Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Loss Of Reputation Privileges

The abuse of the reputation system has not stopped for a select number of you. Over the last week or so, we have been looking at adding a new member group that does not have reputation privileges.

It took a little tweaking, and apparently, one of our add-ons was blocking the functionality of removing the rep system from certain members.

Therefore, you will see a small change on the index page. You will no longer be able to check who repped you along the side. So please do not report to us that your REP side bar is missing, because that is intentional.

Instead, you may still check who +'d and -'d you or anyone else by going to that members profile and clicking the reputation tab.

If you are in this fancy new group, you will not be able to give positive or negative rep, and you will not be able to click on the rep bubble on a post to see who has +'d and -'d that particular post.

For some of you the move to this group is for an indefinite period of time. For others, we may decide to move out back out of this group if we deem that we can trust you.

As always...

Comments and Questions are welcome.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Will the people in this new group still have reputation? Like will the people not in the group still be able to give reputation to their post and will they still be able to see how much reputation they have?

Ultimately it's kind of sad it came to this. Not saying it shouldn't be done it's just sad it has to be done.

• Upvote 1

Whoops. I was testing it out on your post and it said that I had reached my quota for positives. I didn't know if that meant I was one of the banned people, so I clicked on the negative and instead of letting me leave a comment and have the option to cancel, it just negged you. Not trying to be a smartass.

Kind of sad that it's come to this, but at least you guys were able to make it so that the bad apples didn't have to ruin the experience for the rest of us. Well done, mods. :yep:

Will the people in this new group still have reputation? Like will the people not in the group still be able to give reputation to their post and will they still be able to see how much reputation they have?

Ultimately it's kind of sad it came to this. Not saying it shouldn't be done it's just sad it has to be done.

Yup. They can still receive reputation. And they still have access to their lis of reputation on their profile page like everybody else. No rep up to this point will be deleted... So unfortunately, any damage done is... Done.

We don't even want to turn people away from negging...

But when it gets to the point where we have members going back in time to old posts to get extra negs in... It's kinda sad... and embarrassing. Those are the people that will be hurt by this.

And unfortunately a side effect is that everyone loses the nifty reputation sidebar on the index page.

Everything else should be pretty normal though, otherwise. 10 + and 10 - reps in a 24 hour period I believe are the limits right now which we may up a little bit for those who can use the system correctly....

And by all means, if you see a really dumb post.. Neg away.

I still don't even understand the point of having a rep system myself, might as well just get rid of it all together.

Oh, it's definitely been in the discussion and the likely step after this one. It's also possible just to remove neg rep from everybody and move to a facebook-esquee "Like" system where you basically can either + something only.

We felt like the reputation system does add a little extra motivation to make good or funny posts and avoid the dumb posts so it will be kept for now.

• Upvote 1

Seems kind of retarded to me but okay.

Was negging that big of a problem? Seems like the issues were typically relegated to the more retarded members of TGP.

• Upvote 1

Seems kind of retarded to me but okay.

Was negging that big of a problem? Seems like the issues were typically relegated to the more retarded members of TGP.

Indeed. Which is why it doesn't and won't affect 99% of you.

How do we know if we were put in this group?

How do we know if we were put in this group?

If you can't give rep, you are in the group.

I can give rep, but I don't see who has +/- me in my side panel like I used to ...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

:yep:

The feature that gave us that side panel was overriding default reputation settings such as turning the system on or off for a certain group. We got rid of that add-on and we were able to regain that power.

In your profile under the rep tab, it will give who +d or -d you, in what thread, and the date and time. :yep:

Ah, now I got it. Thank you for the clarification, sir. :D

I always preferred the Reputation tab in our profiles to the sidebar anyway, because when you click on the link, it takes you to the specific post that had been rep'd, whereas the sidebar just directed you to the most recent post in the thread. So, nothing significant really changing, I don't think. :nope:

I agree. I like it in the profiles better, but it will take some time getting use to and just not seeing it on the side anymore. And ya, I also don't believe anything significant changed, but if you find something... let us know. :D

EDIT: I lied. There is a difference that I remember reading on the add-on page I looked up from like 2009 earlier... The box that comes up that allows you to give a "reasoning" for rep is also gone.

Edited by Favre4Ever

EDIT: I lied. There is a difference that I remember reading on the add-on page I looked up from like 2009 earlier... The box that comes up that allows you to give a "reasoning" for rep is also gone.

Well I wouldn't call that significant personally, so we're good. :p

• Upvote 1

I kinda like the textbox. No way it can come back?

Found a different add-on that it APPEARS to have given you back the reasoning AND the sidebar.

I haven't been able to fully test it with out new member group that isn't allowed rep privileges, so there is not guarantee it stays as of this very moment. However, I think it should work for you guys (not in the group) for sure.

Let me know and I will check back after work tomorrow.

BTW -- The DL link and the thread I found this new add-on was in a mysterious language that I couldn't read, decipher, or understand... So there may be even more surprises we don't know about yet.. ha >_>

• Upvote 1

I just tested it on that post and while if you click on the rep it says that i gave it to you, it still looks like its 0

Edit: now its normal. I guess you just have to reload the page in order for it to be visible.

Edited by blotsfan

Not a huge issue but I can still see my sidebar lol...it's meant to be gone right?

I can see the sidebar now, but it doesn't show how much rep you have.

I got repped 3 times in a thread today but in my profile it doesn't show up. :shrug:

lolrep

Because giving/receiving rep is such a critical piece to the functionality of this site.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1