Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Well Denver is screwed

Peyton makes us a competitor, he doesn't make us a contender. We burn 2-3 years with (at best) some playoff success but ultimately fall short of the golden ticket. Then Peyton retires, we have a gaping hole at QB and need even more time to fill it. The Broncos aren't the Colts where great QB's just fall in their laps when the draft comes along (Elway, though he wanted out, Peyton, Luck maybe... though I guess they drafted Jeff George as well first overall.)

Point is, we are 100% guaranteed to not get a championship when we have Peyton Manning as our QB. I have some better idea about the contract details now. 18 Million guaranteed this year, if he passes physicals after the 2012 and 2013 seasons, he'll get another 20 million in his pocket for 2013 and 2014. In any case that's still a ridiculous amount of money to be giving a guy coming off of so many neck surgeries, who is 36 years old and was already declining before his injury.

I'll do some more research on it later, because it's not impossible for a QB to play well after 36, Elway, Young and Rich Gannon come to mind, but I dont know if there is a guy who played well, came off of a major injury, and did so on a team as bad as Denver is right now. Because there are still a lot of holes we need to fill. Because we got blown the fuck out by good teams last year. Any team with a working pass offense (Detroit, New England, Green Bay) absolutely slaughtered us, and we've done nothing to address our woes. A rookie or two is unlikely to do much to remedy this issue. We're inefficient on defense, we give up more points than our yards allowed should suggest. Willis McGahee is going to hit the wall soon, and we need a back who can dominate with terrible blocking. Speaking of terrible blocking, Clady took so many steps backwards last year it was ridiculous. Beadles and Walton are showing why they were drafted by Josh McDaniels. Kuper got his leg wrecked and might not be the same 'only decent' player on our line. Franklin shows some promise as a road grader, but he can't handle a speed rusher.

This team has too many holes for an aging QB on the decline, coming off a major injury to become an instant fix. But everyone is going be in that mindset, because it's Peyton Manning. The NFL's posterboy. Suddenly we're a contender, even with our plethora of flaws? Did people not watch our games? Where we did barely enough on both sides of the ball to get the opposing defense tired enough to run prevent and let our special teams do the work and pull off miracle wins? Or did they think we won those games like a legit team and didn't just chintz our way into the playoffs. A gimmicky team doesn't become legit just by adding a QB... especially a QB who can't get it done when it matters. He'll sneak some wins in the regular season for sure, that's his MO after all, but in the playoffs, when it counts... count him out.

That gaping hole at QB would be there 2-3 years later whether you had Tebow or Manning. So your team will be no different except now its has a better CHANCE of being a SB team.

Also, Manning won a ring. So say what you will about his playoff resume but at the end of the day he is a proven champion.

Denver has a 3 year window to win Super Bowls. Sure, Peyton Manning is coming off a series of neck surgeries but look in the bright side. He's Peyton Manning! 'Nuff said lol. Now, Denver can focus on other things in the draft and free agency like bringing in an Offensive Lineman to help the Pass Block to protect Manning. We all know what Peyton is capable of doing. Also, keep in mind the AFC West is an extremely weak division... (Broncos were division champs with an 8-8 record lol) but anywho, let's see how this upcoming season goes. Good Luck to the Broncos!

Denver has a 3 year window to win Super Bowls. Sure, Peyton Manning is coming off a series of neck surgeries but look in the bright side. He's Peyton Manning! 'Nuff said lol. Now, Denver can focus on other things in the draft and free agency like bringing in an Offensive Lineman to help the Pass Block to protect Manning. We all know what Peyton is capable of doing. Also, keep in mind the AFC West is an extremely weak division... (Broncos were division champs with an 8-8 record lol) but anywho, let's see how this upcoming season goes. Good Luck to the Broncos!

Yes, we do all know what Peyton Manning is capable of doing. Going one and done in the playoffs, choking in big games, and having the team around him win his lone Super Bowl for him (and Rex and the Bears sucking).

Denver is screwed. They've mortgaged their future for a stat-padding regular season QB who is old and coming off of multiple neck surgeries. Not to mention the fact that he hasn't played in an entire year.

keep in mind that Elway didn't win his first Super Bowl until he was 36 and had the same "can't win the big one" following him around until then, and let's not forget that Manning has won a Super Bowl (even tho he did get a lot more help than many people like to remember) just because he hasn't had much playoff success to this point in his career doesn't mean he can't have any in the next few years.

Truth!

We aren't the best team of the 1990's anymore.

Even though the Broncos gave away Tebow, losing Tebow really isn't that big of a loss. Tebow isn't all that good of a QB to begin with. If anything you guys saved yourself an embarrassment of having drafted and keeping Tebow while your team sank into mediocracy. Maybe next year the Broncos can invest in a rookie QB or a young free agent signing and use him as an experiment and have Peyton mentor him and help polish him.

Personally I have never seen Manning as a "Best there ever was" kind of QB one of the best yes. There is an upside to Manning for the Bronco's that being his experience,at this point in time that is the only really verifiable advantage. Been away from the game for a year going to a new team with receivers he has never worked with and he readily admits he isn't 100% to start with. Add to that the changes that will have to be made bye the rest of the Bronco offense to fit his play style and mobility issues doesn't make for a real encouraging picture for Bronco's fans ....at least for the first year.

On the other side of the coin Tebow got the job done this past season but DC's around the league have had a year to come up with ways to deal with him . I wouldn't expect the same level of success for the Bronco's offense next season if Teabow was still under center and hasn't improved his passing skills dramatically.

I can't begin to imagine what Tebowmania is going to be like in New York city !!!! Thats going to be a goat screw like we have never seen before.

keep in mind that Elway didn't win his first Super Bowl until he was 36 and had the same "can't win the big one" following him around until then, and let's not forget that Manning has won a Super Bowl (even tho he did get a lot more help than many people like to remember) just because he hasn't had much playoff success to this point in his career doesn't mean he can't have any in the next few years.

The difference is that Elway was pretty clutch in those first 36 years and made it out of the first round a lot more times.

• Upvote 2

The difference is that Elway was pretty clutch in those first 36 years and made it out of the first round a lot more times.

Who had the better team? And would you not say that a bad team is more likely to be exposed in the playoffs than a good one?

invest in a rookie QB or a young free agent signing and use him as an experiment and have Peyton mentor him and help polish him.

Was already stated it's never worked like that for Peyton's back ups, he doesn't do it for whatever reason.

EDIT: Although Oochy already said those guys were both 6 and 7th round draft picks so ya. i donlt know maybe

Edited by SteelersNation36

Was already stated it's never worked like that for Peyton's back ups, he doesn't do it for whatever reason.

EDIT: Although Oochy already said those guys were both 6 and 7th round draft picks so ya. i donlt know maybe

not only were they 6th/7th rounders, they were drafted when Manning was in his prime, meaning they were drafted to back him up, not to replace him, we haven't seen how Manning operates with a potential successor so anything we can say would really just be speculation

Who had the better team? And would you not say that a bad team is more likely to be exposed in the playoffs than a good one?

Manning has always had an elite offense around him until the last couple years, yet he still finds ways to throw picks and shit when it matters most. Elway was always leading awesome comeback drives.

Manning has always had an elite offense around him until the last couple years, yet he still finds ways to throw picks and shit when it matters most. Elway was always leading awesome comeback drives.

I remember a lot of those. I never counted the Broncos out when Elway was playing.

I think that unless your Coach is mike McCarthy or Mike Holmgren good luck with that polishing bit. Aaron Rodgers has said that he learned infinitely more from his coaches than he learned from Favre because his game is different. McCarthy saw potential and had to completely revamp Aaron Rodgers footwork to make him into the guy he is. Brett did not help him much in the footwork department and what makes rodgers great are 2 totally different things. Favre operated more on the dare to be great philosophy and was everything you could want out of an NFL gun slinger. He had the big arm and feared no defense and would make nay throw any time and let his receiver make a play.

Rodgers is more of the school of though were he does not just throw it up when he is done with his progression and hopes a great player makes a great play. He uses his feet to buy him time to see if anything shakes loose down the field. If not he will scramble for the first. It is two totally different things.

The wild card here is Matt Flynn if he does with what he has done in GB on a limited basis then it is safe to assume that it is really more or less the coaching that the system. The reason I say that is because he is more of the Rodgers Favre Combo he can buy you time with his feet but is not as athletic as Rodgers. Although he does allow his receivers to go up and make plays and in Seattle with their big receivers could work well. he is a guy that got his chance to do well as a back up and made the most of it but was not projected as a starter in this league by anyone, but under McCarthy he has strung some damn good games together.

If it were who you learned under than Kevin Kolb should of at least had a better season than what he was showing. Reid is a guy who can make a running game work damn well. He was not a guy who is proclaimed for his success with QB's. he had Donovan who in his prime was a damn good QB and yet Kolb didn't learn much from him or Vick and stunk it up. Kafka is so so and would probably not start for any team in the league right now with exception to the dolphins is Garrard is hurt. All that said holmgren is a good offensive mind and obviously has a great system but not one that grooms QBS.

Also Bill Walsh was excellent in the QB section but even without Montana I think Steve would have been great. Was it cool to see how a consummate pro deals with pressure, I am sure that helped. That taken into consideration though I am sure he could have done what he did on many teams.

I guess all that was to say I think the mentor part is extremely overblown and really depends mainly on the coaches and next the system you are in and far less on who is ahead of you on the depth chart. Also with the mentor rule in effect how would you explain back ups who become better than the starter after they go to a different team.

Everybody in this thread who is saying "but Manning has a ring". Manning also had a terrible post season and I mean terrible also he was by no means clutch. In the 06 superbowl run he had 3 TDs compared to 7 Ints. He had one game where his Qb rating was above 80. His completion percentage was also terrible which Included two games where it was 50% and 58%, While he did have a game where it was at 80% he also threw 3 INTS ( Wildcard game vs the Chiefs).

Manning is not a "proven champion". He has to thank his lucky stars for having the combo of Addai and Rhodes (Dominic Rhodes should have been the superbowl MVP but that is a different story)He should also thank his D which saved his sorry ass from having another one and done post season.

In the 2006 playoffs the Colts D had forced 13 turnovers and also did not allow and one hundred yard rusher. They only allowed 300 hundred total yards once and that was against the Patriots and never had a game where the opposing QB threw for more than 250 yards. Peyton Manning was playing some of the worst football of his career and the Colts still won the Superbowl thanks to their rushing and their D.

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 2

Everybody in this thread who is saying "but Manning has a ring". Manning also had a terrible post season and I mean terrible also he was by no means clutch. In the 06 superbowl run he had 3 TDs compared to 7 Ints. He had one game where his Qb rating was above 80. His completion percentage was also terrible which Included two games where it was 50% and 58%, While he did have a game where it was at 80% he also threw 3 INTS ( Wildcard game vs the Chiefs).

Manning is not a "proven champion". He has to thank his lucky stars for having the combo of Addai and Rhodes (Dominic Rhodes should have been the superbowl MVP but that is a different story)He should also thank his D which saved his sorry ass from having another one and done post season.

In the 2006 playoffs the Colts D had forced 13 turnovers and also did not allow and one hundred yard rusher. They only allowed 300 hundred total yards once and that was against the Patriots and never had a game where the opposing QB threw for more than 250 yards. Peyton Manning was playing some of the worst football of his career and the Colts still won the Superbowl thanks to their rushing and their D.

Bow down before this man.

I have to admit to thinking along the same lines as alot of the nay-sayers. I'm not convinced signing Manning is going to instantly turn them into perennial SB contenders as long as he's there.

Midway alrready summed up my thoughts on Manning so I won't repeat what he already posted. Manning is probably a future HOFer, but his career has also been heavily romanticized by the NFL and the fans. He has alot of clout behind his name, but I've never been one to bet on a name alone.

As has been said he's 36, which unless your name is Favre is well past most QBs shelf life. He's coming off multiple neck surgeries, and although he's cleared to play and supposedly "looked good" in his workouts, I don't personally trust his durability at this point. I don't know what Denver's Oline is like, but if it folds at all Manning isn't going to last more than a couple games.

Manning's physical ability aside, there's also the fact that he's an extremely different QB than Tim Tebow. You're going to have to completely switch offensive styles from... whatever that was you were running for Tebow to something Manning will be comfortable with. I can't say for certain but I've heard it said from several coaches/players that switching offenses is harder than switching defenses. So you'll have to hope that goes smoothly.

Should Manning perform well and last, and should your offensive restructure go well I could see you having some "successful" seasons (like 9-7, or 10-6). Manning's presence will likely "inspire" your team to play their best for a QB considered one of the G.O.A.T. so it's likely you'll see improved play from your supporting cast under him. I can even see you winning your division with Manning. But with all the superior teams in the AFC I just don't see Manning suddenly singlehandedly making you the #1 or #2 seed in the conference, so you'll most likely have to take the long road through the playoffs if you make it there at all. Your chance of a ring under Manning is, I believe, improved from what it was under Tebow, but far from guaranteed.

However, there is good news. If Manning works out as planned and you win a Lombardi or two? Awesome! If he don't have it anymore or gets injured... well you'll probably have a top ten pick that year so you'll be able to draft a young "future of the franchise" QB. So, I guess my final verdict is this is likely a improvement for you, just not as big of one as you might be expecting. Buyer Beware.

I really don't see how the future would be any more bright with Tebow starting...

I get that having Manning may keep you away from picking a possible franchise QB because more then likely you won't be picking in the top 10 or 15 but still...

People seems to think Tebow is utterly incapable of improving as a passer. I mean it's too late for that now, but they act like 2011 is indictative of what his whole career would have been like.

What makes everybody think Mannning will drastically improve the Broncos or for that matter think he is even healthy enough to do so?

Nobody knows really, and who's to say he won't drastically improve the Broncos... last years Broncos team was a good QB away from making it to the Super Bowl... if lame ass Tebow can do it. ESPECIALLY MANNING CAN DO IT!

Nobody knows really, and who's to say he won't drastically improve the Broncos... last years Broncos team was a good QB away from making it to the Super Bowl... if lame ass Tebow can do it. ESPECIALLY MANNING CAN DO IT!

Which Manning is not in the playoffs. Fun Fact Manning only has a 60% completion percentage. Fucking Joe Flacco has a better completion percentage in the post season than Manning. You mortgage your future in hopefully winning with a 36 year old QB who had 4 neck surgeries and was also on the decline before he got injured .

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Would you take Tim Tebow over Peyton Manning, MOTM? Because that's all that this is about.