AllYouNeedIsLovie

Cam Newton blames JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young for disrespect he gets

Cam Newton entered the NFL as one of the most critiqued prospects in the draft, scrutinized because of the investigation regarding charges that he got paid to attend Auburn. We got on him after he called himself an entertainer and icon. His character was destroyed in Pro Football Weekly’s draft preview. We even pointed out that he struggled to call an audible in Jon Gruden’s televised quarterback camp. That’s a lot of scrutiny for one player but Cam says it’s the recent failures of JaMarcus Russell and Vince Young that ruined the perception of him. “But I can’t sit up here and look at it like, oh man, my critics are racist,” Newton said to ESPN the Magazine. “I blame JaMarcus Russell and to some degree Vince Young. If you have the opportunity to make that kind of money doing something you love to do, why would you screw it up? I’m trying to be a trailblazer. If Baylor’s Robert Griffin decides to come out, I want people to say ‘He can be the next Cam Newton’ instead of ‘He’s gonna be the next JaMarcus Russell.’ I had people who can’t throw a football telling me my mechanics were wrong,” says Newton. “I had people taking shots at my character, classifying me as a thug, as a hoodlum. After Week 3 or 4, all these same people wanted an interview. I said, ‘You were giving me all this crap and had so much to say about how I was gonna play, and now you wanna talk? No. Just sit back and watch the show, man.’”

Source: LarryBrownSports.com

I actually really like this, because he's 100% right to blame those two clowns for the pre-conceived image of the black NFL quarterback. We're quickly learning that Donovan McNabb was the same way, as well. He was just fortunate enough to have Andy Reid at head coach, willing to work around McNabb's shortcomings.

Cam is brutally honest sometimes, and I certainly agree with him here.

However, I'm not so sure he's talking about the fact that they are black QBs, even though those two are black, but they were supposed to be similar dual threat QBs and both failed, Russell to the greater extent obviously. So he wants to re-define it- RG3 is also a dual-threat, or is supposed to be, and so he wants people to be excited over the possibility of another Cam Newton rather than being scared off by JaMarcus and Vy's failures at the position playing a similar style.

• Upvote 2

Cam is brutally honest sometimes, and I certainly agree with him here.

However, I'm not so sure he's talking about the fact that they are black QBs, even though those two are black, but they were supposed to be similar dual threat QBs and both failed, Russell to the greater extent obviously. So he wants to re-define it- RG3 is also a dual-threat, or is supposed to be, and so he wants people to be excited over the possibility of another Cam Newton rather than being scared off by JaMarcus and Vy's failures at the position playing a similar style.

I think you misunderstood my post. What I meant is I think he's ashamed of the image Russell and Young gave to the black quarterback.

I actually really like this, because he's 100% right to blame those two clowns for the pre-conceived image of the black NFL quarterback. We're quickly learning that Donovan McNabb was the same way, as well. He was just fortunate enough to have Andy Reid at head coach, willing to work around McNabb's shortcomings.

McNabb was fortunate enough to have Reid as his HC? Put the crack pipe down lol. I think it's pretty clear McNabb was way past his prime when he left Philly.

BTW, Donovan McNabb has pretty much always been the consumate professional. He's got a reputation for that. Russell and Young...not so much.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

I said, ‘You were giving me all this crap and had so much to say about how I was gonna play, and now you wanna talk? No. Just sit back and watch the show, man.’”

Hah.

I think Cam is completely right that he was judged because of Russell and Young due to the fact he's black. I don't think it's just that though. If you look at the history of black NFL QB's, few who have been given the shot could prove to be a great, consistent QB. Warren Moon obviously was and Randall Cunningham was before his injury. Donovan McNabb is probably the third best black NFL QB in history and he honestly only had a good career, not great when compared to all QB's in history. Everyone else is either overrated or only had 3 or 4 good seasons. It might just be me but it also seems like black QB's are especially injury prone since they typically try to make plays by running.

My only gripe with Cunningham is I don't think he ever won a playoff game. If he did he only won one.

Don't forget Steve McNair, he was pretty good when he played. Michael Vick needed some time in prison but now he's a pretty good passer.

Lots of respect for Warren Moon.

Poor Cam, the only black QBs he knows are Russell and Young. Young buck has some studying to do. Plenty of black QB role models to look up to...Like Michael Vick - oh wait.

He is right, but he should keep his mouth shut.

What? Why? They asked him, lol. I love having another guy that isn't afraid to speak up.

If what he says is true, why should he keep his mouth shut?

Everyone knows JaMarcus and Vy didn't live up to their draft positions.

“I had people taking shots at my character, classifying me as a thug, as a hoodlum. After Week 3 or 4, all these same people wanted an interview. I said, ‘You were giving me all this crap and had so much to say about how I was gonna play, and now you wanna talk? No. Just sit back and watch the show, man.’”

Cam laying down the truth...love it!

Fuck the media and their pretentious "holier than thou" attitude.

I hate this... I know he is trying to stay away from saying "racist"... but that is exactly what he is saying. That because of a couple of failed black QBs before him, the media looked at him differently.

Screw that noise.

Good for Cam. I am glad he proved me wrong about him. His work ethic is what has made him what VY and Jamarcus couldn't. :beerchug2:

Edited by Titan

I hate this... I know he is trying to stay away from saying "racist"... but that is exactly what he is saying. That because of a couple of failed black QBs before him, the media looked at him differently.

Screw that noise.

I really don't think that's what he is saying.

He specifically picked JaMarcus and Vy because they were both supposed to be dual-threat QBs, just as Cam actually is.

And now people have this image, or had, before Cam came along, that a QB that can run is also one that isn't very good at passing. He wants to remake that image so that when people see a big QB that can run and pass, they think of Cam Newton and his success, rather than JaMarcus Russell and his failure.

Edited by Thanatos19

I really don't think that's what he is saying.

He specifically picked JaMarcus and Vy because they were both supposed to be dual-threat QBs, just as Cam actually is.

And now people have this image, or had, before Cam came along, that a QB that can run is also one that isn't very good at passing. He wants to remake that image so that when people see a big QB that can run and pass, they think of Cam Newton and his success, rather than JaMarcus Russell and his failure.

By dual threat... you mean... Black... right?!

And that doesn't really fit because I don't remember JaMarcus ever being able to run.

He made it pretty obvious his comparisons were about race when he said:

“But I can’t sit up here and look at it like, oh man, my critics are racist,
  • Upvote 1

He made it pretty obvious his comparisons were about race when he said:

Possibly.

However, he says he "can't" just sit up here and look at if as if his critics are racist regardless of whether they are- because if they are, there is nothing he can do about that. But he can change the image of a big QB that comes out of a college system where he ran a lot, regardless of whether that person is black or not.

They're both black, sure. But I don't think that's the point of his comment. :shrug:

Maybe I'm just misreading him.

• Downvote 1