Sign in to follow this  
Tridentdawgpound

LSU-Alabama set for rematch in National Title Game

I think it's the right matchup. The two best teams in the country are playing in the NCG. I loved the defensive struggle the last game had. I expect an even more fierce matchup this go around.

LSU and Alabama are the best two teams in the country, but I do not think Alabama deserves a title shot. They already blew their shot to LSU and didn't even get into the SEC Championship game. Yes, I know that's because LSU did, but 'Bama blew their shot. I'm not very confident in Oklahoma State but they deserve the chance to prove themselves. The BCS system is broken. :facepalm:

I'll put it this way: this game should have been the SEC Championship game

• Upvote 1

LSU and Alabama are the best two teams in the country, but I do not think Alabama deserves a title shot. They already blew their shot to LSU and didn't even get into the SEC Championship game. Yes, I know that's because LSU did, but 'Bama blew their shot. I'm not very confident in Oklahoma State but they deserve the chance to prove themselves. The BCS system is broken. :facepalm:

OK State DID have a shot... they could EASILY been in Alabama's position right now. The only obstacle in their way was an unranked opponent with a redshirt freshman at QB.

The massive outcry over Okie State not being in the title game is fucking hilarious. Say whatever you want about Okie State playing 6 ranked teams and Bama only playing 3 ranked teams, but fact of the matter is that Bama's one loss was handed to them by the #1 team in the nation, while Okie State lost to fucking Iowa State. The Cowboys shot themselves in the dick, plain and simple. Deal with it.

Anyways, prepare your anus, Nick.

batonrougehangover.gif

Edited by Zach Mettenberger

The team that didn't win their division, much less their conference, could beat that champion of their conference, split the season series with them, and somehow that gives them the title of best team in the nation. Lol.

So much for the BCS's mantra: Every Game Counts. That first game is now meaningless. Whoever had won that game, we would have the exact same matchup now.

I'm so glad that all you people have already played the matchup on paper and decided that OK State wouldn't have a chance. It's too bad they're not even going to be given one when Bama already had their shot on their own home turf, no less, and couldn't pull it off.

We know LSU is a better team than Bama, they already showed that. Why does another team not get a shot?

• Upvote 1

So much for the BCS's mantra: Every Game Counts. That first game is now meaningless. Whoever had won that game, we would have the exact same matchup now.

Bingo.

I mean, if Alabama wins, is there a chance of a split national championship? That's fucking weaksauce.

The fact that debates like this pop up every year only underscore the main point: college football needs a playoff system that gives more than two teams a chance to play for the national championship.

The team that didn't win their division, much less their conference, could beat that champion of their conference, split the season series with them, and somehow that gives them the title of best team in the nation. Lol.

I'm so glad that all you people have already played the matchup on paper and decided that OK State wouldn't have a chance. It's too bad they're not even going to be given one when Bama already had their shot on their own home turf, no less, and couldn't pull it off.

We know LSU is a better team than Bama, they already showed that. Why does another team not get a shot?

Because LSU is vastly superior to any and every team you could put in Alabama's place. The two best teams in the country are going to be playing for the National Championship just like it should be... Allowing a worse team to face LSU simply to "give them a shot" is just flat out lame. LSU would blow OK State out by at least 17 points...

We all know the BCS is fucked up.. but this is one time that they have it right and every one is still freaking out. If this college season was put into a bracket for a playoff... Who do you think winds up in the final game... 98% chance of Bama / LSU.

It's the way it's supposed to be.

• Upvote 1

Because LSU is vastly superior to any and every team you could put in Alabama's place. The two best teams in the country are going to be playing for the National Championship just like it should be... Allowing a worse team to face LSU simply to "give them a shot" is just flat out lame. LSU would blow OK State out by at least 17 points...

We all know the BCS is fucked up.. but this is one time that they have it right and every one is still freaking out. If this college season was put into a bracket for a playoff... Who do you think winds up in the final game... 98% chance of Bama / LSU.

I think it's more like an 8 in 10 chance. The point is, it completely puts to shame their mantra- every game counts. No, every game doesn't count. If Bama beats LSU the first game, they still have this same matchup.

The problem isn't that these two aren't the best teams in the country. The problem is that LSU has already beaten Bama. They shouldn't have to beat them twice. Yes OK State would be a huge underdog against either one, so what?

Why does Bama get the National Title if they beat LSU the second time, especially when they already lost to them IN Alabama? They should have to beat LSU twice.

If LSU wins, it's all good, and it probably ends the same way. If Bama wins, we have a clusterfuck.

And why do the coaches and fans, (fans being idiots by nature, and coaches admitting they don't really follow many other teams, and grading teams that they have played higher so as to look better- look at Mathias' article), outweigh the computers, which gave Ok State the #2 seed and Bama the #3 seed? Why is this horribly broken system still being used so that a group like the system that votes people into the pro bowl decides the frikkin national championship? (The computers are no better, by the way, the entire thing is broken. It's just name recognition that propelled Bama into the NCG over OK State.)

OK State has a harder schedule than Bama. 6 ranked teams, I believe, they beat to go 6-0, while Bama has faced *three teams with a winning record.*

You can say they are underdogs, but they deserve the shot to prove you and everyone else wrong. Bama had their shot, and we saw what happened: they lost. They shouldn't get another crack at LSU.

This is not even pointing out the fact that Bama got to sit on their couches and watch the SEC Championship, while LSU had to go out there and play another football game. If Bama wins, a 12-1 team will be champions over a 13-1 team, who *has already beat them once*, and so the series is now split 1-1. Why does Bama deserve the title more than LSU in this scenario?

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 2

I think it's more like an 8 in 10 chance. The point is, it completely puts to shame their mantra- every game counts. No, every game doesn't count. If Bama beats LSU the first game, they still have this same matchup.

The problem isn't that these two aren't the best teams in the country. The problem is that LSU has already beaten Bama. They shouldn't have to beat them twice. Yes OK State would be a huge underdog against either one, so what?

Why does Bama get the National Title if they beat LSU the second time, especially when they already lost to them IN Alabama? They should have to beat LSU twice.

If LSU wins, it's all good, and it probably ends the same way. If Bama wins, we have a clusterfuck.

And why do the coaches and fans, (fans being idiots by nature, and coaches admitting they don't really follow many other teams, and grading teams that they have played higher so as to look better- look at Mathias' article), outweigh the computers, which gave Ok State the #2 seed and Bama the #3 seed? Why is this horribly broken system still being used so that a group like the system that votes people into the pro bowl decides the frikkin national championship? (The computers are no better, by the way, the entire thing is broken. It's just name recognition that propelled Bama into the NCG over OK State.)

OK State has a harder schedule than Bama. 6 ranked teams, I believe, they beat to go 6-0, while Bama has faced *three teams with a winning record.*

You can say they are underdogs, but they deserve the shot to prove you and everyone else wrong. Bama had their shot, and we saw what happened: they lost. They shouldn't get another crack at LSU.

This is not even pointing out the fact that Bama got to sit on their couches and watch the SEC Championship, while LSU had to go out there and play another football game. If Bama wins, a 12-1 team will be champions over a 13-1 team, who *has already beat them once*, and so the series is now split 1-1. Why does Bama deserve the title more than LSU in this scenario?

Only if the games that came afterwards end the same way... Which we can't say for certain because we have no idea how LSU would have responded to a loss.

I just can't fathom giving a vastly inferior team a chance to win the national title.

Why not just not play a game and give it to LSU by default.

Edited by Favre4Ever

You can't discount that Oklahoma State has a significantly better quarterback than either LSU or Alabama. Brandon Weeden alone would keep the Cowboys in a game with either of these opponents, and the idea that LSU would blow them out is asinine. The fact of the matter is, if LSU loses the national title game, they should be able to demand a rematch because Alabama's first loss apparently doesn't count. There should be a third game if the Tide win this next one. It'd only be fair.

• Upvote 1

You can't discount that Oklahoma State has a significantly better quarterback than either LSU or Alabama. Brandon Weeden alone would keep the Cowboys in a game with either of these opponents, and the idea that LSU would blow them out is asinine. The fact of the matter is, if LSU loses the national title game, they should be able to demand a rematch because Alabama's first loss apparently doesn't count. There should be a third game if the Tide win this next one. It'd only be fair.

Let's pretend... for a few seconds... that OK State can put up a huge number of points on either of these teams...

Do you know how many points they would allow in return? More.

OK State is not that good. They are overrated, and are lucky to be #3 in the nation.

Let's pretend... for a few seconds... that OK State can put up a huge number of points on either of these teams...

Do you know how many points they would allow in return? More.

OK State is not that good. They are overrated, and are lucky to be #3 in the nation.

Glad you've decided that on paper and OK State doesn't have to go to all the trouble of playing a game to actually find out.

You're acting like there has never been a big upset in the history of college football.

The point is not how good OK State is, that doesn't matter. If you think Stanford is better, then put them in the NCG. The point is, if you let Bama play, and Bama wins, there's a split national championship, despite how the BCS people will try to spin it.

Does LSU win handily if Stanford or OK State plays against them? Probably. Is that an argument against setting up that matchup so we can find out? No, not when Alabama has already lost.

If this college season was put into a bracket for a playoff... Who do you think winds up in the final game... 98% chance of Bama / LSU.

and nobody would have complained because everyone would have had their fair shot, but under the current system the BCS shut everyone out

• Upvote 1

The massive outcry over Okie State not being in the title game is fucking hilarious. Say whatever you want about Okie State playing 6 ranked teams and Bama only playing 3 ranked teams, but fact of the matter is that Bama's one loss was handed to them by the #1 team in the nation, while Okie State lost to fucking Iowa State. The Cowboys shot themselves in the dick, plain and simple. Deal with it.

So good teams never lose to bad ones? I guess there is no way the Saints should be considered #2 overall in the NFL because they lost to the Rams. We can strike out the Ravens while we're at it, since they lost to Jacksonville.

So OK State blew a game. They had a harder overall schedule, by far, and more importantly, they *haven't already been beat by LSU.* If Bama wins, why does a 12-1 team who didn't even win their own division, much less their own conference, get the national title over a 13-1 team who did win their conference and split the season series with said 12-1 team.

Wow. Some of the arguments for Okie State are fucking weak here. Let me see here. Okie State lost to the Iowa State Cyclones? Bama lost to the #1 team in the nation by 3 points and there's some massive outcry that Okie State should be in because they only lost to the Cyclones? To those of you saying that Bama had their shot at LSU, just keep in mind Okie State had their 'shot' at the Cyclones and failed to deliver. I'm sorry but a 64th ranked defense tells me that you are not in the top 2 teams in the country. Fact is Bama would beat State, and LSU would beat State...why? Because they're the two best fucking teams in the damn nation. The title game isn't about those 'deserving' a shot. Because honestly, Okie State doesn't even technically deserve a shot...why should someone be give a chance when they can't even beat an unranked team. Bitch and moan more Okie State dick lovers.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What this debate comes down to is whether or not you believe the best two teams should always play for the NCG--even if it's a rematch--or if the #2 team should not get a second chance to beat the #1 team. Considering the BCS' motto is "Every Game Counts," I thought they would favor the latter. Guess not.

Wow. Some of the arguments for Okie State are fucking weak here. Let me see here. Okie State lost to the Iowa State Cyclones? Bama lost to the #1 team in the nation by 3 points and there's some massive outcry that Okie State should be in because they only lost to the Cyclones? To those of you saying that Bama had their shot at LSU, just keep in mind Okie State had their 'shot' at the Cyclones and failed to deliver. I'm sorry but a 64th ranked defense tells me that you are not in the top 2 teams in the country. Fact is Bama would beat State, and LSU would beat State...why? Because they're the two best fucking teams in the damn nation. The title game isn't about those 'deserving' a shot. Because honestly, Okie State doesn't even technically deserve a shot...why should someone be give a chance when they can't even beat an unranked team. Bitch and moan more Okie State dick lovers.

You're an idiot and a homer.

I don't care who plays LSU, the POINT is it should NOT be Alabama.