Sign in to follow this  
BC

Can Matt Flynn be a dependable franchise quarterback?

10 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no?

Obviously we wouldn't know for sure until he signs with a team and either proves that he can or can't. Similar situation with Tony Romo and Kevin Kolb when teams took gambles on them. Based on what you know about Matt Flynn, and your gut feeling on Matt Flynn, will he be able to be brought into a new situation and succeed?

It's a tricky question to ask because the answer can change dramatically based on the words used in the question. Basically I'm trying to get the TGP opinion of whether it would be a success bringing him into a new situation or not. I've watched him occasionally in the preseason and each of his two starts where he lit up the Lions and the Patriots in the regular season. Of course his success probably depends on a few things, such as which team signs him, who the head coach is, etc.

By the way, by dependable, I don't mean like Kevin Kolb or Mark Sanchez. I'm talking about staying healthy and making all of his starts assuming pockets don't constantly break down, keeping his composure under pressure, bring positivity into the locker room, make the 4th quarter his best quarter, lead you to a winning record + playoff berth more seasons than not, and be above average in QB statistics.

It's a tricky question to ask because the answer can change dramatically based on the words used in the question. Basically I'm trying to get the TGP opinion of whether it would be a success bringing him into a new situation or not. I've watched him occasionally in the preseason and each of his two starts where he lit up the Lions and the Patriots in the regular season. Of course his success probably depends on a few things, such as which team signs him, who the head coach is, etc.

Ya.. depends what system you use. Obviously, like other QBs he has things that he is comfortable with and things that he isn't as comfortable with.

He isn't the greatest QB in reading coverages (although above average), he makes some poor decisions at times, he definitely doesn't have the strongest arm, and his deep ball isn't the prettiest or the most accurate.

But he is a very smart player who makes quick, accurate decisions and has the ability to escape pressure with his feet if need be.

Dependable? Absolutely. Is he going to revolutionize the position? Absolutely not. I think of him as a better version of Matt Hasselbeck.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Obviously we wouldn't know for sure until he signs with a team and either proves that he can or can't. Similar situation with Tony Romo and Kevin Kolb when teams took gambles on them.

Uh, the Cowboys signed Romo as a UDFA. Not similar at all to Kevin Kolb or Matt Cassel.

And I think of Flynn as a poor man's Matt Schaub.

I think so, but it really matters what team he goes to.. The o-line can't be total garbage. I think he'd be a great fit in Miami, or maybe Tamps. Miami has a better oling though.

I wouldn't say he is a franchise QB but he could definetely come in and help some teams and potentially be an above average QB. I think the Seahawks or Dolphins would be the best fit for him.

I wouldn't say he is a franchise QB but he could definetely come in and help some teams and potentially be an above average QB. I think the Seahawks or Dolphins would be the best fit for him.

So he's a Kyle Orton - type band aid is what you're saying?

So he's a Kyle Orton - type band aid is what you're saying?

Sort of, I would say he is better than Orton but as of right now, I don't think he can be a gamechanger and lead the team by himself. Like F4E said, he is like Hasselbeck. You put Matt Flynn on the Seahawks, where he has a good running back along with a couple good receivers and an o-line he can succeed.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Matt Hasslebeck nearly won a super bowl, so that's not such a bad thing to be.

Some Browns fans are all about Flynn. He is in a WCO hybrid now so the transition to our WCO wouldnt be horribly difficult for him. I'm just not sold on him or his arm but I'd like to see more feedback from F4E or others on the subject.

I think he'd be a great pickup for teams like the Redskins, Dolphins, or Seahawks who need a QB, don't have a good young QB on the roster and aren't in position to get one of the top two in the draft (Luck and RG3) he could turn out to be a great QB and you'd be set, but even if he doesn't pan out you'll probably be able to get a solid guy through the draft next year in what should be a deeper QB pool

Probably a servicable quarterback for any teams like the Redskins, Dolphins, Seahawks or the Browns. But a franchise quarterback? I doubt that. Dependable? Possibly dependably mediocre, but then again who knows. I mean, in the Green Bay offense we had all seen his week 17 performance. This situation with Matt Flynn is scary similar to the Kevin Kolb situation. So in terms of Matt Flynn, see: Kevin Kolb.

Final Opinion:

Servicable. Not a long term solution.

He needs weapons. Don't blow your load over a backup QB succeeding in a great system against two terrible pass defenses. At the same time, he still needed the talent to be able to do that, so my pick is on him being a viable starter for years to come in a place like Seattle, where they're building a great defense and running game. Also, there ain't nothing wrong with having Sidney Rice and Doug Baldwin on the outside.

Seattle, get Matt Flynn.

I think if you give Flynn something to work with like in Miami or something the guy could turn out great, but if you trade him to a bad team it could turn out to be a costly mistake.

I think if you give Flynn something to work with like in Miami or something the guy could turn out great, but if you trade him to a bad team it could turn out to be a costly mistake.

Sean, Matt Flynn is a free agent there is no trade.

Report: Skins 'very interested' in Matt Flynn

Citing sources inside the organization, ESPN 980 Washington's Chris Russell reports the Redskins are "very interested" in free agent QB Matt Flynn.

ESPN's Mel Kiper told reporters earlier in the day that "grapevine" talk suggested the Redskins didn't have a high opinion of Flynn. Russell knows "for sure," though, that coach Mike Shanahan and OC Kyle Shanahan had a "detailed conversation" two weeks ago on Flynn's six-touchdown, 480-yard performance against the Lions in the regular season finale. Whereas Charley Casserly suggested Flynn wouldn't be a good fit for the Redskins offense, one team source tells Russell the two systems are "almost the same."

Source: ESPN 980 Washington Jan 19 - 4:39 PM

Matt Flynn makes Miami SB contenders. :troll:

Matt Flynn makes Miami SB contenders. :troll:

I think he could. If they traded for Flynn they could easily go out and sign another good WR to go along with Marshall, Bess and Fasano. They already have one of the best defenses in the league and it should be even better this year. I think if they can manage to shore up the interrior to that o line they could be a really balanced team.

Two things I'd be semi hesitant about Flynn...

1) How long is it going to take him to completely master a new offense, a new playbook, and get all the language down? He is extremely smart... But he has been in the same system with the same language his entire career. It's all he knows.

2) How good of a leader will he be? One thing Packer fans don't know is what kind of a leader Matt Flynn will be. He's a good teammate, no doubt about it.. But he has never been THE guy that everyone else on the team looks to. How will he handle that role?

He needs weapons. Don't blow your load over a backup QB succeeding in a great system against two terrible pass defenses. At the same time, he still needed the talent to be able to do that, so my pick is on him being a viable starter for years to come in a place like Seattle, where they're building a great defense and running game. Also, there ain't nothing wrong with having Sidney Rice and Doug Baldwin on the outside.

Seattle, get Matt Flynn.

Washington wouldn't be a bad spot either, their defense is solid and trending upward, they've got a solid stable of backs (none would individually be what I would consider a really good back, but between Hightower, Helu, and Royster they've got a solid trio) with Santana Moss, Chris Cooley, and Fred Davis to throw to and a few other capable WRs in Gaffney and Armstrong with a few rookies that showed promise, not to mention signing Flynn they'd be able to use their #6 pick on a guy like Blackmon and suddenly that looks like a potentially scary offense

Washington wouldn't be a bad spot either, their defense is solid and trending upward, they've got a solid stable of backs (none would individually be what I would consider a really good back, but between Hightower, Helu, and Royster they've got a solid trio) with Santana Moss, Chris Cooley, and Fred Davis to throw to and a few other capable WRs in Gaffney and Armstrong with a few rookies that showed promise, not to mention signing Flynn they'd be able to use their #6 pick on a guy like Blackmon and suddenly that looks like a potentially scary offense

I got a feeling Minnesota might select Blackmon at 3. They need a real threat on offense, and unless they're banking on signing Stevie Johnson, I don't know how else they'll get it.

I think he could. If they traded for Flynn they could easily go out and sign another good WR to go along with Marshall, Bess and Fasano. They already have one of the best defenses in the league and it should be even better this year. I think if they can manage to shore up the interrior to that o line they could be a really balanced team.

The hypemobile is rolling into town again, folks. First it was Orton, now its Flynn.

• Upvote 1

Three reasons why Matt Flynn is the next Tom Brady:

1) They both had success at big name schools.

Brady was a QB at Michigan, before Lloyd Carr's demising years. Though he was regarding as more of a leader than a passer, he survived high expectations. Flynn was in a similar situation at LSU, taking the leadership role while players like Jacob Hester and Early Doucet got all the accolades. He was still a very smart quarterback and led his team to a National Championship.

2) They were both drafted late by good franchises.

Brady was drafted by the New England Patriots 199th overall in the 2000 draft. Under Robert Craft and Bill Belicheck, Brady had all the tools to flourish. Flynn was drafted by the Green Bay Packers 209th overall in this year's draft. The Packers were the youngest team in the NFL last year and still went to the NFC Championship Game. Flynn is developing with talent all around the organization.

3) They both look like Matt Damon.

tom-brady-2.jpg

matt-flynn-pictures%20(1).jpg

matt_damon.jpg

• Upvote 1