Vin

Steelers @ Tebows

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Ya.. Injuries suck, and they had a lot of them. Anybody would be crazy to say that those didn't have an impact. But did the Steelers lose BECAUSE OF those injuries? No. They failed to execute. They were playing some WEIRD ASS pass defense. The safety play was some of the most peculiar I have ever seen. Their defensive game plan was just absolutely horrendous.

Ya I understand them when they had everyone in the box at first to stop the run but once Tebow completed those couple of long balls, those safeties should have started playing over the top. I was confused by that as well.

Denver was without Chris Kuper, Brian Dawkins and Eric Decker. Injuries aren't an excuse at all. The Steelers gameplan just didn't work.

you do wonder how much of a difference Ryan Clark would have made with the number of deep passes the Broncos were able to come up with, but like Razor pointed out, the Broncos were also missing a safety in Brian Dawkins so if Tebow could take advantage of it why couldn't Roethlisberger?

you do wonder how much of a difference Ryan Clark would have made with the number of deep passes the Broncos were able to come up with, but like Razor pointed out, the Broncos were also missing a safety in Brian Dawkins so if Tebow could take advantage of it why couldn't Roethlisberger?

Other than the fact that he was on one leg?

Which could be pointed to as a bad coaching decision to play him the last game instead of letting him rest. Not that I disagree with that decision at all. And if he's on one leg why doesn't the coach put in a quarterback with two legs? :shrug:

With Clark out not only do we have to wonder how they would've played but how responsible is Clark for how great Polamalu is perceived to be? Troy had a couple good plays yesterday but overall didn't have a very good game.

What a great game. Tomlin got outcoached - the Broncos had ran on 21/22 first downs in the game and the first play of over time the Steelers stack the box showing the infamous "Cover 0" look and the Broncos air it deep. Ike Taylor played terrible throughout the entire game and with Tebow playing the game of his life that was a recipe for disaster for the Steelers.

I know Tebow gets all the media hype but how about D-Thomas folks? 4 catches for 204 yards is ridiculous. Tebow made a good pass and took advantage of a terrible Steelers formation but the rest was on Thomas and his speed, determination and strength.

if the injury was that bad he shouldn't have been playing, and it looked like he could still physically make all of the throws he needed to, so I don't think his leg gives him an excuse for that

Well Tebow 'pulled the trigger'...and again...and again...and on the first play of OT...

I completely understand playing Ben against Pitt for the start of the game.

The idea was to win that game and then hope Batch can beat the Browns and Rams, or so I thought. Once it became apparent that Ben's leg was bothering him and that the Niners were going to win, he should have been pulled and then rested the last three games in the regular season.

And for the record, Tomlin was asked about this, and he said if he had to make the same decision again, he would do the same thing he did. So, doesn't look like he's taking the blame for this one.

The Steelers still would have won if their secondary didn't play like Carolina's, though.

The Steelers were trying to clinch home field advantage. That's a huge enough reason why they should have gone with Ben, who gives them the best chance to win on Sundays. I don't disagree with Tomlin in that regard.

Well, that was a shitty game to see the end of in person. The injuries were a setback, but the defense lost this game. Everyone is talking about Tebow and how great a game he played, but he was overthrowing receivers by a mile and throwing passes into the dirt. He threw a good ball on the redzone TD, but the rest was all Demaryius Thomas being WIDE open due to the defensive scheme and Ike Taylor sucking balls.

Like a few of you have mentioned, the Steelers should never have continued to stack 10 men in the box and leave Ryan Mundy back deep and Ike on an island with someone he obviously couldn't cover.

The Steelers were trying to clinch home field advantage. That's a huge enough reason why they should have gone with Ben, who gives them the best chance to win on Sundays. I don't disagree with Tomlin in that regard.

They could have beaten the Browns with any QB on their roster, and probably whoever the emergency QB is, as well. Ben should not have played. It's as simple as that.

If there was one victim of the aggressive defensive game plan the Steelers deployed it was Ike Taylor (-4.6). Taylor was beaten for 204 yards on just four receptions, with 104 of them coming after the catch, as well as being flagged for a defensive pass interference penalty deep down the field on another play. He was also flagged for defensive holding on Demaryius Thomas who got the better of him all day. The 204 yards Taylor allowed in receiving yardage is the most one cornerback has allowed since we’ve been grading, and the only corner to allow over 200 receiving yards in a game in 1061 games of analysis. Taylor may have been exposed for a lack of safety help, especially on the touchdown to win the game in overtime, but he was consistently beaten by Thomas and never really looked like the player he can be at his best. Incredibly he allowed almost half of the total yardage he has surrendered this season in this one playoff game.

PFF

And for what it is worth, and for those all of a sudden Troy haters.... PFF graded him out at +3.1... One of his better performances all season.

Edited by Favre4Ever

They could have beaten the Browns with any QB on their roster, and probably whoever the emergency QB is, as well. Ben should not have played. It's as simple as that.

I know its the Browns so we automatically assume 'easy win' but thats not the case. They were playing at Cleveland against the leagues 5th ranked defense and won by a TD. Not exactly the walk in the park game your picturing.

Actually, they escaped Cleveland with a 13-9 win.

However, my point was that it didn't matter. That game was irrelevant, and getting Ben rest should have been the priority, IMO.

Not blaming it for this playoff loss, that's on the secondary, specifically Taylor, but Ben being mobile might have been able to put up more points and cover that up.

Of course, they'd've been destroyed in New England playing like that, so maybe it's for the best. Although they would have at least had Ryan Clark back. I sure hope he doesn't blame himself or anything. He had no business playing in that game, that was the right call.

I know Tebow gets all the media hype but how about D-Thomas folks? 4 catches for 204 yards is ridiculous. Tebow made a good pass and took advantage of a terrible Steelers formation but the rest was on Thomas and his speed, determination and strength.

I'm glad somebody else noticed. Though you could attribute his monster stats to Ike Taylor having a really bad night, Thomas is undeniably gifted physically. He'll be one to keep an eye on next year, and Broncos fans have to feel good about him right now.