Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Ray Rice, Ravens agree to 4 year deal

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to the Chicago Tribune's Dan Pompei, "it is believed" that unsigned franchise player Ray Rice is seeking a contract worth $10 million annually.

"And he is not likely to get it from the Ravens," Pompei wrote. Pompei has followed the Rice talks because fellow unsigned franchise player Matt Forte is in a similar situation with the team Pompei covers. $10 million a year would elevate Rice past Chris Johnson ($9.2M annually), and well beyond Arian Foster ($8.7M) and LeSean McCoy ($7.6M). He'd become the second highest paid running back in the league, behind only Adrian Peterson ($13.7M). May 20 - 4:30 PM

Source: Chicago Tribune

Edited by GoodellFTL

Tag him and trade him....the end.

Look man... I know Rice is basically the Ravens' entire offense but $10 million!?!?!!?

For being the entire offense, he should be getting 55 Mill a year (don't tell him I said that.)

• Upvote 1

I understand why Rice wants his money now. A lot of people forget how many carries Rice had in college. He's got a lot on his shoulders now in the NFL too. I think Ray Rice is worth 10 million dollars to the Ravens. There is absolutely no guarantee you're going to be able to replace him. I don't care what name you give me they drafted. If that offense lost Rice...and Flacco had to carry the Ravens. He'd carry them right to a 6-10 record.

Hmm. Not sure if I would give him 10 a year. CJ1K was vastly overpaid, so i am throwing that deal out.

I would take Foster over Ray, and Shady as well. So that puts him anywhere from 7-7.5 annually in my book.

• Upvote 1

I understand why Rice wants his money now. A lot of people forget how many carries Rice had in college. He's got a lot on his shoulders now in the NFL too. I think Ray Rice is worth 10 million dollars to the Ravens. There is absolutely no guarantee you're going to be able to replace him. I don't care what name you give me they drafted. If that offense lost Rice...and Flacco had to carry the Ravens. He'd carry them right to a 6-10 record.

Ray Rice is the difference between the Ravens being contenders for the AFC Crown and being sub-.500?

I love Ray. He is dynamic and brings a lot to the table, but I don't think this Ravens squad is that devoid of talent.

*Looks at when Joe Flacco was drafted*

*Looks at when Ray Rice was drafted*

Pay the man.

He's worth it imo. And I don't blame him for asking that much either... As far as I'm concerned, he caries a bigger load of that offense then anyone else. He deserves to get paid like it.

Ray Rice is the difference between the Ravens being contenders for the AFC Crown and being sub-.500?

I love Ray. He is dynamic and brings a lot to the table, but I don't think this Ravens squad is that devoid of talent.

Offensively they have a shit QB so their passing game is going to be shit. If you lose that running game then you have literally nothing offensively. Defensively their two best player play two more season maximum. I'd say resigning Rice is a pretty big priority.

Hmm. Not sure if I would give him 10 a year. CJ1K was vastly overpaid, so i am throwing that deal out.

I would take Foster over Ray, and Shady as well. So that puts him anywhere from 7-7.5 annually in my book.

Can't even remotely look at the situation that way.

The Ravens can't get Foster or Shady, so that's pretty irrelevant to the conversation. They do know they can have Ray Rice, who was their only offense in route to an AFC championship appearance/special teams mistake away from a superbowl. He's worth 10 million.

Just like how while Cortland Finnegan may have not been worth 10 mil to most teams, he would have been to the Titans, IMO, because of his impact on the defense. It's not always about the other top players at their positions. It's about what you have and what that player can do for you.

If the Ravens let Rice go, they're not a superbowl contender anymore. It's that simple. Flacco isn't good enough to carry the Ravens offense.

Offensively they have a shit QB so their passing game is going to be shit. If you lose that running game then you have literally nothing offensively. Defensively their two best player play two more season maximum. I'd say resigning Rice is a pretty big priority.

Nobody said it wasn't a big priority. But saying that the Ravens are a SB contender with Rice and a 6 win team without him is just bonkers.

Can't even remotely look at the situation that way.

The Ravens can't get Foster or Shady, so that's pretty irrelevant to the conversation. They do know they can have Ray Rice, who was their only offense in route to an AFC championship appearance/special teams mistake away from a superbowl. He's worth 10 million.

Just like how while Cortland Finnegan may have not been worth 10 mil to most teams, he would have been to the Titans, IMO, because of his impact on the defense. It's not always about the other top players at their positions. It's about what you have and what that player can do for you.

If the Ravens let Rice go, they're not a superbowl contender anymore. It's that simple. Flacco isn't good enough to carry the Ravens offense.

Please tell Ray Rice and the Ravens organization that the contracts of other RBs that have been signed this offseason are "irrelevant". Far from it.

And he is only worth financially what the Ravens (or any other team) are willing to give him. What he is worth to them ON the field is completely separate to what he is worth to them in cold hard cash.

Sometimes the two aren't nearly as even as people are led to believe. And the Ravens will put out a productive RB no matter who it is. With or without Rice, the Ravens are going to win football games.

Rice is capable of having 1k rushing yards and 1k receiving yards. You can't say the same for most of the people on that list. He is worth the money, he is no doubt the best player on the team. Getting rid of him would make that team pretty awful on offense.

$10M/yr is a little steep but I agree: pay the man. If by July we haven't settled, I'd just give in. He really is a tremendous part of our offense. It makes me nervous that this is taking so long especially after drafting Pierce. I hope something gets worked out in the next month. We can wait another year to sign Flacco long term.

you apparently don't watch Ravens games. You mean the same Ray Rice that averaged 2.9 YPC in the AFCCG and a terrible post season run. Every year we get to the playoffs he disappears.

Flacco this year was not elite but he showed up in some BIG MOMENTS so that 6-10 nonsense you are talking is just babble.

you apparently don't watch Ravens games. You mean the same Ray Rice that averaged 2.9 YPC in the AFCCG and a terrible post season run. Every year we get to the playoffs he disappears.

Flacco this year was not elite but he showed up in some BIG MOMENTS so that 6-10 nonsense you are talking is just babble.

Dude... for 17 games he is a large percentage of our offense. I want him to get payed but not $10M payed; the Ravens had to restructure Yanda's contract just to have some breathing room, not to mention they have to re-sign Flacco as well.

Dude... for 17 games he is a large percentage of our offense. I want him to get payed but not $10M payed; the Ravens had to restructure Yanda's contract just to have some breathing room, not to mention they have to re-sign Flacco as well.

He is for now. One thing about watching the Ravens since 96 is we will find an effective rusher from somewhere. In the last decade we have had 900 + yards rushing from somewhere. linke in 2008 when our FB had over 900 yards.

Ray Rice is a luxury not a necessity, people are getting that confused. We were contenders before he got here and will be after he leaves (next season hopefully after a big trade)

• Upvote 1

He is for now. One thing about watching the Ravens since 96 is we will find an effective rusher from somewhere. In the last decade we have had 900 + yards rushing from somewhere. linke in 2008 when our FB had over 900 yards.

Ray Rice is a luxury not a necessity, people are getting that confused. We were contenders before he got here and will be after he leaves (next season hopefully after a big trade)

The Ravens were PLAYOFF contenders before Ray Rice. This isn't 2000, The Ravens haven't been serious Super Bowl contenders until Ray Rice gave them a little fire power.

and to your point about Rice not showing up in the playoffs, he fucking TORCHED the Pats that one year and when playoff caliber teams face somebody with Joe Flacco at QB. They stack the box and devote basically their entire defensive game plans to stopping the ONE guy on that offense that scares them. When playoff caliber do that, it's awfully hard for a back to get going.

The Ravens were PLAYOFF contenders before Ray Rice. This isn't 2000, The Ravens haven't been serious Super Bowl contenders until Ray Rice gave them a little fire power.

and to your point about Rice not showing up in the playoffs, he fucking TORCHED the Pats that one year and when playoff caliber teams face somebody with Joe Flacco at QB. They stack the box and devote basically their entire defensive game plans to stopping the ONE guy on that offense that scares them. When playoff caliber do that, it's awfully hard for a back to get going.

So the year they were 13-3 pre Ray Rice was what ?

And Flacco TORCHED them this year. If you use that logic then every time Ray Rice does well it is because Flacco scares them deep ???

Big Players show up in Big Moments. Ray Rice has been nowhere to be found since 2009 in the playoffs.

I don't think the Ravens would be 6-10 without RR, but I think we'd be 9-7 or 8-8. Ray Rice is our offense. There's no denying it. I may be biased because he's my favorite player but we need him more than he needs us. We've got to pay up.

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported on NFL Live Wednesday that unsigned franchise player Ray Rice wants "Adrian Peterson money," and the Ravens are unwilling to pay it.

"This holdout could end in training camp, if then," Sal Pal said. "... He wants Adrian Peterson money. He would like to have Chris Johnson money, which means about $30 million guaranteed. And I was told by a Ravens team official, a senior official, 'That is simply not going to happen.'" Paolantonio hinted that Rice could be headed for an extended holdout. He's had no recent contact with Ravens brass, and the sides appear to be far apart two months before camp. May 23 - 4:12 PM

Amen. I don't think you need a GREAT running back in this league anymore. Ray Rice is absolutely near the top of the list of RBs I'd want... But the position is no longer one in which you need an elite player to be successful.

I think Bernard Pierce is going to be awesome. Is he going to be Marshall Faulk or even as dynamic as Rice? Unlikely. But the dude is gonna knock you on your ass and be an established and effective runner.

I see no reason to give Ray Rice "Adrian Peterson money".

None.

Amen. I don't think you need a GREAT running back in this league anymore. Ray Rice is absolutely near the top of the list of RBs I'd want... But the position is no longer one in which you need an elite player to be successful.

I think Bernard Pierce is going to be awesome. Is he going to be Marshall Faulk or even as dynamic as Rice? Unlikely. But the dude is gonna knock you on your ass and be an established and effective runner.

I see no reason to give Ray Rice "Adrian Peterson money".

None.

I might agree with you JD if the rest of their offense (Joe Flacco) wasn't trash. You need a dynamic versatile player to lean on.

I might agree with you JD if the rest of their offense (Joe Flacco) wasn't trash. You need a dynamic versatile player to lean on.

You must listen to the media. Flacco is far from trash. At worst he is average.