BucD

John Harbaugh: Saints, Patriots' titles should have asterisks

Per TheRedZone.org:

Ravens coach John Harbaugh in an interview with Baltimore's 98 Rock radio said he believes the accomplishments of the Patriots and Saints in winning Super Bowls were tainted because they broke rules.

"In the end, everything is brought before the light of day, when it's all said and done," Harbaugh said according to Robert Klemko of USA Today. "What happens, even the thing in New England, no matter whether those things had any impact on whether they won their championships or not, they got asterisks now. It's been stained."

"To me, it's never worth it," Harbaugh said. "You have to figure out ways to use the rules to your advantage, you have to figure out ways to make the most of everything. We have new work rules here as far as what we can do and what we can't do with our players, and we're going to make the most of it. What we're finding is, 'Man, maybe we can do some things even better than we did before, because these rules make us focus more on some things that we didn't focus on before. You just have to make them work for you. That's what success is in the world. You have to find a way to do things better than somebody else. But if you're cheating, in the end, you're going to get discredited. It's not worth it."

lol at anyone who thinks the Saints should have an asterisk on their title over "bounty gate".

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

lol at anyone who thinks the Saints should have an asterisk on their title over "bounty gate".

lol at you for thinking that's what he's referring to.

lol at you for thinking that's what he's referring to.

What else is he referring to? ESPN's "report" that Loomis was able to eavesdrop apposing coaching staffs?

via PFT

After saying in a radio interview that Spygate had “stained” the Patriots’ championships, Ravens coach John Harbaugh has now revised and extended those remarks.

Harbaugh issued a statement this afternoon after making those comments this morning, and he said in his statement that he wasn’t saying he personally believes the Patriots’ titles are tainted. He was saying he thinks others perceive the Patriots’ titles as tainted.

“I answered a question about playing within the rules and referred to the perception that the Super Bowl championships won by the Patriots and Saints have a stain,” Harbaugh said. “My reference was to the perception out there that came as the result of the league’s actions.”

The question asked to Harbaugh was about the Saints’ bounty scandal, and in answering Harbaugh largely ignored bounties and instead brought up Spygate. But in his clarification Harbaugh said he doesn’t want the coaches of either the Saints or the Patriots to think he was suggesting they didn’t earn their Super Bowl rings.

“I could have been more clear that I was referring to those viewpoints,” Harbaugh said. “I totally believe that the Patriot and Saint coaches and players earned those championships. Bill [belichick] and Sean [Payton] both know that.”

Harbaugh said he has always liked and admired Belichick and contacted him today to say so.

“I called him to remind him of my respect for him,” Harbaugh said. “I also reached out to Tedy Bruschi, who rightfully defended those Patriot players and coaches on ESPN, to tell him that I agree with him that the Patriots earned every victory.”

The Ravens host the Patriots in Week Three on Sunday Night Football. Harbaugh may want to take some advice from his brother and prepare in advance for his post-game handshake.

Reading the OP I thought it was pretty obvious he was talking about perceptions rather than his own opinion. Media taking things out of context as usual.

"sports journalism"...

Media at it's finest. Harbaugh said something with the intent of pointing out what others think about everything, and it was flipped into something it wasn't supposed to be. Never could have guessed that was what happened!

I "loved" Tedy Bruschi's reaction on ESPN. Man, Teddy is so a faggot over there... and not just because of this.