WindyCitySports

Have you cried over sports?

The thread about songs that make you cry coupled with my crying over Kerry Wood's final game today prompted me to ask you to share. Have you ever cried over a moment in sports? It could be tears of joy or tears of sadness.

That one time the Browns were in the Playoffs when I was 8 and we lost.

When the Indians lost the ALCS in 07. I MAY have shed one tear. But no more. :p

When Dale Earnhardt was killed at Daytona.

When the Sabres were eliminated in 2010, mostly because that was their last postseason before college.

Also, when the canadians won the 2010 hockey gold medal.

Shit, 2010 sucked.

I don't think I've ever cried during a game or live event but when I've watched certain sports docs I've cried over maybe an interview or story.

I had some drunken tears during the last game of the original Browns. I had recently broken my femur and was still on pain meds post op but was at the game in a wheel chair and was drinking whilst on opiates...not a good combo. After I broke my femur...some of you know the story...I was not in a good place for a long time. The Browns leaving was icing on the cake if you will.

Bobby Cox's final game against the Giants brought tears to my eyes. Knowing such a great manager has been with one organization for so long and has given so much of himself...it was hard for me to realize that there had to of been an end. Not a torrent of tears...one or two for sure though.

When I was little, maybe. But not recently, the most recent event is probably....

When Dale Earnhardt was killed at Daytona.

I don't think I've ever cried during a game or live event but when I've watched certain sports docs I've cried over maybe an interview or story.

Yeah, yesterday was probably the first time I've cried over a moment in a game. It's usually just documentaries and interviews. Couldn't hold them back seeing a childhood hero hang them up on the home turf with his son, though.

Bobby Cox's final game against the Giants brought tears to my eyes. Knowing such a great manager has been with one organization for so long and has given so much of himself...it was hard for me to realize that there had to of been an end. Not a torrent of tears...one or two for sure though.

That one too

Oh yeah I have. Embarrassingly I cried over Brett Favre's first retirement speech when he left the Packers. I've also cried a bit when the Packers won Super Bowl 45 and when the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup a few years ago.

Never over the outcome of a game, but I did shed a tear when Darrell Green played his last game as a Redskin.

I also cried when I found out Sean Taylor had died, not a lot of tears, but a few.

I don't think sports has ever been more than the icing on the cake. Rarely do I get upset over a game when in a good state of mind/good place emotionally. Now and then a bad loss coupled with a rough stretch (be it school, work, money, death of a loved one, relationships, etc) can bring some tears to my eyes, but it's almost always more therapeutic than anything.

There's this view of crying that somehow undermines masculinity, when really it's nothing more than a therapeutic device. Everybody's weak, but not everybody is willing to admit it

Also, I've found that the majority of crying is brought on by incredibly small things that, at the time, seem as though they've gone wrong for no reason. Maybe it's just me, but it's small things that set me off, but only when they're coupled with much larger, undeniably real problems.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I've never really cried persay over sporting events... But I have been kinda depressed after my team loses a big game. Most recently the 2011 NBA Finals when Dallas beat us in our house. I couldn't watch ESPN for about a week or two. I'm the kind of person who watches ESPN all day and night. So yeah, I've never cried but I have been depressed.

I was like seven years old when the Oilers traded Warren Moon to the Vikings...

I balled like a little bitch. Moon was the reason why I watched football as a young kid. When my dad told me the news I couldn't process it at all, because I just figured he would retire with the Oilers.

Guest Phailadelphia

No, but I will if okc or Dallas ever win a title.

twice:

the deaths of Dale Earnhardt and Derrick Thomas

Last time I can remember crying over sports was when the Jets lost to the Steelers in the 2004 playoffs. Mostly I believe those were tears of anger at Doug Brien.

Never cried during sports and never will.

• Upvote 1

The only way I'm crying is if something happened to Patrick Willis.

In 2001 I was about 11 or so, and I truly believed the Mariners with their 116 wins were destined for a world series championship. That was back when Ichiro was unstoppable and Brett Boone was a home run crushing 2nd baseman and one of the toughest hitters in the league. The Yankees were ahead in the 8th inning in the 6th game of the ALCS and were up 3 games to 2, and I just lost it. Broke the remote.