Sign in to follow this  
Piggly Wiggly

Matt Barkley returning for senior year

USC quarterback Matt Barkley announced Thursday that he will return for a final college season.

Barkley made the announcement in front of a Christmas tree and flanked by six Heisman trophies during a packed news conference at USC’s Heritage Hall.

Barkley, a three-year starter and team captain, led USC to a 10-2 record this season and was projected as a top pick in the April draft. He finished sixth in balloting for the Heisman Trophy.

Barkley, 21, made his decision after consulting with coaches, former players, NFL personnel and agents and family and close friends.

"I am staying so I can finish what I started," Barkley said to the cheers of USC students in attendance.

Barkley established a Pac-12 record this season by passing for 39 touchdowns. He also set a school record for completion percentage and single-game USC records for touchdowns, completions, passing yardage and total offense.

Barkley was the last of four prominent USC juniors to announce his decision about their futures.

All-American left tackle Matt Kalil and defensive end Nick Perry are turning pro. All-American safety T.J. McDonald announced Wednesday that he would return for his senior season.

Barkley’s news conference marked the third time since 2005 that a Trojan quarterback held court in Heritage Hall to announce a decision about returning or turning pro.

In 2005, Matt Leinart said he would return to USC, drawing cheers in a packed lounge. In 2009, Mark Sanchez announced he would enter the NFL draft, creating an awkward scene with former coach Pete Carroll, who said publicly that he disagreed with the decision.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/12/usc-football-matt-barkley-lane-kiffin-nfl-draft-heisman-trophy.html

lol @ anybody who says ''HE SHOULD HAVE DECLARED THIS YEAR SINCE THERE'S ALWAYS A CHANCE HE COULD GET HURT!!!111''. Dude will be the favorite for the Heisman, and is primed to be the #1 overall pick in the 2013 Draft. Not to mention SC will be National Title contenders next season.

Smart decision on Barkley's part. He needs to get his education.

What an asshole. Now we're probably stuck with another year of the False McCoy. Great.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/12/usc-football-matt-barkley-lane-kiffin-nfl-draft-heisman-trophy.html

lol @ anybody who says ''HE SHOULD HAVE DECLARED THIS YEAR SINCE THERE'S ALWAYS A CHANCE HE COULD GET HURT!!!111''. Dude will be the favorite for the Heisman, and is primed to be the #1 overall pick in the 2013 Draft. Not to mention SC will be National Title contenders next season.

I believe this was a good decision for Matt. All upside for him.

Like I said in the real thread:

Who cares about money when you're already going to be making tens of millions? If you know you're going to be a first round pick now, why risk staying in school another year where you could get hurt, have a down year, et cetera, and ruin your first round status? Furthermore, entering the draft when you're younger makes it easier to sit and waste the early years of your contract learning and growing into the NFL quarterback you want to become.