Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phailadelphia

Trayvon Martin

Guest Phailadelphia

Let me preface this post by saying that though I lean liberal on a lot of issues, the 2nd amendment has never been something I oppose and I am a fan of the right to protect yourself with an armed weapon. That being said, I don't think there's any question the man in question here, George Zimmerman, was on a mission - racial or otherwise - to overreach his authority and try to be a hero. There are absolutely zero signs pointing to this kid being a troublemaker. For those who are unfamiliar with the scandal, the two stories quoted below explain:

Read this first: (it's like 4 pages long. The quoted text is only the first page)

SANFORD -- The people at the Retreat at Twin Lakes had been missing bikes, grills and a few times thought strangers were casing their town houses.

When the homeowners association wanted to start a neighborhood watch, only one man stepped up: George Zimmerman, the 28-year-old who admitted to shooting an unarmed Miami Gardens teenager and who is now the focal point of a race-related scandal of national proportions.

Interviews with neighbors reveal a pleasant young man passionate about neighborhood security who took it upon himself to do nightly patrols while he walked his dog.

Licensed to carry a firearm and a student of criminal justice, Zimmerman went door-to-door asking residents to be on the lookout, specifically referring to young black men who appeared to be outsiders, and warned that some were caught lurking, neighbors said. The self-appointed captain of the neighborhood watch program is credited with cracking some crimes, and thwarting others.

But the killing of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin left the boy’s family and attorneys convinced that the volunteer developed a twisted sense of entitlement, one that gave him a false sense of authority to enforce the rule of law in his tiny gated community. Trayvon’s family’s attorneys believe that led to racial profiling and murder.

“He would circle the block and circle it; it was weird,” said Teontae Amie, 17. “If he had spotted me, he’d probably ask me if I lived here. He was known for being really strict.”

Zimmerman called police 46 times since Jan. 1, 2011 to report disturbances, break-ins, windows left open and other incidents. Nine of those times, he saw someone or something suspicious.

“Hey, we’ve had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there’s a real suspicious guy at Retreat View Circle. This guy looks like he’s up to no good,” Zimmerman told a dispatcher on Feb. 26, the night of Trayvon’s death.

According to 911 recordings released late Friday by Sanford police, Zimmerman said the person was walking slowly, looked drugged and appeared to be looking at people’s houses. Police would later learn that Trayvon had gone to 7-Eleven during the NBA All Star game halftime to get Skittles and Arizona iced tea.

“These a--holes always get away,” Zimmerman complained.

What happened next is unclear, and has already reverberated nationwide. Calls to 911 alerted police to a scuffle and someone crying for help. In one, the chilling howl stopped after the clear, crisp blast of a bullet. Trayvon was lying face down on the ground near a pathway that runs through the townhouse community.

One 911 caller sobbed to the dispatcher over not having helped the young man who wailed.

Zimmerman told police that was him crying for help and that Trayvon started the fight. He claimed self-defense and was not charged, flaring deep-seated racial tensions between blacks and police, who have a long history of distrust. On at least two prior occasions, the Sanford Police Department was accused of giving favorable treatment to relatives of officers involved in violent encounters with blacks.

In 2010, police waited seven weeks to arrest a lieutenant’s son who was caught on video sucker-punching a homeless black man.

In 2005, two security guards — one the son of a longtime Sanford police officer and the other a department volunteer — killed a black man they said was trying to run them over. Black leaders complained of a lackluster investigation. The guards ultimately were acquitted.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/17/2700249/shooter-of-trayvon-martin-a-habitual.html#storylink=cpy

And then this:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/03/20/148994809/trayvon-martins-last-phone-call-contradicts-shooters-claim-attorney-says?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Trayvon Martin's Last Phone Call Contradicts Shooter's Claim, Attorney Says

George Zimmerman's statement to police about what 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was up to on Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla., "is completely contradicted" by the boy's cellphone records, an attorney for Martin's family just said during a news conference in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Attorney Benjamin Crump said the African-American teenager had been talking to friends all day and, as first reported earlier today by ABC News, was on the phone with a young girl when he was confronted by, in Crump's words, "neighborhood association loose cannon" Zimmerman.

The girl, Crump said, says Martin was just trying to get back to the house he and his father had been visiting when Zimmerman came into the picture. She heard Martin ask "why are you following me?" Crump said. Another voice, according to the girl, asked at least twice "what are you doing around here?"

Moments later, Martin was shot in the chest.

The 28-year-old Zimmerman, who had called police to report seeing a "suspicious" person and was advised not to follow that person, has told police he acted in self defense.

As we've been reporting, Martin's death has reignited a national conversation about race and racial profiling. And it has led to charges from Martin's family and their supporters that local police failed to adequately investigate. "Arrest killer. He killed this child in cold blood," Crump said a moment ago.

Zimmerman has not been charged with a crime. The federal Justice Department is now getting involved, and the local state attorney announced this morning that he's asked a grand jury to investigate.

What are your thoughts on this? I posted this in politics/religion because of the race/2nd amendment implications surrounding the controversy as opposed to it being just another news story.

Edited by Phailadelphia

The hero status, even in his own mind, while not far from accurate is so twisted and sick.

I am not really sure if it was racially charged... But you had a guy in a position of authority (if you even want to call neighborhood watch that...lol) who took his assumed "power" to an exceedingly dangerous level.

I would love to turn back time and just get inside this guys head that stormy night. What exactly was he thinking throughout this process?

What I know for sure is that George Zimmerman AT THE VERY LEAST, needs to be taken into custody. It's a scary thought thinking about him trotting around that neighborhood of his as a free man.

Guest Phailadelphia

I am not really sure if it was racially charged... But you had a guy in a position of authority (if you even want to call neighborhood watch that...lol) who took his assumed "power" to an exceedingly dangerous level.

I would love to turn back time and just get inside this guys head that stormy night. What exactly was he thinking throughout this process?

What I know for sure is that George Zimmerman AT THE VERY LEAST, needs to be taken into custody. It's a scary thought thinking about him trotting around that neighborhood of his as a free man.

This is almost exactly how I feel about it as well. He was told repeatedly by both the dispatch officer he was on the phone with as well as his neighborhood watch police coordinator in previous meetings that he shouldn't be trying to take the law into his own hands...yet he did it anyway. Repeatedly. Rather than standing up for justice this guy has gone total vigilante on his community.

Edited by Phailadelphia

This case has been getting a lot of media in Florida. Based on everything I've read so far, I have no idea why Zimmerman hasn't been charged with anything yet.

From what I have seen the authorities haven't done anything yet because there weren't any witnesses to contradict his self defense claim.

Guest Phailadelphia

From what I have seen the authorities haven't done anything yet because there weren't any witnesses to contradict his self defense claim.

^ This. There was no evidence (until today) that he wasn't acting in self-defense.

Some Florida officials admitted it would be nearly impossible to convict him of anything due to Florida's self-defense laws. The affidavit given by Martin's girlfriend today obviously changes that but otherwise he gets off scot-free. This is giving the pro-gun control crowd lots of ammo (no pun intended) too. It opens the door to literally get away with murder.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Nothing for vigilantism? Isn't that a crime in most places... Dunno how I feel about this, but I'd be uncomfortable with him walking the streets in my neighbourhood, let alone anyone elses.

There are so many troubling things about this.

I understand the residents getting tired of their items being stolen, but having one guy step forward seems like an irresponsible act to begin with. Plus the guy was carrying a gun. I would think "electing" one guy put this guy in way over his head.

He made some racial comments allegedly and is a minority himself. I am sure the police do not want the latino vs black thing intensified there.

The media started off very quick with this calling it a white on black crime. They sort of jumped the gun with that and did shoddy journalism because in fact he is not white. Sometimes I think the media wants a story. And this story just keeps getting worse as the police look pretty bad in many respects.

Edited by Tarkenton

Guest Phailadelphia

The Sanford Chief of Police has resigned temporarily as the lawsuit runs its course.

It's a pretty screwed up situation. In all honesty there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to get the guy convicted for a long period, if at all. This is likely to result in the '07 law being done away with. Even though I like the law for various reasons, there's way too much room for it to be abused.

Trayvon was the godfather of one of my co-worker's son and she told me the story before I read about it. Very sad. She told me he was coming back from the 7-11, talking on the phone with his gf and this dude was following him slowly in his car. When Treyvon took cover from the rain under someones house entrance, that's when this dude approached and the confrontation began. Very scary to think some vigilante can be out there and easily take things into his own hands like this.

R.I.P Trayvon Martin

Edited by KiLaSix9

Trayvon was the godfather of one of my co-worker's son and she told me the story before I read about it. Very sad. She told me he was coming back from the 7-11, talking on the phone with his gf and this dude was following him slowly in his car. When Treyvon took cover from the rain under someones house entrance, that's when this dude approached and the confrontation began. Very scary to think some vigilante can be out there and easily take things into his own hands like this.

R.I.P Trayvon Martin

How does she know it went down like this?

How does she know it went down like this?

From what his GF recounted from his conversation on the phone. He was basically telling her, "Some guy keeps following me in his car", "this guy is trippin" and then "its pouring, I'm gonna take cover real quick." Then she heard the confrontation begin over the phone until he hangs up I believe.

Very sad for the family. I would hate to be watching a game with my son and he go out for food and end up being shot. I would be losing my mind

MIAMI -- Dwyane Wade and LeBron James were only a few miles away from Trayvon Martin on Feb. 26, participating in the NBA All-Star Game on the night the unarmed black teenager wearing a hooded sweatshirt was shot to death by a neighborhood crime-watch volunteer.

They never knew the teenager, but on Friday they decided it was time to speak out.

Wade posted a photo of himself from a previous photo shoot wearing a hooded sweatshirt, otherwise known as a hoodie, to his Twitter and Facebook pages on Friday morning.

A couple hours later, James posted another photo -- this one of the Heat team, all wearing hoodies, their heads bowed, their hands stuffed into their pockets. The photo was taken at the team hotel, and Heat coach Erik Spoelstra called it "a powerful move."

Among the hashtags James linked to the photo: "WeWantJustice."

"As a father, this hits home," said Wade, who has 10- and 4-year-old sons.

ESPN

nba_lebron1_600.jpg

I'm all for people uniting together behind a good cause, but the level of attention this case is receiving is starting to bother me a bit.

WARNING: Controversial statements ahead. Do not read or deal with it.

First of all, if it's simply the racism that angers you about this case, welcome to the real world. Racism, unfortunately, is everywhere. But making a big deal of the situation and drawing attention to it do not necessarily help. As Morgan Freeman said, how are we going to end racism? Stop talking about it.

Second of all, why is the world up in arms over one dead black kid? Obviously it's a tragedy that an innocent 17-year-old boy is shot dead. But the sad truth is that kids--and people--die every day. White people kill white people every day. Black people kill black people every day. But when a white person kills a black person it's a bigger deal?

Finally, I have a big problem with people who want to convict George Zimmerman of first-degree murder at this very instant. Based on what evidence? I agree that the 911 phone call is extremely suspicious and I have as much a feeling that Zimmerman is a racist bastard who shot Martin out of hate as anyone else, but if you believe you should convict people of crimes based on purely suspicious evidence, you set a very dangerous precedent. There's a reason our legal system revolves around "innocent until proven guilty." People want to know why Zimmerman hasn't been charged yet? Because there's no evidence. I'm not a lawyer, have never been to law school, have never been interested in a pre-law program; but unless there's some further information on Zimmerman that the media has yet to report, any prosecutor knows they'd just be wasting taxpayer money on a futile attempt to convict him.

So, if people want to mourn Trayvon Martin, they should. But people who are crying foul over a broken legal system? Give me a break.

TGP%20Yep%20Gif.gif

Zimmerman is probably going to get off with nothing. He shouldn't, but he will. Like someone already said, this will result in the self defense law being changed somehow. I believe deadly force should be legal in self defense, but the law can and has been taken advantage of when it shouldn't have.

My co-worker was telling me that Trayvon was actually a drug dealer and not the best kid according to his facebook. Also, the reason Zimmerman's face was all bloody was because Trayvon struck first.

Any source or truth to these claims? I'd believe it in a second, but I don't want to look stupid without a reliable source or facts presented with it.

My co-worker was telling me that Trayvon was actually a drug dealer and not the best kid according to his facebook. Also, the reason Zimmerman's face was all bloody was because Trayvon struck first.

Any source or truth to these claims? I'd believe it in a second, but I don't want to look stupid without a reliable source or facts presented with it.

I dunno man. Treyvon wasn't exactly a big dude or anything compared to Zimmerman so I don't buy any idea where Zimmerman was getting his as beat and felt so threatened that he had to shoot a kid.

Guest Phailadelphia

1. The accounts told to reporters by Trayvon's teachers don't suggest he was a drug dealer or even a troubled kid. One said he "majors in cheerfulness."

2. Zimmerna's face wasn't bloodied or anything of that nature. The initial police reports showed zero evidence of any kind of struggle between the two.

Your co-worker is incorrect on both counts. By the way, Zimmerman had something like 90 lbs on Trayvon.

IMO, after Zimmerman stepped out of the car everything from that point on is his fault. You don't provoke someone into a confrontation then shoot them and claim self defense. That's complete bullshit. And really, whether this kid was a dealer or banger is entirely irrelevant. Fact of the matter is, he was walking through a neighborhood to his father's fiance's house with a bag of skittles in one hand and an iced tea in the other, gets unfairly profiled by an out of control vigilante, and is murdered.

Some witnesses also stated they heard Trayvon calling for help before being shot.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Some witnesses also stated they heard Trayvon calling for help before being shot.

You can hear some screams before the gunshot on some of the 911 calls.

Fact of the matter is, he was walking through a neighborhood to his father's fiance's house with a bag of skittles in one hand and an iced tea in the other, gets unfairly profiled by an out of control vigilante, and is murdered.

That'd be great if someone could make it stick in court, but they can't.

I just want them to do something. I'm so sick of hearing about this. You got Spike Lee posting New Black Panther Party "Wanted Dead or Alive" ads on Twitter, Miami Heat posing with their hoods up and a constant influx of news concerning this issue.

This crime has turned into this huge racial issue that--if it continues to heat up--could cause another riot.