Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phailadelphia

lolBuccs

Guest Phailadelphia

buccs.png

COULD YOU POSSIBLY DRAFT ANY WORSE

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Needs at every position except QB and DT...and you spend two 1st round picks on a safety and running back?

2228474288_tumblr_lcyuywnYml1qdr9hr_xlarge.png

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I wouldn't call the Bucs draft amazing, but I definitely wouldn't call it awful either. Martin and Barron are good talents.

Needs at every position except QB and DT...and you spend two 1st round picks on a safety and running back?

2228474288_tumblr_lcyuywnYml1qdr9hr_xlarge.png

Our main needs were S, RB, LB and CB. We adressed two of our main needs. I wasn't thrilled with Barron, but he was the best safety in a draft that lacks depth at safety IMO. I am thrilled with Martin though, I've been banging the drum to get him if we couldn't land TR from day one. If we didn't land one of Richardson, Martin or Wilson...I would've been upset. Best part is, we moved into the first without even losing a pick. Just dropped 25 spots in the 4th.

I hope we can adress LB in round three, and just go BPA from 4-7.

• Upvote 1

We drafted our two biggest needs outside of LB. We desperately needed help in our secondary and we picked up the best safety in the draft who is also physical enough to help us in run defense. Then we get a 3 down back to compliment Blount which was also a huge need.

Most experts will agree we had a solid first round.

Edited by KiLaSix9

We drafted our two biggest needs outside of LB. We desperately needed help in our secondary and we picked up the best safety in the draft who is also physical enough to help us in run defense. Then we get a 3 down back to compliment Blount which was also a huge need.

Most experts will agree we had a solid first round.

Agreed.

Most "experts" also have called us day one winners.

Two names I respect the most...Mike Mayock and Greg Cosell both said very positive things....

But w/e. lol

Troll away.

Not only did we fill 2 holes with solid players, but we also ended up with an extra draft pick at the end of the day. lol at anyone who calls the Bucs 1st day a fail.

Schefter liked it too. I wasn't majorly thrilled with Barron, but according to Mayock's top 100, we drafted two top 20 players and added a pick we didn't have. Not an awful first round. Espcially when you consider some of the reaches that ended up happening like Gilmore, Poe, Irvin, etc lol.

I thought it was a solid first day. I was happy you didn't get Richardson or Claiborn, but with T-Jack gone Barron fills an immediate need and Martin can do so much more than Blount. Considering other teams had Barron high on their list I don't feel it was a reach. And stealing Martin right in front of the Giants was good a move.

Perhaps a different gimmick is needed around here. lolbuccs? the lol*insertword* wasn't really funny when it started. Almost as not funny as *insertword*fail or the dreaded lol*insertword*fail. <-I assume the combo is to disguise the fact that you're completely unable to come up with an idea of your own, or that twice the overused trash talk cliche will somehow make it funny again.

edit:oh yea, to cut it off at the pass "lolGAfail"

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 1

Barron is being overrated. I didn't like the pick. Did great in Alabama but that defense as a whole was fantastic. Good run stuffing safety, not so good in pass coverage. Bottom first round talent imo but w/e. It's a shame we missed out on Claiborne by trading back and then didn't get Kuechly, who went to a division rival. And I don't believe a word Dominik says that we would have gotten Barron at #5. He's such a kiss ass.

Bucs draft was solid so far.

I'm rather happy they got Barron instead of Claiborne as a Panthers fan, but that's because Claiborne's the better player, IMO. But Barron still looks like a stud.

I don't necessarily agree with trading back into the first to take Martin, but if the Bucs really felt like he wasn't going to be there when they picked in the 2nd, then they did the right thing there as well.

Barron is being overrated. I didn't like the pick. Did great in Alabama but that defense as a whole was fantastic. Good run stuffing safety, not so good in pass coverage. Bottom first round talent imo but w/e. It's a shame we missed out on Claiborne by trading back and then didn't get Kuechly, who went to a division rival. And I don't believe a word Dominik says that we would have gotten Barron at #5. He's such a kiss ass.

Funny...all the guys that have access and ability to watch tape of these prospects say the exact opposite of what you said about Barron...

He's a triple threat...really good in man coverage and really good in the box playing the run...big hitter...with instincts...

He was also the QB of that defense...he ran it and made the adjustments etc etc...

Your opinion I guess, but I love the pick.

Perhaps a different gimmick is needed around here. lolbuccs? the lol*insertword* wasn't really funny when it started. Almost as not funny as *insertword*fail or the dreaded lol*insertword*fail. <-I assume the combo is to disguise the fact that you're completely unable to come up with an idea of your own, or that twice the overused trash talk cliche will somehow make it funny again.

edit:oh yea, to cut it off at the pass "lolGAfail"

Am I the only one that thinks adding "lol" in front of things is annoying as fuck? And adding "fail" at the end is even more obnoxious.

• Upvote 1

Funny...all the guys that have access and ability to watch tape of these prospects say the exact opposite of what you said about Barron...

He's a triple threat...really good in man coverage and really good in the box playing the run...big hitter...with instincts...

He was also the QB of that defense...he ran it and made the adjustments etc etc...

Your opinion I guess, but I love the pick.

Hardly all of them are saying the opposite. A lot of them are saying great things about nearly everyone who gets drafted. Every year they talk about guys like they are the next best thing before they bust in the league. The majority of what I've read and heard has the same common theme; that he is average at best in pass-coverage and isn't a great open field tackler. He gets overrated because he's somewhat of a ball hawk, or at least he was early on in college. He'll help with the run game, and he'll be a decent match-up against TE's like Graham and Gonzalez, but he wasn't worth missing out on Claiborne.

• Upvote 2

Finally... A Bucs fan with a little common sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hardly all of them are saying the opposite. A lot of them are saying great things about nearly everyone who gets drafted. Every year they talk about guys like they are the next best thing before they bust in the league. The majority of what I've read and heard has the same common theme; that he is average at best in pass-coverage and isn't a great open field tackler. He gets overrated because he's somewhat of a ball hawk, or at least he was early on in college. He'll help with the run game, and he'll be a decent match-up against TE's like Graham and Gonzalez, but he wasn't worth missing out on Claiborne.

Who says "the next best thing" Claiborne can't be a bust?

I mean, I'm not jumping for joy like we got the next Ed Reed, but Barron is a way better player than you're giving him credit for. He was the QB of a defense that won a national championship last year, is a top 15 prospect at worst, and fills a major need. Nothing to be majorly upset with. I would've liked more than a 4th in the trade back with Jacksonville, but we used it as ammo to get the other guys we wanted, so I'm fine with it. We got top prospects to be impact players right away at positions of need. I'm very happy.

Also, something to think about here. Claiborne's college position coach, Ron Cooper, left LSU to become the Bucs' defensive backs coach. We had Claiborne's college position coach in our building and passed on the guy despite most people thinking it was a no brainer. That may say something right there. Barron seems kind of like the guy Schiano wants on this team. He has great instincts and tends to make the right/smart play. Claiborne might have more physical talent, but I just get the feeling he wasn't the kind of guy Schiano wants. We'll see how it works, but Barron is a very very good player. If the Bucs didnt' take him at 7, he was probably going not too far after that. Buffalo wanted him at 10 and there was talk of teams trying to trade up and leapfrog them to get him. Those teams likely weren't counting on the Bucs targeting him. Dominik did a good job keeping his intentions quiet.

Who says "the next best thing" Claiborne can't be a bust?

If you want to play that game every player drafted could potentially be a bust.

It's about who's perceived as being better, and Claiborne is less likely to be a bust than Barron as far as what he put on the field in college. I think the majority of NFL teams who agree he's a better prospect, as have analysts like Mike Mayock that's reviewed his film. Barron is simply thought of as a safe pick while "Claiborne has the best ball skills by far of any defensive back in this draft."

I mean, I'm not jumping for joy like we got the next Ed Reed, but Barron is a way better player than you're giving him credit for. He was the QB of a defense that won a national championship last year, is a top 15 prospect at worst, and fills a major need. Nothing to be majorly upset with. I would've liked more than a 4th in the trade back with Jacksonville, but we used it as ammo to get the other guys we wanted, so I'm fine with it. We got top prospects to be impact players right away at positions of need. I'm very happy.

I'm not majorly upset about it. I'm giving him credit based on what he is. The pick wasn't awful. I just don't like the pick when there were better players still on the board at needed positions.

Also, something to think about here. Claiborne's college position coach, Ron Cooper, left LSU to become the Bucs' defensive backs coach. We had Claiborne's college position coach in our building and passed on the guy despite most people thinking it was a no brainer. That may say something right there. Barron seems kind of like the guy Schiano wants on this team. He has great instincts and tends to make the right/smart play. Claiborne might have more physical talent, but I just get the feeling he wasn't the kind of guy Schiano wants. We'll see how it works, but Barron is a very very good player. If the Bucs didnt' take him at 7, he was probably going not too far after that. Buffalo wanted him at 10 and there was talk of teams trying to trade up and leapfrog them to get him. Those teams likely weren't counting on the Bucs targeting him. Dominik did a good job keeping his intentions quiet.

I doubt it has anything to do with Cooper. Dominik is going to draft anyone he talks himself into drafting. Consider the fact a better team with a poor secondary traded up to get Claiborne at #6 while we're still sitting in the NFL gutters with what Dominik's given us. How many big contracts does he have to give guys like Clayton, Quincy Black, and Eric Wright before people realize he's inferior to other teams in talent evaluation? That's going to undoubtedly translate over to evaluating draftees as well.

The one thing I will say I liked about the Barron pick is that it provides leadership on defense for the Bucs. When you're as bad as the Bucs were last season, you're not just lacking talent; you're lacking a unifying voice. I know Ronde is as great a leader as there is, but this will probably be his last season it the NFL. Barron can be their defensive QB for the next 10+ years, and that's something you wouldn't have gotten with Claiborne.

Also, trading up for Lavonte David was a great move.

If you want to play that game every player drafted could potentially be a bust.

That is the game YOU played.

It's about who's perceived as being better, and Claiborne is less likely to be a bust than Barron as far as what he put on the field in college. I think the majority of NFL teams who agree he's a better prospect, as have analysts like Mike Mayock that's reviewed his film. Barron is simply thought of as a safe pick while "Claiborne has the best ball skills by far of any defensive back in this draft."

Who cares who is perceived to be better? All that matters is the Bucs thought Barron was better. They did their research on both guys, and thought Barron was a better player for this team.

Mayock RAVED over the Barron pick. He said his ceiling is a Pro Bowl safety and his floor is a Pro Bowl safety. He loved the pick.

I'm not majorly upset about it. I'm giving him credit based on what he is. The pick wasn't awful. I just don't like the pick when there were better players still on the board at needed positions.

Well, the Bucs thought Barron was a better player. Will it work out? We'll see.

I doubt it has anything to do with Cooper. Dominik is going to draft anyone he talks himself into drafting. Consider the fact a better team with a poor secondary traded up to get Claiborne at #6 while we're still sitting in the NFL gutters with what Dominik's given us. How many big contracts does he have to give guys like Clayton, Quincy Black, and Eric Wright before people realize he's inferior to other teams in talent evaluation? That's going to undoubtedly translate over to evaluating draftees as well.

I agree Dominik will draft who he wants, but Cooper obviously knows all of Claiborne's strengths and weaknesses and even though the pick seemed like a no-brainer, we said no thanks. I'm sure we talked to Cooper a lot about Claiborne and the things he brings to a football team and decided he wasn't a fit.

Clayton was an absolute fail, but all GMs make bad moves. I don't think it is fair to sit here and trash Dominik on a couple moves. He didn't do what YOU wanted, big deal. He's filled three of our top needs with top prospects who can step in right away. They may not pan out, but neither may Claiborne. Nobody really knows how draft prospects pan out. Most of these guys won't pan out, if they did, everyone would be good. These picks will certainly go a long way in determining Dom's future, but it is very good so far, on paper.

That is the game YOU played.

I didn't say anyone was going to be a bust. I was responding to your comment that people are saying the opposite of what I am, and I'm arguing that's because they do it with nearly everyone, even the players that end up busting after they assume they'll be a certain pro bowler.

Who cares who is perceived to be better? All that matters is the Bucs thought Barron was better. They did their research on both guys, and thought Barron was a better player for this team.

Based on history I don't particularly trust their research.

Mayock RAVED over the Barron pick. He said his ceiling is a Pro Bowl safety and his floor is a Pro Bowl safety. He loved the pick.

He sounds pretty enthusiastic about most picks. Pretty much a good example of what I said before.

Clayton was an absolute fail, but all GMs make bad moves. I don't think it is fair to sit here and trash Dominik on a couple moves.

He's fucked up more than a couple times. The guy has done moves no winning GM in this league would have considered, like giving players with back-up talent big contracts for three straight seasons. And I guarantee you him wanting Barron over Claiborne has more to do with the signing of Eric Wright more than anything.

He didn't do what YOU wanted, big deal. He's filled three of our top needs with top prospects who can step in right away. They may not pan out, but neither may Claiborne. Nobody really knows how draft prospects pan out. Most of these guys won't pan out, if they did, everyone would be good. These picks will certainly go a long way in determining Dom's future, but it is very good so far, on paper.

You can say that about any pick in the draft, that doesn't mean someone can't find it irritating that their favorite team drafted an on-paper inferior player instead of staying put and getting an on-paper better one. Picking Barron over Claiborne is no different to me than if we picked Stephon Gilmore. You could say it's possible Gilmore will pan out better than Claiborne, but that doesn't make it a better pick 2 days after the draft, because at this point all indications point to the opposite.

You like the pick, I obviously don't. You arguing against my opinion by basically stating "we don't know" is pretty pointless. I didn't like it yesterday, I won't like it tomorrow, and I probably won't like it next year. Get over it.