Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

I don't know what to think, really. Lol. Soooooo much going on.

I do agree with Milla though that Thor had the best progression throughout the film. Stormbreaker is incredibly bad ass and him arriving on Wakanda was the best single moment in the film (IMO). I got literal chills and the entire theater burst out into applause. Amazing.

And yeah, I think Strange saw all of this. This was the one possibility / outcome that would lead to the defeat of Thanos. Remember, on the way to Titan... Strange said he would covet the stone over the lives of Stark and Peter and let them die before giving it up... He doesn't do the opposite just for shits and giggles.

One other thing I think Milla nails is that the snap is just setting up for a Stark / Cap reunion that leads to the original Avengers crew to get in that last big epic moment / team up before the next phase of the MCU falls in place and we start really expanding beyond the relatively small world we've been confined to. Maybe even an Iron Man / Capt. America double team sacrifice.. The two leaders of the Avengers coming together to give themselves up and undo this shit would be epic.

One thing that did kind of annoy me though... Why was Vision so completely dog shit worthless? Maybe my memory is screwed up but I don't remember him being so pathetic in the other films. lol. I understand he gets stabbed multiple times and is hurt for a duration of the movie but still... Seems like they nerfed him to fit some plot holes, but whatever I suppose.

One other minor complaint. The film didn't get really as deep as I thought it would. So many of these more recent Marvel films are amazing, action-packed, thrilling.. but there is also this underlying message or sub-conscious commentary. We got some of that with Thanos retrieving the Soul Stone (cost of power, sacrifice, etc, etc) but it lacked that extra umph that IW2 is gonna have to pick the mantle up on (and I think it will).

EDIT:
Fuck off for killing Heimdall.
/EDIT

Finally... I fully admit, I am NOT the biggest comic guy. Pretty much all of the characters we've seen up to this point -- I've had at least a basic understanding of them, their powers and backgrounds, etc. But we are expanding to a point where that isn't going to be true for much longer. That after-credits scene.... kinda blah to me (and maybe it's just because I don't understand it)... But the way the scene played out made it feel like Capt. Marvel was going to be some big hero or whatever. Isn't she just... superman? What does she bring to the table that is going to turn the tables on Thanos, exactly? I don't have a great understand of the character, so... maybe there is something, but as it sits I think their yearning to hype up Captain Marvel cuts into the epicness that should be this original Avengers team up.

Overall fantastic movie. I loved it.. So much fun, so much laughter (loved the Squidward line as well as the Aliens reference from Peter most). But at the end of the day and looking towards tomorrow.. Idk how well this movie will stand on its own merits. I understand it has a purpose for setting up for this big showdown and figuring out how to reverse the snap... But I wonder if that's all it is.

More thoughts to come as I take this all in...

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever

There are spoilers for both IW and Black Panther in here, ye be warned.

Captain Marvel gets her powers from Mar-vell, an alien. Mar-vell has has run-ins with Thanos, one in particular that stands out.

Thanos got his hands on what was essentially a cosmic wish lamp, the Cosmic Cube, and willed himself to be a god, essentially. Mar-vell undid what Thanos had done after he tossed aside the Cube, thinking he had used up its power.

Captain Marvel should/could have the same power, i.e. if she finds the Infinity Gauntlet...

I also don't think Loki is dead. At least I hope they didn't have him go out like that. Him dying is fine, but not him just going after Thanos with a dagger. The god of mischief has to be better than that. Plus there was that weird scene where he disappeared for five minutes after seemingly being a prisoner. Plus, shouldn't he have become a Frost Giant and turned all blue when he died? His death was quite brutal for a PG13 movie, Thanos literally crushed his neck.

I think Ant-Man is going to be key to this somehow, because there was an easter egg about a poster for IW which when blown up you can see Ant-Man on the gauntlet, specifically hitching a ride on the soul stone.

If it ends up just being a time travel thing to fix everything, I'm going to be a bit let down, but I honestly don't see how they could do anything else. There is no way on earth they actually killed Black Panther- and remember he's the last one, since Killmonger burned the flowers that give him his superhuman abilities.

I actually thought they might kill Spidey, I thought it would be a tearjerker and a powerful scene, and Peter crumbling to dust while saying he's afraid and doesn't want to go... yeah.

Thor entering the battlefield is up there in terms of greatest scenes in the Marvel cinematic universe, was just amazing. It's too bad he didnt find Thanos a bit before, but having Thor just show up and kill Thanos with a superweapon would have been cheap as fuck.

I am confused as to how Cap was actually able to hold back the Infinity Gauntlet, I remember the trailer only showed Thanos with two stones, but he actually had five at that point. Some people were speculating Cap must have the Soul Stone, but he didn't.

But yeah I think all the heroes who were dusted will come back, but the others are probably dead for good. There is a possibility that they're not actually dead but in the soulstone? Which I think is where little Gamora was at the end there with Thanos?

I don't know, but even knowing all those heroes are coming back didn't cheapen the movie at all. It felt amazing, so many great moments.

Also I get its a movie and winning easily would spoil the whole thing, but Doctor Strange is an idiot. They had Thanos under control and they were worried about trying to physically pull the gauntlet off? Make a portal at his shoulder and then close it. Boom. Arm gone, problem solved.

Edited by Thanatos

Thor Ragnarok was pretty disappointing for me, not going to lie. It wasn't bad but definitely closer to run of the mill than good or great like I was told. For all of the hype it got and all the Norse characters touted to appear...I feel like it fell very far short of it's potential.

That's all we got from Fenrir and Ragnarok? Hel was cool. I feel like more time was needed on the actual story than hashing out whatever happened to Hulk and the trash planet, which I found to be a bit long. And I know it's a superhero movie but the Scourge sequence at the end was beyond cringey.

Last complaint: the forced comedy was a bit much at times.

yolo double post

IW was just great entertainment. I thought the movie was masterfully put together. Thor, Thanos, and Strange were the highlights of the movie. I didn't fully appreciate Thanos' plan until the end of the movie when a college aged woman a few seats down from me was balling her eyes out and half the people left before the credits ended.

I mean for obvious reasons Spiderman, Black Panther, etc. aren't dead lol, I agree with F4E though...Vision was a whole lot of nothing! Losing Heimdall sucks, Loki...eh he was on borrowed time.

Spiderman Homecoming was also good. LOVED the modern take on Vulture. And that twist was actually amazing.

Only read a couple here before work but the Vision and Wong ones were hilarious. lol

Caught up on the movies I needed to see before IW, which I'll hopefully do this weekend.

Doc Strange: 8/10

Probably the best out the three. The Doc is OP, so I can't wait to see how they deal with his OPness in IW. Dormammu is supposed to be one of the Doc's strongest foes, and instead the film turns him into a punk who throws a hissy fit over a lil time magic.

Thor: Ragnarok: 7/10

Something is off about this entire movie. It's pretty and well done, but something is missing. It kinda feels very much like an 80s movie, which I think was the intent. Needed more Jeff Goldblum, and definitely needed more Surtr. Surtr is secretly the hero in Norse mythology (which I get that this version is based off of the comic character. but eh), IMO, and having him come off as a cartoon character, especially in the beginning of the movie, is annoying.

Spiderman: Homecoming. 7/10

High school is annoying. Tony Stark needed to be around more. I thought there was going to be a great moment leading up to the dance, but instead the conflict was resolved shortly afterward. Thought Vulture was gonna be more relateable as well, but welp, and it was cool seeing my boy Mike Milligan in something since Fargo. Also, are they setting up Michael Mando to be Hobgoblin or Green Goblin? Stuff seemed weird in the post credit scene.

I really don't feel the need to watch either Thor nor Spiderman again.

Edited by Vin

Finally watched Infinity War last night.

tumblr_m2p9fvey6I1ql3a4xo1_500.gif

This movie needs a different ending. Something that actually feels like an ending and not just a black screen while you wait for the Part II title card to show up would've gone a long way towards making it feel like it's own movie. Still thought it was solid.

The characters were handled pretty well, I thought, which I was sorta surprised by. Everyone got to do stuff without them feeling like a cameo, which was nice.

Loki's probably dead. But him randomly appearing to confront Thanos felt weird. Maybe it means something, maybe not. Even if he survived he's still probably floating out there in space. Again.

Hulk getting beat up and then not wanting to come out and play for the rest of the movie was pretty great.

I don't buy into Thanos being a good villain. I mean, he's good in the sense that he's an obvious threat to the heroes, but I didn't feel anything during his backstory or his stuff with Gamora. Maybe sympathetic villain is the better term instead of "good".

Power levels in this feel really inconsistent too. Black Widow shouldn't be able to hang with Thanos' head minions (which if memory serves, never actually get a name outside of Ebony Maw, which is funny given that I think they're fairly prominent in the comics). Thor is crazy broken at this point (how do you kill someone who can tank a star?) dude can solo Thanos and I don't really like that. Doc Strange is also OP. though a lil bit of that OPness on the good doctor's part is the time stone, so with that gone maybe things'll be better (until he gets it back and everything is just time stone shenanigans for the rest of the character's existence).

I actually liked the Star-Lord/Thanos stuff. Everyone mad at him for messing things up (Chris Pratt is taking heat in real life for it too, which is funny) should've remembered about Doc Strange looking into the future, so everything that happened had to happen (yay OPness).

Ironman's new suit is pretty cool. All sorts of fun stuff in the Thanos fight that'll probably never be used again on anything cuz it seems that's how things work. (Except for the Hulkbuster)

On the topic of Thanos: were there rules regarding the infinity gauntlet and infinity stones that I missed? He's got an all-powerful glove that can do anything he wants, but instead of making more resources to solve his problem, or creating a new reality in which none of the bad stuff ever happened to him, he just decides that killing half the universe is the way to go, despite that being just a temp solution anyway.

Vision is totally getting rebuilt by Shuri, I can feel it.

The final Wakanda fight felt fairly underwhelming, though I was reminded of this https://youtu.be/qLSezK6_N5w?t=78 (which is one of the greatest trailers for a completely optional game mode ever) and it made me laugh.

I had the Spiderman death spoiled for me, so I was kinda expecting that to essentially be the climax, but then Black Panther poof'd and I was honestly shocked. Then everyone else died. :fbm:

The next movie is going to be gloomy as hell. All the funny people are dead except for Ironman.

Speaking of Ironman, him and Nebula together could be really fun, because it's such a random pairing. If the next movie ruins their getting off of Titan with a handwave via timeskip I'm going to be really unhappy.

No mid-credit scene is lame.

Making people sit through an eternity of credits to get to the post-credit scene we got is lamer. Fury is dead, cool, but hey, here's Captain Marvel's logo and color scheme. Please be excited.

I think that's all I've got. Kinda ramble-y, but eh.

Edited by Vin

Deadpool 2: 10/10 Definitely a fave of the year.

Did we just get trolled though? One post-credit scene basically made half the movie pointless and kinda ruined what was a special moment in the film imo. But that didn't ruin the fun I had with the movie.

Edited by Sparty

I think the first Deadpool movie was a better overall movie, but I had more fun and laughed more at the second.

We totally got trolled, but that's what Deadpool does best. Besides kill people. Plus it sets up the X-Force movie that's expected to be made before the Disney buyout is complete.

Domino and Cable were total badasses. I was not let down.

This is the first time in my timeline that the FLash has surpassed Arrow. Holy Finale, Batman! Wow.

Go.Frontier-Design-for-Outreach-Piece-Fa

Anyone else been watching Cloak and Dagger ?

https://deadline.com/2018/07/james-gunn-fired-guardians-of-the-galaxy-disney-offensive-tweets-1202430392/

UPDATED (keep refreshing as this shocking story mushrooms): The open question now of whether James Gunn will follow through on plans he tweeted to come to San Diego Comic-Con today for the Sony Pictures panel, where he produced a horror film and was prepared to stump it in a surprise appearance: he’s not. Insiders say he will not attend the session set for 6:15 at Hall H.

PREVIOUS: James Gunn has been removed as director of the Guardians Of The Galaxy series after a batch of old social media dispatches were unearthed that touched on areas like pedophilia and rape. In the latest shocking #metoo development in the entertainment industry, Gunn was severed from the Marvel Comics Universe after a slew of social media posts he wrote before getting Guardians of the Galaxy surfaced. According to Fox News, they were posted because Gunn is an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump and the effort was to knock him down a few pegs.

Mission accomplished. Gunn has long been a provocateur who has drawn ire in the past for his unusual humor. Among the tweets that forced Disney and Marvel’s hand were: “I like when little boys touch me in my silly place.”

Another: “The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!’” There were others that made satirical comments about the 9/11 attack, AIDS and the Holocaust. Yet another described a monkey masturbating on a young child, and his commentary that it made him “extremely happy.” These missives were not funny and entirely disturbing, given a preoccupation with fetishing underage boys. That left him a sitting duck for his retroactive social media commentary.

Disney responded quickly and decisively: “The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” said Alan Horn, Walt Disney Studios chairman, in a statement just released.

Disney and Marvel had never announced that Gunn would direct the third installment of Guardians of the Galaxy, but Gunn certainly declared it on social media. And after Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last summer grossed $863 million worldwide, to the original’s $773 million, there was every expectation he would remain at the helm. After all, the sly humor and tone that just crushed his career trajectory helped fuel the irreverently humorous tone of the Guardians franchise.

Since the fall of Harvey Weinstein, a heightened level of sensitivity in Hollywood has led to one headline after another, from Scarlett Johansson withdrawing from playing a transgender character in the $30 million New Regency film Rub & Tug, to Paramount TV chief Amy Powell being fired for alleged racially insensitive statements. This was just the past nine days.

The idea of being held to task for old social media posts might be new to Hollywood, but we see it rear up all the time in sports, most recently when all-star Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Josh Hader was forced to apologize for old homophobic and racist posts made while he was in high school in 2012.

The first sign of the potential damage here came with the racist Roseanne tweet directed toward Valerie Jarrett that got her tossed off the revival of the sitcom that bore her name. She has been apologizing and rationalizing since, but that sitcom was the bright spot in the ABC schedule, and the Disney-owned network made the hard call to drop her, same as it has Gunn. The network has reconstituted a spinoff with the remaining cast, creatives and crew, calling the show The Conners, but it remains to be seen whether it will be embraced without the show’s lightning rod comedienne.Other incidents include the time when one and one-half of the Two and a Half Men cast were felled by outlandish social media messaging, as both Charlie Sheen and Angus T. Jones issued volatile statements that disparaged the long running hit sitcom.

This opens a new can of worms, and might well have Hollywood people trying to strike old missives. What studio looking to hire a director or cast for a major franchise or family friendly film won’t first look back into past social media posts, because this powderkeg was hiding in plain sight and Disney had to know about it because he was posting with regularity back then.

It reinforces yet again that social media is a fine place to wish people happy birthday and sell things, but the need to foist personal opinions that stick like napalm, is potentially a career ending decision. Gunn’s missives in particular were beyond the pale, and have no place in a family friendly environment that is the core of Disney values. It wasn’t like he was registering these opinions after his career changed dramatically with Guardians of the Galaxy. When he was directing films like Slither, nobody cared much what he thought. But his outspoken liberal opinions made him an easy target for anyone who keeps a record of such outrageous commentary, whether it was delivered sarcastically or not.

Gunn’s Twitter feed was down for a bit, but it’s back up and it’s easy to see he is unsparing in his language. For instance: asked why he was taking part in a reading with a convicted pedophile, he answered:

“Yeah, that was the point of the tweets, dummy. I left. I showed up to the reading and there was a convicted pedophile there – Victor Salva, the director of Jeepers Creepers, and I was fucking horrified.” Salva had served time for molesting a cast member on an early film of his. That was revealed in the run up to the release of Jeepers Creepers, which ironically was released by Disney.

We found these tweets below in a report by Fox News, and perhaps it is not a coincidence that it came from that outlet. Fox News got its ammo from The Daily Caller, One America News Network correspondent Jack Posobiec and right wing commentator Mike Cernovich, and apparently these conservative outlets pounced on old social media after Gunn mocked conservative pundit Ben Shapiro, as he defended liberal actor Mark Duplass after he came under fire and apologized for encouraging his followers to give Shapiro a chance, in the name of hearing views from the other side of the aisle. That is nothing compared to some of the tweets unearthed by Cernovich, which included suggestions that readers email Disney, to complete the takedown.

Here is Gunn defending the prior tweets, which were aggregated by Fox News before his Twitter feed was taken down.

1. Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor.

— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018

2. It’s not to say I’m better, but I am very, very different than I was a few years ago; today I try to root my work in love and connection and less in anger. My days saying something just because it’s shocking and trying to get a reaction are over.

4. For the record, when I made these shocking jokes, I wasn’t living them out. I know this is a weird statement to make, and seems obvious, but, still, here I am, saying it.

5. Anyway, that’s the completely honest truth: I used to make a lot of offensive jokes. I don’t anymore. I don’t blame my past self for this, but I like myself more and feel like a more full human being and creator today. Love you to you all.

Social media, one way or another, will be the death of all of us.

Yeah it's crazy that that came up right at Comicon time, but he should have deleted that shit years ago, knowing that those jokes were very offensive in nature.

Yeah it's crazy that that came up right at Comicon time, but he should have deleted that shit years ago, knowing that those jokes were very offensive in nature.

He probably did, which would explain why it took so long for someone to find them, but nothing is ever really deleted from the internet.

He deleted his (or just took down) his website and deleted 10k + tweets after being called out on this. Phew.

I do like however that he nailed Roseanne for her tweet and then after he gets caught with this take 5 tweets to explain himself .

Loser.

This Superhero stuff is getting a little long in the tooth...

I really hate the Shazam casting (adult).. Kid seems good... But Zachary Levi? Are you fucking for real?

He deleted his (or just took down) his website and deleted 10k + tweets after being called out on this. Phew.

I do like however that he nailed Roseanne for her tweet and then after he gets caught with this take 5 tweets to explain himself .

Loser.

He's discussed this stuff, and apologized for it, years ago. The tweets themselves are a decade old, prior to when he was even involved with Guardians, which one could likely surmise that Disney knew about this before they even hired him.

It's silly that some a-hole on twitter who's gotten butthurt can get someone fired. The desire to avoid any form of negative press on Disney's part is fascinating.

Unrelated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDkg3h8PCVU

source.gif

Edited by Vin

I don't disagree. If they were gonna fire Roseanne though, they had to move on Gunn. They drew the line in the sand... My stance on Gunn is the same as Roseanne though. Said it was jokes, I get that. Gunn said he never acted on any of it and I believe him until it's proven otherwise.

My original thought reading the article was, " Oh no, Guardians 3" if that tells you anything.

Cloak and dagger renewed for another season .

Also Robert Deniro in talks to have a role in Phoenixs Joker origin movie

Justice League wasn't very good.

Cyborg is cool. Flash is lame.

Venom looks cool, but I'm still worried that this movie will do well financially and Sony is going to get stupid making spinoff movies that people don't want. They already are trying to develop a Kraven the Hunter movie.