Turry

Seattle Seahawks QB Battle mega thread

Team sources tell the National Football Post they "wouldn’t be surprised" if Tarvaris Jackson beat out Matt Flynn for the Seahawks' starting quarterback job.

We're (very) skeptical. Coach Pete Carroll emphasizes competition at every position, but Flynn wasn't given $10 million guaranteed because the Seahawks were happy with Jackson's 79.2 quarterback rating in 2011. The dice will be loaded in Flynn's favor, and on the off chance Jackson does earn the starting job during camp, he'll be on an exceptionally short leash.

Related: Matt Flynn

Source: National Football Post

Edited by BLUE

The hiring of Flynn is a huge message to Tjax that his ass is in the frying pan. Tjax does have the advantage of having a year in the system, as well as being the incumbant starter that means basically the job is his to lose. However, Flynn is not coming to Seattle to play backup. He'll be doing everything he can to take Tjax's job, and with as much hype and expectation as he has Tjax is going to have to play some serious ball to keep from being dethroned.

Carroll and Shneider have shown by now that they aren't afraid to make the hard calls for the future of the team. There will be no hand holding here. No favoritism. If FLynn outplays Tjax then Carroll will start him. The only question is CAN Flynn outplay Tjax?

If Flynn is anything like advertized he should be able to outplay a guy like Tjax easily. He has the skill set, he's had time to learn behind one of the best QBs in the game, as well as training under one of the best QB coaching staffs the NFL has ever had. He said he felt comfortable in Seattle, and we run a WCO just like the Packers. So even though Tjax has had a year under center it might not matter. If Flynn shows even half of what he did against the Lions the job is going to be his almost uncontested.

TJax on the other hand, has had a year to learn the system here, which is the same as he played under in Minnesota. So he has the experience, but the question is has he improved enough to beat Flynn? He showed some improvement last year, but he still wasn't more than below-average to mediocre. After all this time we've likely aread seen his ceiling. Also he's coming off of shoulder surgery which could affect his ability to throw. Not to mention this isnt the first time Tjax has had to fight for his spot. He had to do it over and over on the Vikings and always lost. Even if he can summon the ability to beat Flynn, can he handle the mental stress of the competition? Especially with all the hype Flynn has? Or will he break down and step aside?

As things stand I like Flynn's chances alot better than Tjax. However, only time will tell the true answer.

Edited by Jayrus

If Jackson is going to outplay Matt Flynn (which I find unlikely), he is going to have to be playing some absolutely outstanding football.

And if that is the case, he deserves the nod. Until he is no longer playing outstanding football, at the very least.

Always can tell a Turry thread by the question mark :laugh:

If Jackson is going to outplay Matt Flynn (which I find unlikely), he is going to have to be playing some absolutely outstanding football.

And if that is the case, he deserves the nod. Until he is no longer playing outstanding football, at the very least.

I disagree, if Flynn is outplayed by T-Jack then the Seahawks will be drafting a QB in the first round next year.

I don't get this so called upcoming "quarterback dilemma". I mean, Jackson has shown me absolutely nothing that would lead me to believe he's capable of being an NFL starter. You give me a game where he threw the ball as effectively as most starters do now days and I'll say I'm wrong. But the fact that the Seahawks would go out and spend money on Matt Flynn (A guy who CLEARLY wanted a starting job or he wouldn't have left Green Bay) and then go ahead and start a mediocre quarterback is kind of outrageous. I took the Flynn signing as a notion that the Seahawks are ready to move on from Jackson.

Personally I'm thinking this "competition" is just a move to appease Tjax. You know? Let him "compete" and give him a shot to keep his job instead of just replacing him. He was servicable last year (and by servicable I mean played like a solid NFL backup) and having had a year in the system, and being it's his job on the line, I do feel he at least deserves a shot at keeping his job. I doubt he'll be able to but he does have the right to try.

Edited by Jayrus

I disagree, if Flynn is outplayed by T-Jack then the Seahawks will be drafting a QB in the first round next year.

Maybe, maybe not. If Jackson gets the nod (as the article states) it will be a very short lease allowed... I doubt Jackson takes advantage of his good fortune for long, and Flynn will get a handful of starts at the very least. If he (Flynn) still looks pretty bad.. Then they may consider a new QB.

Flynn is making 8M he is the starter Caroll isn't going to openly admit to this besides if he can't beat out T-Jack then he isn't the answer.

Maybe, maybe not. If Jackson gets the nod (as the article states) it will be a very short lease allowed... I doubt Jackson takes advantage of his good fortune for long, and Flynn will get a handful of starts at the very least. If he (Flynn) still looks pretty bad.. Then they may consider a new QB.

Honestly I would say that if Flynn doesn't play well this year they have to draft a QB. The Seahawks have an up and coming defense, they have a strong running game. Take advantage of your window. I understand that teams are hesitant to move on from QB's they've given a lot of money to but I think time is more valuable than his 8 million dollar a year.

Again, I'm not knocking Flynn. Personally, I think he's going to be a good QB but if you can't out play Tavaris Jackson then you have absolutely no place in this league as a starter. Why waste a season or more with a shitty QB?

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's John Clayton reported on SportsCenter Sunday that Tarvaris Jackson will receive the first quarterback rep when the Seahawks open training camp late next month.

Jackson is the incumbent, and Clayton says higher-priced Matt Flynn has some work to do to overtake him. "(Flynn) hasn't wowed anybody in all the offseason program. And because of that, when they start training camp, Tarvaris Jackson will be taking the first snap," Clayton said. "... It's still gonna be a three-way competition. Because of that, Flynn's going to have to pick things up and wow everybody or at least take control of it during camp. He's not done it yet." Jun 24 - 3:38 PM

:rofl:
  • Upvote 1

Pete Carroll is weird.

I still expect Flynn to destroy Jackson in this so called competition. But if he can't, he should probably retire.

If Flynn is outplayed by Jackson, that just proves just about everyone opinion correct. Flynn is nothing more than a 1 game wonder.

If Flynn is outplayed by Jackson, that just proves just about everyone opinion correct. Flynn is nothing more than a 1 game wonder.

idk about one game wonder... Dont feel like looking at the box score, but he played pretty well against the Pats.

Based on just OTA's and minicamp you can't even make a valid decision on who the starter would be. Assuming this is anything but motivational is absurd.

Not to mention, Flynn is in an entirely new system. Give him time.

I fully expect him to be starting day one.

** Update **

Matt Flynn to start preseason week 2 @ Denever Broncos. Per 710 ESPN Radio Seattle. Pete Carroll had stated earlier than it was up in the air which QB would start each preseason game, and both Flynn and Russell Wilson have each split the first team reps in practice 50/50.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000050497/article/tarvaris-jackson-of-seahawks-subject-of-trade-talks?module=HP11_headline_stack

The writing is on the wall in Seattle, where Tarvaris Jackson's days as a starting quarterback for the Seahawks are all but over.

Seattle's front office is "talking to a couple of teams" about trading Jackson, a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL.com and NFL Network reporter Albert Breer on Wednesday.

ProFootballTalk.com first reported the Jackson trade talks.

Reuter: Newbies not looking back

Melvin Ingram has been gangbusters for the Chargers and Russell Wilson has soared with the Seahawks. Chad Reuter looks at fast-starting rookies. More ...

The sticking point is Jackson's $4 million salary, hefty enough to scare potential suitors away. According to the source, Seattle is waiting patiently for the preseason to play itself out, allowing injuries to turn quarterback-needy teams into potential trade partners.

Coach Pete Carroll has played it safe with Jackson, airlifting him out of the team's three-man quarterback competition, which now becomes a race between probable starter Matt Flynn and rookie Russell Wilson.

Jackson didn't take a snap in the preseason opener and Carroll announced Tuesday that he won't play Saturday against the Denver Broncos. Flynn will start and Wilson will play the second half, indicating the Seahawks don't want to risk injury to Jackson.

That plan could backfire. Jackson is well-liked by teammates, but front offices around the league have little reason to fall in love with the veteran. Promising work in games could help his stock, but teams also know what to expect. He's a middle-tier starter with a thin track record for winning games, one reason "sources" in these situations often emerge from within a player's camp.

Carroll, if nothing else, knows how to keep it interesting at quarterback.

Edited by dutchff7

I laughed when I heard some seahawk fan tell me that we didn't use Jackson correctly in Minnesota and that he's a great quarterback. Doesn't seem all that great now does he? LOL, sidenote Russell looked really good in preseason game #1. With the contract that Flynn got I was sure he was going to be the starter for years to come, but now I'm not so sure.

Nobody should give up shit for him. If they want him as depth, they know Seattle will cut him eventually.