BLUE

Rams expected to hire Gregg Williams as DC

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to SI's Peter King, the Rams are "expected" to hire Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator under Jeff Fisher.

Williams is coordinating the Saints' defense in the playoffs, but his contract is up after the season and he is a longtime pal of Fisher. Williams would keep St. Louis' 4-3 alignment in place. He's known for heavy blitzing. It's fair to wonder if Eagles DL coach Jim Washburn might join Williams and Fisher in St. Louis. Washburn's "Wide-9" scheme may not mesh well in Philadelphia if the Eagles hire Steve Spagnuolo as defensive coordinator. Jan 13 - 5:20 PM

Source: SI.com

They can be a nasty D when healthy.

didn't realize his contract was up, but it makes a lot of sense, he wanted to come back to Tennessee in 2009 when Schwartz left for Detroit but Bud Adams wouldn't hire his son, also I would love to see what Chris Long can do under Jim Washburn

His defense didn't seem so good today. Letting the Niners score 37 points on you.

His defense didn't seem so good today. Letting the Niners score 37 points on you.

Not sure Gregg should take the fall for this one. Alex Smith made some pretty awesome throws in the 4th quarter. And if you want to blame the game on something, blame it on 5 turnovers.

• Upvote 1

This is looking really good for the Rams IMO.

Yes. Really good. Take him please. :)

You can blame the game on 5 turnovers if you want and it did play a part,

but his blitz happy schemes with us are tiresome. We can't generate a pass rush with the front four so he has to blitz but in the final minutes when you are up and he still brings the house with noone in coverage is asking to get burned time and time again.

And we got burned plenty this year from those blitz's.

So yes take him and let us start over with someone new.

Was it or was it not Greg Williams who decided to blitz Smith instead of forcing him to make throws, and as a consequence of that, left Malcolm Jenkins 1 on 1 with Vernon Davis.

Was it or was it not Greg Williams who decided to blitz Smith instead of forcing him to make throws, and as a consequence of that, left Malcolm Jenkins 1 on 1 with Vernon Davis.

Yes it was :yep:

Greg Williams is a tad overrated imo...

He'd have to come with a brand new game plan with the Rams, they have MUCH less to work with.

Greg Williams is a tad overrated imo...

He'd have to come with a brand new game plan with the Rams, they have MUCH less to work with.

Your avatar... :rofl:

So I'm a Pats fan now? Where'd you get that from?

Maybe I should be for this playoff run, since all of their other fans are hoping they lose so they can say "I told you so!" Don't worry, Brady, I got your back.

Edited by Thanatos19

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/413/rams-defense

It is done.

Rams named Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator.St. Louis hired new head coach Jeff Fisher late last week, and he's not delayed in picking his coordinators. Williams will run the defense, and ex-Jets OC Brian Schottenheimer is expected to call the offense. Williams is close with Fisher, as the two worked together on Tennessee's staff from 1997-2000. Known for constant blitzing, Williams' Saints defense ranked 24th in 2011, but fourth in 2010. New Orleans led the NFL in turnovers caused in 2009. Jan 16 - 4:01 PMSource: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
Edited by Eefluxx

I imagine he's getting paid more. It's not very typical for a defensive coordinator like him to take a job with a defensive minded HC since they don't typically get as much freedom.

Edited by Shotgun

I imagine he's getting paid more. It's not very typical for a defensive coordinator like him to take a job with a defensive minded HC since they don't typically get as much freedom.

except that he and Fisher are close and have similar styles, so that won't be an issue at all

except that he and Fisher are close and have similar styles, so that won't be an issue at all

This.

Now I wonder if they make a run at getting Washburn from the Eagles?

Now I wonder if they make a run at getting Washburn from the Eagles?

NO. STAY AWAY.