas retires Deron Williams' jersey despite him only playing there for a few weeks. :rofl:

What the..

Did he completely own that league, or something?

Part of what you said is incorrect. Ron Artest is now "Metta World Peace"!

:lol::lol: What a fuckin moron Artest (World Peace) is! :facepalm:

What the..

Did he completely own that league, or something?

Nope...Besiktas isn't even the best in Turkey...They're even not playing Euroleague(the best 32 teams in Europe)...So I don't understand why the fuck they retired his jersey...

Per Rotoworld:

Report: Celtics looking to deal Rondo for CP3

League insider Sam Amick reported Tuesday that the Celtics are looking to trade Rajon Rondo for Chris Paul. Amick says that rather than taking back Rondo, the Hornets are looking for a third team with younger pieces than Rondo to get involved. There is also the issue of whether or not the NBA wants to let Paul walk, since they own the Hornets right now and his exit would lower the franchise's value. For fantasy owners, Paul's knee is a very real risk, though problems with it are more likely to start next season than this year.

Source: SI.com

Edited by BucD

Per ESPN

The New Jersey Nets are prepared to offer a trade package featuring Brook Lopez and two future first-round picks to acquire Dwight Howard before the Orlando Magic center becomes a free agent in July 2012, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com this week that, to sweeten the proposal, New Jersey would likewise offer to take back the contract of Magic forward Hedo Turkoglu, who has three seasons left on his contract worth just under $35 million. Absorbing Turkoglu's remaining salary would become financially feasible for the Nets after the expected release of swingman Travis Outlaw through the amnesty clause that will be included in the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement and by including another smaller contract or two in the deal.

Although teams won't be cleared to start making official roster moves until Dec. 9 at the earliest following the 149-day lockout, sources say team executives have been discussing potential trades for some time in anticipation of a condensed and hurried free agency period before the season's scheduled Dec. 25 start.

No trade deadline for the 2011-12 season has been set in stone yet by the league office, but many team executives believe it will fall in March. Once the league officially re-opens for business, Howard's future in Orlando is sure to be one of the season's dominant story lines, along with Chris Paul's future in New Orleans and the Nets' attempts to secure a long-term commitment from star guard Deron Williams.

It's been an open secret around the league that the Nets' dream scenario is pairing Howard with Williams, after they followed up their failed pursuit of Carmelo Anthony last season by trading for Williams just before the February trade deadline. It remains to be seen whether Howard will regard the Nets as a prime destination on par with the New York Knicks, even after they move out of New Jersey, but sources say that Russian owner Mikhail Prokhorov has long believed that teaming them up would convince both Team USA stars to commit their long-term future to the Brooklyn-bound Nets.

Most rival teams, however, doubt that the Magic can be convinced to start seriously considering trade scenarios for Howard this early. Orlando has thus far resisted outside interest in hopes of convincing the NBA's reigning Defensive Player of the Year to stay in Central Florida. Two team executives monitoring the situation told ESPN.com on Tuesday night that they expect Orlando to take a patient approach with what could be Howard's last year in town.

The Los Angeles Lakers are also expected to eventually lodge their own trade bid for Howard -- featuring some combination of Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom -- but the Nets appear poised to furnish Orlando with a young replacement for Howard in Lopez, two higher draft picks than the Lakers could presumably offer and the ability to shed Turkoglu's expensive deal, which will enable Orlando to take another big rebuilding step.

It should be noted, though, that making such an offer -- even if Orlando ultimately proves amenable -- comes with its own risks for the Nets. The new tentative labor agreement struck last weekend by NBA owners and players has established new restrictions on extend-and-trade deals that would prevent Howard from receiving more than a one-year extension to his current contract as part of any trade. That's a sharp contrast from the four-year extension worth nearly $86 million that Anthony received as part of his trade from Denver to New York in February.

In the event of a trade to any team, Howard would have the choice of a deal that includes a contract extension that could put him back on the free-agent market in the summer of 2014 or a trade without an extension that would preserve his right to opt out of the 2012-13 season on his current deal and become a free agent on July 1, 2012.

The Nets, then, would be putting themselves in danger of surrendering three more prime assets for Howard, after everything they gave up to get Williams, with both stars capable of opting out after the 2011-12 season and becoming unrestricted free agents.

Despite the Nets' obvious interest, the Lakers and Knicks continue to be widely presumed to be Howard's preferred destinations. The Los Angeles Clippers are also regarded as a legit contender Howard, despite the franchise's history under owner Donald Sterling, because they'll have cap space and could pair him with rising star Blake Griffin.

In a recent interview with Esquire magazine, Howard said: "There's more you can do in a bigger place. I'm stuck in a tough position because I feel like right now, where I'm at, I've done so much. And I just don't know what else I can do."

Sources say that the Nets, furthermore, will go ahead with their plans to be very active in free agency starting Wednesday at 9 a.m., when teams and agents are allowed to start discussions about player signings. Howard remains Prokhorov's No. 1 target, but New Jersey is expected to lodge bids for two of the top big men available in free agency -- Denver's Nene and Dallas' Tyson Chandler -- knowing that Howard will be hard to acquire even with its solid trade assets and that Williams is unlikely to stay with the Nets unless the roster is upgraded at center and small forward.

Edited by Bangy

Wow. Danny Ainge, after putting together a championship caliber team, is now tearing the team apart. First mistake was shipping Perkins. Now your trying to get rid of Rondo? WTF man.

lawl at the Nets' offer for Dwight. Even if the Magic looked to trade him, they wouldn't even think about that deal.

As for Rondo for CP3. Horrible deal for the Hornets, Rondo is not a guy to build around. Plus CP3 won't sign an extension with the Celtics according to reports.

I'll take Rondo over CP3. Sure CP3 is better offensively but Rondo has better D, is younger and healthier than CP3. Rondo is the key to that team right now. It was evident when he sprained his elbow last year in the playoffs.

I would take CP3 over Rondo for defense without thinking about it. But the health part is key, CP3's knees have some issues.

Guest Phailadelphia

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aos4...on_rondo_112911

Most teams in the league are engaging New Orleans about Paul, whose intentions are to get to the New York Knicks as a free agent in the summer of 2012. Paul does have some history in Oklahoma City, having played there with the Hornets in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, but the Thunder have resisted dialogue on a Paul-for-Russell Westbrook(notes) deal, sources said.

Wow. Danny Ainge, after putting together a championship caliber team, is now tearing the team apart. First mistake was shipping Perkins. Now your trying to get rid of Rondo? WTF man.

Danny Ainge is a dumbass ...It looks like he's trying to destroy Celtics intentionally...I would always take Rondo over CP just because he's younger, healthier and faster...He isn't the best shooter but he's a smart playmaker...

Per Rotoworld.com:

Orlando GM Otis Smith wouldn't rule out the possibility of trading Dwight Howard when asked about the topic Wednesday afternoon.

"I think you have to look at everything," Smith said, adding that "I don’t think you can take anything out of consideration." This doesn't shed a lot of light on the situation, but it is at least a little bit telling that Smith didn't outright refute Howard's availability. A Tuesday report from ESPN's Marc Stein indicated that the Nets were planning to offer Brook Lopez and two future first-round picks for Howard. Nov 30 - 3:12 PM

Source: Orlando Sentinel

Guest Phailadelphia

Tyson Chandler doesn't expect to return to the Mavs. Too many whispers out there that teams are willing to give him a max deal (Nets, Rockets, etc).

NO called OKC to discuss a CP3 for Westbrook deal. OKC not interested.

Edited by Phailadelphia

*ahem*

SpearsNBAYahoo Wizards won't be using amnesty clause on F Rashard Lewis, his agent Tony Dutt told Y! Sports. Lewis making $21.1 mil 11-12, $22.6 mill 12-13

Rejoice, Bobcats fans! Corey Maggette has been granted a license to shoot as many times as his heart desires. Oy. From the Charlotte Observer: “That was the word Wednesday from Bobcats coach Paul Silas, in his first public comments since the NBA and the players worked out a tentative labor deal. Silas said Maggette, a 12-season veteran, will be essential to filling the scoring gap left by the departures of Stephen Jackson and Gerald Wallace. ‘Corey has got to come through. He can be a 20-point scorer. He’s going to be the focal point of our offense,’ Silas described. ‘We’re going to rely on him to get it done for us, and he can.’ Maggette, a former Duke star, came to Charlotte in a draft-night trade involving the Milwaukee Bucks and Sacramento Kings. That deal acquired the lottery pick that became Bismack Biyombo. To make that transaction, the Bobcats had to give up Jackson (an 18.5 ppg. scorer) and reserve point guard Shaun Livingston. The Bobcats also had to accept the remaining $20 million-plus on Maggette’s contract. Maggette averaged 12 points last season for the Bucks, his lowest scoring output in 10 seasons. He fell out of Milwaukee’s rotation the last third of the season and was often asked to play out of position at power forward. That’s far removed from Maggette’s prime as a Los Angeles Clipper, when averaged 20 or more points in three seasons. Immediately following the late-June trade, Silas told Maggette he’d be penciled in as the Bobcats’ starting small forward. It’s clear Silas has set out to restore Maggette’s confidence.”

Source: SLAMOnlinel.com

Nobody posted it, so I'll post here.

NBA's opening day Christmas lineup:

Boston Celtics at New York Knicks, 12:00 p.m. ET on TNT

Miami Heat at Dallas Mavericks, 2:30 p.m. ET on ABC

Chicago Bulls at Los Angeles Lakers, 5:00 p.m. ET on ABC

Orlando Magic at Oklahoma City Thunder, 8:00 p.m. ET on ESPN

Los Angeles Clippers at Golden State Warriors, 10:30 p.m. ET on ESPN

Despite the lockout, this may turn out to be good for the NBA. Opening the season on Christmas with some big time matchups should be BIG ratings for the NBA.