BLUE

Bengals sign Vontaze Burfict

Per Rotoworld.com:

Bengals signed Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict.

We suspect maybe only a handful of teams -- and going plural there might be generous -- had any interest in Burfict at all. The Bengals, never shy about character concerns, were most willing to roll the dice. Burfict was a first-team All-American in 2010, before getting benched as a junior in 2011. You probably already know about his terrible Combine, Pro Day, and failed drug test. He'll be a major long shot to make the Bengals' roster. Apr 28 - 8:37 PM

Source: Master Tesfatsion on Twitter

Its AMAZINGGGGG how someone who was projected as a top 10 pick, can slide all the way out the draft, from, a bad combine, and character issues. Damnn if he pans out talk about a steal. Fuck a long shot if he actually tries. Thats of course if he tries.

Fucking pieces of shit. If there's ever been a player that I wanted that went undrafted because of character, it's Burfict. I really wanted Blount, but Burfict is a fucking animal.

Watch his tape and you know he doesn't play at 5.whatever speed. He lacks some coverage ability and at times he'll overpursue, but he will fucking destroy the ball carrier and he has a knack for finding the ball.

He reminds me a lot of Polamalu. He is a headhunter that will find you and take your head off. And he's also got a few "I'm going to time the snap perfectly and jump over the line and kill everything, lol" highlights like Polamalu does. Kid's insane. If he can get and keep his head on straight, the Bengals just won the lottery.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

The problem with Vontaze has never been his skill set or tape, although he does get a inconsistent at times and shows a lack of effort.

If you can keep him out of trouble, which I seriously doubt the Bengals will do... And you can somehow find a way to feed his fire, his passion for the game. The Bengals will be rewarded greatly.

He's kind of like Coples (a mid 1st rounder, mind you) in that you are going to have to focus a lot of attention on making him WANT to play.

It really depends how he takes going undrafted.

He could either feel sorry for himself and wallow in self pity. Think about all the mistakes he has made and be worse for it. Or he can forget all about that, turn over a new lease on life and get PISSED. Pissed that you got skipped over 200 times. If he can focus that energy, his ceiling is extremely high.

That's also a big if.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I actually hope this kid shows something to this team where they can't cut him.

I had interest in him. I'm rooting for the guy :shrug:

I hope he doesn't make it with the Bengals but then goes to the other end of the state and makes it up there.

Honestly, I wanted the Bills to take him, but apparently he showed up to the combine out of shape. I can live with a bit of a nutjob, but he sounds like a lazy nutjob.

I also wanted this guy. I wouldnt have minded using a 7th on him but alas that's not the type of player the Browns want. They prefer guys with no talent.

• Upvote 2

If this guy pans out. Many NFL teams will sincerely regret not taking him or considering him. Seems like one of those kind of guys that will give you hell for the long haul.

Vontaze Burfict sucks. He is a hot topic because people believed he was a high first round pick before they realized he sucks. Sure, he is big and a massive hitter. But he can't play football. He is out of position all the time, can't cover, he is a loose cannon constantly costing his teams yards.

People need to realize he didn't go undrafted because of character concerns. Players with character concerns get drafted each and every year. Hell, Janoris Jenkins was taken with the 39th overall pick this year and he almost personifies character concerns. He went undrafted because he wasn't an asset to his football team last year. I haven't seen anything out of him as a football player except that he can hit people really hard. Too bad there is more to football then that.

I also have a hard time believing that Marvin Lewis and the Bengals of all teams are going to get into that fucked up head of his and fix him. Maybe if he went to the Patriots or something I'd give him a shot to be a difference maker eventually. Maybe.

• Downvote 1

You can't be serious. He went undrafted because he can't play?

He is far from the smartest player on the field, but he has great burst and quickness. He shows flashes in rushing the passer, and is the source of a lot of big collisions.

I am not saying he is a 1st round talent, but he most certainly isn't an undrafted talent -- character issues aside.

You can't be serious. He went undrafted because he can't play?

He is far from the smartest player on the field, but he has great burst and quickness. He shows flashes in rushing the passer, and is the source of a lot of big collisions.

I am not saying he is a 1st round talent, but he most certainly isn't an undrafted talent -- character issues aside.

Indeed he went undrafted because of his play. Yes, he is big and he hits the fuck out of people. But, he doesn't know how to play football the right way. He is like a chicken with his head chopped off at times. He is out of position all the time. I don't care if he gets a big collision, if he isn't consistently in position to make good plays against the run and pass that help your defense get off the field, he isn't worth it. He should try and be a safety if he just wants to hit the fuck out of people.

Like I said, teams draft players with character concerns all the time. Alfonzo Dennard punched a cop and he got drafted. Janoris Jenkins smokes weed and makes babies on a near Cromaritian level. Mike Williams was flat out accused of being a quitter and got taken in the 4th round. If teams thought his on field ability was worth it, they would've gambled on him in the draft. There was more to it than character concerns. Mayock even said that he wouldn't draft him if you threw out all the other issues, he felt his game tape made him undraftable.

Indeed he went undrafted because of his play. Yes, he is big and he hits the fuck out of people. But, he doesn't know how to play football the right way. He is like a chicken with his head chopped off at times. He is out of position all the time. I don't care if he gets a big collision, if he isn't consistently in position to make good plays against the run and pass that help your defense get off the field, he isn't worth it. He should try and be a safety if he just wants to hit the fuck out of people.

Like I said, teams draft players with character concerns all the time. Alfonzo Dennard punched a cop and he got drafted. Janoris Jenkins smokes weed and makes babies on a near Cromaritian level. Mike Williams was flat out accused of being a quitter and got taken in the 4th round. If teams thought his on field ability was worth it, they would've gambled on him in the draft. There was more to it than character concerns. Mayock even said that he wouldn't draft him if you threw out all the other issues, he felt his game tape made him undraftable.

Are you serious?

Burfict is a monster. He closes as well as any other player in the draft. When he sees the ball, he catches another gear. He has impeccable snap timing, like I mentioned previously, and will do the Polamalu leap and is effective at it. He blows up linemen like Gregg Lloyd. He has average coverage ability, but that can be coached. He does retarded things like hitting people late or going low on QBs, but he's ferocious and has great awareness and feel for the game. How you can say he doesn't know football or whatever is beyond me.

Are you serious?

Burfict is a monster. He closes as well as any other player in the draft. When he sees the ball, he catches another gear. He has impeccable snap timing, like I mentioned previously, and will do the Polamalu leap and is effective at it. He blows up linemen like Gregg Lloyd. He has average coverage ability, but that can be coached. He does retarded things like hitting people late or going low on QBs, but he's ferocious and has great awareness and feel for the game. How you can say he doesn't know football or whatever is beyond me.

If he was really such a monster, he would've been drafted. The dude was terrible last year on and off the field. He is a complete mess as a person and a football player. He is incredibly undiscilplined and has awful instincts on the field. I recently talked to a former scout and was suprised at all the bad things he had to say about him. Trust me, if I team really thought he was a monster, they would've taken the risk. It happens every year, but nobody wanted to step up and gamble on Burfict.

If he was really such a monster, he would've been drafted. The dude was terrible last year on and off the field. He is a complete mess as a person and a football player. He is incredibly undiscilplined and has awful instincts on the field. I recently talked to a former scout and was suprised at all the bad things he had to say about him. Trust me, if I team really thought he was a monster, they would've taken the risk. It happens every year, but nobody wanted to step up and gamble on Burfict.

Tony Romo

Fred Jackson

London Fletcher

Jason Peters

Adam Vinatieri

Wes Welker

James Harrison

Antonio Gates

Kurt Warner

u c wht i did thar?

Tony Romo

Fred Jackson

London Fletcher

Jason Peters

Adam Vinatieri

Wes Welker

James Harrison

Antonio Gates

Kurt Warner

u c wht i did thar?

They were all un drafted cause they're horrible and cant play football the right way?

Dennard was arguably one of the best CB prospects in the entire draft. He is a 2nd or 3rd round talent that... yes, got drafted... IN THE SEVENTH ROUND like 10 picks before Mr. Irrelevant. lol

It's laughable saying that it was solely the guys play that made him fall into UDFA.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Tony Romo

Fred Jackson

London Fletcher

Jason Peters

Adam Vinatieri

Wes Welker

James Harrison

Antonio Gates

Kurt Warner

u c wht i did thar?

Woah. I did not know that James Harrison and London Fletcher were undrafted.

Tony Romo

Fred Jackson

London Fletcher

Jason Peters

Adam Vinatieri

Wes Welker

James Harrison

Antonio Gates

Kurt Warner

u c wht i did thar?

Irrelevant point. Everyone knows you can find the occasional UDFA gem. That isn't the point. The point is, if Burfict was really some sort of monster/stud, a team would have gambled on him in the draft. His game tape had a lot with him going undrafted too. Teams are always willing to gamble on talented players in the draft.

I wanted the Ravens to pick him up with their somewhere in the draft... fucking Bengals. If Vontaze actually plays well I will forever be sick to my stomach over this signing.

PS. The Bengals, as a whole, are frightening.

Irrelevant point. Everyone knows you can find the occasional UDFA gem. That isn't the point. The point is, if Burfict was really some sort of monster/stud, a team would have gambled on him in the draft. His game tape had a lot with him going undrafted too. Teams are always willing to gamble on talented players in the draft.

That's hardly an irrelevant point... Your argument is that if any team thought he was good, they'd draft him. Nobody thought that any of those players were worth a draft pick. Harrison got cut multiple times after being signed and eventually became the DPOTY. Why? Due to his potential. His tape wasn't good enough for anyone to think he was worth a damn and in practice he didn't look good enough either. You really want to tell me that because Burfict wasn't drafted because of his supposed tape shortcomings that he has no chance to become something great? That's ignorant, Milla.

That's hardly an irrelevant point... Your argument is that if any team thought he was good, they'd draft him. Nobody thought that any of those players were worth a draft pick. Harrison got cut multiple times after being signed and eventually became the DPOTY. Why? Due to his potential. His tape wasn't good enough for anyone to think he was worth a damn and in practice he didn't look good enough either. You really want to tell me that because Burfict wasn't drafted because of his supposed tape shortcomings that he has no chance to become something great? That's ignorant, Milla.

No, it is completly irrelevant. Guys like that fly under the radar, work hard and end up making the most of their chances. Flying under the radar and hard work are two things that don't apply to Vontaze Burfict. NFL teams knew about this guy, he was high profile. He scared teams off from drafting him with what he did on the field. It wasn't talent and ability either, he has that, but he has screws loose in his head, and it just wasn't worth it. It goes beyond the penelties too.

I also never said Burfict has no chance to become something great because he wasn't drafted, that is silly. I don't think he'll be something great because he is a loose cannon, a complete fool. I don't think he has what it takes upstairs to be a great player in the NFL.

I don't think he'll be something great because he is a loose cannon, a complete fool. I don't think he has what it takes upstairs to be a great player in the NFL.

Charles Haley enjoyed running around shoving his dick in his teammates faces and masturbating during meetings moaning the names of wives of other players on the team. He had more than a few screws loose but still had a... pretty damn solid career. lol

• Upvote 2