Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Packers sign C Jeff Saturday

Awesome stop gap solution for the loss of Scott Wells. The Pack don't sign many older players but this was a good one for sure.

Awesome stop gap solution for the loss of Scott Wells. The Pack don't sign many older players but this was a good one for sure.

HOLY JESUS FUCK YES.

WE SIGNED A FREE AGENT.

AND HE'S NOT A PITIFUL CAREER BACKUP.

• Upvote 1

Nice move for Green Bay because they have draft flexibility. They don't have to be aggressive in trading up for Peter Konz, and can most likely get themselves a pass rushing OLB.

^ That's exactly why I wanted to sign him or Myers (or re-sign Wells) in FA.

I was worried that we'd trade up or trade down for a center in the draft if we didn't sign somebody who could start straight away.

Wooooo. Not sure how good he is going to be... But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited. No O-Lineman in the first round!!! Woo! And Jeff has been one of my favorite players for many years now. Let's hope he has a couple year left!

Edited by Favre4Ever

I mean it's just more unlikely we take an OL early, now. We still could take Konz if he gets to us. Saturday is like a 2 year replacement, max.

Still, really happy about this.

I mean it's just more unlikely we take an OL early, now. We still could take Konz if he gets to us. Saturday is like a 2 year replacement, max.

Still, really happy about this.

I doubt he falls to us though... If he does, it will be one interesting scenario to ponder. My guess is we use a 4th or 5th on a Center prospect.

I was really happy with this move. We get an experienced, high caliber center and we don't have to address the need in the draft. I can't wait to see how he does next season :D

So we get a stop gap centre that is better than the one we lost.... Will take that for sure. I love this pick up means we can focus on the pass rush DE/OLB problem in the first round instead of a Centre.

Thank you TT for making FA interesting for once.

Big FA for you guys. You guys have signed Saturday and MUIR :troll:

Yeah. And we're even in the talks with a 3rd person (maybe even 4th). It's incredible.

Manny Lawson, Dave Tollefson, and Anthony Hargrove are still on our radar as far as free agents go.

Manny Lawson, Dave Tollefson, and Anthony Hargrove are still on our radar as far as free agents go.

I think Lawson would be a great signing for you guys. He doesn't get a lot of credit because he never piled up the sack numbers, but he still generated pass rush and got pressure on the opposing QB. Pair him with the Claymaker to clean up on the sacks and you guys will be fine.

Ya, I'd love Manny. I think he will end up signing somewhere else for more money though. :yep:

Anyway...

Saturday had dinner with coach Mike McCarthy at the Republic Chop House in Green Bay, where the two were able to form a solid bond. Then, offensive line coach James Campen took over in the film room with Saturday and the two went at it like they were preparing for a playoff game.

"I had a great meeting with Coach Campen and Coach McCarthy," Saturday said via phone from Florida, where he was attending NFL Players Association meetings. "I felt like they really wanted me.

"We watched film, Campy and I, specifically about what they do different than what we did (with the Colts) and what would be different. Then we watched film of me playing and we talked about how I would fit into it."

Saturday said he was extremely impressed with the way Campen described the way the two would be able to help each other be better and that became a huge selling point for him. That, and the fact he and his family felt very comfortable with the Green Bay community and its proximity to his current home in Indianapolis.

He said after 13 years, he's excited to be working with a new offense and was open to learning new ways of doing the same things.

"I told him (Campen), I want to be coached," Saturday said. "There isn't a point where you have everything figured out and you can't do things better. The things I saw, I'm very excited about.

"They have a great offensive line and some really good, young players. They won 15 games last year; it's not like I have to add a lot to it. But I think I can offer leadership, and being a veteran I can help the offensive line blossom into players they want to be."

Can't wait for Saturday to suit up in the green and gold! Let's win him another Super Bowl!!!

The Packers have benched C Jeff Saturday in favor of Evan Dietrich-Smith.

This may be the end of the line for Saturday, who turned 37 in June and is owed nearly $4 million in 2013 salary and bonuses. The Packers had not been pleased with his run blocking. As NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal has noted, Saturday currently leads all NFL offensive linemen in Pro Bowl voting, which strongly reinforces the notion that Pro Bowl voting is a complete sham.

Source: ESPN Milwaukee

Oh boy. This should be interesting.

Look at all the excitement in this thread...now Saturday's soon to be a faint memory.

Not that Saturday was good but Dietrich Smith is fucking trash too... Lose lose situation.

EDS was definitely trash when he played G. Let's see what he does at C. Jeff wasn't that good, but.. we could be downgrading. lol

I had high expectations with this move and it hasn't worked out. I'm not sure that Dietrich-Smith can do any better but we'll see.

Packers C Jeff Saturday is expected to retire.

Saturday signed a two-year deal last offseason and started the first 14 games before he was benched in favor of Evan Dietrich-Smith. The small, undersized 37-year-old was pushed around in the run game. Even if he doesn't hang up the cleats, Saturday is fully unexpected to be back in Green Bay.

Source: ESPN Milwaukee