BLUE

Update - Report: Rams plan to hire Jon Gruden as coach?

Per Rotoworld.com:

Appearing on NFL Network's Around The League Live Monday, Jason La Canfora said he's been told the Rams plan to "blow things up" after the season, firing head coach Steve Spagnuolo and OC Josh McDaniels.

Hardly a surprising report with the Rams sporting one of the league's worst defenses and a historically bad offense despite having the reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year at quarterback. Injuries have played a huge part in the debacle in St. Louis, but there's really no excuse for going from 7-9 to potentially 2-14. In three years at the helm, Spagnuolo has gone 10-36. Dec 19 - 3:34 PM

Edited by BLUE

I do love to see Josh McDaniels fail.

I do love to see Josh McDaniels fail.

You and me both.

Spags to Philly as DC please and thank you. :yep:

Yeah, I thought Spags would get the blame for it.

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Rams intend to hire Jon Gruden as their next head coach, sources tell the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee says that if GM A.J. Smith is fired, he'll replace Billy Devaney in the same capacity with the Rams. And Smith would bring his long-time friend Gruden to St. Louis with him. The Rams have Sam Bradford, possibly the top pick in the 2012 draft, and the most cap room of any team in 2013. It's also possible the Chargers will retain Smith, fire Norv Turner and attempt to lure Gruden to San Diego. Dec 27 - 8:18 AM

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

Gruden and A.J. Smith sounds like a good plan, but I always thought Gruden was the type of coach who liked to make his own personnel decisions. This should be interesting.

BUT WAIT

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Rams plan to "make a serious run" at ex-Titans coach Jeff Fisher.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that Jon Gruden would be hired as head coach, but only if Chargers GM A.J. Smith lands in St. Louis. Fisher, who is also tight with Smith, could be viewed as a fallback option to Gruden. Sources have told the Union-Trib that ESPN is "already preparing" for the departure of Gruden.

Source: NFL.com

I'd love to kick Shurmur's ass out of Cleveland and bring in Chucky. He's an Ohio guy and has a very good relationship with Holmgren.

ESPN analyst Jon Gruden insisted in a Saturday interview with the Tampa Tribune that he won't be returning to coaching in 2012.

"I love my job and I'll be back at ESPN with the guys,'' Gruden said. "I'm not going anywhere." Gruden's name was recently linked to the likely opening at head coach in St. Louis, but the former Bucs and Raiders honcho will apparently remain in the booth for at least more year. It's doubtful Gruden's denial will stop his name from being

connected to other openings, however.

Source: Tampa Tribune

I think Fisher is a more likely option. Gruden seems to be pretty dedicated to his current job.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that the Rams will fire GM Billy Devaney and head coach Steve Spagnuolo.

Official word should come on Monday. The move is perhaps the least surprising of the offseason, as a team that came within a game of winning the NFC West in 2010 melted down in hard-to-believe fashion, scoring only 15 offensive touchdowns while sporting the league's worst run defense. An almost biblical wave of injuries didn't help, but poor play-calling and a roster lacking depth following a number of unsuccessful drafts under Devaney made it impossible to hide the Rams' manifold problems. Spagnuolo will finish his three-season stint in St. Louis with a 10-38 record. With a franchise quarterback in place and cap room to spare the next two years, owner Stan Kroenke is in position to hire big-name replacements.

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

No matter who they hire, a change in leadership wouldn't be a bad idea. Spagnuolo hasn't been successful with them and it's probably time to try a new approach.

Bradford is nothing close to a franchise QB. If he was any good, the Rams would have been .500

Bradford is nothing close to a franchise QB. If he was any good, the Rams would have been .500

How many games did he play in? And of those games, how many of them was he hurt for? The simple truth is that this team had nothing to look forward to this season, having not addressed glaring needs at receiver. They peaked in Brandford's rookie year, considering the talent they had. They had no business even being in the playoff run last year. How did they expect to just hold down the fort and get better? I think firing the GM is a great idea, but maybe not so much to let Spags go, too.

How many games did he play in? And of those games, how many of them was he hurt for? The simple truth is that this team had nothing to look forward to this season, having not addressed glaring needs at receiver. They peaked in Brandford's rookie year, considering the talent they had. They had no business even being in the playoff run last year. How did they expect to just hold down the fort and get better? I think firing the GM is a great idea, but maybe not so much to let Spags go, too.

I agree. I thought all along Spags would get fired, but I don't think the fault is really his. They were hit with an absolutely ridiculous amount of injuries, for starters.

But I think they get a new coach, and if they can convince themselves that they can afford it, they might even draft RG3 second overall.

Josh McDaniels is just a joke. Everyone kinda knew what the Rams would be in for when they hired him. I'd also love to see Gruden coach again, though I liked him on MNF.

Edited by BC