Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Report: Browns not sold on RGIII at No. 4

Per Rotoworld.com:

One scout tells long-time NFL writer Len Pasquerelli that the Browns aren't sold on Baylor's Robert Griffin III as worthy of the No. 4 pick in the draft.

Skepticism is advised. The same scout acknowledges the Browns are far from sold on Colt McCoy as well. The Cleveland Plain Dealer has suggested the Browns would have to "turn their offense upside down" for RGIII, as he's only operated out of the shotgun and was never required to read defenses at Baylor. If that criticism sounds familiar, it's the same question Cam Newton faced leading up to the draft last year. We suspect RGIII's talent will be too enticing for the Browns to pass up -- if they get the chance. Jan 27 - 9:07 AM

Source: Canton Repository

So this article basically says...nothing?

Browns offense needs another year or two to be installed, not sure why the CPD thinks it needs to be turned upside down. Shit was horrible this year.

If the Browns are taking a QB this year I think it has to be RGIII. As many have said this draft class has no QB depth. Would the Browns be better served to acquire more picks and build the team and wait a year to get QB? If they really don't like Griffin I think they should trade out of the 4th pick. idk that the Browns need a big time, elite WR like Blackmon. If they traded down a couple spots they could pick up a guy like Coples or something and have even more picks. They could build themselves a nasty LB corps if they picked up some second round picks. Then you have Haden, Coples, Sheard and even more defensive talent.

If the Browns are taking a QB this year I think it has to be RGIII. As many have said this draft class has no QB depth. Would the Browns be better served to acquire more picks and build the team and wait a year to get QB? If they really don't like Griffin I think they should trade out of the 4th pick. idk that the Browns need a big time, elite WR like Blackmon. If they traded down a couple spots they could pick up a guy like Coples or something and have even more picks. They could build themselves a nasty LB corps if they picked up some second round picks. Then you have Haden, Coples, Sheard and even more defensive talent.

The defense is not the problem.

The Browns could most definitely use a big-time WR threat like Justin Blackmon.

The defense is not the problem.

The Browns could most definitely use a big-time WR threat like Justin Blackmon.

It's not the problem but they could also build an elite defense with extra picks and of course ANYONE could use a guy as talented as Blackmon but WR just isn't all that important of a position tbh.

It's not the problem but they could also build an elite defense with extra picks and of course ANYONE could use a guy as talented as Blackmon but WR just isn't all that important of a position tbh.

It is when you have an elite player at that position. Just look at what Calvin Johnson did this year; defenses literally could not stop him. I realize putting Justin Blackmon in the conversation with Johnson is premature, but he certainly has that level of potential, so I don't think it would be a horrible pick for Cleveland, and if I'm Mike Holmgren, I'm drafting Blackmon before Trent Richardson.

It is when you have an elite player at that position. Just look at what Calvin Johnson did this year; defenses literally could not stop him. I realize putting Justin Blackmon in the conversation with Johnson is premature, but he certainly has that level of potential, so I don't think it would be a horrible pick for Cleveland, and if I'm Mike Holmgren, I'm drafting Blackmon before Trent Richardson.

God, you'd hope so. The WCO that Holmgren and Shurmur run do not highly value a running back.

We need a legit threat at WR but we also need help at other positions. I would be happy with Blackmon, I would probably be happy with RGIII, I would also be ok with Claiborne. I'd also be willing to give up our 2 first round picks this year and the 1st next year to trade up to Luck but that wont happen :p.

Yeah and then look at what happened when the Lions got fucking shelled by the Saints and Calvin Johnson had 200+ yards receiving 2TD's and like 12 or 13 receptions. Then you have to take into considerations all the options that the Browns will have at WR in FA not to mention later in the draft if they can find a team desperate enough to pay a kings ransome to get Griffin. I think there's far more value to be had trading down for the Browns tbh.

EDIT: Having said all that I think if the Browns ARE sold on Griffin, which is very possible especially since they'll have plenty of time to see him work out and interview him from now until April, that they have to go get their franchise QB and pull the trigger on RGIII

Edited by seanbrock

Smoke and mirrors anyone?

If a team like Washington or Miami that wants him, knows the Browns want him, they trade up to grab him. If we "don't" want him Washington is more likely to stay put in the draft thinking he will fall.

I mean I am not sold on him either, but with no combine or pro-day, not sure this really says anything.

Smoke and mirrors anyone?

Right now everything is smoke and mirrors. There are some givens out there but for teams like ours that need a bunch of talent we cant really lose in the #4 spot.

Columnist need to do something during the teams offseason :).

I actually think the best move for the Browns is to draft Morris Claiborne @ #4 overall, and then draft the best receiver available @ #22. (Floyd, Wright, or Jeffery)

Claiborne/Haden would be a great cornerback tandem for years to come, and adding a top-flight receiver for Colt McCoy will give him no excuses if he struggles again next season. I do think Colt deserves one more chance.

With that said, I still think the Browns should at least take a late round flier on a quarterback this year. Somewhere between rounds 5-7 I think it'd be a good move to grab someone like Case Keenum or Kellen Moore to throw into the mix. (Both would be good fits in a west-coast offense IMO)

I just think the Browns have a lot more problems than quarterback at the moment to be investing so much in Robert Griffin III. This way they can address more problems, and if they don't have a good season with Colt under the middle they can look to grab their franchise quarterback next season. (Matt Barkley?)

As intriguing of a prospect RGIII is, he can't solve all of Cleveland's problems.

I actually think the best move for the Browns is to draft Morris Claiborne @ #4 overall, and then draft the best receiver available @ #22. (Floyd, Wright, or Jeffery)

Claiborne/Haden would be a great cornerback tandem for years to come, and adding a top-flight receiver for Colt McCoy will give him no excuses if he struggles again next season. I do think Colt deserves one more chance.

With that said, I still think the Browns should at least take a late round flier on a quarterback this year. Somewhere between rounds 5-7 I think it'd be a good move to grab someone like Case Keenum or Kellen Moore to throw into the mix. (Both would be good fits in a west-coast offense IMO)

I just think the Browns have a lot more problems than quarterback at the moment to be investing so much in Robert Griffin III. This way they can address more problems, and if they don't have a good season with Colt under the middle they can look to grab their franchise quarterback next season. (Matt Barkley?)

As intriguing of a prospect RGIII is, he can't solve all of Cleveland's problems.

Basically this. I'd be cool with Claiborn or Blackmon at 4 but I really think Colt should be given at least another year. There's no way I pin most of the blame on him this last season. At 22 I would like another guard or tackle for that right side or a corner that can actually cover someone and play opposite Haden or a linebacker.

Edited by Barracuda

Our offense is a big issue, not one single guy can help this franchise - that's true. I never sell myself on any one guy, in fact I'd prefer to horde up some picks, but I know our FO values a franchise QB and they have not once supported or backed McCoy through the season nor in the offseason. They will likely address QB during in FA or the draft to be sure.

You think the Browns want to gamble on grabbing Barkely in next years draft? He's likely to be a top 5 pick.

What I know: they do not really value WR's --just look at Heckerts draft record -- and from interviews last offseason and this year, both Heckert and Holmgren are going to stack up on offensive players. If we do not trade down -- and RGIII is available -- I do not really see us going any other route.

My preference in order to give whoever our QB is for next year would be:

4 Justin Blackmon

22 Lamar Miller

round 2 - Best tackle available

I then agree on taking a late round QB for if Colt isnt getting it done. Not sure when Weedon is supposed to go, but I would like him, Keenum, or Moore would all be fine with me. Then there would be little excuses that could be made for whoever our QB is.

You think the Browns want to gamble on grabbing Barkely in next years draft? He's likely to be a top 5 pick.

What I know: they do not really value WR's --just look at Heckerts draft record -- and from interviews last offseason and this year, both Heckert and Holmgren are going to stack up on offensive players. If we do not trade down -- and RGIII is available -- I do not really see us going any other route.

Barkley was just a suggestion if the Browns happen to have another bad season and find themselves atop the draft board again in 2013.

I really think Claiborne should be the pick @ #4, but even trading down for more picks is a good option in my opinion. I actually really like RGIII as a prospect, but I personally think the Browns have more positions in dire need of upgrading before quarterback. If the Browns end up with three first round picks that would be...

Charlie-Sheen-Winning-Duh.jpg

I really think Claiborne should be the pick @ #4, but even trading down for more picks is a good option in my opinion.

I would be ok with either of those options.

Browns coaching staff refused to run more Shotgun for Colt McCoy... They refused to change their style of Offense to "fit" the type of QB they had in McCoy... I don't see them adjusting to make the Offense "fit" around RG3... If they take RG3 and don't make any significant improvements to this Offense, I don't see how its going to be any better than what they have with McCoy...

Btw, McCoy did it for 4 Years at Texas, not just 1 like RG3 at Baylor...

If you've read my other posts, you already know where I stand on this... I say Keep Colt, give him some legit Weapons to work with (Blackmon, Bowe, DJax)<<--(not all 3 of course) and a full Off-Season program to actually learn the Offense... Then talk to me this time next year if you think Colt still isn't the guy... I think if you give him those two things 1) playmakers and 2) full Off-Season to learn, you will be pleasantly surprised by McCoy...

Edited by CeeGee