Milla4Prez63

The Superhero Thread

Oh no.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robert-pattinson-batman-matt-reeves-bruce-wayne-dc-comics-1203125473/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

He’s going from sex symbol to bat symbol. Sources tell Variety that Robert Pattinson is in negotiations to play “The Batman” in Matt Reeves’ forthcoming superhero film, which hits theaters June 25, 2021.

While sources say it’s not yet a done deal, Pattinson is the top choice and it’s expected to close shortly. Warner Bros. had no comment.

Pre-production on the Warner Bros.-DC Comics pic is expected to start this summer.

Reeves, the filmmaker behind the last two “Planet of the Apes” sequels, assumed “Batman” directing duties from Ben Affleck in January 2017 and has been developing the elusive project ever since. Affleck and Warner Bros. began discussing the actor-director leaving the Caped Crusader behind following “Justice League,” allowing Reeves to pick his own Bruce Wayne.

Reeves will produce “The Batman” with his “Planet of the Apes” collaborator Dylan Clark.

Pattinson was cast even as Reeves continues to polish a final version of the script.

A former “Twilight” heartthrob who has successfully turned to arthouse fare, Pattinson, 32, becomes the youngest actor to ever play Batman on the big screen.

Warner Bros., in giving Reeves plenty of time to develop the script, is hoping the latest iteration of the DC icon is done right, following the disappointments of “Batman v Superman” and “Justice League.”

No official start date has been set for “The Batman.” Insiders tell Variety filming could start in late 2019 or early 2020.

Pattinson is about to shoot another film for WB: Christopher Nolan’s event movie co-starring John David Washington, which is set to open July 17, 2020.

Pattinson has a total of four films opening this year, beginning with Claire Denis’ “High Life.” He also appears in Robert Eggers’ “The Lighthouse,” which bows at the Cannes Film Festival, “The King” for Netflix and “Waiting for the Barbarians.”

He is repped by WME, the Curtis Brown Group, and 3 Arts Entertainment.

DC is such a mess. 

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/taika-waititi-thor-4-marvel-chris-hemsworth-1203268964/

Taika Waititi is returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The filmmaker will write and direct the sequel to his 2017 blockbuster “Thor: Ragnarok.”

Waititi’s take on the fourth “Thor” movie puts Warner Bros.’ long-in-development “Akira” adaptation on hold indefinitely. However, the studio hopes that “Akira” can get resume production with Waititi at the helm once he’s done filming “Thor 4.”

“Thor: Ragnarok,” the third spinoff about the crown prince of Asgard (portrayed by a hulking Chris Hemsworth), became a massive success, generating $854 million worldwide in 2017. Hemsworth is expected to reprise his role as the god of thunder the still-untitled fourquel. Marvel and Disney have not yet set a release date for the title.

Waititi recently directed Fox Searchlight’s “Jojo Rabbit,” a satire about a young boy whose mother houses a Jewish girl to hide her from Nazis. Waititi plays the boy’s imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler. The movie is set to release on Oct. 18.

Waititi’s other credits include New Zealand titles “Boy,” “Hunt for the Wilderpeople” and “What We Do in the Shadows,” which he co-directed with Jemaine Clement. He also directed the pilot episode of the new FX series “What We Do in the Shadows.” In “Thor: Ragnarok,” he played the character Korg and reprised that role in “Avengers: Endgame.” He is repped by CAA and Management.

We're in a really big empty window of time when it icomes to Marvel movies aren't we? I mean... Next real stuff drops like.. Fall 2020 doesn't it? This is gonna suuuuck. lol

That's probably a good thing though.  Reduces burnout, for everyone involved.

So all sorts of dates and stuff got announced today.

Black Widow: May 1st, 2020

Eternals: Nov. 6th 2020

Shang-Chi: Feb. 12 2021

Doc Strange 2: May 7th 2021

Thor 4: Nov. 5th 2021

Plus a Blade movie with no date attached to it, and a Hawkeye series, a Loki series, something to do with Scarlett Witch, and a Falcon+Winter Soldier series coming to Disney's streaming platform 2020-2021

Guess we're not getting Keanu in the Eternals.  Shame.

The footage they showed of Black Widow looks great but there’s something in me that wishes we got this a few years ago. Feels kinda lame doing it now but whatever. 

Also, we’re getting to Shang fucking Chi in the MCU and DC can’t even hold together their Bats and Supes lol. 

Give me a fucking Green Lantern movie!!! 

Why the fuck do we need a Black Widow movie? She was hands down one of the most atrocious characters in the MCU. She made me hate looking at Scarlet's face. I was so glad when it was either Hawkeye or BW that was going to die--two supremely annoying characters.

Hawkeye has his own show now ! But it looks like he will be training the next Hawkeye . 

Also Natalie Portman is playing Thor in Thor 4 :O 

Maybe Thor 4 will actually be worth watching. I know I'm in the minority, but the first one was the only one I liked.

I'm a major hater. Popular things have to hold up under extreme scrutiny for me to give a shit and under the radar things get more of a pass because they didn't have the resources the big guys did.

That and as I've gotten older I've been more willing to be critical of things I want to like.

For example, we just saw the new Spiderman last night. I really enjoyed the first one for the most part, but this one kinda fell flat. I was expecting to love it, but man, too much of it was wasted on highschool bullshit. It wasn't half as bad as your average anime (which is why I don't like anime for the most part), but it got really old.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Like 1

Just catching up on my superhero flicks. Avengers Endgame was good. Gonna be really hard for any movie to top that final battle. They did a really good job of giving all those characters their moment while also not shitting on the villain. 

Also just saw Shazam and did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Really hope that DC can keep up with stuff like this. I thought Wonder Woman and Aquaman were pretty good too but man get someone better to do the Justice League movies.

Shazam might be DCs ticket to not being dogshit. Black Adam gonna start filming which is probably gonna have similar vibes... then you're probably looking at a team up / crossover after that. Should be really good shit. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

Shazam might be DCs ticket to not being dogshit. Black Adam gonna start filming which is probably gonna have similar vibes... then you're probably looking at a team up / crossover after that. Should be really good shit. 

To your point, a good green lantern movie would go a long way towards that. Just please Jesus keep Zack Snyder away from DC. He's the fucking worst ever in human history. Worse than Hitler, Mao and Stalin combined. Lol

You ready for that Watchmen show to hit HBO?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

You ready for that Watchmen show to hit HBO?

Didn't know that was a thing. If it's on HBO, then yes. As long as AMC doesn't touch it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Zack_of_Steel said:

Watchmen was good and stayed very true to the book. Aside from the ending.

Really? I mean, in some ways it was but I thought it sucked tbh. The book is 100x's better. 

2 hours ago, seanbrock said:

Really? I mean, in some ways it was but I thought it sucked tbh. The book is 100x's better. 

I really don't understand this at all. The only thing the movie missed was the comic within the comic (which you can have added in with a director's cut) and then they changed the ending from Ozy having all of the best scientists create the monster and teleport it in rather than somehow tricking Dr. Manhattan. That was the only stupid part of the movie, imo.

JD: So, I did some reading, looks like it's an original story rather than a direct adaptation. I'm down with that. And Damon Lindleof (Lost) is showrunner, so that's badass.

While I was trying to see if that trailer was supposed to be based on a sequel I never read, I discovered Doomsday Clock. It's supposed to be well-received, but it's a sequel where Alan Moore did not write it, Gibbons didn't do art, and the story involves slamming the Watchmen universe into the DC universe. Superman is on the fucking cover. Fuck all that shit.

I can't edit anything successfully anymore. I tried embedding a link and it came out all mangled. I can't remove the link from the text. Half the time the integrated "right click" stuff works and (as is the case now) half the time it doesn't. Edit: took me multiple tries to get it to let me paste my shit with the BBCode as plain text. But when just writing it out or pasting the link it keeps trying to "help" me.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/disney-fox-xmen-marvel-studio-losses-1203294296/

Disney has confirmed that big changes are coming to the Fox film division, including word that Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige is inheriting Fox’s comic book heroes like the X-Men franchise.

Disney is also axing the majority of the existing Fox film development slate and refocusing output, after the studio posted a $170 million operating loss in Disney’s fiscal third quarter.

Disney CEO Bob Iger told Wall Street analysts on Tuesday during Disney’s quarterly earnings call that the Fox’s superhero titles would move forward under the stewardship of Feige. In addition, the company’s streaming platform Disney Plus will get four big brands from Fox to adapt as straight-to-service content. Those include the Macaulay Culkin holiday franchise “Home Alone,” the historical action romp “Night at the Museum,” the family comedy “Cheaper by the Dozen” and the live-action “The Diary of a Wimpy Kid.”

It’s likely not a coincidence that those properties come from deep in the Fox film vault. Disney chief financial officer Christine McCarthy revealed Fox film was at an operating loss of $170 million for the quarter, and that the division was one of several recently acquired assets to come in “well under our expectations.” In the same quarter last year, Disney estimated that Fox’s film unit generated $180 million in operating income.

Disney pinned this on the performance of “Dark Phoenix,” a flop that represented the latest chapter in the X-Men franchise as fans knew it, which only grossed $65 million domestic on a $200 million budget (overseas grosses were kinder, to the tune of $186 million). Losses were also attributed to marketing costs on upcoming titles (like “Ford v. Ferrari,” which was the only film Iger singled out from the inherited Fox release calendar).

“One of the biggest issues was the Fox studio performance which was well below where it had been and well below where we hoped it would be when we made the acquisition,” Iger said.

While many industry insiders have speculated about the long-term survival of Fox as a standalone content engine — as Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar exist under Disney and its top-earning film and animation shops — Iger said he’s assigned his top film lieutenants Alan Horn and Alan Bergman to apply the same “discipline and creative standards” to the division now run by Emma Watts. This means tossing the majority of projects in development, Iger said, taking the label “in a new direction, with an all new development slate that will focus on a select group of properties.”

James Cameron’s sequels to “Avatar” will proceed, as well as a continuation of the “Planet of the Apes” series (no new film in that series has been announced since the release of 2017’s “War for the Planet of the Apes”). Iger also said indie label Fox Searchlight will continue on its current trajectory and also make movies for Disney Plus. Overall, Fox’s film divisions will pare back the total number of releases, he said.

“It will probably take a solid year, maybe two years, before we can have an impact on the films in production. We’re all confident we’re going to turn around the results of Fox live action,” Iger said.

Under Disney, Fox has films dated through the end of 2020, including Steven Spielberg’s take on “West Side Story,” the Amy Adams thriller “Woman in the Window” and Brad Pitt’s astronaut drama “Ad Astra.”

Yeah...Disney doing what we all expected. I was rooting for Comcast for a reason :sigh:

Anybody else watch The Boys? Woooooooo

• Upvote 1

I was watching episode six, then the show ended and I tried to watch the next one.

Turns out it was actually episode eight.

I don't know what it means, but it means something.

I really don't like that Homelander looks like a budget Jason Bateman.

Edited by Vin

You made it through the Dolphin rescue AND gill fingering? 

Color me surprised. I just gotta expect the unexpected with you. lol

I was really expecting that we were gonna get dolphin relations.

Somehow what we got was more tame.