Sign in to follow this  
PackIsBack

NFL bans four players for Saints' bounty roles

The NFL suspended four players for their roles in the New Orleans Saints' bounty system, including linebacker Jonathan Vilma for the entire 2012 season.

In addition to Vilma, defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove (now with the Green Bay Packers) was suspended eight games, defensive Will Smith four games and linebacker Scott Fujita (now with the Cleveland Browns) three games.

All of the suspensions are without pay. The players are entitled to appeal the decision within three days. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell would hear their appeals.

The Saints seemingly had been bracing for the loss of Vilma, bolstering their linebacker corps through free agency. Linebackers Curtis Lofton and David Hawthorne were among the team's signings this offseason.

A league investigation found that from 2009-11 New Orleans coaches and players put together a bounty system that paid out improper cash bonuses for hits aimed at knocking opposing players out of games. The NFL says as many as 27 Saints participated.

Goodell already has suspended Saints coach Sean Payton for the 2012 season and fined the team $500,000. Saints former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is suspended indefinitely, New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis begins an eight-game ban after the preseason, and interim coach Joe Vitt begins serves his six-game suspension at the same time.

Payton's suspension began April 16 and runs through the Super Bowl, which, incidentally, is in New Orleans. During that time, Payton may not even have casual, non-football conversations with anyone on any NFL team without at least notifying the league office.

Source

So, only 2 of their players got suspended? Was hoping for more. And how did Fujita get suspended? I thought he was against it?

@AdamSchefter:

All 4 player suspensions will be appealed, per source who said, "Get ready for a massive multiple legal battle over this on several fronts."

Edited by BucD

I am also surprised Harper didn't get suspended.

Fujita got in this becuase he was a captain on the 2009 team. In fact all of them were captains except for Hargrove, I am not sure why he got 8 games. Goodell said he was targeting the captains for allowing and embracing this behavior.

On a plus side for the Saints, we have several DE's on the roster who are younger than Smith who are itching at their chance to shine, and we already signed replacements for Vilma. They may not have his knowledge of the game but they are good MLB'ers.

Also on the plus side that noone has mentioned, Vilma is out for the year meaning it starts right now. Barring the appeals which have to go thru Roger, his suspension will be upheld. Why is this a plus? Because now his salary doesn't count against the cap and we have the money to sign Brees longterm. Basically for the Saints Roger took the Goose but left us the golden egg.

I know I will get flamed for this but I am still wondering what evidence they have that these four players did this and if it will ever get shown. There is no video proof from the year, just 18,000 documents of 50,000 pages, that the NFL doesn't want to show the NFLPA.

Schefter says it could go to court after the appeals are upheld in which then evidence would have to come forth and the Saints fans can finally get what they want out of this which is actual physical evidence and not he said she said, unamed sources,apologies written by the NFL for coaches to say and any other such bullshit.

All in all tho Roger just gave us the money to sign Brees and that alone makes us significantly more competitive again.

The Saints knew this was going to happen. That's why they went out and grabbed both David Hawthorne and Curtis Lofton. One of them will surely be able to fill Vilmas shoes on the field.

Not sure why everyone on ESPN is making this such a huge deal. I mean, everyone had seen it coming. It was just a matter of time!

I am also surprised Harper didn't get suspended. In fact all of them were captains except for Hargrove, I am not sure why he got 8 games.

Per Rotoworld:

Packers DL Anthony Hargrove has been suspended eight games for his role in the Saints' bounty scandal.

Hargrove's suspension was more harsh than those of DE Will Smith (4 games) and LB Scott Fujita (3 games) because the NFL determined that he "actively obstructed" the league's investigation by being untruthful to officials. Hargrove also laid the infamous brutal hit on Brett Favre in the NFC Championship game. He had signed a one-year, $825,000 contract with Green Bay in late March.

OK, this is fucking absurd. Not only should Vilma miss 8 games at most, all of the suspensions need to be of equal duration. You give me four 8 gamers and I'm happy, but sitting Vilma down for an entire season when I don't even particularly recall specific hits of his that made me question his intentions--that's too much. I despise the Saints as much as anybody for being the NFL's darling when they won the Super Bowl, but this is flat out pathetic of the NFL. Equalize, redistribute, and call it a day.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 2

OK, this is fucking absurd. Not only should Vilma miss 8 games at most, all of the suspensions need to be of equal duration. You give me four 8 gamers and I'm happy, but sitting Vilma down for an entire season when I don't even particularly recall specific hits of his that made me question his intentions--that's too much. I despise the Saints as much as anybody for being the NFL's darling when they won the Super Bowl, but this is flat out pathetic of the NFL. Equalize, redistribute, and call it a day.

Thank you

But his is more severe because they have "evidence" that he put out a $10,000 bounty on Favre, and now all of a sudden he put one out on Warner as well. I am sure since Newton and Rodgers were "targets" he probably put one on them as well and we will hear about in another 2 months.

@FartWaffles- I see why Hargrove got the 8 games now, thank you for that bit of info.

I'm not so disappointed with Hargrove getting suspended. We prepared for him to be gone for a while anyways. Not sure if he'll make the roster come August, he's only signed 1 year deal.

Meh. I knew Vilma would be the one player on the Saints would be severely punished.

Vilma is the guy who allegedly offered $10k to anyone who took out Brett Favre. That's why he's gone for the year.

I was expecting a ton more suspensions than this, considering the NFL said 22-27 defensive players were involved. I guess they decided to only punish those who were captains.

I was expecting more players to be suspended. The Saints got off pretty easy as far as player suspensions. Half of the guys who got in trouble aren't even there anymore. The Saints were prepared for Vilma getting in trouble and Will Smith will only be out four games.

As long as Drew Brees is signed, there really isn't much reason to believe the Saints still won't be very good this season.

daaaaaaaaaayyum.. Vilma got the hammer!

Roman Harper got off clean, I expected him to be suspended for some reason :rolleyes:

People who are criticizing these suspensions need to re-think their position. Do you understand what was going on here?

People who are criticizing these suspensions need to re-think their position. Do you understand what was going on here?

Too be honest, no, not really anymore. I understand people are being suspended for intentions because there is no physical evidence really on the field that this was going on. Plus because there is no evidence on the field it becomes a punishment of detrimental conduct so Roger gets to be the one they appeal too.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7881761/nfl-bans-four-players-new-orleans-saints-bounty-roles

This is an interesting article on what is happening. However this part

A Saints source who testified during the league's investigation told ESPN's Ed Werder on Wednesday that he believed the league's findings are exaggerated. The source said that while the report said the program existed for three seasons, it was limited to playoff games in the Superdome against Arizona and Minnesota in 2009.

The source told Werder that the program began when Williams was concerned about creating a higher level of motivation for his defensive players as they prepared for the postseason. Before a team meeting, Williams told Vilma that he had a plan, and that the coach provided Vilma with the 10,000 dollars he offered to any teammate who knocked out Warner. The source said Vilma returned the money to Williams following the meeting.

According to the source, Williams believed the financial reward created the proper defensive mindset. So Williams and Vilma repeated the scenario the next week before playing the Vikings and Favre, who was the victim of several illegal hits, had to be helped from the field, but finished the game.

to me is a WTF is going on here. This guy testifies to the NFL this information and it turns into a 3 year bounty program. But even with this information the way the front office and coaches and even Gregg Williams responded to this from the beginning makes no sense with Ed Werder's "unamed source"

Vilma claiming this is unjust and that he will fight it till the end. Darren Sharper saying this is ridicolous and that the Saints are being singled out. STFU both of you. Yes, I understand this was probably going on for years on all 32 teams but the point is ya'll got caught and the first people who are caught are always going to be made an example of. It is what it is.

Here you go Vilma :tissue:

Ya, I was expecting the Packers to lose Hargrove for a period of time. Although I must say, I was kind of taken aback by the 8 games. What a loser... lol. Also surprised that only 4 players were given the hammer. Saints got off extremely lucky, in my opinion.