AL_Royalty

2012 Coaching Carousel

@JasonLaCanfora (Jason La Canfora):

Figuring Jeff Fisher hired in STL by Sun/Mon, and Mike Sherman in TB not long after. Romeo promoted in KC, Mularkey or Chudzinski in JAX

Edited by BucD

anyone else think Fisher might see shades of McNair and George in Freeman and Blount? the irony of course being that Fisher cut Blount right before the season last year

Eddie George was a workhorse, a class act, and a damn good player, and McNair was one the best QBs of his generation. At the least he was the most underrated QB of his generation, but I still say one of the best. He was everything McNabb wished he could be.

So, to answer you're question with another question, ARE YOU OUT YO RABBIT ASS MIND????

Hope that helps. :wink:

@NFLSTROUD (Rick Stroud):

Bucs plan to meet with former Titans coach Jeff Fisher, but working with his schedule since he has several interviews lined up.

Titans Fisher, former Packers and Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman, ATL OC Mike Mularkey, Titans DC Jerry Gray all on Bucs candidate list

While Fisher and others may have bigger resumes, Bucs say it will truly be a level playing field for each head coaching candidate.

Edited by BucD

It sounds like it is between Fisher, Sherman and Mularkey. Fisher is a longshot IMO, so it will be between Sherman and Mularkey. I think the Glazers go with Sherman's experience, though I don't like it. Then again, they may like what Mularkey did with Matt Ryan and like that he knows this division.

I'm hoping to hear the Bucs have some interest in Chudzinski and Zimmer, but it doesn't appear they do.

I'm hoping to hear the Bucs have some interest in Chudzinski and Zimmer, but it doesn't appear they do.

That's because the Panthers have issued a shoot-on-sight order for any Bucs employee seen approaching Chudzinski.

"No, we're sorry, Chud, it seems no one wants to interview you for a head coaching job." *Blam* "Nope, no one at all."

Eddie George was a workhorse, a class act, and a damn good player, and McNair was one the best QBs of his generation. At the least he was the most underrated QB of his generation, but I still say one of the best. He was everything McNabb wished he could be.

So, to answer you're question with another question, ARE YOU OUT YO RABBIT ASS MIND????

Hope that helps. :wink:

I realize it's a stretch, which is why I just said 'shades', but they do have very similar playing styles, also keep in mind that McNair wasn't really a great QB until about his 5th season

Chud appears to be the Jags #1 target.

Of the guys on our list my #1 is Fisher and #2 is Mularkey.

Fisher I don't think is that much of a long shot. I think he's seriously interested. IMO it'll be between us and the Rams.

Mularkey - well...his time in HAWT-LANTA speaks for itself....he's also done a great job with Matt Ryan and has a lot of experience. All of which I think the Bucs really really like...they'll also be taking him away from a division rival...

@AdamSchefter (Adam Schefter):

Chiefs scheduled to interview Packers OC Joe Philbin tonight, according to GB source. Chiefs already have had "several interviews" for HC.

I hope we interview Philbin...

I hope we interview Philbin...

Noooo. Philbin stays.

I don't think Philbin is anything more than a puppet anyway. Mike McCarthy is the genius behind our offense, IMO. He certainly isn't a bad coach... Not sure if he is HCing worthy, though. I wouldn't mind if he got a shot somewhere else, and would definitely be rooting for him.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports the Rams have expressed interest in interviewing Miami Dolphins interim Head Coach Todd Bowles for their head-coaching vacancy, according to league sources.

Could be just because of the Rooney Rule.

Edited by GoodellFTL

Fisher has interviewed with the Dolphins, and Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports writes that, according to a source familiar with Fisher’s thinking, he “left South Florida on Tuesday with stone crabs in his stomach and a very positive impression of [owner Stephen] Ross and the Dolphins’ organization.”

The headline trumpets that the Dolphins have the “upper hand in Fisher sweepstakes,” which necessarily places more pressure on the other teams that may be interested.

I don't think Philbin is anything more than a puppet anyway. Mike McCarthy is the genius behind our offense, IMO. He certainly isn't a bad coach... Not sure if he is HCing worthy, though. I wouldn't mind if he got a shot somewhere else, and would definitely be rooting for him.

He certainly doesn't seem like a guy who could be the head coach. But you never know I think that Philbin might surprise some people. He's definitely a quiet coach kind of like McCarthy was coming into GB.

I'm suprised Philbin isn't getting as much HC love as he is, McCarthy is the likely man behind the Packers' offense, but Philbin plays a role in it and I'd rather gamble on him than some ofthe other assistants being brought up. He won't be a candidate for the Bucs though. We're only interested in coaches with HC experience at the NFL level.

He certainly doesn't seem like a guy who could be the head coach. But you never know I think that Philbin might surprise some people. He's definitely a quiet coach kind of like McCarthy was coming into GB.

Oh ya... I don't think he would be a terrible choice. I just hope people don't hire him and expect Top 3 NFL offense like he has produced in Green Bay.

He has a good history as an offensive line coach, which helps him out a lot, too, IMO.

EDIT: The Dolphins, too, will look at Philbin.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Oh ya... I don't think he would be a terrible choice. I just hope people don't hire him and expect Top 3 NFL offense like he has produced in Green Bay.

He has a good history as an offensive line coach, which helps him out a lot, too, IMO.

EDIT: The Dolphins, too, will look at Philbin.

Possibly losing Philbin doesn't really worry too much it's just that if he takes a job somewhere he'll probably take a few assistants with him as well. We'd have to do some restocking of our coaches. And who'd replace him? At least on offense, we don't have a successor that we can tell. Maybe Edgar? I just don't see any of our position coaches being ready to take over OC right away, we'd probably have to go hire somebody.

Edit- Since this is a coaches thread thought I'd mention some names from GB that are potentially leaving after this season.

Tom Clements (QB coach) - Head coach at Penn State

Joe Philbin (Off Coord) - Head coach for a few teams

Winston Moss (Asst HC/ILB Coach) - Name was thrown around last year, probably will again this year

Mike Trgovac (DL coach) - Name was thrown around last year for Def Coord and Head Coach. He was the Def Coord for Carolina when they went to the Bowl in 03.

Edited by badgers

Possibly losing Philbin doesn't really worry too much it's just that if he takes a job somewhere he'll probably take a few assistants with him as well. We'd have to do some restocking of our coaches. And who'd replace him? At least on offense, we don't have a successor that we can tell. Maybe Edgar? I just don't see any of our position coaches being ready to take over OC right away, we'd probably have to go hire somebody.

I think Edgar Bennett would be the popular choice if the Packers are looking to hire within. I am not sure he is 100% ready yet though...

Regardless... Like you, I wouldn't be all that devastated if Philbin got hired on somewhere else. I'd be very excited for him, but I don't think we will miss a step.

I am a lot more concerned about possibly losing Reggie McKenzie.

I think Edgar Bennett would be the popular choice if the Packers are looking to hire within. I am not sure he is 100% ready yet though...

Regardless... Like you, I wouldn't be all that devastated if Philbin got hired on somewhere else. I'd be very excited for him, but I don't think we will miss a step.

I am a lot more concerned about possibly losing Reggie McKenzie.

Eliot Wolf (Ron's kid) is also in the mix just not as much. His name has had a few quiet mentions with the Raiders organization as well.

I also love pretty much our entire Defensive staff.

Kevin Greene, Darren Perry, Joe Whitt, and Mike Trgovac. I don't want any of them to leave... Even if our defense is a little... Epic fail this year.

Per TampaBay.com(Bucs Beat, Rick Stroud):

JANUARY 04, 2012

NFL Network's Lombardi: 'Bucs need a tough guy'

Michael Lombardi of the NFL Network suggests the Bucs need to get tougher and offers three coaching candidates to make that happen:

"The Bucs need a tough guy, someone who can mold this team the right way. Ideally they should think about defensive-minded coaches like Mike Zimmer of the Bengals, Mike Pettine of the Jets or Chuck Pagano of the Ravens. The Bucs need to get tougher."

All three are defensive coordinators.

Meanwhile, the Miami Dolphins are prepared to make Jeff Fisher the best financial offer of any team, Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross "has the deep pockets necessary to pay what he must to hire Fisher," Salguero writes.

Fisher, the former Tennessee Titans coach believed to be atop the Bucs' wish list, also has drawn interest from the Bucs and St. Louis Rams. Fisher might be willing to take a paycut to work in either organization, Salguero says.

"Other teams may be able to more fully satisfy Fisher in offering him the kind of structure he is more comfortable with and that may tilt his decision away from Miami,'' Salguero writes.

Per RotoWorld:

The Chiefs reportedly interviewed ex-Titans coach Jeff Fisher for their head coaching vacancy last week.

According to long-time beat writer Bob Gretz, the talks went "nowhere" and Fisher has no interest in the job. Although the Chiefs are set to interview Packers OC Joe Philbin on Wednesday, the Kansas City Star believes GM Scott Pioli won't have the patience to wait for Green Bay's playoff run to end. Jan 4 - 12:37 PM

Source: Bob Gretz on Twitter

Per Adam Schefter, Bucs will interview Jerry Gray Thursday in Houston. He's from that area, apparently.

Interesting that they are going to him...

"Fuck you guys....you come to me if I'm just your Rooney-Rule man..."

I also love pretty much our entire Defensive staff.

Kevin Greene, Darren Perry, Joe Whitt, and Mike Trgovac. I don't want any of them to leave... Even if our defense is a little... Epic fail this year.

I get the idea it's because we're still a young defense and offensive coordinators everywhere are wanting to throw the whole kitchen sink at the defending champions to try their luck at beating us. And it is pressuring for our young guys like Williams, Shields, Raji, Matthews, Bishop, Burnett, Peprah...Having no pass rush adds to that too but I think offenses are just throwing everything they have at us to test us. So far we've held up, though. A good sign for our future.

Imagine this years offense plus last year's defense...woah.

Per RotoWorld:

Citing two sources, the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins "will not be outbid financially" for the services of head-coaching target Jeff Fisher.

The Herald cites both a source close to owner Stephen Ross, and an NFL source. Ross is reportedly "willing to best any offer" potentially coming from the Rams, Bucs, Colts, or any other organization. Said one source, "If Jeff wants the money, if that is more important to him, then the Dolphins have a good chance." Fisher has already been connected to just about every head-coaching vacancy in the league, appearing to leverage all clubs against each other. It's conceivable that he's done so in order to collect the biggest pay day possible.

Source: Miami Herald