Sign in to follow this  
NaTaS

Obama Affirms Support for Same-Sex Marriage

via ABC

It's about damn time. Posturing for election perhaps but whatever the reason, it's the only logical choice.

Some quotes from the vid:

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married."

"It's interesting, some of this is also generational. You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know, believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we're talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn't dawn on them that somehow their friends' parents would be treated differently. It doesn't make sense to them and frankly, that's the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective."

Guest Phailadelphia

It's about damn time.

QFT.

Here's a move Obama's made that I'm actually a fan of.

Good. There is no room for ignorance in this country anymore. Too many important issues we need to address.

Its a sad day when a professing Christian comes out and openly says he's for gay marriage.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Who knows how he actually feels about this issue... Good for the votes though.

Edited by Barracuda

Good for the votes though.

And that's what it all boils down to.

• Upvote 1

Its a sad day when a professing Christian comes out and openly says he's for gay marriage.

"So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another." (Romans 14:1-13)

I am happy to see him make this move. I also don't think it will earn him votes. Any pro-gay marriage votes were going his way anyway, and he's waving goodbye to North Carolina and Virginia. Nonetheless, nice to see he is speaking out on the issue.

EDIT: To respond to DMac's post.

Edited by WindyCitySports

Hey if you're protestant, all you have to do is say you believe in god, then you can do whatever you want. Christian is such a weasel word these days for politicans. Anyway, on point, about damn time...

I'm glad that Obama came out and openly expressed support of gay marriage. In the case of marriage equality in this country, I think same sex couples should have the opportunity to marry the people they love without religious individuals pushing their beliefs on them. Hopefully this will give room for acceptance and stifle ignorance.

I'll never understand anyone who is against gay-marriage. I can understand just not caring either way, but to openly deny people rights is just wrong. What does it matter to you? How does it hurt you in anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

He was forced into this by Biden coming out in strong support of it.

@Dmac- While, religiously, I agree there's no way to read the Bible otherwise, how can you make the argument without bringing religion into it?

If you can't do that, then you can't deny someone the ability to marry someone else.

Now, that said, the idea that marriage is a "basic right" is pretty flawed, IMO. But then, I think the government should get out of marriage altogether.

• Upvote 2

I think the best point I've seen (what I generally agree with) is it's one thing for a church (or synagogue, or mosque, etc.) to decide they're not going to allow gay marriages to be performed in their buildings, that I'm okay with, but it's another thing entirely for the government to refuse to recognize gay marriages, that I'm not okay with

"So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another." (Romans 14:1-13)

I am happy to see him make this move. I also don't think it will earn him votes. Any pro-gay marriage votes were going his way anyway, and he's waving goodbye to North Carolina and Virginia. Nonetheless, nice to see he is speaking out on the issue.

EDIT: To respond to DMac's post.

Who said I'm passing judgement?

Me passing judgement would be saying that Obama isn't a Christian because he supports gay marriages. But that isn't what I said.

And I'm not saying, he should let his religious views guide his decisions as a leader, someone's faith should always be personal first, and should never change the way he treats individuals.

I am 200% against anything to do with homosexuality, but I go to a liberal arts college and have numerous homosexual peers, and I don't treat them with any less respect then I do anybody else as long as it doesn't get between me and my religion, admittedly, I am very good friends with 2 gays and 3 lesbians, but they all know where I stand. Which is why I said "it's a sad day when a Christian comes out and makes a statement saying he supports gay marriage." Not "it's a sad day when the President of the United States comes out and makes a statement saying he personally supports gay marriage." The position of the person doesn't matter.

• Upvote 1

I am 200% against anything to do with homosexuality

From previous discussions with you in the shoutbox, that statement isn't necessarily true. You sure seemed to like playing ass tag in the football lockeroom.... :laugh:

On a more serious note. I don't care at all what Obama thinks on the issue, although I do appreciate his advocacy of personal liberty.

However, gay marriage isn't and shouldn't be a federal issue.

• Upvote 2

I don't have a problem with gay marriage. Doesn't affect me. I'm an Atheist.

lolsanctityofmarriage, lolGod.

Edited by BenJarvus Green-Ellis
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

100 years people are going to look back on this issue and think of it the same way we think about how we used to not let women vote, or we that we used to segregate black people from white people. It's crazy to think about these things now, and back then I'm sure there were a lot of people that were not in favor of equal rights.

It's absurd to try and run a country with a religious iron-fist. Because not everyone shares the same religion, and many don't believe in anything at all.

And if someone wants to quote Leviticus:

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." (NIV)

Why don't they quote this:

Leviticus 19:28 reads, "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves:

Oh you mean like tattoos? How come nobody ever quotes that one?

Or how about:

Leviticus 11:8, which is discussing pigs, reads "You shall not eat of their flesh nor touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you."

So....like football? You know, tossing around the ol' pigskin.. and screw giving up bacon.

Just saying....

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union...." The omission of God in the Constitution did not come out of forgetfulness, but rather out of the Founding Fathers purposeful intentions to keep government separate from religion.

I disagree 100% with homesexuality and believe it's a choice, but the above comments is my reasoning as to why same-sex marriage shouldn't be in the government's hands.

• Upvote 1

Also sweetness on behalf of DMac, posting scripture from the Old Testament doesn't help your argument. Speaking from a born-again Christian mindset, Jesus dying on the cross basically wiped away how you should live in the Old Testament. Learn from the morals and parables you read in the OT, but that's it.

• Upvote 1

100 years people are going to look back on this issue and think of it the same way we think about how we used to not let women vote, or we that we used to segregate black people from white people. It's crazy to think about these things now, and back then I'm sure there were a lot of people that were not in favor of equal rights.

It's absurd to try and run a country with a religious iron-fist. Because not everyone shares the same religion, and many don't believe in anything at all.

And if someone wants to quote Leviticus:

Why don't they quote this:

Oh you mean like tattoos? How come nobody ever quotes that one?

Or how about:

So....like football? You know, tossing around the ol' pigskin.. and screw giving up bacon.

Just saying....

LOL at taking Bible quotes out of context.

Leviticus 19:26-31 is God telling the people of Israel to not partake in the exercises of surrounding religious groups. Eating bloody meat, certain haircuts, cutting yourself, or adding markings in the form of tattoos are all included in things he tells those people to avoid doing.

However... It doesn't really matter any more. As Christians, we are no longer bound by the civil and ceremonial laws of the Old Covenant (before Christ died). Being in the New Covenant, we are only bound by the moral laws of the Old Covenant.

I don't believe eating pig or getting tattoos constitute as moral laws.

EDIT

Maverick beat me. Sorry for the repeat.

Edited by Favre4Ever

As a believer in Jesus Christ. I do not support homosexuals or their practices by any means...but my job is to be an encouragement to them and be a positive supporter and influence in their lives. Hate the sin, love the sinner.

Homosexuality is no more a choice than heterosexuality. You don't choose what you are sexually attracted to; I am attracted to petite brunette women, but find tall blondes and women even slightly heavy, entirely repulsive. I don't choose to be this way, it is simply how I am wired.

As for the topic at hand; while it is good for Obama to take a stand; it shouldn't affect his supporters or detractors in any way. The government should not, at any level, have a say in who a citizen chooses to spend their life with. Period.

How would people feel if interracial marriage was outlawed (again)? Or what if they decide to no longer allow tall men to marry short women? Sure these may be extreme examples, but they are still valid.

Also sweetness on behalf of DMac, posting scripture from the Old Testament doesn't help your argument. Speaking from a born-again Christian mindset, Jesus dying on the cross basically wiped away how you should live in the Old Testament. Learn from the morals and parables you read in the OT, but that's it.

This is a HUGE quarrel that I have with Christians (even back before I got smart and became an atheist); if you cannot use the Old Testament in religious discussions, why is it still included in the Bible. You can't simply pick and choose what to believe when it best suits your argument. That is kind of like picking and choosing words to acknowledge in a dictionary.