Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

I doubt they do that, they said they want him to break the fourth wall and be the Merc with the Mouth. I'm pumped for this movie, hell I'm looking forward to all the new hero movies though, starting with The Dark Knight Rises this week.

I would have doubted that they ruin such a great character like that in the Wolverine movie though, too. So much for that. lol

If only Ryan Reynolds could try being less goofy. Deadpool is not goofy. Too much goofiness, not enough bad assery.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Here is some video of the ComicCon announcements from Marvel.

I'm bored and decided to do another list, top 10 comic book heroes. This is my personal opinion, not necesarily the most popular in general. I might do a villains list too.

10.Captain America

Steven_Rogers_(Earth-616).jpg

Publisher: Marvel Comics

Captain America has been able to survive his World War II popularity as symbol of patriotism and still thrive in modern times as one of the most popular comic book characters around. It is the story of a scrawny young man trying to do nothing but fight for his country, but constantly rejected for his small size and diseases, Steve Rogers partakes in the Super Soldier program to turn him into the world's mighiest hero to defeat the evil forces of the Nazis and HYDRA. What makes Cap unique is not just his patriotism, but his by the book soldier attitude he takes to every situation. Cap is certainly one of the best and most popular comic book characters around and with the Marvel Universie movies going strong, there is no reason to expect that to change.

9.Ant-Man (Hank Pym)

Ant-Man-Casting.jpg

Hank Pym is a renowned scientist who gives himself the ability to shrink and become Ant-Man and also the ability to grow and become Giant Man, making him a versatile hero capable of taking down his villains in multiple ways. Hank has been portrayed differently in several storylines, sometimes as arrogant and others as peaceful looking only to use his powers to help rehabilitate villains. Hank is also known for creating one of the Marvel Universe's most powerful villains, Ultron, and for his relationship with Janet van Dyne (Wasp). The character isn't one of Marvel's more known heroes, but Ant-Man comic sales are rising and a feature film directed by Edgar Wright appears to be in the works, possibly in time for the character to appear in an Avengers sequel so things appear to be looking up for Hank Pym.

8.Wolverine

marvel-comics-wolverine-wallpaper.jpg

Though I am not a huge X-Men fan in general, Wolverine is certainly one of the more iconic and badass heroes of all time. His adamantium bones make him nearly indestructable and his famous claws rip his enemies to shreds. However, I am not a major fan of the popular yellow and blue outfit Wolverine has worn in many adaptions. I prefer the character in normal clothes, there is no reason for him to be dressed up.

7.Deadpool

178px-Deadpool.png

Deadpool is easily one of the most interesting comic book characters around. He is a mercenary with a loud mouth and unpredictable nature. He is well known for breaking the fourth wall in comics and annoying his enemies and even allies with his constant banter. But despite his loud mouth, he is a badass killing machine.

6.Thor

ThorBright.gif

Thor is unlike any other superhero. He didn't get his powers from some radioactive accident or experiment, Thor is the great God of Thunder from Asgard. Holding his mighty hammer, Mjolnir, Thor takes on the mightiest foes from all the nine realms. His relationship with his adopted evil brother Loki is one of the greatest hero/villain combinations in comics.

5.Rorschach

Watchmen-rorschach.jpg

Publisher: DC Comics

Rorschach is one of my favorite characters, he is almost like a poor man's Batman as a dark vigilante with great detecive abilities and disturbed mind/reality. Despite obviously not being completly right in the head, Rorschach takes a strong stand against immoral acts, even if it takes some frowned up actions to stop it. His character single handily made Watchmen memorable for me.

4.Hulk

hulk-2.jpg

Everyone knows the story of Bruce Banner and how he transforms in the Hulk when angered. All of us have anger and sometimes wish you could just go on a rampage to make yourself feel better, but the Hulk maginifies that times a thousand. He has passed the test of time through comics, TV and film as one of the genre's most popular characters.

3.Iron Man

iron-man.jpg

Tony Stark is one of the world's richest men with his families' massive company Stark Industries. After being kidnapped by terrorists, Stark is able to build a giant metal suit to escape. Upon realizing his own weapons were being used against America, he looked to stand a new moral ground, upgrading the suit and becoming Iron Man. What makes Iron Man so unique of a character is that he is one of the few heroes to throw the "secret identity" out the window. Tony is an arrogant character who loves attention and has no problem letting the world know he is Iron Man. With Robert Downey, Jr. portraying the character in popular films, the character's popularity has nowhere to go but up.

2.Spider-Man

Spiderman_news.gif

Spidey has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. Shooting webs and swinging around stopping bad guys was always an awesome idea. What makes Spidey a great character is that beyond his superhero persona, Peter Parker is a normal guy having to struggle with every day life. He isn't a billionaire like Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark, he has to provide for himself and his Aunt May while also getting through school all while saving New York from some of the biggest baddies in comics.

*drum roll*

1.Batman

2284955-profile_batman.png

Publisher: DC Comics

Batman is the ultimate comic book hero. Batman is light enough to interest young kids and dark enough to hold the interest of adults. Bruce Wayne walks a tightrope of good and evil everyday while secretly being Gotham's vigilante, refusing to kill any of his foes for fear of losing it and becoming no better than what he strives to defeat. Batman also has easily the greatest gallery of rogues in comic books, period. That will become evident when I do my villains list. All in all, it is hard to make a more awesome superhero than the Dark Knight himself.

• Upvote 1

I decided to re-adjust my top 10 hero movie list from earlier in this thread after seeing the summer's films.

Was previously...

10.The Punisher

9.Spider-Man

8.Watchmen

7.Batman Returns

6.Thor

5.Batman Begins

4.Iron Man

3.Batman

2.The Avengers

1.The Dark Knight

Is now...

10.The Amazing Spider-Man

9.Watchmen

8.Batman Returns

7.Thor

6.Iron Man

5.Batman Begins

4.Batman

3.The Avengers

2.The Dark Knight Rises

1.The Dark Knight

I added TDKR and TASM in there and decided to swap BB and IM after thinking about it. :yep:

I honestly feel like The Joker is the reason that The Dark Knight is better then TDKR

Also concerning Bane Vs. Batman

I loved it how he actually broke his back in the movie, which is pretty much what he does to him in the comics. Almost in the same fashion

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

I honestly feel like The Joker is the reason that The Dark Knight is better then TDKR

Also concerning Bane Vs. Batman

I loved it how he actually broke his back in the movie, which is pretty much what he does to him in the comics. Almost in the same fashion

I am putting Bane on almost equal footing as The Joker. There are other issues I had with the movie, which is why I would put TDK slightly above TDKR.

Random, but... I've been thinking of other movies I want to see... And I want a Gambit movie. His own story, not a cool cameo in Wolverine.

• Upvote 1

The Dark Knight Rises supposedly hit 161 million for opening weekend box office. Way short of The Avengers' 207 million. But considering the Colorado tragedy and lack of 3D, TDKR did well for itself.

So now that the TDKR is finally out, what does everyone prefer between that and The Avengers? I think I gotta go with The Avengers. TDKR is a better movie, but I was more entertained during The Avengers.

Both were great movies, but I preferred TKDR. It didn't have as much action, but the story was way better and I love Nolan's style. The Avengers was a comic book movie, TDKR is a movie based on a comic book character.

So now that the TDKR is finally out, what does everyone prefer between that and The Avengers? I think I gotta go with The Avengers. TDKR is a better movie, but I was more entertained during The Avengers.

The Avengers was better.

TDKR was inconsistent and had far too many moments where I said, "There's no way that worked out like that."

The two major female characters were poorly developed as well as Wayne's rival in business. The criminal plot seemed to be drawn out with the express purpose of allowing Batman to recover in time to save the day. John Blake's character was solidly acted but seemed almost pointless without a longer denouement. One of the big things throughout all of these movies that bugged me is that its plainly obvious to anyone who thought about it for more than 30 seconds who Batman is, and at least a couple people figured it out in this one. There's more issues but this touches on some of them.

oh and the pull away shots of Manhattan that seemed to be every other shot in the movie are off putting. Manhattan's skyline is too iconic to try and pass off as some other (even fictional) city.

Edited by GA_Eagle

@Eagle-

Catwoman would have needed her own movie to develop her. I thought Hathaway did a fantastic job acting her, and I normally despise Hathaway.

@Eagle-

Catwoman would have needed her own movie to develop her. I thought Hathaway did a fantastic job acting her, and I normally despise Hathaway.

I don't disagree with the acting part. Thought she did a nice job. Catwoman is an intricate character and there's a lot at play there so I agree that it might have been too much to ask in this movie...

but is too much to ask to at least understand why she dresses up as a cat? Everyone of consequence already knew who she was so there was really no point.

Edited by GA_Eagle

I don't disagree with the acting part. Thought she did a nice job. Catwoman is an intricate character and there's a lot at play there so I agree that it might have been too much to ask in this movie...

but is too much to ask to at least understand why she dresses up as a cat? Everyone of consequence already knew who she was so there was really no point.

She's a cat burglar, I think that's where the name comes from here. I didn't really catch that she was ever dressed up as a cat, they gave her some stuff that could have been pointed ears from the tech she had, but it was never really anything more than that.

She's a cat burglar, I think that's where the name comes from here. I didn't really catch that she was ever dressed up as a cat, they gave her some stuff that could have been pointed ears from the tech she had, but it was never really anything more than that.

Eh, I 'spose... though it feels like an excuse. She was definitely wearing a mask despite everyone she dealt with in the entire movie knowing exactly who she was nearly from the get go. What did that tech do anyway? Was it like Luke's useless targeting eyepiece?

Thought of something else that bothered me... There should be a ton more cops left in the city even with a couple thousand in the sewer, which were inexplicably kept alive by a guy that plans on blowing up the whole city anyway... NYPD employs 35000 officers, Gotham has 12 million people in it (4 million more than NYC) there should be an overwhelming amount of officers left. Far more than Bane could hope to hunt down. I 'spose you can explain that away by assuming Bane will have the person pull the trigger on the bomb and so people went into hiding.

I already knew Miranda Tate was Talia Al Ghul going into it so that reveal was ruined for me before I saw the movie so I was wondering how others felt about it.

Bane was awesome. I dunno why I feel like picking this apart. I really like the movie. Just a bit disappointed in some of the character actions that make no sense in any real world except to get to the next plot point.

Edited by GA_Eagle

So, I finally hit up my local comic book shop today and bought the first two Marvel Zombies graphic novels and the latest Deadpool comic. Pretty cool, I'm becoming a full comic book nerd. :yep:

Dunno if this needs spoilers or not, but i will just because...

Ya, I am not sure what else they needed to explain about catwoman. As Thanatos said, she really deserves her own movie IMO... But they spent a good 5 minutes with Bruce Wayne in the batcave for the first time in 8 years, discussing Selina Kyle and why she does what she does. She is a master thief and CAT burglar. How many of those newspapers on Bruces computer had the word "Cat" in big bold print? lol... It's pretty obvious why she dresses up the way she does. She has goggles that she puts up to form what looks like cat ears. That was explained as much as it needed to be for this film. Otherwise she wears what.. a leather suit? I don't care why she picked a leather suit over a chrome one... lol

Complaining about the number of cops in the tunnel is REALLY nitpicking... lol. Instead of saying 3,000, if they say 50,000 no problem? Whether there is one cop or 50,000 cops in those tunnels... The point was that a vast majority of the force was down there. The actual number is completely irrelevant.

Also, the twist with Miranda tate... While completely obvious. Was terribly done. The character of Miranda / Talia was just bad in general.

And the criminal plot was not drawn out... This isn't the Joker who just does whatever he wants without a care for anyone or anything. Bane is SO DIFFERENT... Everything is thought out. He is nothing short of a true intellectual. Bane wants to torture the "guilty" (who is practically every citizen of Gotham, as the city has been deemed unable to be saved) mentally with the thought of having a normal citizen as the trigger person... He wants every person to live and act in fear.

It completely makes sense that the bomb detonation period is timed, and not just some instant thing.

And it doesn't matter if everyone or no one knows who Batman is. He doesn't wear the mask for himself... And Robin's primary role is that he holds a lot of the same ideals as Bruce does/did... He is going to become Batman because it doesn't matter who dresses up like Batman.. It's what Batman stands for and represents that is important.

Dunno if this needs spoilers or not, but i will just because...

Ya, I am not sure what else they needed to explain about catwoman. As Thanatos said, she really deserves her own movie IMO... But they spent a good 5 minutes with Bruce Wayne in the batcave for the first time in 8 years, discussing Selina Kyle and why she does what she does. She is a master thief and CAT burglar. How many of those newspapers on Bruces computer had the word "Cat" in big bold print? lol... It's pretty obvious why she dresses up the way she does. She has goggles that she puts up to form what looks like cat ears. That was explained as much as it needed to be for this film. Otherwise she wears what.. a leather suit? I don't care why she picked a leather suit over a chrome one... lol

Complaining about the number of cops in the tunnel is REALLY nitpicking... lol. Instead of saying 3,000, if they say 50,000 no problem? Whether there is one cop or 50,000 cops in those tunnels... The point was that a vast majority of the force was down there. The actual number is completely irrelevant.

Also, the twist with Miranda tate... While completely obvious. Was terribly done. The character of Miranda / Talia was just bad in general.

And the criminal plot was not drawn out... This isn't the Joker who just does whatever he wants without a care for anyone or anything. Bane is SO DIFFERENT... Everything is thought out. He is nothing short of a true intellectual. Bane wants to torture the "guilty" (who is practically every citizen of Gotham, as the city has been deemed unable to be saved) mentally with the thought of having a normal citizen as the trigger person... He wants every person to live and act in fear.

It completely makes sense that the bomb detonation period is timed, and not just some instant thing.

And it doesn't matter if everyone or no one knows who Batman is. He doesn't wear the mask for himself... And Robin's primary role is that he holds a lot of the same ideals as Bruce does/did... He is going to become Batman because it doesn't matter who dresses up like Batman.. It's what Batman stands for and represents that is important.

I disagree about the criminal plot, completely. It would make sense if he didn't underestimate Wayne... sorta. He and Talia of all people should know what Wayne is capable of and to think he was "broken" forever is against his carefully planned nature. It was 5 months long in order to allow for Batman to have a chance to recover. Nothing else about the length of his plan makes sense. The plan was always to destroy Gotham and the bs excuse to keep everyone alive so they have "hope" makes no sense. When did he give them hope?

There was no point in keeping 3000 out of a 50000 estimated police force alive in the tunnels except that it allowed for the ending. There is no way they were in there for 5 months without figuring a way out. 3000 people is a lot. Gordon sending them all down there in the first place was an incredibly stupid move from a character who's supposed to be smart, and only served to advance the plot. The tactics are terrible here. These are people who are not trained for this kinda of scenario; charging through dark tunnels to do combat in the effing sewer? yea right.

There is no way there weren't thousands and thousands and thousands of more cops above ground to mount a greater resistence. Far more officers than Bane could hope to overwhelm. The idea was stupid and they should have done away with it entirely except they wanted to artificially create drama, and assume the viewer would say," its ok its a comic book movie" and allow for it. Sorry, Nolan raised the bar with the last two movies and I can't accept it in this universe.

Again, I enjoyed this movie but there were many elements that took me out of my willing suspension of disbelief. I'll give you the Catwoman stuff, though I did find it funny that she bothered donning the mask at the end, especially. Bane was awesome.

Edited by GA_Eagle

I disagree about the criminal plot, completely. It would make sense if he didn't underestimate Wayne... sorta. He and Talia of all people should know what Wayne is capable of and to think he was "broken" forever is against his carefully planned nature. It was 5 months long in order to allow for Batman to have a chance to recover. Nothing else about the length of his plan makes sense. The plan was always to destroy Gotham and the bs excuse to keep everyone alive so they have "hope" makes no sense. When did he give them hope?

There was no point in keeping 3000 out of a 50000 estimated police force alive in the tunnels except that it allowed for the ending. There is no way they were in there for 5 months without figuring a way out. 3000 people is a lot. Gordon sending them all down there in the first place was an incredibly stupid move from a character who's supposed to be smart, and only served to advance the plot. The tactics are terrible here. These are people who are not trained for this kinda of scenario; charging through dark tunnels to do combat in the effing sewer? yea right.

There is no way there weren't thousands and thousands and thousands of more cops above ground to mount a greater resistence. Far more officers than Bane could hope to overwhelm. The idea was stupid and they should have done away with it entirely except they wanted to artificially create drama, and assume the viewer would say," its ok its a comic book movie" and allow for it. Sorry, Nolan raised the bar with the last two movies and I can't accept it in this universe.

Again, I enjoyed this movie but there were many elements that took me out of my willing suspension of disbelief. I'll give you the Catwoman stuff, though I did find it funny that she bothered donning the mask at the end, especially. Bane was awesome.

The five months is how long it would take a reactor to decay.

And he broke the guy's back. Of course he would think he's out of the fight. As Favre said, Bane is about punishing the guilty. In his eyes, he wants to punish Wayne for interfering. Simply killing him doesn't really do that.

I read Marvel Zombies: Dead Days tonight, it was long but excellent. It mostly revolved around the Fantastic Four, but you saw a lot of the Marvel characters in a unique way. I have the sequel that follows it up, but I'll read it tommorrow so I have something to do.

I read Marvel Zombies: Dead Days tonight, it was long but excellent. It mostly revolved around the Fantastic Four, but you saw a lot of the Marvel characters in a unique way. I have the sequel that follows it up, but I'll read it tommorrow so I have something to do.

Been meaning to check Marvel Zombies out. Worth it then?

Been meaning to check Marvel Zombies out. Worth it then?

Yeah, I loved it. I read Marvel Zombies 2 today as well, both were good reads. But, I think all the books/issues beyond MZ2 isn't in the same continuation.

Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale give their blessings to rebooting Batman.

Christopher Nolan And Christian Bale Give Their Blessing To Whoever Takes Over Batman Series (SPOILERS)

Posted by Joseph Lee on 07.28.2012

Now that they're done...

Perez Hilton reports that both Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale have given their blessing to whoever takes over the Batman franchise now that they are done with it.

"When I first met with Paul Levitz of DC Comics prior to Batman Begins, he explained to me clearly that Batman, of all superheroes, has thrived on reinterpretation and almost is strengthened by it. I'm talking about over the years in the comic books but also in the movies. So when the time is right, whenever someone does whatever the next iteration of the character is, they simply need to be true."

Meanwhile, Christian Bale gave his own take on the matter to MTV.

Bale said: "I'm very intrigued to see another interpretation of it at this point."

He also discussed his opinion of the various people to play Batman before he and Nolan gave their interpretation. He added: "There have been many wonderful ones. Adam West did it fantastically, spoofing it. I'm sincere. He really did. We return to the dark, which I'm told is what Bob Kane originally intended when he created this. Chris has managed to make it topical. With Bob Kane, it was topical as well. World War II was breaking out. So it would be very interesting to see what someone else does with the character. I'd be the first one there to watch."

There are spoilers following this sentence.

He also commented on how would react to Joseph Gordon-Levitt's Robin taking over, which was implied at the end of the film. Bale previously said he never wanted Robin in the Nolan films. He added: "I was talking out of turn somewhat, regardless of what my wishes would have been. It was not my choice and never was.

Christopher Nolan and Christopher Bale are easily the best Batman movie combo ever. Not only is their Batman trilogy the best Batmans, it is the best super hero movie / trilogy of all time. The Batman series beats out the X-men, Spider Man, Super Man, Avengers, and Iron Man. Sad to see them go. Best director and Batman to this date.