• James Harrison
  3. 3. Who is the better player?

• Fred Jackson
    • Justin Tuck
  4. 4. Who is the better player?

5. 5. Who is the better player?

• Daryl Smith
    • Cortland Finnegan

This is it. The tournament starts here. The round robin is finally over, and 69 players have a shot to take the title of best player in the NFL. Can Troy Polamalu return as champion, or will we have new finalists entirely? The strongest, fastest and most intelligent players are left, and only the best will continue on in this single elimination tournament. No more second chances for these guys, the battle starts now.

Remember, you're voting for the best player right now. I only ask you not to factor in upside and potential in your votes. Vote for what these players are showing now, and what they have shown in their careers thus far. Topics will close at 8 PM eastern the day after I make the topic unless that amount of time is less than 24 hours. Otherwise, the polls will just last for 24 hours.

Our matches:

64. Tony Gonzalez, TE, Atlanta Falcons

Carolina+Panthers+v+Atlanta+Falcons+1s6s10j9EN-l.jpg

2011 Stats: 80 catches, 875 yards, 7 TD's

vs.

65. Steven Jackson, HB, St. Louis Rams

steven_jackson-611.jpg

2011 Stats: 260 carries, 1145 yards, 5 TD's | 42 catches, 333 yards, 1 TD | 2 fumbles

---

63. Ray McDonald, DE, San Francisco 49ers

Ray-McDonald-2.jpg

2011 Stats: 32 tackles, 11 Assists, 5.5 sacks, 3 Forced Fumbles, 1 Fumble Recovery, 2 PD's

vs.

66. James Harrison, OLB, Pittsburgh Steelers

James-Harrison.jpg

2011 Stats: 50 tackles, 12 Assists, 9 sacks, 2 Forced Fumbles, 1 PD

---

62. Fred Jackson, HB, Buffalo Bills

fred-jackson.jpg

2011 Stats: 170 carries, 934 yards, 6 TD's | 39 catches, 442 yards | 2 Fumbles

vs.

67. Justin Tuck, DE, New York Giants

Justin-Tuck.jpg

2011 Stats: 30 tackles, 11 assists, 5 sacks, 1 Forced Fumble, 4 PD's

---

61. Tony Romo, QB, Dallas Cowboys

Tony-Romo.jpg

2011 Stats: 346/522 66.3 Comp%, 4184 yards, 8.0 YPA, 31 TD's 10 INT's

vs.

68. Kyle Williams, NT, Buffalo Bills

Buffalo+Bills+defensive+tackle+Kyle+Williams+%2895%29.jpg

2011 Stats: 4 tackles, 5 assists, 1 PD

---

60. Daryl Smith, OLB, Jacksonville Jaguars

Daryl-Smith.jpg

2011 Stats: 74 tackles, 33 assists, 3.5 sacks, 2 Forced Fumbles, 1 INT, 8 PD's

vs.

69. Cortland Finnegan, CB, Tennessee Titans / St. Louis Rams

finnegan.jpg

2011 Stats: 58 tackles, 17 assists, 1 sack, 1 fumble recovery, 1 INT, 11 PD's

---

Get your votes in.

Tony Gonzalez vs. Steven Jackson

From here, all the matches are pretty difficult to decide on. The reason I lean Gonzalez is because he's such a reliable option even at his age. He was the third best tight end in the NFC and has not shown any signs of slowing down. He's just more dominant as a weapon than S-Jax is.

Ray McDonald vs. James Harrison

As much as I like McDonald, he really benefits from being in San Fran's D. A great player in his own right, but Justin Smith and Patrick Willis doing so much for that D that if you're even decent, you'll play well by proxy. James Harrison takes this because he's such a versatile 3-4 OLB. Most just pass rush, but Harrison is a force in the run game, and not bad in coverage either.

Fred Jackson vs. Justin Tuck

I had a hell of a time with this one, Fred Jackson was pretty much the top running back in the league last year until he got hurt, and had a case for being Buffalo's MVP. Tuck meanwhile was invisible during the regular season, while guys like JPP and Umenyoira did their work, then he comes on in the playoffs and completely messes with everyone's shit. I took Jackson because he did more for the Bills than Tuck did for the Giants, at least last year.

Tony Romo vs. Kyle Williams

This one was easier. Romo is coming off his best season yet, and save a few unfortunate losses, the Cowboys were very nearly a playoff team. He might just be the next Peyton with the way he turns no names into stud receivers. Laurent Robinson thanks you Romo. On the other hand, Kyle Williams had an amazing 2010, but was missing for pretty much all of 2011 and didn't do much in his limited action.

Daryl Smith vs. Cortland Finnegan

Didn't we see this one? Finnegan barely won the last match they played 5-4. I'm leaning Daryl Smith because of his versatility and the effect he has on his defense. Football Outsiders constantly has Daryl Smith in the lead of their defensive stops tally. He's a well rounded player with a ton of physicality and no glaring weakness in his game. Finnegan may be a physical corner who excels in coverage as well, but when I think about it Smith is a better linebacker compared to his peers, than Finn is a corner to his. Even if it a brutally difficult decision.

Give her a big bump