Sarge

The good news thread

Good stuff, BJERN.

Congrats man, I bet it was the suit :p

shirt & tie, haha too humid for a jacket

Good for you, Bredy.

• Upvote 1

1st day of school for me today at college that I transferred to. I commute, it's about a 30 minute ride which is pretty good. Parking situation isn't bad at all, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm taking 4 classes, accounting major. I really like my teachers, feel really good about my classes and know that I'm in the right major that I could see myself having a career in. I want to be a CPA.

It was nice to be around people my own age and socializing. This was a really lonely summer for me and I got a bit depressed over the past few years, mostly due to myself being too shy and not opening up to other people at my last school. I plan on being more outgoing and making friends this time, cause I really need them. That's really gonna be something I have to push myself to do cause I'm pretty introverted, I need to get out of my shell though and connect with people.

I used to have crippling shyness, where I'd be afraid to talk to new people or in group assignments in school, but the good news is my job that I got a few months ago at Wendys has really helped me just get better at talking. I take orders in the front and I'm talking and interacting with people for 40 hours a week, granted it's just very scripted order taking and occasional small talk, but it's helped my confidence a ton and made me feel much more comfortable in my own skin

What college? :think:

:rock:

lol what did you have?

I'm going on my first week long vacation since I started my most recent job in April 2014. I'll be going up near Lake Superior for the first time, and having another first with trying fishing. There's a lake along the cabin rental as well as ATV trails, so I think it's going to be a really peaceful and relaxing week off.

I'll be leaving in six days. I have my countdown going :D

lol what did you have?

At about 10 pm I went to work and bought booze, took some shooters with my coworkers, then stopped by my brother's and had a few shots. Went home and had Moscow Mules with our friend Amber, left to her house and drank until around 11 am (also made breakfast and shit). Then we headed to the bar to watch the Steelers and ended up bar-hopping until around 10 pm. Smoked the entire time also.

I lucked out and ended up having the next two days off, gf wasn't as lucky.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

The Career Expo for Engineers was today at OSU and I talked with Timken. The lady I spoke with was so impressed with my pitch that she had me speak of with the head of the recruiting team there, who in turn was impressed with me so he had me schedule an interview tomorrow. Here's to hoping I get the internship.

Also, I had a really strong talk with Cisco. Amazing how simply researching the company before talking to them will do you wonders.

Looking to talk with GE tomorrow, but right now I'd be super happy if the only internship offer I got was from Timken.

• Upvote 2

My grandparents neighbor is head of the safety department at Timken. :smug:

Also, I had a really strong talk with Cisco. Amazing how simply researching the company before talking to them will do you wonders.

Conversely, it's not always neccesary. I was at my current job for about a year before I knew what we did.

• Upvote 1

Conversely, it's not always neccesary. I was at my current job for about a year before I knew what we did.

Yeah, I talked with Eaton just out of curiosity and had no idea what they did. The person liked that I was willing to branch out from my comfort zone and seemed to have interest in me. The only thing was that I didn't meet GPA requirements. :(

My older brother works for Eaton, he just moved out to ATL for it. Before that he worked for GE while he was a student, which I guess is like, their competitor. Good career choice OSU, being an engineer student essentially automatically means you'll get a job. :p

• Upvote 1

Wait, really?

Granted every work environment is different, but that's pretty surprising to me. I feel like you'd at least be curious and ask someone even if it didn't pertain to your job per se.

My older brother works for Eaton, he just moved out to ATL for it. Before that he worked for GE while he was a student, which I guess is like, their competitor. Good career choice OSU, being an engineer student essentially automatically means you'll get a job. :p

I just need that first internship. Everything the seniors in ISE have told me is that once you get that first internship, the doors to the engineering world just kind of fly open for you.

This has been a good week for me! I kicked my Linear Algebra exam's ass, and I GOT ACCEPTED INTO MY MAJOR!!!

I'm celebrating tonight!

• Upvote 1