Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Elite Eight, BPITNFL 2012

Elite Eight  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better player?

• Calvin Johnson
    • Drew Brees

Sorry for the delays, exams and life happen. Patrick Willis defeated Tom Brady 5-4 in the last match, and will go on to face Aaron Rodgers in the elite four. Tom Brady will face Justin Smith in a consolation round. Moving on to our next match, two offensive superstars face off. You know what to do and how to vote, so get to it.

3. Calvin Johnson, WR, Detroit Lions

pg2_a_cjohnson_600.jpg

2011 Stats: 96 catches, 1681 yards, 16 TD's, 1 fumble

2012 Tournament Results

Defeated 62nd seed Fred Jackson 11-0

Defeated 30th seed Charles Johnson 9-0

Tied 14th seed DeMarcus Ware 3-3

Defeated 14th seed DeMarcus Ware 5-4

vs.

6. Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans Saints

drew-brees.jpg

2011 Stats: 468/657, 71.2 Comp%, 5476 yards, 8.3 YPA, 46 TD's, 14 INT's

2012 Tournament Results

Defeated 59th seed Evan Mathis 11-2

Defeated 27th seed Jason Pierre-Paul 7-2

Defeated 22nd seed Haloti Ngata 5-1

I honestly can't say with confidence which is the better player, but let's face it: without a quarterback, guys like Calvin Johnson are nothing. And Brees, mind you, has made a career of putting up prolific numbers without elite targets like Megatron.

Oh my. Patrick Willis vs A-Rod? Do not want to vote on that.

On this one, I gotta go with Calvin. Stevo's logic is simply not fair to WRs.

Megatron is a beast. Best WR in the game, IMO, and Brees is not even the second-best QB in the game.

Best WR in the game, IMO, and Brees is not even the second-best QB in the game.

I don't think that logic is fair either, because it implies that the best player at every position is of equal skill. Would you say Rob Bironas is better than Drew Brees because Bironas is a top 2 kicker in the game, whereas Brees is not a top 2 QB?

I don't think that logic is fair either, because it implies that the best player at every position is of equal skill. Would you say Rob Bironas is better than Drew Brees because Bironas is a top 2 kicker in the game, whereas Brees is not a top 2 QB?

True. Not what I meant to imply, that simply because he is the best WR, and Brees isn't the best QB, that that means Calvin > Drew.

I think Megatron is a better all-around player than Brees is- or rather, he was, for this season. Your logic would automatically count him out because he is "nothing without guys like Brees."

So if MJD went up against Brees, I'd vote for MJD as being the better player. Same reason why I voted for him over Eli Manning. Just because he isn't a QB doesn't mean he automatically gets a mark against him.

Edited by Thanatos19

Alright, fair enough. Like I said, I see these guys as about even in their abilities. Both can do everything you want from their respective positions, and it's worth noting that Megatron is doing so without a great quarterback throwing him the ball (I know Stafford doesn't suck, but having Johnson to throw to makes him look better than he is, IMO). Ultimately, the QB position is more valuable than WR, which is why I voted for Brees. I'm not automatically disqualifying Megatron just for being a receiver; I'd vote for him over any quarterback not named Brees, Brady, or Rodgers.

I think you and I just differ on our opinion of how good Drew Brees is, and so we'll have to agree to disagree. :yep:

I'm going with Calving Johnson here. He is nearly impossible to stop and can dominate even with subpar QBs which he was stuck with before this past season.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

I had to take Megatron. If not for having the coolest nickname in sports-though, I guess Opimus Prime was one too many syllables—it's the best player of 2012. There were a number of QBs that had historic seasons, but only one wide receiver dominated and literally took his team to the playoffs. If not for Megatron just going completely HAM for the first half of the year, Detroit wouldn't have made it out of the regular season. The guy averaged 100 yards and a TD PER GAME. That's friggin incredible. He was unnaturally unstoppable in 2012.

SPOILER ALERT: I'm voting for him in the next round too. :allhail:

He was unnaturally unstoppable in 2012.

Bowe has returned from the future to tell us that Calvin Johnson will be unstoppable in 2012. :allhail: