DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

2012 NBA Playoffs Western Conference thread

I'm surprised Dallas couldn't even win one game. Going out like that is embarrassing.

• Upvote 1

From what im seeing in the East, idc whoever makes it to the Finals in the west will bring it home. Thunder Lakers or Grizz are my top 3 to make it. Spurs are too old to go all the way, Clippers arent there yet, and Nuggets not enough fire power. Miami SHOULD cakewalk the East. Nobody is really a challenege there. Maybe Boston for a series but thats it.

From what im seeing in the East, idc whoever makes it to the Finals in the west will bring it home. Thunder Lakers or Grizz are my top 3 to make it. Spurs are too old to go all the way, Clippers arent there yet, and Nuggets not enough fire power. Miami SHOULD cakewalk the East. Nobody is really a challenege there. Maybe Boston for a series but thats it.

Using the "too old" excuse that most use that are unaware of the team. Duncan, Jackson and Manu are the only old players. The team is quite young getting a lot of contribution off the bench. As long as Pop is around, the Spurs will be a contender.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

It's kinda funny that people use the "too old" excuse when Dallas just won last year and that's was always the knock against us that we were "too old." The Spurs have more than enough talent to make a run for it.

I expect the Thunder to, but the Spurs can give them a series, if it comes to that.

Using the "too old" excuse that most use that are unaware of the team. Duncan, Jackson and Manu are the only old players. The team is quite young getting a lot of contribution off the bench. As long as Pop is around, the Spurs will be a contender.

Im not unaware. But for them to handle Lakers or Thunder or even Grizz back to back. Duncan, Manu are old, they wont be able to do enough against the 3 teams i just mentioned, back to back series. Thunder are youthful and would be too much for them in a series imo. Grizz beat em in the first round last yr i dont see em beating Grizz and Lakers inside power would be too much for Duncan/Blair. Spurs always have a good team no doubt but their stars are whats old. You need stars to win championships for u. I dont think Duncan and Manu can do that against the remaining teams left. Jazz are one thing they arent that good as Thunder , LA, Grizz.

Im not unaware. But for them to handle Lakers or Thunder or even Grizz back to back. Duncan, Manu are old, they wont be able to do enough against the 3 teams i just mentioned, back to back series. Thunder are youthful and would be too much for them in a series imo. Grizz beat em in the first round last yr i dont see em beating Grizz and Lakers inside power would be too much for Duncan/Blair. Spurs always have a good team no doubt but their stars are whats old. You need stars to win championships for u. I dont think Duncan and Manu can do that against the remaining teams left. Jazz are one thing they arent that good as Thunder , LA, Grizz.

Oh so last year's team is the same as last year's? Didn't realize that Manu has a broken arm and Duncan has a messed up ankle like they did last year. The team is completely different and while you say Spurs may not have an answer for their big men, none of those teams have had an answer for Parker. Duncan has been playing well and teams have yet to see much of Duncan and Splitter on the court at the same time, as Pop has been keeping that for the big frontcourts of the Lakers and Grizzlies. You keep thinking Manu and Duncan are the stars on this team. It's Parker that carries this team. A team needs a bunch of roleplayers that can contribute to win a championship, not just a few stars...

Oh so last year's team is the same as last year's? Didn't realize that Manu has a broken arm and Duncan has a messed up ankle like they did last year. The team is completely different and while you say Spurs may not have an answer for their big men, none of those teams have had an answer for Parker. Duncan has been playing well and teams have yet to see much of Duncan and Splitter on the court at the same time, as Pop has been keeping that for the big frontcourts of the Lakers and Grizzlies. You keep thinking Manu and Duncan are the stars on this team. It's Parker that carries this team. A team needs a bunch of roleplayers that can contribute to win a championship, not just a few stars...

I'm still not buying San Antonio over the three teams he listed. It's not even about the stars. It's about all these role players. They'll disappear. Splitter and Blair are the only exception. They're better than Muhammed or Oberto ever where, however- Leonard isn't Bruce Bowen. Matt Bonner isn't Robert Horry. Stephen Jackson hasn't been relevant in years.

Parker and Manu can't do it all on their own, and they won't.

I'm still not buying San Antonio over the three teams he listed. It's not even about the stars. It's about all these role players. They'll disappear. Splitter and Blair are the only exception. They're better than Muhammed or Oberto ever where, however- Leonard isn't Bruce Bowen. Matt Bonner isn't Robert Horry. Stephen Jackson hasn't been relevant in years.

Okay we get it, you jumped on another bandwagon and think the Grizz are the best team ever and when they lose, its the ref's fault.

The Spurs have flown under the radar all season long and have always been doubted. They will just prove everyone wrong once again. The Spurs also get the big advantage of having plenty of rest since they will sweep the Jazz tomorrow while the Clips and Grizz play to game 7.

• Upvote 2

Some of you really underestimate what an older team can do. What they lack in speed and athleticism, they match with experience, skill and heart. The Spurs will be in the West Finals this year. Book it.

• Upvote 1

Again, I heard the same thing about Dallas all the time last year.

Don't count out the Spurs. They may not be the better team on paper, but they are more than capable of taking anyone else in the West.

Some of you really underestimate what an older team can do. What they lack in speed and athleticism, they match with experience, skill and heart. The Spurs will be in the West Finals this year. Book it.

Agreed. It just completely doesn't make sense why people are holding this position. Dallas proved you can do it last year. You need to have a good team that works as a team to win the Finals, not a bunch of stars. That's the Heat's philosophy and it can work- but give me a team full of veteran players who know how to play as a team over a team that just has a few stars on it.

Edited by Thanatos19

Guest Phailadelphia

Spurs are definitely being underrated here. For OKC, I fear that matchup more than Miami.

Oh come on,they weren't old the whole season and all the sudden thay are?

That old team won 50 games in the regular season..Hmm,they are old,how's that possible?

Shut up and watch some basketball,Spurs vs Thunder West finals..

honestly... I think the Lakers are the wildcard in the West. If they keep playing the type of defense they are playing right now, and keep taking advantage of their size, there are a lot of teams they could knock out.

honestly... I think the Lakers are the wildcard in the West. If they keep playing the type of defense they are playing right now, and keep taking advantage of their size, there are a lot of teams they could knock out.

And this is the first time we've agreed on basketball in quite some time. Welcome to the group of people who see the Lakers playing some damn good ball. They could very easily knock out OKC in the next round, and they probably will if Perk can't get healthy.

And this is the first time we've agreed on basketball in quite some time. Welcome to the group of people who see the Lakers playing some damn good ball. They could very easily knock out OKC in the next round, and they probably will if Perk can't get healthy.

I wouldn't say we could very easily knock out OKC. The Thunder are clicking on all cylinders right now. They play in front of a crazy atmosphere and we suck on the road. We would HAVE to win one of the first two games in OKC for me to even say we have a shot in that series to win.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

If Memphis doesn't win tonight, I might cry.

Guest Phailadelphia

This thread went from underrating the Spurs to overrating the Lakers. :laugh: Unless Perk is out for significant time, that series is over in 5.

Edited by Phailadelphia

This thread went from underrating the Spurs to overrating the Lakers. :laugh: Unless Perk is out for significant time, that series is over in 5.

Just like the Cowboys were going to sweep the division, right?

Guest Phailadelphia

Just like the Cowboys were going to sweep the division, right?

I think it says more about you that you took that thread seriously.

I think it says more about you that you took that thread seriously.

Oh right, because you didn't actually think we'd do it before we got clocked by the Giants. Look man, get realistic about OKC. They are not going to take the Lakers down in 5. They'll be lucky if they win it in 7.

Guest Phailadelphia

Oh right, because you didn't actually think we'd do it before we got clocked by the Giants. Look man, get realistic about OKC. They are not going to take the Lakers down in 5. They'll be lucky if they win it in 7.

Most analysts are predicting OKC in 5-6. OKC was built to beat the Lakers, to be their kryptonite. I'm not just saying this because I'm an OKC fan.

• Upvote 1

Most analysts are predicting OKC in 5-6. OKC was built to beat the Lakers, to be their kryptonite. I'm not just saying this because I'm an OKC fan.

OKC can't deal with the Bynum/Gasol combo, especially if Perk isn't healthy, and who's going to defend Kobe? Also, Sessions has transformed the Lakers into a completely different team. This isn't Phil Jackson's Lakers, or even close to it, for that matter. Mike Brown has brought a tremendous defensive edge to this team, and he's even got Jordan Hill playing well (I have no idea how). I know Mike Brown wasn't a popular hire, but the Lakers are buying in to his system and it's paid dividends since the Sessions trade. If this was Fisher/Blake/Goudeleck LAL, I'd say OKC in 4, but Sessions has made a serious difference.

Edit: I'm not even close to saying that Brown is as good as Jackson, but he's not nearly as bad of a hire as people thought. His system is perfect for this team.

Edited by BwareDWare94

OKC can't deal with the Bynum/Gasol combo, especially if Perk isn't healthy, and who's going to defend Kobe? Also, Sessions has transformed the Lakers into a completely different team. This isn't Phil Jackson's Lakers, or even close to it, for that matter. Mike Brown has brought a tremendous defensive edge to this team, and he's even got Jordan Hill playing well (I have no idea how). I know Mike Brown wasn't a popular hire, but the Lakers are buying in to his system and it's paid dividends since the Sessions trade. If this was Fisher/Blake/Goudeleck LAL, I'd say OKC in 4, but Sessions has made a serious difference.

OKC could struggle against Gasol/Bynum but LA struggles against great PGs even with Sessions. If Westbrook isn't foolish, he could dominate Sessions along with Durant who is basically unstoppable unless he's cold. I would take Thunder in 6 or 7 against the Lakers.

Guest Phailadelphia

Edit: I'm not even close to saying that Brown is as good as Jackson, but he's not nearly as bad of a hire as people thought. His system is perfect for this team.

1) Check Bynum's numbers against OKC this year. He was held to 5-15 shooting twice this year, scoring 10 and 14 points in those 2 games. Perkins gives him a LOT of trouble.

2) Who's going to defend Kobe? Have you SEEN his numbers against Sefolosha and Harden? They're not pretty.

3) Cool, so Sessions can help them run the P&R now. They're still almost as awful at the P&R offensively as they are against it defensively (and on that note, guess who has one of the best P&R players in the game? Hint: It's starts with an "B" and ends with "eard"). LA's backcourt has actually gotten worse defensively with Sessions. There's a reason that guy has been on multiple teams and never been to the playoffs on any of them. You're acting like the Lakers picked up Chris Paul or something. :facepalm:

4) Tremendous defensive edge = 13th ranked defense? Um...

Edited by Phailadelphia
  • Upvote 1