Sign in to follow this  
Tridentdawgpound

Bobby Petrino out at Arkansas

Bobby Petrino will not return as head football coach at Arkansas, multiples sources have told ESPN.com's Chris Low.

The university has called an 8:15 p.m. ET press conference at which time athletic director Jeff Long will announce Petrino will not be back.

SEC blog

SEC ESPN.com's Chris Low and Edward Aschoff write about all things SEC football in the conference blog.

More:

• ESPN.com's GatorNation

• Blog network: College Football Nation

The 51-year-old Petrino was put on paid leave last week after he didn't tell his boss right away that a 25-year-old female football program employee was riding with him during an April 1 motorcycle crash. Petrino, who is married with four children, also admitted to an inappropriate relationship.

Also on Monday, a person familiar with the investigation confirmed to The Associated Press that Petrino's "previous inappropriate relationship" was with Jessica Dorrell, the former Arkansas volleyball player with whom Petrino was riding with during his motorcycle crash on a rural two-lane road southeast of Fayetteville.

Petrino was noticeably vague in the wording about the relationship in his statement last Thursday, and the person spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Petrino came to Arkansas in 2007, leaving the NFL's Atlanta Falcons in midseason to coach the Razorbacks.

Petrino was welcomed and embraced by the state immediately and he has led the Razorbacks to a 34-17 record while making them into a power in the Southeastern Conference. Arkansas was 11-2 last season, finishing the season ranked No. 5.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Not sure there are that many people on this Earth I dislike more than Bobby Petrino. He is a pig of a human being and just a lowlife. However... He is a winner at the college level, and I was afraid that Arkansas was going to make he wrong decision because of it.

Props to Arkansas. I firmly expected for them to sweep this under the rug and give Petrino just a slap on the wrist, Nice to see I was wrong.

• Downvote 1

I can't believe they actually did this. Definitely gonna be tough for his successor.

Guest Phailadelphia

FUCK

...I know he deserved some punishment (and allegedly Arkansas offered him penalties rather than firing but he was unwilling to comply) but man...I really felt this was Arkansas's year. Tyler Wilson is returning. The RBs are finally healthy. There were lots of new bodies on the OLine and on defense, and they finally hired a new defensive coordinator...and then this shit happens.

FUCK

...I know he deserved some punishment (and allegedly Arkansas offered him penalties rather than firing but he was unwilling to comply) but man...I really felt this was Arkansas's year. Tyler Wilson is returning. The RBs are finally healthy. There were lots of new bodies on the OLine and on defense, and they finally hired a new defensive coordinator...and then this shit happens.

So he was like...

"Either do nothing or let me go" ?!

God, what a prick.

Guest Phailadelphia

So he was like...

"Either do nothing or let me go" ?!

God, what a prick.

Pretty much. I'm wondering if he was trying to call their bluff. I know Jeff Long (the AD) really believed he had something special in the football program this year and Petrino was probably betting on himself...and lost.

I almost feel bad for the Arkansas football program, but that's what they get for hiring this scumbag. I do feel for the fans, though.

Good for Arkansas. The SEC has a reputation for allowing dirty behavior, and its nice to see at least one school take a stand against it. If he's a Big Ten coach he's fired and no one is suprised, but you have to know that someone at Bama or Florida is thinking, "Why would they fire him?"

• Downvote 1

Good for Arkansas. The SEC has a reputation for allowing dirty behavior, and its nice to see at least one school take a stand against it. If he's a Big Ten coach he's fired and no one is suprised, but you have to know that someone at Bama or Florida is thinking, "Why would they fire him?"

Uh...wut?

After your first sentence, the post went to shit.

The SEC doesn't have any more dirty behavior when it comes to coaches than any other conference. If anything, they're prestige. Saban, Miles, Spurrier. There's no other conference with a 1, 2, 3 like that. While teams like Ohio State, North Carolina, and USC are getting stomped by the NCAA, the SEC is looking pretty good so I have no idea where your comments are coming from.

Guest Phailadelphia

Uhhhhhhh

misc-genius-l.png