Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

You're the Browns GM

So you're the Browns GM and you and your staff are sold on RGIII. You know at this point there's about a 99% chance Luck goes number 1, but the Rams and Vikings who are the other two teams ahead of you already took a QB with their first each within the last two years. You've already been hearing Washington may trade up as high as 2nd overall to snag RGIII from under you. Do you try to move up yourself? What is the limit on what you'd give up?

I'd just stay put, maybe even consider trading down to get more players. Cleveland needs a Corner opposite Haden, Offensive weapons, and a QB who can excel. RG3 is gonna come at the cost of offensive weapons and a corner. Not worth it.

• Upvote 1

I'd just stay put, maybe even consider trading down to get more players. Cleveland needs a Corner opposite Haden, Offensive weapons, and a QB who can excel. RG3 is gonna come at the cost of offensive weapons and a corner. Not worth it.

There are some really good WR's on the market right now and they're young. Why not go out and get one of those guys? I think you can get RGIII make up for the picks used to get him by signing stop gap FA's or even a big fish if you can lure him to Cleveland.

I honestly don't like RG3 as a prospect. I feel like if you really want a QB in this draft, Tannehill might just be the way the go.

I don't personally care for QB's that are likely to run a lot, so if it was me I'd be more worried about getting other pieces on an offense with zero weapons. The Browns can live with Colt for now, and who knows he may be just what they need. Kind of hard to find out everything he can do when he doesn't have any talent to throw to.

I would stay put at #4 and draft this guy...

f50a8c3d4a880d5.jpg

Or I would trade down and get more picks, because I'm in agreeance with Razor on needing more than just a quarterback to solve all of Cleveland's problems.

Would you eat an animal cracker off a toilet seat?!

• Upvote 1

As I've said before in other threads and in the shoutbox...

No one can beat the Browns offer if they want RGIII.

If I'm the Browns GM I WANT RGIII. A potential franchise QB and one who I think will be a top QB in the league eventually.

Both first-rounders (this year) and go from there...

I would not give up as much as Washington is rumored to want to give up for RGIII. I can wait for next year and maybe have a small chance at Barkley. Colt is servicable and might be better with legit talent at Wr around him. We have too many holes to fill right now to give up so much for one guy.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Terry Pluto believes the price for the Browns to trade up to No. 2 overall is both 2012 first-round picks as well as the 2013 first-rounder.

NFL Insider Charley Casserly agrees, suggesting a trio of first-rounders could clinch the deal. With rookie salaries deflated, multiple teams desperately in need of a franchise savior, and the top two quarterbacks set in stone, the Rams will simply take advantage of supply-and-demand while throwing Jimmy Johnson's point-value trade chart out the window. Pluto's suggestion lends more credence to the weekend report that the Redskins realize they will need to part with their top three 2012 picks and "at least" their 2013 first-round pick to land RGIII.

Related: Browns, Rams, Redskins

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Three 1st rounders to move up two spots?! I don't care how good of a prospect RGIII is; that's not worth it.

I really don't think RGIII will be able to start right away, he's coming out of an option offense so most of his passes in college were against defenses that were completely expecting run, and his deep passes (from what I saw) were not usually on target. I do think he can be a great NFL QB, but he's a guy that IMO needs to sit behind a vet for a year or two (more likely two) to adjust to the pro style.

I really don't think RGIII will be able to start right away, he's coming out of an option offense so most of his passes in college were against defenses that were completely expecting run, and his deep passes (from what I saw) were not usually on target. I do think he can be a great NFL QB, but he's a guy that IMO needs to sit behind a vet for a year or two (more likely two) to adjust to the pro style.

The spread-option is a knock but I don't think he is as much of a concern as QB's who run for 1,600 yards and 20+ TD's in a season like Newton did. He threw way more than a lot of QB's with his kind of athletic ability.

His deep passes were fine, I've seen some plays where he fit the ball in a tight hole man-to-man coverage, and some where he didn't. Odds are the times he is inaccurate have a lot to do with mechanics as it is an issue with most, if not all QB's coming out of college. That's fixable in the off-season and can be worked on more as the season goes. From what I've read some people consider him more accurate than Cam when he came out, just with less arm strength but that's negligible.

I don't personally like the sit and wait approach. If you put him out there you have his negatives on tape against NFL-level defenses, and that allows teams to fix issues as the seasons go. The experiences gained is a lot more valuable than what he'd get holding a clip board. Whatever team he goes to just needs to be smart and tailor the offense to his strengths rather than force him into what the coaches prefer to call.

What the Panthers did with Cam should be done with RGIII and is a great example as to what a team should do with pretty much all rookie QB's who will start. They should sit him down with the coaches and allow him to have input on what kind of plays they'll run so he can start out running what's comfortable. Then they can add some more plays here and there as games go by and he'll hopefully be fully into it by year 3.

To be fair, I haven't seen a lot of tape on him (I'm not much of a college football guy and I don't have the time to do an extensive study) so I could be completely off, and you do bring up some good points, you certainly don't get over 4k yards if you can't throw the ball, and really as long as you have a solid oline in front of him so you're not making him a punching bag for his first few seasons (see David Carr) he'll probably be fine, I would just temper expectations for his first season, I think we're more likely to see more things he needs to work on than we are to see him instantly redefine the position (which some commentators seem to think he'll do)

If I am the browns GM I figure out what i want first. If Washington wants to trade up and get him than go ahead. That means I get to pick up somebody like Morris Claiborne, or trade back and pick up A guy Like Konz in the first. Or I would not be opposed to getting Johnathan Martin or something to have book end tackles. Given time just about any QB can succeed and Joe Thomas and Reif or Martin could be a dynamic 1 2 punch. Woth the other one I could also help myself by pushing the Steeler's price up for Wallace hurting their cap more or I can pick up a proven deep threat in this league for a late first rounder. If not then the steelers match it and I put them in a harder spot with the cap and mkae them rely on rookies to fill the void for some veterans. If they keep wallace than I look at somebody like Mark Barron to sure up my secondary with Claiborne, Haden, and Barron. They are in the best spot in this draft as of now.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

On the scenario that I'm SOLD on RG3.

I stay put. Call the Rams' bluff. They don't need a quarterback, and they won't take RG3. It's also obvious that not too many teams are ready to pull the trigger on the Rams' asking price for that pick. Sitting behind them, the Browns are in the "cat-bird" seat.

we need a poll

Edited by BC