Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Cowboys to go after Carl Nicks?

ESPN Dallas' Todd Archer suggests that the Cowboys may make a run at free agent LG Carl Nicks this offseason.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has a history of spending big on guards (Leonard Davis, Kyle Kosier, Marco Rivera), and new Dallas OL coach Bill Callahan was Nebraska's head coach when Nicks was a Cornhusker. Nicks turns 27 in May. He was a second-team All-Pro selection in 2010 and first-team All-Pro in 2011.

Source: ESPN Dallas

Guest Phailadelphia

Not a fan of this move. Replace Phil Costa above all else.

Not a fan of this move. Replace Phil Costa above all else.

After the way Kosier struggled this year you wouldn't be excited to land Carl Nicks? C'mon, man.

After the way Kosier struggled this year you wouldn't be excited to land Carl Nicks? C'mon, man.

Kosier was fine.

Guest Phailadelphia

Kosier looked like an All-Pro player next to Costa. He HAS to go.

Kosier looked like an All-Pro player next to Costa. He HAS to go.

I can't remember his name, but his backup (a rookie) did just as well as Costa. I have a feeling they'll let him develop and he can take over the job in training camp.

Guest Phailadelphia

I can't remember his name, but his backup (a rookie) did just as well as Costa. I have a feeling they'll let him develop and he can take over the job in training camp.

Kowalski? They must have a lot of faith to expect him to go from backing up an awful center to starting the next year...

Kowalski? They must have a lot of faith to expect him to go from backing up an awful center to starting the next year...

That's just my hindsight from the season. They either don't believe Phil Costa is a problem or they think Kowalski has more upside and can start soon. I dunno, man. I ain't heard nothin' about replacing Costa, and I'm hopeful that they do, but I don't see the necessary signs.

Guest Phailadelphia

I asked former scout and current ESPN Dallas analyst Bryan Broaddus what he thought of Dallas pursuing a guard rather than finding a replacement for Costa:

@tg87 Just me but I think they are going to let Nagy and Kowalski battle it out for center. @toddarcher asked me about Kosier at center?

I'd be surprised if the Bucs don't go after a Guard this off-season so there might be some bidding going on.

I'd be surprised if the Bucs don't go after a Guard this off-season so there might be some bidding going on.

The Glazers aren't usually ones to spend money in free agency. They really push that "build through the draft" message, and when you consider that Nicks is gonna become the highest paid guard in the NFL, I doubt the Bucs will be competitive bidders.

The Glazers aren't usually ones to spend money in free agency. They really push that "build through the draft" message, and when you consider that Nicks is gonna become the highest paid guard in the NFL, I doubt the Bucs will be competitive bidders.

This past season seemed to have showed them building too much in the draft is a bad thing. They've payed players and offered big money before. If they really want Carl Nicks I doubt they won't make him an offer. I also doubt it'll be enough to make him the highest paid guard but they've offered more to one player before, so who knows. it'll depend on how much they want him. We need an upgrade at LG but it's not our biggest position need and we did just give David Joseph a seven-year $53mil contract.